Philip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By Philip

Thanks for the info.

I guess I will keep adding to the pile of submissions ;)

Avatar image for americanpegasus
AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By AmericanPegasus

I have about 3 pages of images that are pending..they used to go through so fast. I defiantly think I have atleast 1000 points pending so if all goes well, I guess I won't need to go through this process again.

SolidusMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By SolidusMaximus

Thanks for the update

SoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By SoSerious

I like this idea. Anything to speed up the process anyway.

UncleD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105  Edited By UncleD

Sounds good. :)

Spleeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Spleeny

Like the idea of peer appraisal

Keep up the good work

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#107  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Hey guys, I didn't know where to post this so I'll just post it here since it's linked to moderation and submitting stuff I guess.

I'm dying to add a load of stuff to the site, but the drop down box where I select Normal, Sub-Title and Title doesn't work. I select the text I want to change into a sub-title, the box lights up, and I click it and it tells me the drop down list is expanded... but theres no list to be seen! I have tried IE and Firefox, and a different PC, please can someone tell me whats going wrong? Thanks.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By MasterSplinter
Newten said:
"Hey guys, I didn't know where to post this so I'll just post it here since it's linked to moderation and submitting stuff I guess.

I'm dying to add a load of stuff to the site, but the drop down box where I select Normal, Sub-Title and Title doesn't work. I select the text I want to change into a sub-title, the box lights up, and I click it and it tells me the drop down list is expanded... but theres no list to be seen! I have tried IE and Firefox, and a different PC, please can someone tell me whats going wrong? Thanks."
You can try posting that in the "Bug Reporting" section as well. They take a look at everything in there.
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#109  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
MasterSplinter said:
"Newten said:
"Hey guys, I didn't know where to post this so I'll just post it here since it's linked to moderation and submitting stuff I guess.

I'm dying to add a load of stuff to the site, but the drop down box where I select Normal, Sub-Title and Title doesn't work. I select the text I want to change into a sub-title, the box lights up, and I click it and it tells me the drop down list is expanded... but theres no list to be seen! I have tried IE and Firefox, and a different PC, please can someone tell me whats going wrong? Thanks."
You can try posting that in the "Bug Reporting" section as well. They take a look at everything in there.
"

Thanks, still getting my head around the site I guess, to the bug report section I go!
timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#110  Edited By timeshero

To make sure this website remains usable for all of us, /b/ must never know of its existence, what-so-ever.

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By pandorasbox

Sounds like a neat system, and hopefully it will all work out.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Quadrifoglio

Awesome. Thanks, Snide.

Rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#113  Edited By Rob

Hey,

I was just wondering if there is anyway to see what the pending submissions for a page or at least see the submissions I have already made and make further alterations to them. I've made some alterations to the main articles on a few pages and I would quite like to go back to them and make more changes but don't want the original text I wrote to be lost.

Similarly there are a few games I'd like to make alterations to but I'm concerned that I may write about something that someone in the queue has already written about.

Rob

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By brukaoru

I know a lot of submissions will take a while to be accepted due to the limited man power right now. Best of luck with everything!

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By sionweeks

Dude, take it easy. Trust the team behind the site, there's not much else you can do besides wait it out and see what kinda stuff they come up with. I'm sure it will be ok, right?

AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By AmericanPegasus

Well guys, some more mods including myself, have been added, so once we get a hang of things you can expect for things to improve.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By Vigilance

68 hours and counting.

Obviously the thing to do was to unload a huge array pics and small changes to the site and try to RUSH to 1000, then start writing longer articles, as opposed to what I did.

Blueblur1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Blueblur1
snide said:
"BlackWater, don't worry. We're on it. The image mod stuff will be completely anonymous on both sides. We've actually got a great idea for it and I'm pretty sure it will greatly alleviate the image wait times."
I'm surprised you guys were able to put together a new app/script so quickly to get that working. Kudos!
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By breton

A couple questions, and not just suggestions. So if you can answer me in this topic, please do.

How is the selected box art determined? There are several box art images pre-uploaded to their respected game, but why is one chosen over the other to be displayed on the main wiki article, and is there a way to change which one is chosen be used? I ask because there are quite a few that I've noticed to be either in a foreign language, or just not the best choice of available images.

2. How are the screenshots on the main wiki determined? When using "edit article" they aren't shown, so it's obvious that they aren't manually placed there. Are they randomly generated from the entire screenshot gallery, generated from any(all) gallery, admin selected, or what?

Maybe this is stuff that I would learn in time when I don't have to go through the queue, but as a nublet with no points it's bothering me to not know. I've fiddled around as best I could to figure it out myself, but I'm not about to make useless edits clogging the queue just to figure it out.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Turtlemayor333

This might not be the best place for this, but what are the rules on older games that are completely unrelated to each (different developers, etc) but have the exact same title? Does that all go to one page or are they split?

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Not_Rage
breton said:
"A couple questions, and not just suggestions. So if you can answer me in this topic, please do.

How is the selected box art determined? There are several box art images pre-uploaded to their respected game, but why is one chosen over the other to be displayed on the main wiki article, and is there a way to change which one is chosen be used? I ask because there are quite a few that I've noticed to be either in a foreign language, or just not the best choice of available images.

2. How are the screenshots on the main wiki determined? When using "edit article" they aren't shown, so it's obvious that they aren't manually placed there. Are they randomly generated from the entire screenshot gallery, generated from any(all) gallery, admin selected, or what?

Maybe this is stuff that I would learn in time when I don't have to go through the queue, but as a nublet with no points it's bothering me to not know. I've fiddled around as best I could to figure it out myself, but I'm not about to make useless edits clogging the queue just to figure it out.
"
 Staff member  coonce adressed this issue in this thread, 2 posts down: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting/33/changing-boxart/1420/#21
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By breton

Thank you much!

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#123  Edited By lordofultima

Sounds awesome, considering I uploaded a ton of screenshots today.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By get2sammyb

This sounds like a cool idea.

glennwhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By glennwhite

Not sure If anyone has mentioned this but I guess the image game would be like googles? Dont have the link to hand, but just search Google Image Labeler and I'm sure you will find it

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#126  Edited By sculsoldi3r

Thanks, but now i dont have the freedom to do what i want...

Felix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Felix
sculsoldi3r said:
"Thanks, but now i dont have the freedom to do what i want..."
Freedom to do what exactly? This doesn't stop good screen shots and images from going through, just filters out the bad ones and the redundant ones.
Doogie2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#128  Edited By Doogie2K

I'm just curious how exactly this moderation business works, in terms of timing.  I mean, I've had things approved within a couple of hours, yet I've also got a bunch of crap sitting in my queue from 48 hours ago.  Some of it is redundant now, because others have submitted what I have (I wouldn't mind being able to cancel that, BTW), but some of it is stuff that for whatever reason, seems to have slipped through the cracks.  The new pages, in particular, seem to be sitting and waiting and not happening, which I have to imagine is creating a lot of redundant work for the GB crew as others get the same idea (as is inevitable).  Anyway, I'm just wondering how this is decided, and when I can expect some of this stuff to be approved so I can move on to actually writing articles, etc.

Felix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Felix

I've posted this before (I think?) but:

For images it seems that sometimes they take them as they come in at certain times while other moderators work on the back log. As for text submission, I believe they are categorized by type, as in small changes such as theme, publisher etc... and larger changes that take longer to go through such as blurbs and articles. That's why you might see later submissions go through first, since they where probably easier to moderate and went to a smaller sub-queue.

That's my theory anyway.

maa4208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By maa4208

This seems great. Thanks for the update snide. I look forward to what you all have in store for us.

Avatar image for silentassasin5k
Silentassasin5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Silentassasin5k

I can't wait for these tools to come out. It is definitely needed. My pending submission is backed up 5 days now.

Felix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Felix
Silentassasin5k said:
"I can't wait for these tools to come out. It is definitely needed. My pending submission is backed up 5 days now.
"
Wow, is that for images or text? None of mine are that bad, and I think the most you could possibly have is 4.5 days, the site launched 12:30ish AM Monday :)
Silentassasin5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Silentassasin5k
Felix said:
"Silentassasin5k said:
"I can't wait for these tools to come out. It is definitely needed. My pending submission is backed up 5 days now.
"
Wow, is that for images or text? None of mine are that bad, and I think the most you could possibly have is 4.5 days, the site launched 12:30ish AM Monday :)
"
The day the site launched I submitted a few wikis and a ton of images and they are still in queue.
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#134  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I have a bad feeling that alot of submissions are getting left behind and forgotten. Like, the moderators don't even realise that they are back there. I may be wrong though.

Silentassasin5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Silentassasin5k
Sanj said:
"I have a bad feeling that alot of submissions are getting left behind and forgotten. Like, the moderators don't even realise that they are back there. I may be wrong though. "
You might be right, I thought of that too. Lets just hope that they can't keep up with the amount of subs.
Baltor3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Baltor3

Ok, oh and.. cool website!

AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By AmericanPegasus
I'm a wiki mod, so I'll try and answer a few questions

Doogie2K
said:
"I'm just curious how exactly this moderation business works, in terms of timing.  I mean, I've had things approved within a couple of hours, yet I've also got a bunch of crap sitting in my queue from 48 hours ago.  Some of it is redundant now, because others have submitted what I have (I wouldn't mind being able to cancel that, BTW), but some of it is stuff that for whatever reason, seems to have slipped through the cracks.  The new pages, in particular, seem to be sitting and waiting and not happening, which I have to imagine is creating a lot of redundant work for the GB crew as others get the same idea (as is inevitable).  Anyway, I'm just wondering how this is decided, and when I can expect some of this stuff to be approved so I can move on to actually writing articles, etc.
"
Different mods are working of different pages of submission...Two mods may working on what's 19 hours old, while some might be plowing away at what's 3 days old.Because if we were all working on the same pages, then we'd probably start steeping on each others feet.We're trying to work on the older stuff first though.Sanj said:
"I have a bad feeling that alot of submissions are getting left behind and forgotten. Like, the moderators don't even realise that they are back there. I may be wrong though. "
How the system is set up it's pretty hard for mods to completely ignore any submission forever.
Nibbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Nibbz

going on 72 hours...

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Absurd
BlackWaterCO said:
"This will turn into an issue

Good content will never make it now

Some will but alot is goning to be missed because (and I understand) you guys cant handle 20,000 plus submissions a week. I wish you guys had like a bot or something. I submitted alot of good screens and im worried now."
Pretty sure that it's anonymous, and that there are alot more good people moderating images than bad.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By nutcrackr

Anything that helps get the moderations done faster is good for me. It's really only the start of the site, and with lots of people doing moderations it's not hard to understand that it's hard to keep up. :)

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Absurd

Anyone know if you get points for image moderation?

Felix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Felix

I'm pretty sure someone said earlier that point will be tied into moderating images. It could be 10 to 1 ratio of images to points perhaps.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Absurd
Felix said:
"I'm pretty sure someone said earlier that point will be tied into moderating images. It could be 10 to 1 ratio of images to points perhaps.
"
I've already moderated so many images, I better get points :P
SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#144  Edited By SonicFire

Thanks for the update, I'm really hoping that it all catches up. I love to write blurbs, but right now they're all pending. I want to test the waters with those before I go for the full-scale article.

And from an editorial standpoint, is it better to write a serious, informative piece about a game or something goofy. I could have said a lot of genuinely interesting things about Uniracers (which I still have) but saw the bizarre, somewhat epic article there and got to thinking...
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#145  Edited By twenty0ne

I know everyone at GB is doing all they can to process these submissions, but things are getting ridiculous. I have many submissions three days old - some older.

And I can't imagine these things are getting processed in order either - a few of my submissions were accepted in a few hours, while others are sitting in my queue, collecting dust.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#146  Edited By metal_mills
twenty0ne said:
"I know everyone at GB is doing all they can to process these submissions, but things are getting ridiculous. I have many submissions three days old - some older.

And I can't imagine these things are getting processed in order either - a few of my submissions were accepted in a few hours, while others are sitting in my queue, collecting dust.

"
I have one at 87 hours currently.  My latest is at 28 hours.

If there that far behind I really think they could stop accepting submissions, even just for 24 hours to catch up.
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By twenty0ne

What makes me more mad is that the submissions aren't being taken in order. Another user sums my situation up nicely:

"I added a character 5 days ago, was rejected because 3 hours ago someone else created him already. Giant Bomb is flopping in this regard. They have to fix this somehow."

Here was my message from a mod because my submission got rejected:

"Your submission to George Gordon Haggard Jr. has been rejected.

Moderator Comment: Sorry, but this already exists in the database! In the future please make judicious use of the search function before attempting to add a new...well, anything! Considering the size of our database, it's more than likely what you're looking to add already exists in there, somewhere.
"

But, when I created my page, he didn't exist in the database. So now I wasted my time, putting hard work into creating a bunch of character pages, and they're all getting rejected because others submissions are getting accepted before mine, which is very frustrating. It's not even like we get some consolation points or anything for creating and putting time into an article.

Nibbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Nibbz

87 hours.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By twenty0ne
Nibbz said:
"87 hours.
"
Same here. I'd say about 15 of my submissions are at 87 hours.
Nibbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Nibbz

forget it im just gonna do new ones.... mine are clearly getting forgotten as not as old submissions are getting accepted.