Who else has stopped listening?

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I fell in love with the Bombcast and subscribed and listened to every episode starting back in its inception in 2007, but as of two months ago, the show's become so insufferable that I had to stop listening completely. It seems really obvious to me that the guys just don't enjoy games any more, which makes for a depressing and unenjoyable listen. Even the little things that annoyed me a bit, like Jeff's constant "Ugh"s and mouth fart noises, seem to pop up more and more.

When I posted stuff about this before, the main response I got was that they were just bored with the current generation of games, and that the new generation of consoles would be what they need. Guess what? If the comments for each podcast (Which I still read) are any indication, they're already taking a big shit on consoles that aren't out yet. I can deal with guys who are jaded to a point, but by now, I'm convinced these guys should maybe consider getting jobs outside of games if they can't find anything to enjoy about them any more.

Maybe you had an overload from listening to 300something podcasts in quick succession...................................

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By Ravenlight

Bombcast is not long enough. In the future the Bombcast will just be The Truman Show for the Bomb Crew.

redelectric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By redelectric
skelington_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You might be a bit jaded. Just take a break from the Bombcasts, or regularly visiting the website, for a while. We can all get a bit disillusioned with the things we enjoy most from time to time.

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#155  Edited By madpierrot

I still love it and always listen every week, but I'm also not going to be the person who is a dick to someone that feels the podcast has been slipping. I can understand some of the complaints against it that have been popping up. Personally what has turned into nearly 45 minutes of pointless banter to start the show grates on me a bit. I don't mind 10-15 minutes of chit chat, but they just drag it on and on sometimes and than Ryan at the end will say "ok no time for emails". So that I don't like, but still just listening to them talk about games is great and when the chit chat doesn't overstay it's welcome they can be freaking hilarious.

Sless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can understand the viewpoint. Sometimes I find that the guys unnecessarily dump on things. The great part about GB, and it's still there, is that there is usually someone who likes something so it's not a huge hate-fest. But the bombcast has always been about so much more than just games for me, so I don't find myself getting tired of it.

Unless they're talking about MGS. In which case I just shake my head for a while.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I stop listening when Brad goes on about bloody DOTA. Two Bombcasts in a row now.

I drink beer every time Ryan says "rogue-like". I don't even know what it is! Haha!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#158  Edited By Deranged

I don't they've become less enthusiastic about games, more so at the lack of innovation of games this late in this current generation. It's basically the final big stretch for these consoles before the focus switches onto the Next generation so most developers seem to care very much with most of their focus probably on the jump to the next big thing.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By huser

Maybe overreacting/projecting a tiny bit are we? I honestly aven't noticed any bad trends from the bombcast lately and I personally think it's as good as ever.

If anything going over old Bombcasts, old set in stone notions they had are getting blown up. Things like "of course XCOM is going to be a shooter, come on guys what did you think it was going to be" and a GTA set in an Asian city would be boring got worked over and they welcomed it.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By huser

You want jaded and ultra-critical? Try the Besties. I love those guys but CHRIST, do they shit on games constantly. Even games they supposedly love like Bioshock Infinite.

EDIT: Man, that was my 5000th post? I wish it was something more cheerful.

I stopped listening once they basically dropped a game because it was boring for it to keep winning. Thought that should have been an obvious and predictable pitfall to the conceit they were going for such as 2010, ie Mass Effect 2 (not that other games couldn't challenge it, but those mostly came out about 8-10 months later). Why do it at all then, and why listen?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#161  Edited By leebmx

@jadegl said:

I don't know what I would do without the Bombcast, no joke. It makes all the dreary crap I have to do (grocery shopping, dishes, folding laundry) go by so quickly. I especially love going out to shop and breaking out with a snort laugh in the middle of the dairy section. I imagine that everyone else thinks I'm either crazy or just too cool to care about how I look while I try to decide whether buying chocolate milk is an appropriate adult course of action or not.

Sorry I was just reading this thread and I saw your comment and I do this thing all the time. I have just started a new job and I am walking home everyday, cos its a really nice walk, and it might get me a bit fit and on Wednesday I always do it listening to the Bombcast. I swear someone is going to knock me spark out one of these days because I walk right through the city and back home and I keep catching people's eyes while grinning or outright laughing.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By MiniPato

I don't mind non-game related talk on the bombcast, but holy hell does TV talk put me the hell to sleep. Not TV shows, but them discussing what kind of TVs they have, had, will have and talking for 30 minutes about what cables it comes with and the little nuances between each of the TVs they own. Pretty boring stuff. I prefer poop talk when it comes to non-gaming related discussion.

But I have been struggling with keeping up with the bombcast and even paying attention to their discussion when I am listening. Most of it has to do with me not being interested in any game coming out in 2013 thus far though.

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I haven't listen to the Bombcast in a while but not because the quality has dropped, but due to the shear amount of it that I need to listen to. (About 25 episodes)

But has it dropped in quality, I highly doubt that it has or there would be crazy amounts of people angry if it did.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Legion_

Hell no. Giant Bomb is in a better place than ever. Listening to the Bombcast while falling asleep is my favorite thing in the world. The second Ryan says "Hey everybody it's tuesdaaaay" all my worries are gone.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#165  Edited By Humanity

@sless said:

I can understand the viewpoint. Sometimes I find that the guys unnecessarily dump on things. The great part about GB, and it's still there, is that there is usually someone who likes something so it's not a huge hate-fest. But the bombcast has always been about so much more than just games for me, so I don't find myself getting tired of it.

Unless they're talking about MGS. In which case I just shake my head for a while.

Their views on MGS are insane.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By hughesman

Wow, you guys are defensive about the bombcast. I enjoy listening every week but I'm not going to sit here and say their negativity doesn't grate on me sometimes. I'm certainly not going to say they don't have a more jaded/cynical attitude towards most things these days.

No big deal, most the time they are funny when they are riffing on things.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#167  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

They never really talk about things that aren't out yet and they were pretty stoked about a lot of the potential the PS4 displayed. Considering all of the PS4 stuff is pretty straightforward and the Xbox stuff is all completely unknown, there's not much to talk about.

Also, I listen to em all, often more than once. Still great. There's a bit of a lull in the industry right now but they still talk about what matters and they still entertain me so I'm happy to keep listening.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nah, Bombcast is one of the few podcasts I make sure that gets listened to every week & don't let a backlog build up, along with Football Weekly. My backlog for the BBC's In Our Time podcast (where 3 academics get together with the host to talk about a subject ranging from say Hannibal (the Carthaginian general) to "Water" & anything between) is now up to 25 episodes, & I've still not gotten near to catching up with the History of Philosophy podcast. But between doing things like shopping, going for long walks, commuting & just sitting about outside in the sun I always find time for the Bombcast.

And I certainly can't agree that I think they are all that jaded, but then I've bought very few games so far in 2013 & nothing for console. I might have no interest in playing DOTA or Starcraft 2 but Brad speaks about games enthusiastically. Patrick spent 6 hours with Eve Online, he clearly sounds intrigued, & the whole crew this week talking about Papers Please was delightful. Others have mentioned that the crew were probably one of the least jaded & cynical online media sites when it came to the PS4 announcement.

Maybe you should just take a break from the podcast for a while. You might return to it with less cynicism yourself

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've listened to a total of 3 Bombcasts.
I like them, really enjoyable, I just have a very short attention span.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huser said:

@mariachimacabre said:

You want jaded and ultra-critical? Try the Besties. I love those guys but CHRIST, do they shit on games constantly. Even games they supposedly love like Bioshock Infinite.

I stopped listening once they basically dropped a game because it was boring for it to keep winning. Thought that should have been an obvious and predictable pitfall to the conceit they were going for such as 2010, ie Mass Effect 2 (not that other games couldn't challenge it, but those mostly came out about 8-10 months later). Why do it at all then, and why listen?

I listened to the very first few episodes of Besties when they came out. The inherently negative, cynical concept of that format was incredibly off-putting. Too many people get off on shitting on things. Not sure if that happens because they think they're being critical and at the same time creative when they come up with silly analogies for why or how they don't enjoy something or it's something else entirely but it's depressing as hell. Stop listening very soon after realizing this is how it would be every time (plus I didn't care for all that iOS stuff they talked about).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madpierrot: In my opinion, that first 45 minutes of banter is the best part of the show.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#172  Edited By LiquidPrince

@sless said:

Which is odd because their MGS4 spoilercast was one of the most entertaining things posted on the site.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By MiniPato

@humanity said:

@sless said:

I still don't know if they like MGS or hate it. On one hand they're like "oh my god, MGS4 was the perfect ending to the series with everything resolved! How can they taint the MGS universe with all this constant retconning and prequels!" On the other hand they're like "MGS is dumb, who takes Kojima's bullshit seriously?" So I have no idea what the fuck their stance is on MGS.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def said:

@huser said:

@mariachimacabre said:

I listened to the very first few episodes of Besties when they came out. The inherently negative, cynical concept of that format was incredibly off-putting. Too many people get off on shitting on things. Not sure if that happens because they think they're being critical and at the same time creative when they come up with silly analogies for why or how they don't enjoy something or it's something else entirely but it's depressing as hell. Stop listening very soon after realizing this is how it would be every time (plus I didn't care for all that iOS stuff they talked about).

I tried getting into Besties late last year and stopped sometime this past January. I like those guys fine, but when they're all together, I can't stand them. Besides the cynicism, it just degrades into giggle fests and forced bits that just aren't that funny. I stopped when Russ (?) made this silly voice and pretended to play an annoying character for 10 straight minutes.

Bombcast is fine. I don't think any of them are jaded, but I think most of them are at a point in their lives when they only like what they like. Patrick and Vinny seem to be the only ones that want to explore and try different games, and maybe Brad is coming around too with DOTA. I know they're joking when they give Vinny shit for going back and playing Homefront or Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but I like to hear what Vinny thinks of those types of games that are otherwise forgettable.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tearhead said:

Since when has the Bombcast been about games?

Sless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:

@humanity said:

@sless said:

I still don't know if they like MGS or hate it. On one hand they're like "oh my god, MGS4 was the perfect ending to the series with everything resolved! How can they taint the MGS universe with all this constant retconning and prequels!" On the other hand they're like "MGS is dumb, who takes Kojima's bullshit seriously?" So I have no idea what the fuck their stance is on MGS.

Yeah, it's weird... they seemed to have really soured on MGS in the abstract since MGS4 came out which is strange because the 2 releases since then went unplayed (peace walker) or they seemed to like (rising). I guess it's okay to not like MGS but yeah, their views seem so opposed - they like and also hate it for being dumb, sometimes they say it's too dumb, sometimes they say it's too serious... Who knows. I've just learned to tune it out because it's one of the few games/series that i know that I simply know more about than they do, and they don't have any desire to flip that. Oh well.

I think this might be epitomized by "snubbing" MGSHD collection for best HD collection award in 2011 and giving the category to SOTC/Ico collection. Pretty funny stuff. I was expecting the Halo/OOT remakes to take it since they were full fleshed, but no, somehow the MGS upres isn't good enough but the SOTC/Ico ones were. These silly motherfuckers! Gotta love 'em.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#177  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@sless said:

@minipato said:

@humanity said:

@sless said:

Yeah, it's weird... they seemed to have really soured on MGS in the abstract since MGS4 came out which is strange because the 2 releases since then went unplayed (peace walker) or they seemed to like (rising). I guess it's okay to not like MGS but yeah, their views seem so opposed - they like and also hate it for being dumb, sometimes they say it's too dumb, sometimes they say it's too serious... Who knows. I've just learned to tune it out because it's one of the few games/series that i know that I simply know more about than they do, and they don't have any desire to flip that. Oh well.

I think this might be epitomized by "snubbing" MGSHD collection for best HD collection award in 2011 and giving the category to SOTC/Ico collection. Pretty funny stuff. I was expecting the Halo/OOT remakes to take it since they were full fleshed, but no, somehow the MGS upres isn't good enough but the SOTC/Ico ones were. These silly motherfuckers! Gotta love 'em.

MGS is my favorite franchise and I have to skip every conversation they have about MG but the MGSHD collection shouldn't have won. It was full of technical issues like terrible slowdown and they removed a lot of material like the vampire nightmare from MGS3 which lead into the codec talk. They were right to snub that collection.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:

I don't mind non-game related talk on the bombcast, but holy hell does TV talk put me the hell to sleep. Not TV shows, but them discussing what kind of TVs they have, had, will have and talking for 30 minutes about what cables it comes with and the little nuances between each of the TVs they own. Pretty boring stuff. I prefer poop talk when it comes to non-gaming related discussion.

But I have been struggling with keeping up with the bombcast and even paying attention to their discussion when I am listening. Most of it has to do with me not being interested in any game coming out in 2013 thus far though.

@jimmyfenix said:

@psylah said:

This last podcast was gold. GOLD.

Seriously, you guys should probably go back and listen to the Arrow Pointing Down podcasts and the first bombcasts.

They very much state that on the podcast they will occasionally discuss games, and it has very much followed this format of small chat and banter for 5 years and guess what?

No Caption Provided

Why would they change now?

who in the blue hell listens to a world of warcraft pod cast ?!?!?!

Who wastes their time listening to a videogame podcast? I mean jeez.

why even videogames??? fuck...

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#179  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Real life happened.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Flappy

Nah! I'm still hype about the bombcast on Tuesdays. Goes well with my random games of 2k13.

AWalczak08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, it has been absolutely delightful to see them take such an interest in the small games they've gushed over for the past year. Hearing their discussion of Spelunky, Fez, FTL, Papers, Please, and other indie games has been great. And how could you miss hearing Vinny every week and miss stories about sheep shearing and baby antics?

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Sidewalkchalk

I fell in love with the Bombcast and subscribed and listened to every episode starting back in its inception in 2007, but as of two months ago, the show's become so insufferable that I had to stop listening completely. It seems really obvious to me that the guys just don't enjoy games any more, which makes for a depressing and unenjoyable listen. Even the little things that annoyed me a bit, like Jeff's constant "Ugh"s and mouth fart noises, seem to pop up more and more.

When I posted stuff about this before, the main response I got was that they were just bored with the current generation of games, and that the new generation of consoles would be what they need. Guess what? If the comments for each podcast (Which I still read) are any indication, they're already taking a big shit on consoles that aren't out yet. I can deal with guys who are jaded to a point, but by now, I'm convinced these guys should maybe consider getting jobs outside of games if they can't find anything to enjoy about them any more.

Maybe you should consider growing the fuck up and realizing that consoles are pretty much EXACTLY on par with what the Giantbomb crew say they are - laggards and failures (Wii U) and POSSIBLE hopefuls (PS4) all while the PC continues to scream ahead.

If you don't like it, go the fuck away. Hurts no one.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just could not do it this week.

The Dave/Rorie news distracted me too much.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Quarters

@sless said:

@minipato said:

@humanity said:

@sless said:

MGS is my favorite franchise and I have to skip every conversation they have about MG but the MGSHD collection shouldn't have won. It was full of technical issues like terrible slowdown and they removed a lot of material like the vampire nightmare from MGS3 which lead into the codec talk. They were right to snub that collection.

What system did you play it on? I thought the MGSHD Collection was one of the best I've seen. Making MGS3 silky smooth was worth the price of admission alone. It was fantastic.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#186  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@quarters said:

@sethphotopoulos said:

@sless said:

@minipato said:

@humanity said:

@sless said:

What system did you play it on? I thought the MGSHD Collection was one of the best I've seen. Making MGS3 silky smooth was worth the price of admission alone. It was fantastic.

360. It would suffer a lot of slow down I wasn't sure the PS2 version even had. The Sony first party collections are demonstrably better than any other collection I've seen.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#187  Edited By Undeadpool

@starvinggamer said:

What?

You don't like the Bombcast ergo the entire staff hates video games?

I must have hallucinated all that BioShock Infinite content.

And Dota 2. And Starcraft 2. And Mass Effect 3. And Binary Domain. And the 12 hour GOTY podcasts every year.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Quarters

@sethphotopoulos: Ah, okay. I played the PS3 version, so I have no idea if the 360 has some problems.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#189  Edited By Humanity

@sethphotopoulos said:

@quarters said:

@sethphotopoulos said:

@sless said:

@minipato said:

@humanity said:

@sless said:

360. It would suffer a lot of slow down I wasn't sure the PS2 version even had. The Sony first party collections are demonstrably better than any other collection I've seen.

I really liked MGS1 and would love to see it brought back in some form. Don't even make it widescreen, use that space for codec calls or something I don't care - but playing a bit of it in the MGS4 dream sequence was really awesome. I also think MGS3 is very overhyped. There was a lot of bad in that game mixed in with the good. Personally I hate jungle environments because in video games they are unrealistic and annoying to traverse. The original MGS3, as in not Subsistence, didn't have camera control of any kind and the regular viewing angle was nearly a top down view. This mixed in with no radar, resulted in a painfully slow crawl forward, occasionally popping up in first person to take in your surroundings not unlike a submarine swiveling it's periscope. Once you got to the bases and indoor environments I felt a lot more at home, but thats just preference and not some objective critique of core systems. Some of the boss fights were really good, the plot was ridiculous as always, and the healing system was absolutely hilarious especially when fighting the boss that used crossbow bolts. Hold on as Snake removes the giant metal spike from his cranium, apply some septic and banadage, good as new!

As for their views on MGS then it's the typically infuriating "since I don't like this it's bad, but if I liked it then it would be good." Azuras Wrath is apparently super crazy in a fun awesome way. Yet when they talk about MGS, Patrick in particular, they'll say it's dumb bullshit and the entire MGS plotline is shit. I think he actually said exactly that, "the whole storyline is shit" which is some extremely judgmental stuff to say when you're praising 999 in the same conversation. At the end of the day it's just a matter of taste, but it's definitely grating when someone seems to talk a lot of trash about something you enjoy.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By MiniPato

@humanity said:

As for their views on MGS then it's the typically infuriating "since I don't like this it's bad, but if I liked it then it would be good." Azuras Wrath is apparently super crazy in a fun awesome way. Yet when they talk about MGS, Patrick in particular, they'll say it's dumb bullshit and the entire MGS plotline is shit. I think he actually said exactly that, "the whole storyline is shit" which is some extremely judgmental stuff to say when you're praising 999 in the same conversation. At the end of the day it's just a matter of taste, but it's definitely grating when someone seems to talk a lot of trash about something you enjoy.

Patrick is prone to hyperbole saying things are "shit" or "fucking terrible" without providing a reason unless confronted to do so. So I usually ignore him when he says things like that unless he has a reason.

I don't necessarily mind them hating on MGS, it's their opinion, but they aren't really consistent about why they hate MGS or even if they do hate MGS. I remember Brad specifically saying he hated that Kojima was making another MGS game because MGS4 was such an amazing wrap up of the series. Then when Patrick asks them how they can like MGS4, Brad and Jeff say they liked it cause it was so stupid and dumb. Then they goes and trash past MGS game plots to which I have to wonder then why they care about MGS4 wrapping up the series and about prequels and retcons. Shit's more confusing than the MGS plot itself.

And for fuck's sakes Brad, that "Patriots manifesting in the White House walls" line wasn't meant to be literal, so stop bringing it up like it was supposed to be!

RevanNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped listening because the games/bullshit ratio was leaning towards the latter in recent podcasts. I don't mind some bullshit, but I listen to the Bombcast because I like listening to the crew having a discussion about videogames. Having to skip an hour or more before they even remotely talk about games is ridiculous.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped listening a year ago. Only listen to episodes I know won't have Brad (insufferable) and the wonderful Best-Ofs. So no, you aren't the only one.

namco51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By namco51

Weekly 3+ hour podcast about video games with a little real-life fun mixed in, dude complains that the podcast is shitty and not about games anymore. Unbelievable.

It's not the podcast that's changed, it's you, man.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Ravenlight

Weekly check-in. I'm still listening to and enjoying the Bombcast.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seconded. Do we get weekly chips like in AA?

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By blueinferno

I've been listening to the bombcast since August 2009 and I have no intention of stopping.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight said:

I'm eating chips. Does that count?

Have you ever had ketchup chips? They're rad.

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By sometimesavowel

Claims to be longtime Giant Bomb fan

Has 56 forum posts

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre said:

@ravenlight said:

I'm eating chips. Does that count?

Have you ever had ketchup chips? They're rad.

Do they come in a variety that can be used to commemorate an anniversary of abstaining from something?

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#200  Edited By triple07

In my opinion Jeff has always been kinda jaded so him shitting on current games doesn't really bother me since he's always done that. Also Ryan to an extent but man Patrick and Brad keep the flame going for new games as they both try out new genres and lately have been the most interesting people on the bombcast lately.