Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai
  • Stormbirds
  • Turok sequel
  • Pandemic's Dark Knight game

What do they have in common?  They were all cancelled this year... already!  I don't know about you, but seeing more than two cancellations in a short period of time seems like a lot.  We did see plenty of vaporware last year (Tiberium, Eight Days, The Getaway PS3) yet in a matter of a few weeks, we've seen several games with lots of potential, but little support.

And then there's Winter, a game that was also canned this generation and made big news this month.  Winter could very well return if our voices are heard, and so far the response has been positive, but there's still lots of uncertainty.

Publishers and developers have been living in excess the past few years; the amount of money spent on many of these titles have been staggering and the returns for some have been lackluster.  Games like Gears of War and Call of Duty 4 obviously helped the bottom lines of their companies, but for every Halo 3 or WoW is a Haze or Too Human that sucks money down the crapper.  Let's use Turok as an example.  Turok was not exactly a bomb in the box office as it shipped over 1 million units, but did Turok make money?  The larger blockbuster games today cost millions of dollars to make so perhaps Turok was just too costly and ended up losing money in the end, which might explain the cancellation of the sequel.  The demise of Free Radical was linked to Haze which flopped on all fronts... and now Timesplitters 4 may never come.  In this difficult period, belt-tightening is popular and priorities are shifting to cheaper alternatives like... the Wii, maybe.  You rarely hear about a cancelled casual Wii or DS title since they cost mere pennies to develop.  Whether this is a good thing or not depends on your view of casual games.

Then there's Pandemic's Batman game.  The Dark Knight was probably cancelled because the window of opportunity was lost after the release of the movie.  EA could have followed the Goldeneye plan and polish the game to hell and release it at any time, but no game has really followed that strategy since... Goldeneye.  I guess they believed releasing the game a year or two after the movie would lower their profits enough to warrant a cancellation.  This is a case of getting to the party as they're cleaning up.

2009 is not looking like the breakout year we saw in 2007 and 2008 and if the cancellations are as plentiful as they've been recently, I expect 2010 to be just as weak, or possibly worse.  I expect many, many titles that we're looking forward to simply fade into obscurity before it gets off the ground, but that's the business.  Unfortunate, but expected.

Recession proof?  Doesn't quite look like it now.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dalai
  • Stormbirds
  • Turok sequel
  • Pandemic's Dark Knight game

What do they have in common?  They were all cancelled this year... already!  I don't know about you, but seeing more than two cancellations in a short period of time seems like a lot.  We did see plenty of vaporware last year (Tiberium, Eight Days, The Getaway PS3) yet in a matter of a few weeks, we've seen several games with lots of potential, but little support.

And then there's Winter, a game that was also canned this generation and made big news this month.  Winter could very well return if our voices are heard, and so far the response has been positive, but there's still lots of uncertainty.

Publishers and developers have been living in excess the past few years; the amount of money spent on many of these titles have been staggering and the returns for some have been lackluster.  Games like Gears of War and Call of Duty 4 obviously helped the bottom lines of their companies, but for every Halo 3 or WoW is a Haze or Too Human that sucks money down the crapper.  Let's use Turok as an example.  Turok was not exactly a bomb in the box office as it shipped over 1 million units, but did Turok make money?  The larger blockbuster games today cost millions of dollars to make so perhaps Turok was just too costly and ended up losing money in the end, which might explain the cancellation of the sequel.  The demise of Free Radical was linked to Haze which flopped on all fronts... and now Timesplitters 4 may never come.  In this difficult period, belt-tightening is popular and priorities are shifting to cheaper alternatives like... the Wii, maybe.  You rarely hear about a cancelled casual Wii or DS title since they cost mere pennies to develop.  Whether this is a good thing or not depends on your view of casual games.

Then there's Pandemic's Batman game.  The Dark Knight was probably cancelled because the window of opportunity was lost after the release of the movie.  EA could have followed the Goldeneye plan and polish the game to hell and release it at any time, but no game has really followed that strategy since... Goldeneye.  I guess they believed releasing the game a year or two after the movie would lower their profits enough to warrant a cancellation.  This is a case of getting to the party as they're cleaning up.

2009 is not looking like the breakout year we saw in 2007 and 2008 and if the cancellations are as plentiful as they've been recently, I expect 2010 to be just as weak, or possibly worse.  I expect many, many titles that we're looking forward to simply fade into obscurity before it gets off the ground, but that's the business.  Unfortunate, but expected.

Recession proof?  Doesn't quite look like it now.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

That is too bad...at least Arkham Asylum will substitute the Dark Knight game, at least for now. The absence of a Dark Knight game troubles me, but as of now I don't know why I am really complaining because I am not going to finish my current game list until summer. Better get going.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

The Dark Knight game was cancelled? I had heard so little about that game, I just assumed it had already been cancelled or never actually existed. It probably would be a bit late for that game at this point anyway...

I'm not too surprised about the Turok game getting canned, but it's still unfortunate whenever any game gets cancelled.

GMhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By GMhawk

It's never something to celebrate when games are cancelled and dev's die, but the 3 games mentioned above don't exactly scream "AAA Title" at me.  I think 2009 might even be better than 2008 ('08 had a slew of dissapointments).  I would actually much rather have a few  games of  really high quality each year (and have the releases spaced out throughout the year) than tons of mediocre titles.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

They were all gonna suuuck anyway. No big deal!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brukaoru
LordAndrew said:
"The Dark Knight game was cancelled? I had heard so little about that game, I just assumed it had already been cancelled or never actually existed. It probably would be a bit late for that game at this point anyway...

I'm not too surprised about the Turok game getting canned, but it's still unfortunate whenever any game gets cancelled."
I'm pretty sure I heard that the Dark Knight game was canceled months ago as well, around the time of the Dark Knight film's release. They wanted the game to be released around the time of the movie, and they weren't able to make the deadline. I guess they were still trying to push it out and then Pandemic was shut down so the whole project was canned.

I didn't even know Turok had  sold a million copies, but I'd imagine the sequel would have not been very innovative. Still, that's plenty of jobs that were lost.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

I'm surprised anyone shows any interest in the Dark Knight game whatsoever.  Chances are it would have been a crappy movie-licensed tie in anyways.  I mean, I'm sure EA is pissed because of the missed opportunity, but I'm surprised the more core gaming populace would care.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gunswordfist
GMhawk said:
"It's never something to celebrate when games are cancelled and dev's die, but the 3 games mentioned above don't exactly scream "AAA Title" at me.  I think 2009 might even be better than 2008 ('08 had a slew of dissapointments).  I would actually much rather have a few  games of  really high quality each year (and have the releases spaced out throughout the year) than tons of mediocre titles."

Yeah it's not like anything as incredible as Vectorman and Trinity got cancelled here. WWHHHYYYY!! WWWHHHYYY KILL VECTORMAN'S RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Cancellation of Turok 2 is NOT

I REPEAT

FALSE

Rumor was squashed

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Never heard of any of these games

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I think Turok is a good example of a game idea that used to be awesome, but is no longer interesting enough for anyone to want to play.

SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SaucySala

Dawn Of War 2 and Empire Total War.

Those two games alone make this year look awesome to me.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Kazona

I've never heard of Winter so I can't give an opinion on it, but all the other cancelled games I really don't care about. It sucks for the developer, especially if the company goes under, but with games like Haze and the like it was ultimately their own fault that it flopped--it plane and simply sucked. And well having a game suck when so much money's been pumped into it is just asking for trouble if you ask me. The saying, "you reap what you sow" comes to mind.

I know I probably sound like a total dick right now with saying that, but it's simply my opinion. Of course a lot of companies simply went under because of the economic crisis, but in some cases that isn't the only problem and I think it's important that we remember that.