Fallout 3... Giant Bomb's Greatest game ever?

CyberianSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CyberianSun

Ive been listening to Bombcast for a while now, and the guys seem to have played the hell out of Fallout 3 over a year later, and so have many others myself included. But I want to know what your favorite moment is from the game and what you think really made that game that special.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I think that game is seriously overrated. Played it for a while and then it was just blah. Pointless exploration is a waste of time to me.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RoujinX

My favorite moment from Fallout 3 was finally being able to purchase Fallout 1 and 2 digitally.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No.  They game has far too many boring moments in it to be the greatest.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

sadly, I did not like Fallout 3. it wasn't for me. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

I love Fallout 3, so screw all y'all!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

Fallout is an awesome game that's been supported with generally great DLC. Considering it's a long RPG, it's no surprised the staff had to wait until a more suitable time to play it. With the majority of them not checking the game out until several months after launch, it's no surprise it's still a somewhat relevant game to talk about. I know it's one of my personal favorites from this generation.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burns098356GX

Like Dragon Age, it didnt do anything 'new'. The mass of content and game hours is what make it worth while. And the setting was pretty cool.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By buzz_killington

I don't know about "greatest", but certainly "most talked about".

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By demonbear

I dont think they think its the greatest. But i think its the most played game by giantbomb staff.

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Kajaah117

No, it's just the game they've all sunk the most time into. Time invested doesn't not always correlate with level of quality. Example: Jeff has played a ridiculous fuck-ton of Borderlands, but he'd never change his review score(4). So while games like Dragon Age, Borderlands, and Fallout 3 wouldn't be considered the "greatest" games by the staff, they're definitely games that they've enjoyed devoting their time to.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Metroid545
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" I think that game is seriously overrated. Played it for a while and then it was just blah. Pointless exploration is a waste of time to me. "
bam, this. There was like 10 side quests, lame
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bubahula

i love fallout 3. it might be the most talked about game. but not the greatest.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

After all the time I've spent playing the game, I think it's absolutely one of the best games I've ever played. It still blows my mind, and I love it and just can't ever seem to get enough. It's gameplay certainly isn't the greatest, but I think it gets the job done decently enough. What makes it so amazing, though, is the world they created in the game. Man, I love the Capital Wasteland.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By JudgeDread

Best game ever

Final Fantasy games and alikes are like Popeye comics standing next to the Lord of the Rings trilogy

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaptainObvious
@AjayRaz said:
" sadly, I did not like Fallout 3. it wasn't for me.  "
Hell yeah!
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoelTGM

I loved Morrowind, enjoyed Oblivion, but no way am I going to spend my time in that ugly brown wasteland of Fallout 3.  I own it, got it for cheap off a Steal sale, and it just doesn't interest me at all.  I've seen a hell of a lot of it though, watching my friend play through it.  That game is so loaded full of random side quests.

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Blueman

Fallout 3 is brilliant. My favourite part was probably blowing up Megaton. Annoying bastards deserved it.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really want to like it, but the combat is terrible and I can't force myself to play past a certain point. Same thing happened to me in Bioshock, really. The story in my opinion just wasn't good enough to motivate me to play on.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#20  Edited By vager

I adore RPGs but didn't like Fallout 3 for whatever reason.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

You might be right.  The best part is that none of them even had it in their Top 10 list for 2008 iirc.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Shadow

Ironic that Jeff is the one that reviewed it since he's the only one that doesn't like it.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

No way man.  It's Persona 4, obviously.  None of the crew are strongly against P4, Jeff hates Fallout 3.

Realistically none of the GB crew would select either of those games as their favorite of all time.

SUPERGHOST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SUPERGHOST
@CyberianSun:
I enjoy listening to others expolits in Fallout 3, especially on the Bombcast.  I would say it is the best (or at least the most enjoyable) RPG I have ever played.  So many unique things to see and do, every part of the landscape is carefully detailed and tells a thousand stories itself.  157 hours of gameplay, could easily play 50 more!
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By rjayb89

It's a good time sink as I've spent over 200 hours in the wasteland with my two characters.  I know it isn't the greatest game out there, but for what it is it's pretty fun.  Seeing how you can come across things other players haven't before, it's definitely something worth talking about.

Icy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Icy
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" I think that game is seriously overrated. Played it for a while and then it was just blah. Pointless exploration is a waste of time to me. "
I agree. The game is pretty good, but indeed overrated.
Avatar image for sleepyheadstyle
sleepyheadstyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sleepyheadstyle

I fell in love with that game as soon I popped the disc in. I bought into it hook line and sinker. My only gripe is that I've had it crashed way too often. 

Favorite moments, walking out the vault the first time was a surreal moment. I get the everything is brown comment but it's because everything has been nuked to high hell not because it's a limited palette like quake was. Other highlights was clearing out Capitol building and going into the subways. I thought the story was great till about 75% way through. The ending was  letdown but the world is such a sprawling wasteland it's pretty much forgiven.  i've tried to play Oblivion many times and I could never get into it, it never grabbed me like Fallout 3. On the other hand I also loved Bioshock and pretty much forgave all it's shortcomings due to the fact the story and level design was really awesome. 

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Fallout 3 was boring and the combat was terrible.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By thatfrood

I have a lot of complaints with Fallout 3. For one, it is grey.
Like, Goddamn is it grey. I mean, it is really, seriously fucking grey. I don't know of a single game that even encroaches on the sheer greyness of Fallout 3.
I also feel like, yes, it is a bit boring at times and the combat? Less than stellar.

But wow. There is a lot to do, and a surprisingly large number of ways you can do them.
I remember the first time I went to Paradise Falls because of a side quest off of the main mission, I had to go capture some slaves in order to get inside. Instead? I just fucking shot everyone. I shot every last one of those fuckers. And it worked. It was totally cool.

There's a lot in that game, it's janky at times but you can tell the Bethesda people put some serious time into the game, and I appreciate that. At times, it even manages to be a bit striking.

So yeah, Fallout 3 is not my favorite game ever, and I would probably say I enjoy Dragon Age more, but damn, I like Fallout 3. It's an ugly, janky game... but it's still loads of fun.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By belaraphon

i had installed a mod for it for the pc version (i own it on both the pc and 360) and i think it was called mort's mutant mod? MMM is the abbreviation on fallout3nexus.com.   

anyways i was exploring the train tunnels beneath DC when i came across a giant pack of feral ghouls.  normally i could dispatch them without too much problem but the pack was so big and had such varying degrees of toughness that i burnt through all of my ammunition (9mm, shotgun, 5.56 rifles, polasma cells, 7.62 chinese rounds, .44 magnum rounds). i was trapped deep in the tunnels and had to melee my way out. by the time i got out i had 2 crippled limbs, 10 health, and no stims. with the door insight i exited and felt safety was on the other side.

i was greeted outside by a super mutant with a rocket launcher.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scarace360

The best part about fallout 3 was the part where i stopped playing it and started playing diablo 2 again.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nekroskop
With all the expansions the game is fantastic. I really enjoyed it, but it suffered from some of the issues that were aparent in Oblivion. Still a great game though. 
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pirate_republic

I loved Fallout 3. Jeff and friends call it "mad janky", but I had very little trouble with it, on the technical front.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FierceDeity

I played through the entire vanilla Fallout 3 (no DLC), and overall I enjoyed the game. I did have a couple issues with it though - the shooting, while I didn't find terrible, was a bit off... and while I understand it was the art direction, I started to despise how brown and gray and dirty everything was. While it may not have been a problem for a shorter game, having to stare at those bleak environments for 40+hrs got pretty depressing.

I love the continuous bombcast mentions though. I'm glad they all got the chance to play the game.

P.S. Can't wait for Elder Scrolls 5! :D

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By K0rN
@AjayRaz said:
"sadly, I did not like Fallout 3. it wasn't for me.  "

Did you play the PS3 version? Because that version is a huge no-no.
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Turtlemayor333

I probably would have grown tired of the wastes as well if not for the brilliant 1950s twist on the whole thing. It has to be one of my favorite open world environments in video games despite not jumping out at you with rainbows. My main disappointment as far as exploration goes is Downtown D.C. Maybe a couple of console generations from now they won't have to break everything off with convenient walls of rubble in the streets, forcing you into the bland subway tunnels.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#37  Edited By megalowho

I'll bite. The realization of Fallout 3's world makes the game special - it's huge, kind of janky but also incredibly dense with lots of narrative gems lurking around every corner. It's a game that can really sneak up on you over time, you experience so many cool moments big and small that the entire package ends up leaving a lasting impression. 

I guess one moment in particular that stood out for me was The Republic of Dave. I remember it showing up on my map and being intrigued just by the sound of that place - did some guy name Dave decide to start his own country up there? And yup, that was pretty much it.  Suddenly you're in the middle of some really interesting content and conversation in this throwaway, far off location. And the resulting quest pretty much became what do you feel like doing about all this? Do you leave them alone, let it run it's course? Do you fuck with these people? Help Dave out? Rig the election? Incite a revolt? Rob them? Kill them? Man.. love me some Fallout 3.