Patrick being great at Dark Souls appreciation thread

• 194 results
FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@patrickklepek: Thank you! You've been a huge GB content creator lately. Loving your enthusiasm

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Watched the O&S fight and he's not too bad, he is using a fairly generic build except for the Golem Axe but what can you do (what SL was he for the fight?), certainly improved since Gargoyle land.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insane_shadowblade85 said:
@jacksukeru said:

I always miss Patrick's streams live but have been enjoying them a lot, usually the day after.

It was a bummer how he forgot to switch to his shield when that lame invader attacked in Tomb of The Giants. He should be able to take him now.

He should yeah. That guy that stream snipes him is a member of the site and it bothered me that he would go out of his way to invade Patrick on every stream. Now though, I see him as more of a rival of his; an obstacle that Patrick must overcome before he beats the game.

The stream-sniper has kind of ruined invasions and multiplayer for him, which really sucks. Invasions for me were always an incredibly tense challenge, but I was able to kill invaders about half the time. But when you're being invaded over and over again as soon as you turn human by a stream-sniper with super-upgraded pyro equipment, it puts you off the whole thing. I don't blame him, but it sucks that he's now treating invasions as automatic death.

Not sure what life you lead where you'd want to watch all of someone's streams and hunt him throughout the game for the one minute he turns human in a 3+ hour stream. Creepy dedication to being a douche.

Dude, I agree with you, but if that guy is going to continue doing it I'd like to see Patrick defeat him. Oh, and just in case you didn't see it, he posted on this thread. His username is groin because that's a cool name to have, right?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpooky said:
@insane_shadowblade85 said:
@jacksukeru said:

I always miss Patrick's streams live but have been enjoying them a lot, usually the day after.

It was a bummer how he forgot to switch to his shield when that lame invader attacked in Tomb of The Giants. He should be able to take him now.

He should yeah. That guy that stream snipes him is a member of the site and it bothered me that he would go out of his way to invade Patrick on every stream. Now though, I see him as more of a rival of his; an obstacle that Patrick must overcome before he beats the game.

The stream-sniper has kind of ruined invasions and multiplayer for him, which really sucks. Invasions for me were always an incredibly tense challenge, but I was able to kill invaders about half the time. But when you're being invaded over and over again as soon as you turn human by a stream-sniper with super-upgraded pyro equipment, it puts you off the whole thing. I don't blame him, but it sucks that he's now treating invasions as automatic death.

Not sure what life you lead where you'd want to watch all of someone's streams and hunt him throughout the game for the one minute he turns human in a 3+ hour stream. Creepy dedication to being a douche.

Dude, I agree with you, but if that guy is going to continue doing it I'd like to see Patrick defeat him. Oh, and just in case you didn't see it, he posted on this thread. His username is groin because that's a cool name to have, right?

Eh, I prefer to believe he's just named after one of Tolkien's dwarves.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By TruthTellah

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”- Friedrich Nietzsche

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@ares42: Those are fair points. I'm not out here saying DS is the hardest game ever made or even the hardest modern game, but I do think that it's very challenging and demands a lot of the player particularly compared to most modern games.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

@insane_shadowblade85: Yeah, wasn't calling you out or anything, just find it annoying that one guy is setting out to ruin a novel and potentially fun aspect of the game. Also more than a little stalker creepy. Groin is an hilarious username though, so he's got that going for him.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#108  Edited By obcdexter

@truthtellah said:

[...]

It was my pleasure nonetheless - no hard feelings. I did plan on putting up a fight AFTER Patrick had collected the humanity - but I sure feel the way it actually played out was much more entertaining. (Those dodges looked way cooler on my side, btw. :P)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By TruthTellah

@obcdexter said:

@truthtellah said:

[...]

It was my pleasure nonetheless - no hard feelings. I did plan on putting up a fight AFTER Patrick had collected the humanity - but I sure feel the way it actually played out was much more entertaining. (Those dodges looked way cooler on my side, btw. :P)

You should let @patrickklepek hear that.

He sounded like he had finally seen the true abyss within his twisted soul...

The darkness awakens.
The darkness awakens.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Seeing the wave of guilt overtake Patrick upon realizing what he had done must be my favourite part of his Dark Souls stream so far. I can't wait to see how the marathon of Dark Souls pans out tomorrow.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By golguin

Seeing the wave of guilt overtake Patrick upon realizing what he had done must be my favourite part of his Dark Souls stream so far. I can't wait to see how the marathon of Dark Souls pans out tomorrow.

I hope he heads for the DLC as soon as possible because his gear and levels are reaching Vinny 2.0 status and I'd be bummed if he didn't experience the Artorias fight at appropriate levels. I believe Vinny only had to hit Artorias 6-8 times while two handing his man serpent greatsword with Power Within active.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By yoshimitz707

I can't believe he took down O&S on his first real try. I spent days and days stuck on those guys with better stats, armour, and weapon. How the hell is @patrickklepek so good at DkS? It's really making me feel inadequate.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So... Patrick just sauntered over that pitfall in the DLC like it didn't exist, probably not even seeing it. Didn't even know that was possible.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By emfromthesea

If only I was playing on the PC version. I've currently got an Artorias build on the PS3 version of Dark Souls, so it would have been neat to get revenge for my fallen comrade. At any rate, congrats to Patrick for taking down Artorias.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The darkness awakens.
The darkness awakens.

Holy shit. That needs to be a chat icon.

michael_katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#118  Edited By michael_katarn

@fredchuckdave: My first run I did catacombs before Blighttown, The Depths, or The Lower Berg and I had no divine weapons or the knowledge that divine weapons could permanently kill skeletons. I didn't even know that the Lower Berg existed and before I did the catacombs I got lost in New Londo several times trying to find the next area and using up all but one transient curse left in all Lordran other than the ones the New Londo Merchant had(who I died just before finding and didn't know exisited either). Boy was I happy to discover the Lower Berg, that was way eaiser than catacombs and New Londo.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@truthtellah:

So like this? XD

That gif is fucking killing me oh god. Reminds me of the Vinny one.

No Caption Provided

So good.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15: yeah these are the moments which makes it worth watching Dark Soul newbies^^

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@capum15: yeah these are the moments which makes it worth watching Dark Soul newbies^^

Oh god. Oh god that second one, such an asshole, but so fucking good. And I love the little hop run the boulder dude does before splatting the guy in the first gif.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By pyrodactyl

@sunbrozak said:

If only I was playing on the PC version. I've currently got an Artorias build on the PS3 version of Dark Souls, so it would have been neat to get revenge for my fallen comrade. At any rate, congrats to Patrick for taking down Artorias.

I was about to say he did it with Astoria at full power, which by that point makes him the most powerful boss in the game, but it seems Astoria's power ran out or something. I didn't even know he could lose it but good job on Patrick for making it through his fourth form anyway.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

So can anyone give me an update as to where Patrick is now? Stuck at work for a bit longer and can't watch him play today

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#124  Edited By amlabella

@demoskinos: He's currently taking on Manus, trying to finish off the DLC (though I'm not sure if he knows about that optional dragon boss).

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By EthanML

Pfft, Pyromancer is OP.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amlabella: awesome. I hope I get home in time to see him beat bed of chaos. I wonder if he will have as bad of a time as Vinny did.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@demoskinos: For some reason a lot of people have trouble with what I find to be a fairly easy boss, sure you're going to die a few times the first time in but it's quite possible to do without dying reliably afterward. But the common consensus is contrary to this for whatever strange reason, basic room geography eludes people.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@fredchuckdave:

Bed of Chaos is silly because it behaves contrary to every other boss fight in Dark Souls. It is very, very scripted. Dark Souls tries to teach you to adapt to what the boss is throwing at you, but you can't adapt to Bed of Chaos. Dying to cheap deaths like the floor falling out or they didn't time the jump properly sucks. There is no way to avoid them you just have to start over and not do that next time. If someone was barely squeaking by the rest of the content, it could be a nightmare. Honestly not having good control over the run/jump makes or breaks the entire fight. At least the designers let you save the progress of the fight in between deaths.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Fredchuckdave

This chat is pretty amazing. Kalameet is easy, so sayeth the all knowing Patrick, also Gargoyles.

@rayeth There are several puzzle bosses in Demon's Souls of varying quality, they're all easier than Bed of Chaos but largely similar in design; I suppose if I hadn't played Demon's Souls first I might have had more trouble. Still, finding the spot where you can drop on the root (not jump) wasn't very hard.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mb said:

@assinass said:

Is there any other games journalist that is as good or better at Dark Souls? Do they have streams up?

Jeff Green, he's a professional Dark Souls player. You should definitely check out his stream if you want to learn some pro strats.

Great clinch victory on Saturday's stream, despite interference from somepeople@groin

lol

He's been pretty funny, though. It's interesting how Patrick, Vinny, and Jeff seem to be carrying the same armour.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By RonGalaxy

@groin said:
No Caption Provided

Oh my god, that's great. GET FLAKED

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

The darkness awakens.
The darkness awakens.

Holy shit. That needs to be a chat icon.

Oh god this is perfect! I imagine Patrick makes this face before every battle.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gwyn fights for justice!

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Parry-killing Gwyn out of nowhere (he tried tanking him the first couple of times) was awesome to behold.

Well done @patrickklepek !

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Duder, it's over

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By planetfunksquad

Parry-killing Gwyn out of nowhere (he tried tanking him the first couple of times) was awesome to behold.

I know right? Best part was people were constantly telling him to parry and he was like "naaaaah."

Go Tricky, you done it man.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By TruthTellah
You did it, Patrick!  You defeated!
You did it, Patrick! You defeated!

cav86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll start by congratulating @patrickklepek for beating Gywn but deep down he knows he hasn't truly beaten Dark Souls until he has defeated his true nemesis FLAKE83

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did it guys. He Defeated! Praise the Sun! \±/ :D

See y'all in Drangleic for DS II

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

He did it! I can't believe I spent most of the day watching him either. It was still pretty fun though, and such a perfectly climactic end too. Congratulations Patrick!

So, that makes 2 people on the staff who've beaten the game. I'd love to see some sort of podcast discussing it. Maybe if brad gets further along. Also, I think he mentioned he was going to do some sort of write up on the game eventually. I love to see something like that.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selfconfessedcynic said:

I know right? Best part was people were constantly telling him to parry and he was like "naaaaah."

Go Tricky, you done it man.

That 5 hp parry at the end made it much more exciting and way less cheap than it could've been. Great work patrick

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

just saw the end, OH MY GWAD! I need to step up my game. Like seriously.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

Dark Souls 2 is just around the corner. :)

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By obcdexter

It was a blast. After successfully invading him in the archives and how that turned out I was, understandably, committed to watch the entirety of the following shows; including the marathon, of course. He had some impressive sessions - beating O&S in one stands out the most, and some really nice, "typical" Dark Souls moments - The Asylum Demon, Artorias and Gwyn! (who would've thought).
But he never tried out my Washing Pole!!!11 :'( It's such a wonderful weapon.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I'll just toss this idea out again: Firelinker Odetta and Moron vs. Dark Lord Vinnilaeus and... whatever Brad's character is named. PvP tank-match of our generation.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@crithon said:

PRESSSSSSSSSURE!!!!!! You know, I kinda stopped after Ornstein and Smough. After having high expectations from all the hype from everyone and their dog I thought "huh, is that it?" But yeah seeing Patrick play and Jeff Green play, it's fascinating the whole livestreaming aspect of just encouraging me to take another look at a game.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#148  Edited By eroticfishcake

Really happy that he managed to finish the game let alone give it a chance. Watching him play from the beginning all the way to the end has really been fun from the grief and joy that we've witnessed together. Hard to think of many games that do this. The funny thing is, he's also missed out on so much content from the lore, secrets and Easter eggs. Wonder if he'll ever see them.

Edit: Also, what was the view count? Wasn't it like 2,500 people watching? It was 2,200 at least.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@themanwithnoplan said:
@crithon said:

PRESSSSSSSSSURE!!!!!! You know, I kinda stopped after Ornstein and Smough. After having high expectations from all the hype from everyone and their dog I thought "huh, is that it?" But yeah seeing Patrick play and Jeff Green play, it's fascinating the whole livestreaming aspect of just encouraging me to take another look at a game.

Watching Rorie's streams had the same effect on me a while back. The whole community aspect can be a real incentive with stuff like this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Man, Patrick was just steamrolling through that last chunk of the game. Probably helped that he played more defensively than Vinny (they were both kind of overleveled), but still. Man. Serious stuff.