Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Final Fantasy XIII - RPGFan Review

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Here is a very in-depth review for FFXIII: 

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Final_Fantasy_XIII/index.html     

What transpires from the review is that the game has a lot of technical qualities, like awesome graphics, a great soundtrack, voice work, battle system but isn't all that great in the plot, though it has its moments, nor memorable. But a landmark game.  

Everyone has seen their share of FFXIII reviews, but this one is a very good and accurate one.  

Cheers

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By asurastrike
    @Jeust said:
    " Here is a very in-depth review for FFXIII: 

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Final_Fantasy_XIII/index.html      What transpires from the review is that the game has a lot of technical qualities, like awesome graphics, a great soundtrack, voice work, battle system but isn't all that great in the plot, though it has its moments, nor memorable. But a landmark game.   Everyone has seen their share of FFXIII reviews, but this one is a very good and accurate one.   Cheers "
    How do you know it's accurate? Have you played it?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

Awesome graphics and bland story! That's exactly what I want from a JRPG!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @Asurastrike said:

" @Jeust said:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Final_Fantasy_XIII/index.html      What transpires from the review is that the game has a lot of technical qualities, like awesome graphics, a great soundtrack, voice work, battle system but isn't all that great in the plot, though it has its moments, nor memorable. But a landmark game.   Everyone has seen their share of FFXIII reviews, but this one is a very good and accurate one.   Cheers "

How do you know it's accurate? Have you played it? "
    Actually i have... A friend of mine imported from Japan, as the game is really cheap now. 
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By asurastrike
    @Jeust said:
    " @Asurastrike said:

" @Jeust said:

Actually i have... A friend of mine imported from Japan, as the game is really cheap now.  "
    Ah, cool. I'll be skipping FF13, story and gameplay are far more important to me when it comes to RPGS than graphics are.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeust
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @Asurastrike said:

" @Jeust said:

Actually i have... A friend of mine imported from Japan, as the game is really cheap now.  "
    Ah, cool. I'll be skipping FF13, story and gameplay are far more important to me when it comes to RPGS than graphics are. "
    Yep, but unfortunatly though the gameplay is excelent in some of the latter jrpg games, most of them don't excel at story. 
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By asurastrike
    @Jeust said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" @Jeust said:
    " @Asurastrike said:

" @Jeust said:

Ah, cool. I'll be skipping FF13, story and gameplay are far more important to me when it comes to RPGS than graphics are. "
    Yep, but unfortunatly though the gameplay is excelent in some of the latter jrpg games, most of them don't excel at story.  "
    Persona 4, The World Ends With You, and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story are really the only Jrpgs I've enjoyed in a long time. Up until recently I was excited for FF13, but it sounds like it lacks everything I like in an RPG.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeust
    @Asurastrike: I hear ya! I've enjoyed quite a few rpgs in the last few years, but just two of them are from this generation, and neither have an impressive storyline.  

Lost Odyssey has a well crafted storyline, for instance, but it kinds of drags towards the ending, though the plot twists really feel natural, and made me unexpectedly emotional at times due to the tender characterization given to the characters. And the last dvd is a bit of crazy difficult. :p 

Infinite Undiscovery on the other hand has a fairy tale story, more than FF - if that is possible - and tells about the moon chained down by a misterious foe, bringing doom down to Earth, and the need to save them above all else. It seems generic, but with good and believable characters, and that plot, and good gameplay, it really is fun. 

But most this generation jrpg games don't seem trully interesting from the plot point of view. I love awesome stories!!! 

I've actually never played Persona 4, as i vowed i'd finish Persona 3: FES before playing it. But i have to say that the latest Persona games seem the best jrpgs in a long time. 

World Ends With You, i hated the gameplay, so i didn't play it all that much. 

About Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story  i hear many good things, but... A rpg... for Mario... i have a tough time accepting such idea.  But i'll have to come around as it sounds really awesome. 
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By asurastrike
    @Jeust said:
    " @Asurastrike: About Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story  i hear many good things, but... A rpg... for Mario... i have a tough time accepting such idea.  But i'll have to come around as it sounds really awesome.  "
    They have been making Mario RPG's for a long time. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars came out for SNES in 1996. Bowser's inside story was preceded by Partners in Time(2005),  and Superstar Saga(2003). So yeah, Mario RPGS are here to stay. :P
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeust
    @Asurastrike: I know... i played a little of the Legend of the Seven Stars. But  i think i've played too much Mario! I finished SMB and SMB 2, played the All Stars compilation, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros, besides the original Super Mario Kart and the ds version. That's a LOT of Mario for me to handle! 
    Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Magresda

Do yourself a favor and ignore the frantically flawed scoring this author used. Other than that, it's a pretty accurate review.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By KaosAngel

It's too high.  I got almost all the trophies...and called it quit with how stupid the end game gets once you break the fucking battle system.  

Got it pretty much at launch and wasted about 10000円 ($100), this game deserves no more than an 80%.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

RPGfan is a big fan of the RPGs, rarely gives a bad review. Really if the guy is willing to review it at all, its worth assuming it'll score high. Just for a point of reference, Glory of Heracles got a 85%. Did the QL of Glory scream "above average" to you?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
    @ryanwho said:
    " RPGfan is a big fan of the RPGs, rarely gives a bad review. Really if the guy is willing to review it at all, its worth assuming it'll score high. Just for a point of reference, Glory of Heracles got a 85%. Did the QL of Glory scream "above average" to you? "
    Take away the FF name from this game and I fucking bet you that this would NOT get ANY hype, and would be treated under a microscope.  Those fucking FF fanboys can't see a bad game, these are the same idiots who say FFX-2 was "passable".  This game better get the harsh reality of reviews and make it known the Versus XIII is the game to be looking out for.  

Nomura and the older FF crew are working on that and not the crap in FF13. 
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SamStrife
    @KaosAngel: Here here.  FFXIII looks like a JRPG company trying to make a more Western RPG and failing at it every step of the way, they stepped out their comfort zones and it kinda shows.   

Versus though; I'm still reserving my judgement for now, but it has a far better chance than XIII purely because it's got a Veteran team working on it.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho

Im still wondering what specifically it was in 13 that took so long to make, considering what already appeared to be done in the first trailer. The only thing I could think of would be the cities and optional content, which is what  took 12 so long. But there aren't any cities, and I've heard nothing about the optional stuff.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Gabriel

Until Japanese developers get rid of their stupid cliched anime story lines I'm not playing another JRPG (exceptions Demon's Souls and Persona)

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SamStrife
    @Gabriel: They aren't cliched stories though, are they?  
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
    @ryanwho said:
    " Im still wondering what specifically it was in 13 that took so long to make, considering what already appeared to be done in the first trailer. The only thing I could think of would be the cities and optional content, which is what  took 12 so long. But there aren't any cities, and I've heard nothing about the optional stuff. "
    Dude, I had the same question when I beat the game.  The only thing I can say is that they are stalling time for the Versus XIII team.  FF13 has been in development since early 2005 with Versus and Agito.  My only guess is that Square Enix is giving Numura all the time and money he needs to make Versus XIII the game everyone has wanted since Final Fantasy VI. 
    dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By dietmango

Hopefully there's going to be news on Versus XIII on the next E3. Since Nomura's done with XIII he has more time now to do his own projects, KH3 included in there probably.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KaosAngel
    @asian_pride said:
    " Hopefully there's going to be news on Versus XIII on the next E3. Since Nomura's done with XIII he has more time now to do his own projects, KH3 included in there probably. "
    Numura never did anything on FF13.  He's just credited for art and some minor story stuff.  The idiots who made FF12's story did FF13...the second tier team.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Gabriel
    @SamStrife said:
    " @Gabriel: They aren't cliched stories though, are they?   "
    Demons Souls has nothing to do with anime, and something about Persona 4 was quite enjoyable.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Diamond
    @ryanwho: Probably the graphical fidelity and voice acting / character model acting.  Also the CG bits.  Those are always the biggest drain on any game development, and FF13 being one of the best looking games coming...
    Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII
    @Gabriel said:

" Until Japanese developers get rid of their stupid cliched anime story lines I'm not playing another JRPG (exceptions Demon's Souls and Persona) "

Persona is the epitome of the anime story, Demon's Souls is the epitome of the overused general fantasy story.  So what is a boring cliched story and what is not entirely depends on whether or not you enjoy it.  

Does not compute.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By natetodamax

I refuse to read a review that starts off by calling two games overrated.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel

Just pray that Numura's dream with Versus XIII doesn't get fucked up.  Agito XIII and Versus XIII can bring this series back, FF13 was rushed and is shit compared to what Squaresoft has done before.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.