D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By D_W

Hey folks,

With GOTY on the horizon and this year being a very dense year for video games. A lot of cool stuff came out and a lot of that cool stuff most folks didn't know about or didn't get to play. So I wanted to make a thread about what people may have missed out on to highlight the stuff that went under the radar so-to-speak.

I'll get stuff started off by mentioned a game that my favorite streamer really enjoyed called Master Spy. While a hardcore stealth precision platformer is not really my cup of tea, the Golgo 13 styled cutscenes and fucking rad music makes me wish I had seen other people cover this game. Seriously listen to this soundtrack:

So what are your games that went under the radar?

ImmanuelKant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ImmanuelKant

Under Night In-Birth (a.k.a. the best fighting game of the year), I guess. Probably because of how long the localization took.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'm going to keep saying Snakebird until people play it. It's just a really great puzzle game. Just a warning though, it gets incredibly difficult...

A video of the game from some YouTuber:

Loading Video...

dengou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe Gravity Ghost. Not that I think it's the GOTY or anything, but it's a really charming game with a great soundtrack (composer of FTL) and a story that actuall surprised me a bit by how it is presented. In general it is a good game to space out as it is not really challenging. I really enjoyed my time with it. Not very long either, just the the right lenght. Playing around with gravity and flying around planets is always fun.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I thought Lost Dimension was a really neat jrpg. Not mind-blowing, but I had a lot of fun with it. The turn-based strategy combat is super easy to understand (unlike a lot of other jrpgs lately...), but it's got just the right amount of unique mechanics to keep it interesting and separate it from the competition. The real draw though would probably have to be the out of combat portion where you're constantly trying to find out which members of your team are traitors. While similar things have been done before in other games, Lost Dimension takes it to another level by randomizing the traitors each time you play. Again, it's a simple little change that ultimately adds a lot to the game.

Not surprised this game flew under the radar though. A budget-priced, obscure jrpg, not made/published by a AAA Japanese company, released on the PS3/Vita in 2015 (a year packed to the brim with huge titles) had no fucking chance. Here's to hoping for a PC/PS4 release sometime down the road.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Technician

@immanuelkant: I have mixed feelings about that game. It's easy to pick up and play and some of the settings and characters are interesting, but it's a very bare-bones release. I also don't like the art style for the most part (with a few exceptions like Merkava for example) and I really have no clue what the story is about.

I do think it is underrated though and more people should check it out. I think it's an easy intro to anime fighters since other games like GG Xrd just overwhelm you with their systems. I mean just think about how fucked up it is that Rise of Incarnates got nominated for Best fighting game at The Game Awards but not UNIEL.

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By silversaint

I think Tales from the Borderlands and Pillars of Eternity are two under the radar games on GB. Tales from the Borderlands had almost no mention and its amazing(easily telltales best game), while PoE had a quicklook by Rorie, but for the most part GB doesn't play RPG games like it(shown by Rorie doing the quicklook). I feel both these games are in a similar position to Wasteland 2 last year (my GOTY last year), amazing games and at least 1 is probably Top 10 worthy, but they will never be brought up in the discussion and except for Austin playing Borderlands completely unplayed and completely disregarded by GB.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see it mentioned much, but The Room 3 was surprisingly good. Sentris seems like it didn't really hit, but man that game is so good as just a way to clear my mind. I'd also like to mention clicker heroes I don't think it came out this year but I've sure spent a shit ton of time in that game this year.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read Only Memories.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Gunman Clive 2 was pretty great. Maybe Stealth, Inc. 2 and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (which is essentially a standalone).

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Concrete Jungle - a tile based strategy/deck building game that is themed as a city builder and is really fun.

Big Pharma - a game about producing medicine.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You Must Build A Boat is mobile GOTY.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The Witcher 3.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I think Technobabylon is probably my under-the-radar darling of the year. To be fair, it did get a quick look and it's received some glowing reviews across the board, but I'm afraid it will be forgotten under the (admittedly amazing) crop of other games this year. I'll also say Disgaea 5, with the caveat that people really should research it before a purchase, because that series is insane. I love it, but it's not going to be for everyone.

My other low-key picks from 2015:

Hand of Fate - This got a quick look. I really liked the ideas behind it - a deck builder meets a simple Batman combat-esque brawler. It's unique and pretty addicting.

Citizens of Earth - A fun little turn-based RPG with some classic "collect 'em all" elements of party building. The huge number of characters you can recruit and the warm style go a long way towards making up for some of its technical shortcomings, but the bugs and the lack of a great quest tracker make it a bit of a hard sell.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Armikrog didn't get much love post-release outside of its built-in fanbase, which is a shame. It had real problems, but it deserved a bit more recognition for sure.

Party Hard, while not amazing, was a real treat as well. Scratched a bit of that Hotline Miami itch while being very much its own thing.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It was actually released really late in 2014, but I'd love to see The Talos Principle get some recognition since I don't think anybody really played or talked about it until this year.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

Basically every game released on the Vita goes under the radar but I thought Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines was a cool dungeon crawler/time management sim that deserved more attention.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talos Prinicple, it's not 2015 but it may as well of been (came out in December), pretty fun gameplay and a decently written story.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up. There are a couple of games available to play on the Wii U through the eShop that seemed to get some good praise. Freedom Planet and Runbow seem to be in this category. Earlier in the year there was The Gunman Clive HD Collection and Affordable Space Adventures, too. I haven't gotten a chance to play these titles, but I think those who have liked what they played for the most part.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d_w: Master Spy doesn't really look like my cup of tea....but the soundtrack totally is. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LeStephan

Id also like to mention the wii version of Rodea the sky soldier. Soaring around in that game is soooo much fun and the whole thing just sounded like it could never control well to me but boy was I wrong, it only took me 5 minutes to get used to the controls and they work great! . Its actually impressive how much worse the wiiu version looks and plays. And seeing as the wii version is a first print exclusive pack in bonus to the crappy WiiU game Im guessing it wont get much attention.

That master spy stuff seems all round pretty cool, had never heard of it before, thanks OP

@Jthom252: it did come out on ps4 this year :)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@jthom252 said:

Talos Prinicple, it's not 2015 but it may as well of been (came out in December), pretty fun gameplay and a decently written story.

I'd say a lot more than decent.

The Road to Gehenna DLC was released this year, which is also pretty great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jthom252 said:

I'd say a lot more than decent.

The Road to Gehenna DLC was released this year, which is also pretty great.

True, I might of phrased that a little dismissively, but I really did like the story in it. Gehenna was a pretty solid piece of DLC on top of that.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not really applicable to the GB staff but Final Fantasy 14's first expansion, Heavensward, was released during the summer. Fantastic. The FF14 team continues to do a stellar job. Great art, amazing music, flying was added (which I was sort of against for years but I'm happy with how it turned out), 3 new classes (Dark Knight, Astrologian, Machinist), level cap raise with major additions to all existing classes, and the Alexander raid released a couple weeks after release plus so much more. One of the best boss fights in any FF game at the end of the story. And patch 3.1 was just released with a new 24-man raid, more story, more dungeons etc. Unfortunately, I started working again during the summer so I don't have nearly enough free time to really play this as much as I want to, especially with the mountain of other good games out this holiday, but I still play it with friends when I can.

Absolutely in my top 5 or 10 this year.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@lentfilms: that game looks rad! I'll maybe have to try that out...

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By peacebrother

The Magic Circle is one of my favourite games this year. The quick look doesn't even quite get into the biggest reasons why I love it, but it does some wonderfully interesting stuff. If you enjoy games as commentary on games combined with a neat, unique world and an innovative "combat"/puzzle mechanic, check it out.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@kasaioni: This. And 80 Days getting a PC release which seemed to get overlooked by many.

Sunless Sea is a game that I really want to play more of.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By redwing42

Sunless Sea is really good, but there is a pretty steep learning curve on it. Once you get a handle on it, though, that world is fantastic to discover.

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Seeric

Below Kryll is certainly one of the most under the radar games to come out this year (here's a Steam Link as it doesn't even have a page on Giant Bomb yet). While it's been floating around both on and off of Steam for a while, it hit official release back in September with virtually no fanfare. This post is going to run a bit long because if I don't gush about it then I suspect nobody else will and it really does deserve far, far more attention than it's gotten (which is more or less none at all).

The extreme degree to which Below Kryll fell under the radar isn't really surprising; I stumbled upon it by chance while it was still on Steam Greenlight, it has had more or less nothing in the way of advertising and coverage, the ability to make a free demo account is available via the client on their website but not on Steam (I have no idea as to why this is the case), and the name doesn't even give much of a hint as to what type of game it is. That said, it really is a shame that it is so completely unknown as Below Kryll really is rather fantastic in many regards. This game is a 2D action platformer where the vast, vast majority of the content is made by the playerbase; all of the stages made by players are interconnected in one giant, vertically-oriented world and new enemies, traps, and obstacles appear on lower levels (i.e. certain objects are locked to level creators on higher floors and are available for use in created levels when choosing deeper rooms so new players and level creators starting on the surface aren't overwhelmed). The actual platforming is pretty well-made too as it's normally a bit on the slippery and fluid side of things, but you gain quite a few abilities which let you slow down or completely stop your moment on the fly.

While it currently has less variety than Super Mario Maker in terms of raw 'stuff', Below Kryll has a ton of features people have been asking for in Super Mario Maker. It's pretty easy to search for various levels and players can add tags, comments, and votes; new, unranked levels are clearly marked and players are even incentivized to play them as doing so grants a larger reward upon completion than usual. In addition to simply clearing a level, players can collect all of the golden shurikens in it (of which there can be anywhere from 1 to 5 depending on how many the level creator decided to add), which results in a large boost in the amount of experience and gold gained from the clear. As the map is fully interconnected, players can easily make 'sets' of levels by building them next to each other and it's not uncommon to see recurring characters used by multiple creators. Speaking of characters, Below Kryll also allows for the addition of NPC's and plot triggers, so it is fully possible to make a level with little to no combat which instead focuses on plot or puzzles. Players can edit their own stages at any time, though they do still need to be able to actually clear their stage after editing it for the changes to be saved. Not only do checkpoints exist, but you can tie the 'state' of enemies and other objects directly to a checkpoint via a color-coded aura system; enemies and objects will respawn or otherwise go back to their initial state when a player either respawns at or warps back to the checkpoint they are tied to, but it's also possible to add a degree of permanence to the states of enemies and objects while still having checkpoints by simply choosing not to tie them to a checkpoint. While players can't directly interact, there is global chat and you can see 'shadow' versions of other players going through their own instances of the levels so there is very much a community element. Lastly, there are all sorts of easily-implementable switches and triggers built into the editor, so players can do things like making a door open when a specific enemy dies or have enemies spawn when the player talks to a specific NPC.

In short, Below Kryll is an incredibly well-polished action platformer based upon interconnected user-made content and it really is a shame that nobody seems to even know it exists.

Honorable mentions go to Environmental Station Alpha, which has garnered at least some degree of attention and is far and away the best new metroidvania I've played in years (Axiom Verge wins aesthetically, but ESA definitely trumps it in terms of gameplay and especially exploration factor), and to Isbarah, which is a fun and surprisingly unique bullet hell platformer hybrid boss rush, but bullet hells have always been a niche genre and the fact that Isbarah takes the form of a platformer and not a shoot-em-up just makes it an even more niche game than usual, so at least its under the radar status isn't exactly a surprise.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@a_cute_squirtle: I believe there is a demo for Oreshika available on PSN, so you can give that a try if you are curious.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d_w: You're the real GOTY for hooking me on that damn soundtrack.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've been playing the hell out of this iOS/Android racing game called "Horizon Chase". It did get some attention on sites like TouchArcade, but the mainstream gaming press so far doesn't seem aware of it. Which is too bad, because its not just a great mobile racing, its a great racing game, period. The best $1 I spent all year... Here's a video of someone playing it:

Loading Video...

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lentfilms: Hmmm I didn't know this existed. I might have to pick it up after Christmas. <3 Japanese themed games.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Well my Game of the Year is Heroes of the Storm by far. Seeing as only Dan played it briefly I doubt it'll get into any categories. Shame they never did any groups of it like they thought they might. No matter though, I'm happy with the rest of the probable line up.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By paulmako

I have two words for you:

Box Boy

Aka the neatest videogame of the year. And from the 3DS eshop!

Random_Dave_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasteland 2!

Sure, it's a hardcore turn-based (on tiles) rpg, which could turn some gamers off. But it's been an under appreciated game because I don't see it getting any love for its story. And the story is the best I've played all year.

Seeing how there are many similarities to the Fallout franchise, I'd make the comparison that game does a better job with story than Fallout 4 -- especially in regard to androids.

The campaign made me think about what my choices would be in that world. The different factions and scenarios can be played out in different ways (usually just two choices) and the reason for choosing isn't black or white good or bad.

I could go on, but the game stuck with me after I finished and it offers multiple playthroughs and kinda deep character building. It has flaws and can be cumbersome, but it stuck with me after playing more than the obvious big AAA games.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami 2

The Witcher 3

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transformers Devestation

This game has it's hooks in me, it's not just that i grew up on the cartoon and it's cool to be playing something that is an exact replica...the combat is so much fun too.

WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WrathOfGod

I was going to say Legend of Grimrock 2 but apparently that came out last year??? So uhhh, huh. I'm very bad at chronology.

Edit: I'd like to see more of the Wii version of Rodea, too.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By sagesebas

Hotline Miami 2, know a lot of people were down on it but I thought it was fantastic.

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Human Resource Machine. What a fun yet frustrating game.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As people before me alreay mentioned, Talos Principle got shafted due to its release date. I myself consider it as one of the best games i have ever played and i don’t even like puzzle games. Puzzle design in that game is something that can be taught at schools. Another late december release was NEO Scavenger. Yes, its a roguelike survival game, BUT! That games has a combat system, that is kind of reminiscent of old text adventure games. I have never seen something like that. Its worth a look. And then theres Huniepop. People look at it and just seeweird sexy anime something. But if you have played, you notice that that game has geuinely great writing. It is funny and actually is kind of a satire for that kind of games. And their version of match-three is really satisfying.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Dying Light was pretty good. Mad Max came and went without much fanfare. But I'd bet most games that games that came out before Blood Borne are probably in trouble of being forgotten.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game I really enjoyed playing in the beginning of this year was White Night.
Has really great atmosphere for a game that only uses pure black and white, sounds good too.

Loading Video...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#48 fisk0  Moderator

Nightside and Etherium are by no means particularly great RTS games, but not so bad it deserved the total lack of coverage (not just on Giant Bomb, but anywhere) when they were released.

The classic DOS style CRPG Serpent in the Staglands could've used a little recognition as well.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though it was a release at the tail end of 2014, I'll post this because, man, it's basically everything that speaks to my interests. Plus the whole "rural Scotland" and "eccentricity/tackiness as sincerity" things remind me an awful lot of Local Hero, a film that is among my favorites of all-time and which also has a deep personal connection to me.

Loading Video...

As far as legit 2015 releases, I think people should really check out Chesh for iOS. It's a game that applies some roguelike-like mechanics to a Chess game. With each individual game, the player must learn of the rules for each piece on the game board and adapt according strategies on the fly. It's so, so good.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@random_dave_: You're talking about the console version? Wasteland 2 was my GOTY ... for 2014. :)