Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Will this be a good game for a first time RPGer?

• 55 results
    btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By btman

Question pretty much says it all.  Never really played an RPG.  Watching the Endurance Run really made me want to try one out.  I've known about FF but never played one.  It's really between this game, Demon's Soul, and Dragon Age: Origins.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Yes.  Honest to god, if it's your first RPG...it'll be great.  No so much for fans who have stuck around before overhyped piece of shit 7.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Valames

Pre "ask me anything": No

Post "ask me anything": Yes

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By veektarius

Dumb question to ask before most people have ever played it.  But with that said, I say no.  If you've never played an RPG before, make your first one something you can get at less than full price.  2009 was hardly the year of the first good RPG.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Computerplayer1

Seeing as how all of them have been basically identical, really it doesn't matter where you start lol.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Computerplayer1 said:
    " Seeing as how all of them have been basically identical, really it doesn't matter where you start lol. "
    lol 

Anyway, it does look a lot more noob friendly just from looking at videos and such. Though almost all the games have been pretty easy for noobs the crazy stuff/bosses is generally optional.
    oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By oldjack327

Two words, Chrono Trigger. You can get it on the DS or the SNES (a bit pricey) or the original Playstation (on the Final Fantasy Chronicles collection). Amazon still sells new copies of the original Playstation disc for 15 bucks. Only problem is that it has some typical Playstation era load times.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Gabriel

You should get Demon's Souls, trust me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust
    @btman: Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 are much better choices. 
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @KaosAngel: no need to hate 7 man:)
    mostly from my perspective all FF fans like all FF games but some they don`t have the same strong feeling with others.
    Keep posting my friend:)
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @DAFTPUNK: Really? Seems more like everyone has one they really love and then one or two they really hate. Only game in the entire series I am not fond of is 8 because of the magic system but I don't hate the game. They have done a good job at mixing things up in the series since X so I can't wait to see what 15 offers.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sopranosfan

If you have a PS2 or a backwards compatible PS3 get Final Fantasy 10 first.  But as stated most JRPG are pretty similar but FF have a good story, graphics, sound and gameplay.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Zenaxzd: i`m saying that FF fans won`t truly hate a FF game they will take the game of what it`s worth and uniqueness:)
    thanks for giving your point of view:)
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Jadeskye

seems to be a lot going on on-screen for a jrpg but it's probably very accessable.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

Final Fantasy series has always been accessible and you don't really need to play a previous game because each game in the series is a unique story. 

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By raviolisumo

I second Chrono Trigger on DS.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Wes899 said:
    " I second Chrono Trigger on DS. "
    i third That...
    Avatar image for hypotheticalsolution76
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes, I think it will be a very rewarding experience for you. Right now I can't compare all three, but Demon's Souls requires a ton of patience and may turn you away, and Dragon Age relies on some micromanaging with 'pause' and party combat tactics a lot more. I say go for it.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chuggsy

Well, if you've never played an RPG before, I would suggest Diablo 2. It's really cheap, super accessible, and amazing fun. One of my favorite games of all time.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By gla55jAw

You should wait to see what people think after they play it.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By btman
    @Chuggsy:  

I've played Diablo 2 for years before WoW.  I meant i've never played a RPG turn-based style game.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @oldjack327 said:
    " Two words, Chrono Trigger. You can get it on the DS or the SNES (a bit pricey) or the original Playstation (on the Final Fantasy Chronicles collection). Amazon still sells new copies of the original Playstation disc for 15 bucks. Only problem is that it has some typical Playstation era load times. "
    This.  Or Mario RPG via SNES emulation on PC, PSP or DS.  Both are much better RPGs to start with and just much better all round. 
    valleyshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By valleyshrew

If you want to start with the worst game in the final fantasy series then start with final fantasy xiii.  Here's a quick comparison of the series, each number represents respectively 6,7,8,9,10,12,13:
    Number of locations(of which are towns): 51(15),52(16),39(10),43(23),23(9),42(21),19(2)
    Characters (playable):  46 (14), 67 (9), 74 (6), 55 (8), 47 (7), 41(6), 19 (6) -  that's not including minor characters of which FFIX along had 237 and FFXIII has just a handful.
    Sidequests (minigames):  2? (0), 17(12),  9(2),  9(3), 8(4), 21(1), 2(0)

Not exact figures but tallied them myself from final fantasy wiki. Notice how the last on each list is by far the lowest, cos FFXIII in every way I can think of is the worst in the series since VII, apart from graphically. Even the locations figure is biased towards XIII because the locations in that are so much smaller and duller it's not fair to compare a straight line path train track with midgar. I love the series for the worlds they create, but FFXIII has become like modern warfare 2 design with rpg battles instead of shooting. Not a world but a path.

@KaosAngel:  Yes.  Honest to god, if it's your first RPG...it'll be great.  No so much for fans who have stuck around before overhyped piece of shit 7.

Have you played either game? Sorry but FF7 is inarguably the best game in the series...by far most variety of gameplay, check. Most variety in world, check. Most content, check. Deepest most complex story, check. Every game since has taken away content, now we're left with a game that has no minigames, no towns, no variety of gameplay (battles are the only gameplay), no exploration, no puzzles, only a handful of characters, no social world. It's just so popular to hate on FFVII, and love on FFVI, when in reality FFVI has no minigames, cut and pasted towns, hardly any dialogue or character development, a boring world map with little to explore, etc. You can argue about which characters you like best or which setting was best, but FFVII is objectively the best. I have played every game except 1-4 and 11.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Marz
    @valleyshrew:  Fail, FF6 is the best in the series.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
    @valleyshrew: Wait, are you seriously asking if I played FF13?  O_O  

Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
    Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus
    Final Fantasy VII Advent Children
    Final Fantasy VII Mobile Snowboarding
    Final Fantasy VII Before Crisis
    Final Fantasy VII 

...yes, FF7 is not over hyped and over rehashed.  I played everyone, and own every one...plus all their International Editions.  FF7 is overhyped and most new comers got their RPG cherry popped with FF7, it's fucking old, and gave birth to all these idiotic weeabos.  Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, and Final Fantasy VI are the cream...oh yeah, Super Mario RPG.  >.>
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @Marz said:
    " @valleyshrew:  Fail, FF6 is the best in the series. "
    Agreed. Better Characters. Better Stories.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Scarlet_Rogue said:
    " @Marz said:
    Agreed. Better Characters. Better Stories. "
    Fail, better stories goes to Chrono Cross or Super Mario RPG.  FFVI does have the better cast though.  >.>
    Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ignor
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Scarlet_Rogue said:
    " @Marz said:
    Fail, better stories goes to Chrono Cross or Super Mario RPG.  FFVI does have the better cast though.  >.> "
    Super Mario RPG had a story?
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By subject2change

FF9 is best in series. 

These are all opinions btw, just because 7 made the biggest mark, doesn't mean its the best. FF9 to me is a traditional fantasy game, not a steampunk/scfi game like 7 is. Prob also my favorite because its like the first RPG I beat, finished 7 after 9 because i only rented it or borrowed it.

Honestly, I don't see FFXIII as a good starting point for a JRPG. I'd seriously give Persona 4 a shot. It isn't overly difficult, it's traditional turn based and put a nice footing into the genre. I'd agree with Chrono Trigger as well, but the fact that it's old and things aren't exactly spelled out for you, might make the game frustrating; being you may need to spend hours traveling around looking for where to go. You could also give some of the PSN RPGs a shot, while I said it wasn't the best 7 might be fun to play on your PSP or PS3 through PSN.

There are plenty of good options out there, but I don't see FFXIII as the one you'd want to go with.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Ignor: I'm going to fucking throw something at you...perferable something sharp.
    @Subject2Change: I agree full heartedly about what you said about FF7 and most fanboys need to see FF7 is shit compared to FF6, FF5, FF8, FF12 IZJS, and FF3....your point is also kinda void cause you said FF9 is the best when it clearly is one of the not so better ones. 
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Scarlet_Rogue said:
    " @Marz said:
    Fail, better stories goes to Chrono Cross or Super Mario RPG.  FFVI does have the better cast though.  >.> "
    The comment was best in the FF series. Chrono Cross and Super Mario RPG sadly aren't  Final Fantasy games, they're Squaresoft games.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Scarlet_Rogue said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @Scarlet_Rogue said:
    " @Marz said:
    The comment was best in the FF series. Chrono Cross and Super Mario RPG sadly aren't  Final Fantasy games, they're Squaresoft games. "
    Oh, well...it's still fail cause aside from that fruit Vaan, Bathlier in FF12 made up for the idiots.  >.>
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By penguindust

For your first RPG, I can't understand why you'd want to start with games as difficult as Dragon Age: Origins or Demon's Souls.  Dragon Age: Origins requires a lot of micromanagement and really plays better on the PC.  Demon's Souls demands patience, repetition and can be frustrating at times.  Also, the included guide is vague so you will need to look stuff up on the web to understand how things function.    

For a first RPG on the PS3, I'd recommend either Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or Fallout 3.  They're easier to dip your toe into since the games are just about you the player and they are much more forgiving in combat and death.  These are huge worlds with lots of places to explore, people to talk to, and loot to uncover. 

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @KaosAngel: lol. What?
    Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ignor
    @KaosAngel said:
    I'm not saying Super Mario RPG is a bad game, by all means!
    But Mario games have always been about the gameplay, and the story... not so much.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Scarlet_Rogue: Look, we all know Vaan wasn't the main character in FF12 it was Balthier's story...and a little bit of Ashe's.  Balthier's pimpness and awesoness made the game bearable...he carried that story.  While other FF games have the entire cast flow through the story, in FF12 a SINGLE character did it.  That alone makes Balthier way better than most cast in FF games.

@Ignor: Yeah well, Super Mario RPG had the better story.  >.>  Geno was awesome.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By subject2change
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Ignor: I'm going to fucking throw something at you...perferable something sharp.
    @Subject2Change: I agree full heartedly about what you said about FF7 and most fanboys need to see FF7 is shit compared to FF6, FF5, FF8, FF12 IZJS, and FF3....your point is also kinda void cause you said FF9 is the best when it clearly is one of the not so better ones.  "

Opinions can't be voided unfortunately, so you sir are an idiot. Also 12? Lol. Now who's opinion is void.
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @KaosAngel: oh I see what you're saying. Though I never mentioned FFXII, so it seems we've skipped a few parts of this conversation. Yes, Balthier did carry that game. But his game has to be penalized for all the other party members in it. Them's the breaks.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Subject2Change: Let's be serious about this.

Battle System - FF12 > FF9, IX was way to simplistic and felt like it held your hands.
    Story - Both suck, come on....Necron, what the hell was he about?  Also Vaan.  >.>
    Cast - Alright, we toss it up between Zidane and Balthier...and we all know Balthier wins.  
    Fun Factor - Dude, you could chop up Black and Red Chocobos in FF12.  XD
    Music - The victory theme in FF12 is better cause it has vocals and a choir in the background.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Kyreo

NO.  The most beginner friendly RPG is definitely Fable 2.  You are overloaded with stats and armors... just some levels and weapons.  It's pree straight forward and doesnt overdo (in fact it underdoes) the RPGness like some games do.  Like Fallout 3, Though I love Fallout 3 and other complex RPGs like Dragon Age Origins and the ole Baldurs Gate, these games, however, are not for Beginners. 

I strongly recommend Fable 2 as a beginner RPG, and NOT FF XIII

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @Kyreo: Fable 2 is less of an RPG and more of an action game. Though I like Action-RPGs, I wouldn't recommend one to anyone interested in trying RPGs, cause the difference between the two is going to be a letdown.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By subject2change

FF9 - Nov 14, 2000
    FF12 - Oct 31, 2006

You are comparing Late PS2 development to Mid to End PS1 development.

Steiner, Zidane, Vivi and Garnet win.

Also my view might be flawed as it is nostalgic reasoning as well, why it is my favorite FF game. There is no right or wrong opinion, unless you are the internet or are completely dense.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#44  Edited By EpicSteve

There's a major difference between JRPGs (Japanese Role Playing Games) and Western RPGs (RPGS made in America/Europe)/

JRPGS borrow heavily from anime in terms of character development, style, and writing. A lot of people might suggest FFVII being your first stop, mainly due to its simple battle system and that its story is a perfect example of how those games operate. However, that game is icredably dated. FFXIII is apparently complicated according to the GameInformer review. Also, FFXIII's battle system doesn't represent the classic system seen in other games in the genre. Either way with the times in effect, go ahead and try FFXIII. Just read the reviews. 

Western RPGs are games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fable. These games typically focus on moral choices, and of course don't have the anime style. Someone suggested Diablo 2, that's probably not a great idea considering it's a dungeon crawler and doesn't represent the majority of the genre. 

How do you play videogames and never played an RPG? Also, KaosAngel is a fanboy.You wont get a real answer from him.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Subject2Change: It's Square games.  There is never a right answer.  >.>  This war will go on until the end of time.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By subject2change

O i clearly know that, but that goes for all games in general.

I was just merely pointing out that you can't void an opinion, unless on the internet or a douchebag (aka a friend of mine, who i've come to argue with it just for the hell of it).

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Subject2Change: We can both agree that X-2 never happened right?  >.>
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By subject2change

X-2? What's that?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#49  Edited By EpicSteve
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KaosAngel

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.