• 66 results
Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ramyun

OK, I am the first to admit that maybe asking these types of questions might not yield the best of answers cos you know, why should you care, VIDEO GAMES y'all, but I just want your thoughts on this.

I go and lend my friend a bunch of games cos he had just recently bought a PS3 and he had no games to play. At first it was just 2 games. I then lent him these 2 other games mainly since I never really played them. However, a few days passed and I saw a pretty mean trade in deal that i wanted to take advantage of. The game that I wanted to trade in was in my friend's hands and I told him I needed to have that game back. I had only just lent it to him so he was kinda annoyed, he hadn't even touched it yet. Some time later I get a flurry of obscenities from his direction basically saying how I traded my friendship with him for a pre-order. 

To me, I think there is an unspoken agreement that when you lend someone something you have the right to take it back whenever you needed it.  If that deal didn't exist I could have let him keep it for all I care. Am I jerk for taking those games back so quickly?

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CptChiken

Its your property do what you want with it.  
Also  " basically saying how I traded my friendship with him for a pre-order." guy sounds like a douche    

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MisterChief

No. He doesn't sound like a good friend.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By themartyr

Sounds like he wanted the preorder?

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By ptys

If you gave it to him and said, hey this is yours then your bad, but if it was just a loner tell him to buy his own damn copy.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mrskidders

Fuck your friend.  He sounds like a dick.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

No. The game isn't your friend's, and as nothing was set saying otherwise, you can ask them back whenever you want. If I were you, i'd ask for all your games in return, so he is able to get the message not to bitch about something that was given him in good terms.  

People are always looking for drama in their lifes.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Stab him with a knife :I

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By audiosnag

Your friend sounds like a bit of a bitch. Feel secure in the fact that you're
%100 in the right here.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Metzo_Paino

He hadn't even gotten round to playing it yet. 

You're in the right.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ramyun

What frustrates me the most is that it's like he totally forgot that I totally lent him these games whereby he just flips me off within his, let's say, vulgar statements.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor
@CptChiken said:
" Its your property do what you want with it.  Also  " basically saying how I traded my friendship with him for a pre-order." guy sounds like a douche     "
Taking it a bit too much to heart - yeah, it may have been annoying but you still leant him another game and have every right to take it back, especially as it was probably a limited time offer on the trade in
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mrskidders

Set fire to him.

BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrockSampson

I would be a little annoyed too if someone gave me something to borrow. Then a little while later took it back so he could trade it in. I wouldn't be so dramatic though.

Zafmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zafmg
@Mrskidders said:
" Fuck your friend.  He sounds like a dick. "
Fuck dicks every day
Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ramyun

Yeah, I'm just curious to what would invoke such a reaction like this and now I am seriously considering just never talking to him ever again and just treating him as an acquaintance.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Sounds like your friend needs a big sloppy kiss on the forehead.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jack268

Obscenities over a borrowed game? 

No Caption Provided
Is he 8 years old?
LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LibraryDues

I'm not gonna lie, I waould also be irritated if you lent me something only to demand it back shortly thereafter so you could hock it. 

But I would not make a stank about it because I recognize that its your property and I have no claim to it beyond what you want me to have.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Its your property.
Turn the situation around, he would do the same thing.

Fuck him.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

What a retard. No, you did nothing wrong.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#22  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

You are entirely in the right here.

I kind of wish I'd have done something like that, since I've lent (or is it lended? My brain won't cooperate right now) lots of games to friends/people I know in the last two decades, and rarely have got them back - and in most cases where I've got them back they've been in non-working conditions. Still I feel so much like a jerk for asking for my games that I just don't ask for them.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunExplosions
@fisk0 said:
"

You are entirely in the right here.

I kind of wish I'd have done something like that, since I've lent (or is it lended? My brain won't cooperate right now) lots of games to friends/people I know in the last two decades, and rarely have got them back - and in most cases where I've got them back they've been in non-working conditions. Still I feel so much like a jerk for asking for my games that I just don't ask for them.

"
Yeah, that's what sucks. It's better to get your stuff back as soon as possible, because I've learned that people will conveniently "forget" that it was your game if too much time goes by. Either they sell it because "I thought it was mine," or they lost it because "my little brother stepped on it," or they just won't give it back because "No, I definitely bought that game, dude. It's mine." 

I haven't lent a single thing over the past few years to anyone. It's because of the scumbags who ruin it for everyone else. I give people things, and I will buy them things, but I will never trust anyone with my stuff again. It's better to just avoid possibility of any of that happening in the first place.
stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stinky
@Ramyun:  

dude, your friend is an ASS. 
you are 100% in the right.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DrPockets000

He sounds like a baby.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time allen

they're your games so do whatever you please with them, but it is a bit of a dick move to lend a game to somebody only to take it back instantaneously. 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By armaan8014
@Jack268 said:
" Obscenities over a borrowed game? 

No Caption Provided
Is he 8 years old? "
perfect
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust

Nope, especially if he hadn't played it yet.  If you offered to lend him a replacement game, (maybe you did) things might have gone smoother though.  But, no you were a good friend for letting him borrow a bunch of games.  Sometimes I believe friends and family confuse the word "borrow" with "give".

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By ESREVER

Nah, you're in the right. 

I'm always so cautious about lending a game to "friend" nowadays. Back in 6th grade, I lost my SNES copy of Earthbound due to my friend's misunderstanding. He lent my game to someone else, and that was the last I saw of it... 
*sniff*

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho

A bit of a drama queen, this guy. 
I never got my copy of WCW vs NWO back from Thomas Falconer. And if I see him on the street one day I'll ask him about it and he'll go "What the hell are - get away from me psycho".

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dbz1995

'OMG U TOOK YOUR GAME FROM ME U R SUCH A DIKHED CNT BELEIV THT U WOLD DO DAT BECOZ I (L) DAT GAME WID ALL MY HEART AND BY U SELLING IT U R SELLING MY HEART.' is how I imagine your friend right now.

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shadyspace

Jesus, if I was him I'd be happy my friend was getting a good deal on something.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Romination

He's definitely over reacting, but I think we'd all feel a little bit weird if a friend lends us something and asks for it back the next day (not saying it was that fast, but you know). 

Wonder what game it was...

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ___pocalypse

Nah, I think you're in the right. I think it would have been a crappier move if he had already started playing it, but he hadn't touched it yet so what does it matter to him? If he was invested in it already, man, that would suck, but you're still allowed to take your stuff back. 
He isn't entitled to your things. You're being nice and letting him use them for free. You're doing HIM a favor by lending him $60 games, so he has no right to be a baby over it. And to be honest, it was for a  game deal, right? You probably would have let him borrow whatever game you bought with the other one if he asked. 

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bearshamanbro
@Ramyun said:

" To me, I think there is an unspoken agreement that when you lend someone something you have the right to take it back whenever you needed it."

Technically yes, but in reality no. Most people assume that you only lend out stuff that you don't care about anymore. Makes them feel less weird about having it in their possession. Actually I'd be more careful about lending games out in the future...don't lend them out unless you just don't care about them anymore.  Too much drama happens over this kind of stuff. Your friend sounds pretty selfish though.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#37  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@bearshamanbro said:
" @Ramyun said:

" To me, I think there is an unspoken agreement that when you lend someone something you have the right to take it back whenever you needed it."

Technically yes, but in reality no. Most people assume that you only lend out stuff that you don't care about anymore. Makes them feel less weird about having it in their possession. Actually I'd be more careful about lending games out in the future...don't lend them out unless you just don't care about them anymore.  Too much drama happens over this kind of stuff. Your friend sounds pretty selfish though. "

I guess you're right, though I've always thought of me lending them games the exact opposite way - it's usually games I love and want them to try out, like StarCraft, Half-Life, Perfect Dark, Codename: Eagle ...

StarCraft is the only one of those I've ever gotten back, with an unreadable CD key (I did get money for the lost copy of Half-life though). :(

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TwoOneFive

tell your friend to buy his own games. he sounds like a little bitch

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Doctorchimp

Wow, fuck that dude. 

Sure me and my friends pass games around all the time, hell I haven't even seen my copy of God of War III since April, but if someone needed it like when some dlc drops or they just need it no one says anything...that's how borrowing stuff works. It's a privilege in exchange for being a cheapskate.  

Sounds like if you can just cut ties with him do it. Not cool at all....FUCKER STILL HAS 3 of your games.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By Kazona

You should tell him to give you back all the games you lent him, and never loan him anything again.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#41  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Your friend was completely out of order, you let him borrow something of yours and when you wanted to take it back he started flipping out and trying to offend you.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Milkman

Sounds like he made a big deal out of nothing.

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Liono88

Sounds like your friend gets his feeling hurt much too easily.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By Lukeweizer
@Ramyun said:
" OK, I am the first to admit that maybe asking these types of questions might not yield the best of answers cos you know, why should you care, VIDEO GAMES y'all, but I just want your thoughts on this.  I go and lend my friend a bunch of games cos he had just recently bought a PS3 and he had no games to play. At first it was just 2 games. I then lent him these 2 other games mainly since I never really played them. However, a few days passed and I saw a pretty mean trade in deal that i wanted to take advantage of. The game that I wanted to trade in was in my friend's hands and I told him I needed to have that game back. I had only just lent it to him so he was kinda annoyed, he hadn't even touched it yet. Some time later I get a flurry of obscenities from his direction basically saying how I traded my friendship with him for a pre-order.   To me, I think there is an unspoken agreement that when you lend someone something you have the right to take it back whenever you needed it.  If that deal didn't exist I could have let him keep it for all I care. Am I jerk for taking those games back so quickly? "
It's your's to do with what you want. Not you're fault.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

He hadn't even touched the game yet so he shouldn't be mad at all. Even if hew as in the middle of playing it he should still understand that it's your game and that he'd probably do the same if there was an awesome trade in deal.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kiro

I never lend anyone something and take it back before they finish it, it's rude and bad manners. You lent the guy 4 games, that shit takes some time to get through. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BraveToaster

That's why I don't lend things out to people. Either they lose it or get upset when you ask for it back.  

He's obviously an idiot and maybe he shouldn't have bought a game system without buying games to go with it. The trade was worth the "friendship" in my opinion. I'm sure you'll make friends who respect you and your property.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iam3green

nope good job on that.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Popogeejo

You totally seem to be in the right here. 
I can understand being a bit annoyed over having a game just lent to you taken back but it's nothing to get really upset over you. If you're sharing games then it actually seems in the guys interest to have given you back the game.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gaff
@Ramyun: Two things. 

1. You probably could've left out the "I'm going to need them in for a trade-in" part. Of course, since you've said that already, point 2:
  2. You probably should've taken all four games back before saying "I need those two games back to trade them in".

Not trying to make matters worse, but still...