First Bombcast Ad

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By viking_funeral

Does the addition of ads mean that they'll be able to hire staff to fix the website?

/sorry to kill the positive parade

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By tourgen

Alright, as long as it's not as uncomfortable and weird as The Skeptics Guide crew having a fake conversation about how much the just love Hulu Plus. Everyone got to get paid.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

"WHY IS MY MICROPHONE OFF!"

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have yet to listen, but I doubt it's going to bother me. And as everyone else pointed out, if it means the Bombcast can keep trucking on then fuck yeah.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

As long as Jeff reads them, I'm cool with it.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Whatevs.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

No problem with it. Squarespace, Audible, etc support some of my favorite podcasts.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By audiosnow

I haven't heard it yet, but if Jeff reads them with WiiWare store music I'm all for 'em.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@ddensel: Yeah, I was pretty surprised that it wasn't Audible or Hulu Plus. Squarespace is up there too, I guess.

Though man, if Jeff gets in touch with Justin McElroy and they work out an Extreme Restraints cross-promotion, it might be the greatest thing ever.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were fine. The one during the break was a little long, but whatever. It's not like these can't be skipped.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By iceman228433

Good for them about time they start making some money, if Stone Cold can do it why can't they.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perfectly fine with ads if it helps the GB crew fund more dumb stuff, even as a subscriber I will still download and listen to the ad-version as long as I don't have to listen to that shit ass Pepsi Next ad that I hear on a lot of podcasts "Pop goes the Pepsi Next can.." makes me want to stab my eardrums with a sharp pencil.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I wonder how much it cost?

I've never heard of Square Space. I figured their first ad would be something like Pepsi or I dunno something more general appeal. Definitely not Square Space whatever that is.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By notdavid

As long as they continue to provide subscribers an ad-free version every week, I have no problem with this. People who devote three hours every Tuesday to creating content as fantastic as the Bombcast deserve to be compensated for it, whether in the form of ad revenue, subscribers, or some undiscovered third option.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

OMG THE WII SHOP MUSIC PLAYED DURING THE AD. Love it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Literally every podcast I have ever listened to that's not the Bombcast has had ads and the premium feed is there for people who don't want to hear it.

Anyone who has an issue with this (if they exist) are idiots, plain and simple.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHAT!? PREPOSTEROUS! SCANDALOUS! UNACCEPTABLE!

Yeah, whatever, but please don't put them all in the middle of the ad. Load them at the front or put them at the back, where I can conveniently skip them, but please not in the middle.

Indeed. This I don't mind, but when the flow of an interesting conversation is interrupted because the host goes "hold on, I need to read this thing. THIS PODCAST IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY AUDIBLE DOT COM THE INTERNETS LEADING RESOURCE IN AUDIOBOO-", it really sucks the life out of podcasts and I hope that doesn't happen.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the addition of ads mean that they'll be able to hire staff to fix the website?

/sorry to kill the positive parade

Unfortunately the site is busted in a handful of different ways right now. They acknowledged this on Unprofessional Fridays last week, when Alexis said something like "We're making good progress on the Gamespot redesign, once that's out we can focus on Giantbomb again and fix EVERYHING."

...so yeah, get used to the issues for awhile, I guess.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By Justin258

@believer258 said:

Yeah, whatever, but please don't put them all in the middle of the ad. Load them at the front or put them at the back, where I can conveniently skip them, but please not in the middle.

Indeed. This I don't mind, but when the flow of an interesting conversation is interrupted because the host goes "hold on, I need to read this thing. THIS PODCAST IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY AUDIBLE DOT COM THE INTERNETS LEADING RESOURCE IN AUDIOBOO-", it really sucks the life out of podcasts and I hope that doesn't happen.

You're premium, so what are you worried about?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By Dalai

The ads are fine, but I would prefer ads that don't fit the Giant Bomb demographic. Like ads for prostate supplements or feminine hygiene products or Final Fantasy XIV.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus said:

@believer258 said:

You're premium, so what are you worried about?

Didn't realize there was a second feed- I just downloaded the podcast from my phone for the drive home. Awkward cuts in the middle of the podcast would be weird, then. It's not a big deal either way.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@dalai said:

The ads are fine, but I would prefer ads that don't fit the Giant Bomb demographic. Like ads for prostate supplements or feminine hygiene products or Final Fantasy XIV.

Why not all three? "Do you want to maintain prostate health, but still walk out the door feeling like a vibrant young woman? Try Final Fantasy XIV. We guarantee your feminine realm will feel reborn."

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalai said:

Why not all three? "Do you want to maintain prostate health, but still walk out the door feeling like a vibrant young woman? Try Final Fantasy XIV. We guarantee your feminine realm will feel reborn."

I'd love to, but they've locked out new subscriptions so even though the character creation music gives me an overwhelming feeling of Final Fantasy nostalgia and a desire to play, alas, I cannot.

Too bad Square! I'm over it already.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a slippery slope... If it stays the way it was this week, that's totally cool. Glad they can make some cash for this at the cost of just 30 seconds on my part. I have faith that they will maintain the integrity of the podcast and won't sell out.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

A Bombcast ad is totally fine by me. It did take me a while to realize it wasn't a joke, though. :P

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the guys themselves "perform" the ads then I won't bother with the premium version of the bombcast at all.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Makin' dat scrilla.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#78  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Now that we're in the world of advertisement, Giant Bomb needs to get some of that hot, lubricated Extreme Restraints money. If the Brothers McElroy can dedicate 10 minutes of their 45-60 minute podcast on jokes about Butt Plugs, it only makes sense that the Giant Bombcast could triple that and dedicate half an hour of the podcast to such important topics.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#79  Edited By crusader8463

As long as they don't plaster them throughout the podcast like every 20-30 min and make them like 1 min 30 sec long then I guess it's ok? It's still really annoying and jarring to hear. Also, no matter how funny of a skit they make up for the ad they get super old fast. The Comedy Button does/did them for example and after 2-3 times of hearing it played I was sick of it.

It's also going to be a huge pain in the ass to try and get the podcast app on my phone to download the proper one.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that we're in the world of advertisement, Giant Bomb needs to get some of that hot, lubricated Extreme Restraints money. If the Brothers McElroy can dedicate 10 minutes of their 45-60 minute podcast on jokes about Butt Plugs, it only makes sense that the Giant Bombcast could triple that and dedicate half an hour of the podcast to such important topics.

If there is a god, this will happen.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

@geirr said:

If the guys themselves "perform" the ads then I won't bother with the premium version of the bombcast at all.

Pretty much this. With all the weird tangents they already go off on, they might as well have one they get paid for.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Toxin066

I think I enjoyed the commercials a bit too much. And that music brought back fond memories.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

If every ad break in the bombcast is done over the DS Store music, i'm good with it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If every ad break in the bombcast is done over the DS Store music, i'm good with it.

Oh god. Yes.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#85  Edited By fattony12000

I haven't listened to it yet! Gonna listen to it today! Sounds like you did it good Jeff! Which is good!

Jood Job Jeff!

!

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess most people get their podcast through the iPhone/iPod and that doesn't work with the premium (I guess because they are password protecting it). We would have to open itunes, subscribe there and then sync that podcast down to the iPhone. That's really inconvenient, but I hate ad interruptions so it's just a question of what is worse.

Anyone got a solution for this?

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@regal said:

I guess most people get their podcast through the iPhone/iPod and that doesn't work with the premium (I guess because they are password protecting it). We would have to open itunes, subscribe there and then sync that podcast down to the iPhone. That's really inconvenient, but I hate ad interruptions so it's just a question of what is worse.

Anyone got a solution for this?

I've been using an app called RSSReader RSSRadio that allows me to sync all the podcasts (including premium) directly into my iPad.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#88  Edited By MEATBALL

I haven't listened yet, how do they go about the ads in terms of placement? One at the top of the show and one at the beginning? Ads at regular intervals?

I don't really like the idea of the latter if that's how it's being done, I'd much rather just have one segment dedicated to ads like MBMBaM. Mind you I'm talking about a scenario that I don't even know exists, but yeah, just putting down what I prefer.

It's actually funny, the way MBMBaM have done it over the years they've probably been the ads I've paid the most attention to anywhere.

Edit: You know, this is really stupid, and I feel like an arsehole for even expressing these thoughts, but just to get them out there - there's a part of me (an unreasonable part) that's pretty disappointed that this is a thing that's happening.

It feels like another step in a kind of downward direction Giant Bomb have been moving in since CBS purchased them. It seems Jeff spends a lot of time tied up in meetings, Dave is gone, the website feels like it has less features than it had two years ago, ads on the bombcast...

It obviously hasn't all been negative, I'm obviously paying way too much attention to the things that seem worse off than the things that have improved, but yeah.

Hope I'm not coming off like an arsehole.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By angouri

The ads were amazing. If I wanted a website... I might have been swayed!

Yay for GB money!

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The ads were two of my favourite parts of this week's podcast.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just makes me nervous about what else cbsi is gonna do next...

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: one 30 second ad at the very start and a small break towards the middle of the bombcast

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: one 30 second ad at the very start and a small break towards the middle of the bombcast

Cool, that sounds totally fine!

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: also just for your knowledge there is an ad free version of the bombcast in the premium feed

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they just end up doing a straight up "knife show" style ad.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: also just for your knowledge there is an ad free version of the bombcast in the premium feed

Yeah, which is great. It's not even necessarily that I have a problem with ads so much, but there's a side of me that looks at it as a negative change.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

So excited for the crew to finally have ad support on the bombcast - and Jeff's radio voice is hilarious.

I just hope they don't stray too far from shit that's relevant to their target audience (us). Also, Squarespace actually does seem like a pretty cool service.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By zaccheus

The ad seemed fine. It was short. My biggest problem is when some podcast have "conversational" ads that last like 2-3 minutes. I always just fast forward through those which is inconvenient for me and bad for the advertiser. I'm really happy how it was on todays podcast.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#99  Edited By Forcen

As long as they are promoting things that they don't mind promoting then sure, keep it up.

I don't want to hear any endorcements from something they obviously hate/dislike. Like Jeff promoting a new Nights game or something.

preaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've been subbing for awhile now so i don't really care. hope this enables them to create more content; somehow, someway