The Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts complain thread.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#551  Edited By evanbower

@joshthebear said:

Just finished the final day, and I'm sorry but ZombiU does not belong anywhere near the top 10.

Oh so you played it then. How did you find it?

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#552  Edited By evanbower

@aceofspudz said:

The fact that the Walking Dead, a visual novel that features a manipulative, pulpy story with zombies in it, is receiving any amount of acclaim in the press continues to baffle me.

This is the year I've become disillusioned with the gaming press: defending Mass Effect 3, Doritogate, 1reasonwhy, and now TWD is critically acclaimed? I don't think their opinions are to be trusted anymore; they swallowed the blue pill.

1reasonwhy? So wait... we AREN'T supposed to respect women?

Avatar image for videogamesarenotart
videogamesarenotart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@bvilleneuve:

At no point did any of the things you mentioned matter when I played the game start to finish less than 2 days ago. You admitted to not even touching the game in " a couple months", I think it is time for you to go back and "objectively" look at it. While you are at it boot up Super Meat Boy or Mark of the Ninja for comparison, so you know what a well made indie game looks like. At no point have you made an argument for the game's credibility. I listed a ton of flaws with the game which by themselves would disqualify it for being GOTY.

Here I will list some more

• Moving too close to enemies makes your weapon clip through them and not work on them at all.
  • The story of the game was not good. There entire game banks on the setup for the game's premise, then it goes nowhere with it.
  • All Doors are completely bulletproof and unresponsive at times. There's a specific door I remember in the game where the creator placed it improperly and would not open all the way. It wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the 2 gun wielding enemies on the other side that killed you instantly, as your character was stuck halfway through the door.
  • Guns are poorly balanced and less effective than melee weapons for the player. Its evident that guns were tacked on. At no point should I feel less confident in a pistol or assault rifle than a bat. At no point should a bat wielding enemies kill me in one swipe, while I have to shoot upwards of 3 times to get a hit on enemies who are doing nothing but walking single file in a line straight towards me
  • In the hands of the enemy, guns are one shot kills when you walked into the enemy's peripheral view 2 screens away. Also it is very inconsistent. There were times I would find enemies instant killing me over a screen away ( for example the "clean hit" mission, the long hallway on the upper floor) and other times I would be 5 feet away and the enemy would be completely unresponsive even though i just fired an assault rifle several times

I can keep going man. Its not game of the year, its not even a "good game" It had an interesting premise and style that was executed upon very poorly. I see why you are praising the game due to its unique atmosphere, but when you try to say the gameplay was a well tuned, well refined deliberate act that's just simply untrue. It is clearly slapped together and inconsistent. Its your opinion to praise a game,but its a straight lie when you try to say things like "that's just the design of the AI". This year a lot of people seem to be hyping and praising games based off its merits alone and not on its actual gameplay. If that's your choice, go right ahead, but don't go around saying nonsensical things like "Hotline Miami is probably the best action game any of us will ever play."

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#554  Edited By ShaggE

@aceofspudz said:

The fact that the Walking Dead, a visual novel that features a manipulative, pulpy story with zombies in it, is receiving any amount of acclaim in the press continues to baffle me.

This is the year I've become disillusioned with the gaming press: defending Mass Effect 3, Doritogate, 1reasonwhy, and now TWD is critically acclaimed? I don't think their opinions are to be trusted anymore; they swallowed the blue pill.

Yeah, what were they thinking liking a game that you don't? Haven't they learned yet that you're the very model of taste, and everyone else should look to you before doing something silly like enjoying things? Shit... next thing you know (and I shudder to say this), they'll start thinking that games should be some kind of entertainment medium! Before long, there might even be games that aren't built to your specifications at all!

Can you imagine? An industry that caters to multiple people? I for one will have none of it! The second I started enjoying The Walking Dead, I cast it aside like the trash that it is! There will be no fun in THIS house! Not at the risk of forming my own opinion... nosiree!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#555  Edited By Fallen189
@ShaggE said:

@aceofspudz said:

Yeah, what were they thinking liking a game that you don't? Haven't they learned yet that you're the very model of taste, and everyone else should look to you before doing something silly like enjoying things? Shit... next thing you know (and I shudder to say this), they'll start thinking that games should be some kind of entertainment medium! Before long, there might even be games that aren't built to your specifications at all!

Can you imagine? An industry that caters to multiple people? I for one will have none of it! The second I started enjoying The Walking Dead, I cast it aside like the trash that it is! There will be no fun in THIS house! Not at the risk of forming my own opinion... nosiree!

We get it, you can be a sarcastic cunt. But try to put aside your terrible humor and actually read what he's saying, instead of using your awful "rant" as an excuse not to discuss what he's actually talking about.
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#556  Edited By MudMan

The 2012 2011 GOTY is The Binding of Isaac. This is demonstrably true.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557  Edited By ShaggE

@Fallen189 said:

@ShaggE said:

@aceofspudz said:

We get it, you can be a sarcastic cunt. But try to put aside your terrible humor and actually read what he's saying, instead of using your awful "rant" as an excuse not to discuss what he's actually talking about.

Temper, temper.

Sorry, but any point he may have had went out the window when he compared praise of TWD and Mass Effect 3 to willful ignorance. My terrible humor, awful ranting, cuntish sarcasm, and all-around horrible existence seem preferable to accusing an entire group of people of being untrustworthy because some of them liked a couple of games, and a tiny percentage of them were involved in a shady marketing deal.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#558  Edited By MudMan

@ShaggE: For what it's worth, I absolutely agree with you. When a roomful of guys with decades of experience unanimously tells you that you are freaking out over nothing, you should probably start checking out the side effects of your red pill.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559  Edited By ShaggE

@NoelVeiga: Cheers. I'll never understand why subjectivity is such a hard concept to grasp. I couldn't stand Skyrim after the initial "exploration stage" wore off, but I didn't accuse the whole industry of being dishonest because they showered it with praise. I said "Glad they enjoyed it" and moved on. That's the joy of the arts: if something doesn't tickle your fancy, just wait a week, and there will be countless new things to try.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#560  Edited By MudMan

@ShaggE: And I was this close of abandoning Far Cry 3 the moment I realized I needed to ulock being able to carry guns with me, which in turn required unlocking the ability to carry money because my guy is going native but he still refuses to carry spare change outside of his wallet. Getting past that didn't endear me to that game, either.

Yes, this was, if anything, the year that the online community lost the press as a supporter, and that's a good thing. The amout of whining and anger directed towards Capcom was almost entirely unwarranted (with the exception of anything RE6 related, I'd say), and a bunch of "scandals" related to the press were sadder because of the backlash than because of the inciting incident, not to mention the continuing outrage of the community any time members of the industry or the press tried to do something about depth, artistry or to fight discrimination.

Say what you will, but my biggest disappointment this year has been the gaming community. The traditional hardcore gaming community in particular, which has been all about berating each other (brogamers, girl gamers, fake gamer girls, casual gamers, facebook gamers and so on) and the people providing them with cool things to play. I'm all for voting with your wallet, but making the purchase and complaining about it after the fact for months is really not that, and neither is harassing anybody else for what you perceive as being bad taste.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561  Edited By splodge

@NoelVeiga said:

@ShaggE: And I was this close of abandoning Far Cry 3 the moment I realized I needed to ulock being able to carry guns with me, which in turn required unlocking the ability to carry money because my guy is going native but he still refuses to carry spare change outside of his wallet. Getting past that didn't endear me to that game, either.

Yes, this was, if anything, the year that the online community lost the press as a supporter, and that's a good thing. The amout of whining and anger directed towards Capcom was almost entirely unwarranted (with the exception of anything RE6 related, I'd say), and a bunch of "scandals" related to the press were sadder because of the backlash than because of the inciting incident, not to mention the continuing outrage of the community any time members of the industry or the press tried to do something about depth, artistry or to fight discrimination.

Say what you will, but my biggest disappointment this year has been the gaming community. The traditional hardcore gaming community in particular, which has been all about berating each other (brogamers, girl gamers, fake gamer girls, casual gamers, facebook gamers and so on) and the people providing them with cool things to play. I'm all for voting with your wallet, but making the purchase and complaining about it after the fact for months is really not that, and neither is harassing anybody else for what you perceive as being bad taste.

Yup, it has gotten kind of disgusting. The amount of hate that arises because of video games is astounding. I get it, money has changed hands, but that happens with almost everything else in life as well. "Welcome to the Internet" I guess.... but at some point that's going have to stop being an excuse for people being shitty.

ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#562  Edited By ValeYard

@HerbieBug: Totally agree. For example, Alex and Ryan wanted to defend FTL, which IMO should be on every top ten of 2012, especially since it is on so many of the other 2012 lists up on GB. However, in the face of Patrick's ZombiU defense and Patrick cleverly forming an alliance with Jeff, they let FTL go, although Alex sounded really disappointed.

Generally, I think that a discussion alone probably isn't the best method to decide anything - there's a lot of fascinating research on decision making processes in organizations for example, just google 'Garbage Can Model'. Verbal discussions work on their own terms and produce compromises, alliances, and often suboptimal results. I mean, how else can you explain the crazy GotYs from Gamespot, MGS4, Demons' Souls; I love both those games, but GotY? The discussions that lead to those decisions were probably fascinating, I wish I could get a transcript!

I think it would be great if the already very innovative Bomb guys mixed it up more, for instance played the GotY candidates on camera, talked it over, reviewed the best moments of gameplay by playing them, etc, as they already do in their video content, but as part of the decision making process.

Ryan kinda blasted these sort of discussions on twitter the other day ("if you're really, actually upset about what games did or did not make a website's GOTY list, I feel bad for you."), I mean sure, being upset or irate about the result of the GotY discussion is irrational, however, I feel an emotional investment on what the duders do is the reason why we listen to them at all. And honestly, I found the last podcast exactly for the reasons mentioned by not much fun to listen to. I'd prefer there to be some mechanisms in place, so that games that have recently been played by a minority of the people at the table can't steamroll others out of the discussion.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#563  Edited By bvilleneuve

I don't want any kind of scientific process corrupting my GotY decisions. Scientific reasoning can be done after the fact by people on the forums. When it's time to hear a Game of the Year discussion, that's exactly what I want: a completely subjective discussion.

ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564  Edited By ValeYard

@bvilleneuve: I know what you're saying, and I certainly don't want to propagate a clinical voting system like in your link, but I also don't like listening to the duders getting tired and then making weird decisions. I just think GB could be more creative than everyone else and not just 'simply' discuss the GotY. I mean, I get to hear people disagree in discussions everyday at work and don't really enjoy it in podcast form. However, I am of course aware that I don't have to listen to the GotY podcasts.

I can't really rationalize it, but I just felt mildly annoyed this year after having listened to the last GotY podcast, and this is so not my usual reaction to the Bombcast. Maybe it has to do with my belief that FTL and Hotline Miami are really great games of 2012, maybe also I just felt that the discussion lead to a list of games that is less fulfilling for the individual Bombcasters than their own list, but also not as representative as a list like the one the GB community created by counting votes together, kinda the worst of both worlds really. I mean, just watch The Besties video GotY podcast, they explicitly come to the realization that no one's favorite game won. On all websites, not just Giantbomb, these discussions seem a bit like a pointless exercise.

That said, I'm not sure GotY is as unimportant as everyone makes out. Isn't it a boost for a game company, especially a small one, to get GotY titles? If so, then I am of the opinion that a bit more care should be taken with the most important part of the discussion, e.g. as often suggested here, put the GotY decision at the beginning, when everyone is still fresh.

Anyway, in the end, it always comes down to: De gustibus non est disputandum.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565  Edited By Rafaelfc

@Splodge said:

The amount of hate that arises because of video games is astounding.

It's all Jonathan Davis' fault!!! he started this whole "gaming is my religion" thing

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566  Edited By SharkEthic

@Phatmac said:

Simply*

You do know you can just edit your posts, right?

Anyway, Fex knocking Journey out in "Best downloadable..." was fucking criminal.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567  Edited By Bell_End

i didn't like the way they liked games in a slightly different order to what i did.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#568  Edited By Phatmac

@SharkEthic said:

@Phatmac said:

Simply*

You do know you can just edit your posts, right?

Anyway, Fex knocking Journey out in "Best downloadable..." was fucking criminal.

I probably posted that on the mobile site which you can't edit posts in.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#569  Edited By MudMan

@gladspooky said:

@NoelVeiga said:

It's kinda hard to vote with your wallet when the gaming press unanimously states "this game is the greatest thing ever, it totally does justice to whatever idea you have in your head. Glitches? What glitches? Replayability? Who'd want to play through a game more than once? It's not like these things cost money."

I barely know where to start with that. How about all the pre-release rage? Hitman Absolution was totally going to be a shooter, as is the next Splinter Cell. If the online complaining is about technical issues, then why the death threats, bows to never purchase anything by that particular company ever again and general ranting? Where are the well meaning warnings to "maybe wait for the patch" or "perhaps skip this one"? Well, despite your protests they are in the reviews and the press, most of the time.

Do not mask online whining and hatemail with purchasing advice. If you accidentally bought a game that doesn't work I'm all for downvoting it on Amazon or anywhere else where the option is given, or with posting in a forum with a warning to other prospective customers. That is not at all what happens in the vast majority of these situations, though, and you almost certainly know that.

Oh, and preemptively know that I'm not personalizing here. For all I know you do all the things I'm requesting. In that case, feel more than free to not feel my original post referred to you, or the subsequent conversation. It is a thing, though. A widespread thing, and it's boring, dumb and kind of depressing. I once had a conversation with a guy that unironically defended that Capcom had cancelled Megaman Legends because they secretly hated their fans, despite the game being likely to make them a lot of money. That's the kind of thing you expect to come associated to cone-shaped tin foil headwear, and certainly not the sort of thing you want to be associated with.