Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

anybody else getting a ff7 vibe from this game?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke

im not talking about in the character designs, (because i know ill hear people say lightning = cloud) but i dunno something about this game i get a real nice ff7 vibe,  

only thing i can think of is 13 has a great cast like 7 did for people (except for hope, hes a little whiney emo-boy imo) 

anyone else get that vibe  or im alone on this

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Lightning was WAY more of a character than Cloud. Cloud was probably the worst FF protagonist of all the ones I've played. I guess it was kind of in his nature to have no real personality, but still.

I'm also glad that there are no ridiculous characters in XIII, no stupid ass cats on top of robots, or dogs, or little girls with giant shurikens, or a man with gatling guns for an arm. 

Barthandelus > Sephiroth because Barthandelus doesn't moan and complain about his mother and he does more than stare at you through fire. And Barthandelus doesn't prove his worth by killing young girls.

Cristofyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Cristofyr

I got the exact opposite vibe. I got more of an VIII vibe myself. The sort of love it or hate it kind of game where I'm firmly on the side of "hate it".
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Rhaknar

i didnt get any VII vibe at all and I finished 13... the only thing similar between both is that its the only 2 final fantasy games I ever finished >_>

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By EpicSteve

Wasn't it practically a bullet point that Lightning is a female interpretation of Cloud?

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Addfwyn

Not really, I much prefer this game over FF7, though I find 7 hideously overrated to begin with.  The Cocoon side of things are a bit more technologically advanced than most FF7 stuff, and I'd say the characters are overall a lot more interesting (including Lightning versus Cloud).  I guess in terms of setting, Cocoon is closest to Midgard of the FFs, but that's about it. 

Usually, I don't get much of a feel of past FFs from a new FF, unless it's like FFX and FFX-2 or something.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7  Edited By Symphony
    @EpicSteve said:
    " Wasn't it practically a bullet point that Lightning is a female interpretation of Cloud? "
    Lightning is not Cloud, auuuugh! The one thing they have in common -- they were both soldiers isn't even really correct. Cloud was a failed soldier pretending to be one, while Lightning was a legitimate soldier who was about to be promoted, so they don't even share that in common. So without that, what do they have in common. NOTHING. 

Not their hair stylies, not their clothes, not their weapons, not even their gender. Their names both pertain to the sky? Okay... I guess that's something...maybe...? Though Light even explains why she took that name and it's said what her real name is, while Cloud is just Cloud.... so again, not similar!  

If anything Lightning is more like Squall at least they share the same sort of weapon and serious demeanor, though Light isn't an overdramatic emotional teenager who won't talk to anyone, so even this is a stretch, but it's closer than any comparisons one can make between her and Cloud!
    Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Psytek
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By gla55jAw

FFX vibe.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Psytek said:
    " From the Giant bomb FFXIII page:  

For her design, character designer Tetsuya Nomura was asked to create a "female version of Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII." "
    Physical design. Lightning is nothing like Cloud. The characters in this game aren't developed close enough to anything as deep as Cloud.
    Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Lawrens

Yea the entire game felt like the Midgar section of FF7. 

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @gla55jAw said:
    " @Psytek said:

For her design, character designer Tetsuya Nomura was asked to create a "female version of Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII." "
    Physical design. Lightning is nothing like Cloud. The characters in this game aren't developed close enough to anything as deep as Cloud. "
    Did you just say Cloud is a deep character? 

LOL
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By raviolisumo
    @Kombat said:
    " @gla55jAw said:
    " @Psytek said:

Physical design. Lightning is nothing like Cloud. The characters in this game aren't developed close enough to anything as deep as Cloud. "
    Did you just say Cloud is a deep character?  LOL "
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Kombat said:
    " @gla55jAw said:
    " @Psytek said:

More so than the characters in 13.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Teran
    @mrfluke said:

" im not talking about in the character designs, (because i know ill hear people say lightning = cloud) but i dunno something about this game i get a real nice ff7 vibe,   only thing i can think of is 13 has a great cast like 7 did for people (except for hope, hes a little whiney emo-boy imo)  anyone else get that vibe  or im alone on this "

You should finish the game before posting stuff like this.  You make it sound as if he had no reason to be angry, did you miss the part where his mom dies?  What about the part where he gets dragged along with the man he blames for his mother's death?  Did you notice the dramatic personality difference between him at the end of the game and him at the beginning?

I did get the FF7 vibe though, mainly because of the urban environments and Lightning in particular.

@Kombat

said:

" @gla55jAw said:

" @Psytek said:

For her design, character designer  Tetsuya Nomura was asked to create a "female version of  Cloud Strife from  Final Fantasy VII." "
    He was a deep character, but not necessarily because he was fleshed out so well in FF7.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By raviolisumo
    @Teran: Explain how he's deep. 
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Teran
    @Wes899 said:
    " @Teran: Explain how he's deep.  "
    Here you go, let me know if you have any more questions.
    Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Psytek

There are definitely parallels with the FFVII setting in XIII, people seem to be getting into argument about quality, but that's not what this topic is. OP didn't say "FFXIII is better than FFVII" he said he was getting a FFVII vibe, and I think he's right, he just isn't articulating it very clearly. 

There's the theme of an oppressive and power-hungry ruling body, in this case the cocoon fal'cie and the sanctum, in FFVII shinra. 
    There's a bad guy behind the scenes pulling the strings and trying to orchestrate the destruction of everyone on the planet. (Barthandelus, Sephiroth) 
    Lightning is a former solider, and there are lines which are blatantly dropping the SOLDIER reference at the start of 13. Her outfit bears a lot of throwbacks to clouds, with the sleeveless zip-up cardigan under her jacket. 

You idiots need to stop getting hung up on which character/game is better. The fact remains, this is a final fnatasy game, the themes throughout the whole series don't deviate too much, and this one in particular was designed with the intention of capturing certain facets of 7.  

Also, in terms of character depth, XIII's characters are much deeper. But really it's a technical limitation. The emotional range of the characters in 7 basically boiled down to what hand motions the characters could make, and in XIII they are more able to emote. 
     FFVII had very little character development aside from the flashback for cloud and for sephiroth. You barely find out anything about any of the other characters except for vincent. In FFXIII, most of the characters have fully realised back stories, and there are some very convincing emotional situations, like Sazh with his kid, the dynamic between Fang and Vanille, the development of the relationship between Snow and Lightning and Hope's maturation (although Hope's is the least convincing for me). 

And before everyone jumps down my throat, I'll just say, 7 is still my favorite final fantasy, but the character development is better in XIII, it has to be, it's been 13 years, storytelling in games has got better in general. And the OP's point is correct, there are a lot of similarities between 7 and 13, if you care to look, instead of just arguing about which game is better. (which was not the topic)

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By raviolisumo
    @Teran: Hahaha. OH SHIT. You're so clever. That brings up wikipedia, the shitty FF wiki, and what appear to be a torrent of terrible DA quality Cloud Fanart. You're gonna say he's deep and then offer nothing?
    valleyshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By valleyshrew

The start of the game yeah, the train mission and the first boss, and some of the characters (e.g. Sazh has a young child and his wife is dead, same with barret in ffvii although it was adopted daughter). But it is really not very like VII overall. Cocoon isnt really like midgar or anything in VII. It's a lot more like X with the fantasy land and gods.

I thought the opposite about lightning and cloud. Cloud has a lot of story, we know a lot about his life in soldier, his childhood, etc. What do we know about lightning? She was a security guard and has a sister. Her parents are dead because they're too lazy to design more than 1 set of parents in XIII. We dont see her hometown, we dont see her history or any of that which builds character.  Yes she has loads more dialogue but it's generic and there's only a couple of plot points involving her that I remember (punching snow & being a mother to hope). Cloud is more silent etc. because he's meant to represent the player a bit with the dialogue and you only control him on maps, but he has more depth because of the story we go through with him.

@Psytek:   FFVII had very little character development aside from the flashback for cloud and for sephiroth. You barely find out anything about any of the other characters except for vincent. In FFXIII, most of the characters have fully realised back stories, and there are some very convincing emotional situations, like Sazh with his kid, the dynamic between Fang and Vanille, the development of the relationship between Snow and Lightning and Hope's maturation (although Hope's is the least convincing for me).

I cant believe you have ever actually played VII. Are you just thinking of advent children instead of the actual original game? There is FAAAAAAAR more development to the backstories of characters in VII. Every character except maybe caith sith has a hometown, family and backstory. You mention vincent and yet he's the one I can least remember as being developed, maybe it was in dirge of cerberus? XIII characters have the opposite of realised backstories. Take vanille and fang for example, what do we learn when we go through oerba? Barely anything, there's no other characters there. We know that they are like 500 years old and some other forgettable stuff about them going ragnarok whatever that means. VII doesn't have fully realised backgrounds as no game does, but it has pretty deep interesting ones:

Cid is an extremely ill tempered smoker and pilot. We dont know why he's so angry all the time until we go to rocket town where he lives with shera, he treats her badly because she messed up his dreams of space flight but despite this he loves her. We take Cid into space and realise his dreams.

Nanaki is from cosmo canyon an ancient town built into cliffs, his father Seto died heroically saving the town unbeknownst to nanaki who thought he deserted him and his mother and he hates him. He was kidnapped and experimented on by Hojo and the party finds him in the laboratory where they initially think he's a dangerous animal but he is an ancient sagacious and articulate friend. We meet his grandfather bugenhagen who used to work for shinra and shares his deep knowledge of the world with us.

Barett is the leader of an environmental terrorist group fighting against Shinra, he is a funny character with colourful language. His friends die in the opening mission and he feels bad. He seeks revenge on Shinra. He has a backstory with Dyne both from the town of Corel, they fought over a woman and it explains how he lost his hand where afterwards he adopted Dyne's daughter. Barret is forced to kill his old friend in the story and reveals his true selfish motives for wanting to destroy shinra not for environmentalism but because they destroyed his town and killed his wife.

Tifa is a childhood friend of cloud and doesnt have much backstory of her own. It's still more than any character of XIII including sazh and his kid. Unless you're counting episode zero, there's basically no backstory to sazh and his kid in the game.

Yuffie wants to be an ancient warrior and is ashamed that her town has become a tourist attraction. She's a thief and steals your characters stuff, then you rescue her from the crime lord who earlier you had dressed up as a prostitute for with tifa aeris and cloud.

I cba going on, but honestly it is truly ridiculous to argue that there is more depth to the characters in XIII, at least from a backstory and plot perspective. Yes they have more realistic portrayal and more dialogue, but they have far far far far less history. These plot points I've mentioned arent just forgettable backstories, we get to play them out. We go find seto and nanaki realises the sacrifice his father made and it is extremely moving. We go into space. We go to Corel the mining town and fight with Dyne. We bomb Midgar, we rescue yuffie, we get put in prison, we escape from prison by winning a chocobo race, we dont watch these things in cutscenes or read a few lines in a datalog, we PLAY them out. We chase after aerith only to watch as she gets killed. We play out clouds trip through the lifestream and as he regains his memories. We explore the enormous shinra building where we solve puzzles, sleep, find the president murdered, fight with his son, etc. Compare that with the plot in XIII, it's run to the end of the map and then watch your characters talking, we dont get to play out the story mixed in with parts of the history.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @valleyshrew: For the 190348239382393th time, it is all about the way the plot is structured. Final Fantasy 7 and 13 are very different from each other in the way their stories are told. FF7 is very traditional wandering around from area to area as the main character with big goals in mind. To see those goals out they have to stop at random places along the way. This opens more room for backstory and just hours of the game completely offtrack from the main plot. While it did flesh out the characters quite well a lot of those moments had nothing to do with the actual story. 

Final Fantasy 13 on the other hand is very focused. The characters are constantly moving forward towards their main goal (despite not knowing what that goal is) and given the circumstances of the world there isn't much side tracking that can be done anyway. Remember when they tried to take a break at Hope's house? Exactly. FF13's story just doesn't allow the same kind of character development FF7 had. Most of what we learn about each character in 13 is via a flashback and while I can honestly say I do like the structure of 7 more I am glad they went a different route with 13 and still managed to make a compelling cast of characters. Overall I like the cast of 13 more than 7 but they certainly aren't as detailed as Cloud and gang, but that is just my opinion you don't have to agree with it nor do I care if you do.

That said, Final Fantasy 7 also has a movie and 4.5 games that explore the world and characters a bit more (and a book or something in Japan iirc), 13 doesn't.
    voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By voodooterror

i think the fact that it was nothing like VII was one of its problems

hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hai2u

besides the fact that they tried to make another cloud in lightning, no there was nothing in this game that was like FFVII.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Teran
    @Wes899 said:
    " @Teran: Hahaha. OH SHIT. You're so clever. That brings up wikipedia, the shitty FF wiki, and what appear to be a torrent of terrible DA quality Cloud Fanart. You're gonna say he's deep and then offer nothing? "
    I offered you a source of information.  If you refuse to acknowledge that everything you have said so far is wrong that just weakens your position further.  The fact that you can't seem to figure out how to do a google search is amusing to me.  If you want to participate in a discussion knowing something about the topic would benefit you greatly.  If you don't have basic knowledge of the subject you just let us all know up front you've got nothing but hot air to add.
    supersatanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By supersatanic
    @Cristofyr:@Cristofyr said:
    " I got the exact opposite vibe. I got more of an VIII vibe myself. The sort of love it or hate it kind of game where I'm firmly on the side of "hate it". "
    I hate VIII too. The combat is ok  but the story is a complete and utter mess. Squall's love story dosen't work at all. Seifer is just a lame version of sephiroth ( Notice the similarity in names) and all the time- compression stuff made me lose my freaking wits more than a couple of times. Still I like this game, It's "The wild bunch" of the final fantasy universe.
    Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me check my pants........nope...wait.....nah.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.