Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

How many times did they have to reuse enemy models?

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By lucas_kelly

I feel like I've seen the same monsters about 5 times now. Same models, just different texture. This is just plain laziness, they spent five years on this game and they still have to reuse models. I know this has been done in previous Final Fantasy games, but no where near to this extent.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

...just wait until you do the Missions.  :)

EDIT: There are some legit mobs that are very unique...and one "out of this world foe" that you face every prime numbered mission (or close to it).  Plus you got the super elite turtle with broken horns and larger sized, monster ochu (bigger and redder), an old classic foe from the 8-bit past!, and another one I can't mention.

But the others are just reskinned mobs.  >.>

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure

Seems in line with other games, since like every other RPG on the face of the earth does it. 

Granted maybe I am just jaded after seeing the same wolf model in Elwynn Forest in Outlands 2 years later when playing WoW. >_>

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By meteora
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " I feel like I've seen the same monsters about 5 times now. Same models, just different texture. This is just plain laziness, they spent five years on this game and they still have to reuse models. I know this has been done in previous Final Fantasy games, but no where near to this extent. "
    At this rate you'd wonder what the hell have they been doing all this time. =P
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By FCKSNAP

Modern game design at it's finest. It's no longer because of RAM constraints, but because of money constraints.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CL60

If you played FFX, it was nearly the same in terms of using the same models for everything.

@KaosAngel said:

" ...just wait until you do the Missions.  :) "

Just go away and stop trolling every single FF13 topic.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @CL60: How is that trolling?  Have you done the missions and seen them?  I have, almost 5 starred them all execpt Mission 54 and the 60s, and can't 5 star the cactus.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @CL60: How is that trolling?  Have you done the missions and seen them?  I have, almost 5 starred them all execpt Mission 54 and the 60s, and can't 5 star the cactus. "
    It is trolling when you go into every FF13 topic and complain about the game in 1 way or another.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
    @CL60: I didn't complain, did you not read the post?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @CL60: I didn't complain, did you not read the post? "
    Congratulations, you know how to edit posts after somebody quotes you.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @CL60: Yuppers.  :)
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fallen189
    @CL60 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @CL60: How is that trolling?  Have you done the missions and seen them?  I have, almost 5 starred them all execpt Mission 54 and the 60s, and can't 5 star the cactus. "
    It is trolling when you go into every FF13 topic and complain about the game in 1 way or another. "
    It's because we're white baka gaijins, who don't support the glorious nation of Nippon.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Turambar
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " I feel like I've seen the same monsters about 5 times now. Same models, just different texture. This is just plain laziness, they spent five years on this game and they still have to reuse models. I know this has been done in previous Final Fantasy games, but no where near to this extent. "
    I won't mind calling the likes of Dragon Age and Mass Effect lazy as well then in that case.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

There is no game that does not re use the character models. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @The_Laughing_Man: Heavy Rain
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @KaosAngel said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Heavy Rain "

Fully outside of the scope of the convo. Go away. *I dont feel like being nice anymore*  

O and chaos. Heavy rain does re use models. So shut up.  

Your reputation as a troll/jerk is growing at an amazing rate.
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By bonbolapti

How many games have you played and it takes FFXIII to notice that?

Heavy rain does it too.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DystopiaX

am I wrong, or does this not happen in not only every FF game, but every JRPG? get used to it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Turambar
    @DystopiaX said:
    " am I wrong, or does this not happen in not only every FF game, but every JRPG? get used to it. "
    It'd be just as accurate to say every RPG, period.  "Almost every game" might be a fairly accurate as well.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    It is a way to save money. If they had to design different creatures for all the encounters..do you have ANY idea how much that would cost...how much space that would need? Think about it..FF13 for 360 has three disks..how many would it be if they had different models? (Might even get the PS3 to two disks) 
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Turambar
    @The_Laughing_Man: Come on, let's not go overboard.  Yes, it would have taken alot more man hours and development time, but I somehow doubt storage capacity would have been stretched at all.  You would essentially just be replacing the pallette swapped enemy models with original ones.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Turambar said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Come on, let's not go overboard.  Yes, it would have taken alot more man hours and development time, but I somehow doubt storage capacity would have been stretched at all.  You would essentially just be replacing the pallette swapped enemy models with original ones. "
    Did not wanna make the 360 owners think I was just targeting them. But more space would have been used. Im just saying. Everyone does it. 
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DystopiaX
    @The_Laughing_Man: it's less space and more that if they had more models, they'd have to hire more artists to draw them, or extend the production cycle.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By vidiot
    @Turambar said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " am I wrong, or does this not happen in not only every FF game, but every JRPG? get used to it. "
    It'd be just as accurate to say every RPG, period.  "Almost every game" might be a fairly accurate as well. "
    Apparently we forgot about color swapped sprites in previous Final Fantasy games. The enemy variety so far in this game has been just fine.
    Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cynical_Gamer
    @lucas_kelly said:
    They spent 4 years on FMVs and 1 year on the actual gameplay including monsters, etc.. If they actually balanced the 5 years to develop the game right you probably would see more variety of monsters.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Meowayne

since like every other RPG on the face of the earth does it.

I may be wrong here, but Final Fantasies VII, VIII and IX had little, if not no palette swapping at all.

(but I don't mind palette swapping that much)
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shinri

I don't recall seeing people complain about how most of the enemies in games like Gears and CoD use the same models over and over again, and not even reskinned. You must be getting really desperate in your nitpicking if you're complaining about something seen in almost every game EVER.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By danielkempster
    @Meowayne said:
    "

since like every other RPG on the face of the earth does it.

I may be wrong here, but Final Fantasies VII, VIII and IX had little, if not no palette swapping at all.   (but I don't mind palette swapping that much) "
    VIII and IX had no palette swapping at all in terms of enemy design, from what I recall. VII had it, though, but not in an overload sense.

I also agree with you on the not-minding palette swapping thing. If anything, I think it makes game worlds more cohesive by implying that there are several types of a common species.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By davidwitten22

I get annoyed at Pallette swapping, but I've played enough Dragon Warrior games to be used to it.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By TheHBK
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Heavy Rain "

Fully outside of the scope of the convo. Go away. *I dont feel like being nice anymore*   O and chaos. Heavy rain does re use models. So shut up.   Your reputation as a troll/jerk is growing at an amazing rate. "
    Totally agree. First has to bash this game.  Then make it seem like he would suck Squares dick.  Then He makes up lies about his life, its unbelievable.  Palette swapping is acceptable in only one game.  Mortal Kombat.  But we are not talking about different creatures, its just they have an idea and think that pallette swapping is enough to say its a new creature.  You fight the same enemies in all games but imagine the dev telling you that the red one is different from the blue one.  Not like it has special designations on it.  Just leave it red, and thats it.
    I think all the money and time went into the cutscenes.  And trying to get people to like that gay guy Snow.
    Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Moridin

Welcome to the world of the RPG.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Hmmm the same thing happend in ff1-12.  Same sprite, different colors, same enemy model but difference colors or textures.
    In any given final fantasy there are between and only that many 150-250 different monsters in a game, with 200-300 different monsters when your add the different variations of monsters...in such big games as final fantasy your gonna run into some of the same enemy sprites or models but with different stats and colors.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Turambar

There's also the idea that completely reworking the textures and details on an enemy model is easy and effortless.  Maybe it is when you're just putting on a new coat of paint and giving it a different weapon (I'm looking at you Geths, Krogans, Hurlocks and Gemlocks), but at least in the case of this game, not at all.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lambert

Yeah, I did find it annoying.

And for the apologists and fanboys, no fucking duh devs reuse assets; other devs do a much better job of hiding it.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Getz

This isn't a problem unique to FFXIII, they did the same thing in all the other Final Fantasy games, in many games before and since. If you're an artist, and your job is to model every single enemy in a game as massive as Final Fantasy, you're gonna reuse some designs it's just how the games industry works. If they had to make 500 separate models the game would have taken another year to come out.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Meowayne
    @Getz said:
    " This isn't a problem unique to FFXIII, they did the same thing in all the other Final Fantasy games,
    As was said above, no they didn't.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cornman89

Huh. I didn't notice it.... Well, okay, I remember that big neon mechanical horse thing got, like, three palette swaps, but that was all I noticed.

It's still got nothing on Eternal Sonata.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Getz
    @Meowayne said:
    " @Getz said:
    " This isn't a problem unique to FFXIII, they did the same thing in all the other Final Fantasy games,
    As was said above, no they didn't. "
    Just because you said it doesn't make it so. They did it in FFX, FFXII, FFVIII and FFXI. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.