Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

My most annoying character in the game

Macca402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Macca402

Hey Everyone longtime stalker of the forums first time poster. 

I thought i would share with everyone the so far only thing i really dont like about the game.  Thats one character, now just before i reveal that character i know the majority of people out there find Vanille to be the most annoying character in the game but i actually really like her so far, im about 5 hours into the game and i find her a wonderful change from the brooding, sulky party members of other JRPG's i really think Vanille is utterly adoreable. 

The one character i must say i really cant stand though is Hope i can't stand his sulky constant whining i just find his dialog, his cut scenes so far and just him to be so Blergh.  As i said im only about 5 hours in does he continue to be such a whiny little tool or without spoiling the game or plot for me, just a yes or no answer guys does he eventually man up and stop being such a whiny tool? 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

I like Vanille as well. People just think she's too bubbly.

Macca402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Macca402
    @LiquidPrince:
    I personally love her bubblyness i find her easily the most adorable character in an RPG i have played in a while 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Macca402 said:
    " @LiquidPrince:I personally love her bubblyness i find her easily the most adorable character in an RPG i have played in a while  "
    Same.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

I like all the characters. I think Hope's sulkiness is a reminder of what Snow did (well, there's nothing Snow can do about his Mother). 

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Welcome to the forums part dude ^_^

Yeah, i dislike Lightning believe it or not. She's sort of cocky and she thinks she's the shit or something.

Hope also looks and sounds like a whiny little girl. He's surely gay.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By the8bitNacho

Hope I don't like.  At all. 

I do hear a lot of folks complaining about Vanille.  I don't find her character at all annoying, but it's a bit awkward once you notice that her voice seems to shift between a generic anime girl style, and a sort of Aussie accent.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @CornontheCobbe said:
    " Welcome to the forums part dude ^_^  Yeah, i dislike Lightning believe it or not. She's sort of cocky and she thinks she's the shit or something. Hope also looks and sounds like a whiny little girl. He's surely gay. "
    When Nomura created Lightning, he was told to invent a female version of Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII.  I'm guessing she'll soften up a bit throughout the game, kind of like he did before regressing in Advent Children.
    Macca402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Macca402
    @ch13696:

Thanks in my stalking of the forums i have found it to be quite a nice place, less arguments than most forums.

@CornontheCobbe: 

I find Lightning OK but i agree she does seem very cocky.  I also see what your saying about the Hope Snow thing and thats fine i dont mind him being a total sulk till he eventually grows a set and talks it out with Snow but really could he not just shut up,  I wouldn't find him half as annoying if he wasn't constantly trying to speak then just bottling it and then going in a huff 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Kombat said:
    " Hope I don't like.  At all.  I do hear a lot of folks complaining about Vanille.  I don't find her character at all annoying, but it's a bit awkward once you notice that her voice seems to shift between a generic anime girl style, and a sort of Aussie accent. "
    I think it's the Aussie accent that adds to her cuteness but that's just me.
    tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tomte

well, it all have alot to do with the voice actor.

Like in vanillas case, the japanese VA was good, but ireally dont like the english one.
    In Hopes case its the opposite, his japanase VA sucks or well, im sure he's gay so...

I like Lightning for the first 30 hours of the game, but she becomes boring later on...

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By 02sfraser

only played around 4 or 5 hours of it so can i really judge? but i have to say Hope. complete pain in the arse!

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By TheKing

Vanille is almost ruining the game for me. She is generic TERRIBLE anime girl, it's like they made her with cosplay conventions and weeaboos in mind. 

Macca402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Macca402
    @Kombat said:
    " @CornontheCobbe said:
    " Welcome to the forums part dude ^_^  Yeah, i dislike Lightning believe it or not. She's sort of cocky and she thinks she's the shit or something. Hope also looks and sounds like a whiny little girl. He's surely gay. "
    When Nomura created Lightning, he was told to invent a female version of Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII.  I'm guessing she'll soften up a bit throughout the game, kind of like he did before regressing in Advent Children. "
    I can see that in Lightning absolutely.  I suppose in a way its good to see a strong female lead that doesn't carry the argument of being a overly sexual female front ie Croft and Bayonetta   
    Macca402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Macca402
    @02sfraser said:
    " only played around 4 or 5 hours of it so can i really judge? but i have to say Hope. complete pain in the arse! "

Im in the same boat just approaching my 5th Hour but i am loosing the will with Hope i can see him as a character who i shall never use once you get party control i just really REALLY dont like him.  

Again back to my OP does something change with him to make him more bearable? 

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Kombat said:
    " Hope I don't like.  At all.  I do hear a lot of folks complaining about Vanille.  I don't find her character at all annoying, but it's a bit awkward once you notice that her voice seems to shift between a generic anime girl style, and a sort of Aussie accent. "
    I think it's the Aussie accent that adds to her cuteness but that's just me. "
    You're right, but she LOSES the accent too much.  Seriously, it's like the VA couldn't decide whether to convert to an American accent or keep her natural one (the VA is Australian)
    Ronin147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Ronin147
    @Macca402:
    I agree I almost feel like Square tried to make her that way to seem unimportant but the more the game progresses I am suspecting she has a larger part in the story, as far as Hope goes im about 10 hours in hes getting better but still kind of eh, but hes a really good mage though
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Burns098356GX

I hate Hope.

Macca402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Macca402
    @Ronin147:
    if the she bit was directed at Vanille then. Absolutely i could see there being some big dark thing that she is running from and the uber positiveness is some sort of her way of denying and hiding from it 
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Jost1

I'm sorry I really don't like Vanille, she's everything that's wrong about japanese RPG characters

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By ZenaxPure

Something to keep in mind about Hope is he is only 14, which I believe is the youngest character in a FF game since like FF9. I think given the situation he is in and given how stupid most 14 year old kids are his character is quite fitting. Though I will say there is some great progression with his character so I have found his personal stuff quite entertaining. 

Macca402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Macca402
    @josty81:
    Thats fine. :) i think everyone should have their opinion and unlike other forums we shouldn't jump on that person and call them wrong or stupid or anything.  Personally thats what made me come out of hiding and post on this forum instead of countless others,  People on here seem to respect individual opinions and points of view.  If you don't like Vanille that fine by me I'm sure there are characters you like that i don't and vise versa.  
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Addfwyn

Most annoying is Hope, and sometimes i am really frustrated with Lightning's inability to listen. 

Vanille is actually an awesome character, and she gets really interesting later.  It's just her english VA holds her back from the Japanese VA, which is really a shame.  All the other characters are amazing though.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yukoei

Hope is obviously gay, Vanille is all up in his face giving him hugs and kisses and shit and he tells her too fuck off? GAY.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By get2sammyb

I hate both Hope and Vanille.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Alphiehyr

I dislike Hope.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By lethalki11ler

Vanille is annoying because of the way she talks. 

Hope is annoying because of how emo he is and how annoying he can get in general with his issues. He's a real momma's boy :P 

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By subject2change

All of them because the voice actors are fucking terrible. Besides maybe the black guy, don't remember his name. I've put 2 hours into the game yesterday and spent a majority of the time laughing at the terrible voice acting and hitting x.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Marz

Sazh is my favorite character but gah damn... i want to cut his Fro off...

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lambert

Vanille's voice is fucking annoying. The game's voice acting is horrible. This is a post-Uncharted 2 gaming world, and these big budget releases still have cheesy dialogue, and horrible voice-acting. It is pathetic.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alphiehyr

Vanille was alright.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Turambar

Vanille would be adorable if her voice wasn't grating.  And hope...well, maybe if he didn't take a dozen hours to tell Snow he got his mom killed, his mopiness would be a bit less frustrating.

Also "you must not lose Hope" has become the most hilarious line in the game for me.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cornman89

Vanille and Snow are getting on my nerves, but it's really because they both embody Japanese archetypes which are very, very steeped in the culture, and thus don't really work in English. Contrast with Hope, who has a really good English VA but his actual character is annoying. He does bring out the dere side of Lightning's personality, but if the best thing you can say about a character is that he makes another character look better, that is not a good sign.

Fang is hot. She's the kind of woman who doesn't shave and is hotter because of that fact. And Sazh is cool so far. He's mah boy. It's pretty weird that he's always telling everybody to slow down and stuff. He's, like, in his thirties, but the rest of the cast treats him like he's on the precipice of death. It's another anime archetype, sure, but I always found Japan's fixation on youth a little morbid, especially in light of the aging population and such.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jiggah

The only thing about Sazh that gets on my nerves is the fact that they play that stupid ass  "blues" style song every time he talks.  Yes, I get it, he's fucking black.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Meowayne
    @josty81 said:
    " I'm sorry I really don't like Vanille, she's everything that's wrong about japanese RPG characters "
    This. The aussie accent could have saved it by adding a believable quirk, but as it is - nah.
    queenulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By queenulhu

I have to say I like Vanille, even though if I would have made her she would have been SO MUCH better.  She is CLEARLY a generic anime-character insert, which I find a little surprising of a move for Sq.... I mean they held off making a char like that in an FF for this long.. why add one now?  Just because Star Ocean 4 had like 50 of them???  Sarah, Welch, Meracle....  I did enjoy  briefly  running around as Vanille in Ch 1... if *I* was in a dungeon I would certainly skip about flailing!!!!  I like her overly-positive attitude about things, it's just like how I am!!  But unlike Vanille, I'm not super naive.  I hope she's hiding something that will actually make her character worth my emotional involvement.  [But that hasn't happened to me since FFT.......]

So far I really want to punch Hope in the face.  I can only pray that he's the secret Shinji Ikari of the story which will mean that I love him by the end of the game.  I won't hold out for Evangelion-epicness in an FF though..... it won't happen. 

I'm going to vote for Snow.  He really comes off as an idiot to me.  I'm on Lightning's side with this!  I'm only a little bit into Lake Bresha but I'm SO TIRED of hearing Snow refer to himself or anyone else as a hero.  The word hero should be removed from FFs.  I love Lightning punching Snow in the face!!!  I'm always wishing someone would do that when he opens his mouth.... & then she does it X3

Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shibbxyz

Vanille's accent is so lol but i dont hate it  
     It just stands out so much
    Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Phaseshift
    @Kombat said:
    HAHA yeah thats a bit crazy, but whats more crazy is the game pimps her out...japan needs to confront its issues.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uniform

I don't find the voice actors to be that bad at all. They're actually pretty good. However, I don't think you can ever take these dubs seriously. My problem is the alien mannerisms I see emoted from these thoroughly Japanese characters. Watching the result of the localization team trying their best to match up an English voice to what ever foreign body language the character is performing, turns out to be quite a comical sight. It's unintentional, and turns out to be awkward far more often than it produces chuckles.

I'll take the generic blue box with the white text and outline, over the voices. Please and thank you. 

Metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Metalisticpain

I like Hope. Vanille is good, her Voice work is a bit finny and corny but nothing too bad. What i expect from a JRPG

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.