Anyone else feeling "done" with consoles?

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#151  Edited By Mattalorian

@GrantHeaslip: You're completely right of course, in retrospect I had completely hyperbolized/misphrased my original post. That specific quote you gave ("I just don't think there's any way to defend consoles unless you can't afford a gaming PC") was very silly, and pretty much the kind of knee-jerk reaction I was condemning. I was having a moderately heated discussion of this same thing with a friend recently, so perhaps it was fresh on my mind. Video games are serious business!

Anyway, precisely like you said, opinions are one thing but it's definitely not anyone's place to tell each other that they're wrong. I like having a good discussion, but when accusations and condescending remarks start flying, it's less a discussion and more a classic internet argument. It's interesting how something ultimately so inconsequential can incite such anger and drama.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By ShockD

I never began with consoles in the first place.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#153  Edited By GunstarRed

I will never be done with consoles, unless they go away. I still have far too many problems with a lot of PC games running the way I want them to. Its definitely gotten much better, but I don't want to have to mess with settings and things when I just want to play a game.

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#154  Edited By StealthRaptor

I feel the exact same way. I've loved my consoles for a long time, but for the past year and a half they haven't been doing it for me. That being said, I do use my 360 controller for nearly every game I play on the PC.

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#156  Edited By CooVee

I was thinking about getting in to PC gaming but all this news about Windows 8 being bad for gaming with even Gabe Newell looking down on it, I just don't know any more. I understand that a top of the line PC will always run games better then a console but it also requires more maintenance and knowledge which I just don't have.  Besides in the end I just don't care how nice a game looks or runs on a PC, consoles aren't exactly god awful in comparison. 

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By Ben_H  Online
@atomic_dumpling said:
I am pretty much done with fullprice gaming in general.
That's a good way of putting it. I won't pay $60 for a game anymore.
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though we're at a shitty period for new games because of the dragged out generation, Im still going to get a new console because its cheaper than a PC and less of a hassle.  Although Steam games are cheap, I wouldnt be able to recuperate from the costs of a PC.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@GunslingerPanda

I agree. Consoles are kind of a joke when you're old enough to get a job and maintain a PC.

Not really. Why pay for an expensive gaming PC when I can buy a console at a fraction of the cost?

I agree. I'd rather save those PC upgrade costs for my guitar collection. Sure I miss Starcraft and and using a keyboard and mouse for 1st person shooters, but a $300 console saves me money and headache.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#160  Edited By korwin

@Hailinel said:

@GunslingerPanda

I agree. Consoles are kind of a joke when you're old enough to get a job and maintain a PC.

Not really. Why pay for an expensive gaming PC when I can buy a console at a fraction of the cost?

Because your still typing this post on some form of PC, the only thing that really differs between what your using now and a gaming machine is a video card. That and any additional money spent on the PC is made up for in the savings made on game purchases.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#161  Edited By Heartagram

I'd personally much rather not have to worry about whether or not my PC can run a game.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#162  Edited By NMC2008

@haffy said:

@NMC2008 said:

My problem with PC gamers and their elitist attitude is that they shove it on your face on a constant basis, we get it, PC's are and always will be more powerful than consoles, NeoGAF is the biggest offender of this, holy shit, I've seen more pics of Crysis and The Witcher 2 over there than I ever have anywhere else(and I never enter PC gaming threads). Anyway, PC gamers chest beat when there is no need to, console gamers don't care, we're doing our own thing. PC gamers want you to know they will always be superior. I am only generalizing the loud ones, I know not all of you are this way.

HEY! PC GAMERS!!! WE GET IT!!!

Regardless of which side your on, people like you are the problem.

Oh do tell.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#163  Edited By Svenzon

Done with this generation, yes. I'm still buying Halo 4 and Skulls of the Shogun on the 360, but other than that there isn't much on the radar for me. I haven't bought a new console release since Gears of War 3, I think.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Jrinswand

Yeah, I'm pretty much done. I've probably only played a couple of console games in the past 2 years or so.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#165  Edited By stinky

tired of the shitty load times is all. rest of it is fine.

that said, there haven't been any games i've wanted to play in ages.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#166  Edited By sins_of_mosin

So your saying you are a visual whore and that if the visuals aren't a tiny bit better then its not worth playing at all?  QQ

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#167  Edited By hakunin

No. Why would I limit my options? That's just stupid.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#168  Edited By Hailinel

@Korwin said:

@Hailinel said:

@GunslingerPanda

Because your still typing this post on some form of PC, the only thing that really differs between what your using now and a gaming machine is a video card. That and any additional money spent on the PC is made up for in the savings made on game purchases.

I typed that on my phone, actually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

With the business philosophies that are currently in use for this generation, I fear what might happen to the next one, especially with the focus on motion controlling and the rumors of F2P becoming the primary way to go. If these things come into play, then the future of console gaming looks rather bleak. So I'm sticking with my PC forever.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#170  Edited By Slag

Going the opposite way lately, have a bit of PC fatigue

I don't really care about the platform as long as I have a controller and it has the games I want to play.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Terramagi

Welcome to the glorious master race! Your golden wig and six pack abs will be in the mail within the week, shipping permitting.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By MrKlorox

For this generation? Absolutely.

For next generation? Fuck no. Consoles will be the better value proposition when the new ones come out. Building a PC that can run the games built for the new consoles just as well or better will cost three or four times as much as the consoles will. A few years into the next generation, that will change and PCs of sufficient power will be more affordable. But there's a window where I'd be a fucking idiot to build a new PC instead of buying a console if I just want to play games.

@NMC2008 said:

@haffy said:

@NMC2008 said:

My problem with PC gamers and their elitist attitude is that they shove it on your face on a constant basis, we get it, PC's are and always will be more powerful than consoles, NeoGAF is the biggest offender of this, holy shit, I've seen more pics of Crysis and The Witcher 2 over there than I ever have anywhere else(and I never enter PC gaming threads). Anyway, PC gamers chest beat when there is no need to, console gamers don't care, we're doing our own thing. PC gamers want you to know they will always be superior. I am only generalizing the loud ones, I know not all of you are this way.

Oh do tell.

Your "us versus them mentality" and the fact that you generalize and lump all people on each "side" together. That's more commonly known as bigotry. You are indeed the problem.
Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Terramagi

@MrKlorox said:

@NMC2008 said:

@haffy said:

@NMC2008 said:

Oh do tell.

Your "us versus them mentality" and the fact that you generalize and lump all people on each "side" together. That's more commonly known as bigotry. You are indeed the problem.

Look, do you remember the Dark Ages of PC gaming? You fucking well should, they were less than 3 years ago. That era of INCREDIBLY shitty ports, publishers outright declaring all PC gamers as entitled thieves who need to fuck off and die, and lack of games mentally scarred a bunch of PC gamers. The wounds will take a LONG time to heal. It's the exact same reason people defend Steam to the degree they do - Steam SAVED PC gaming. If it wasn't for Steam, the platform WOULD have died and all it'd have is shitty game show shovelware and pony combing simulators. It's why PC gamers react so harshly to things like - say - Ubisoft declaring that 95% of all copies of their games on PC are stolen.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a decent enough pc to run most games on some type of settings, and there's some nice benefits to pc but I still prefer consoles.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By MrKlorox
@Terramagi: Most ports of this generation were just fine well over 5 years ago. I don't know where you get this "less than three years ago" stuff.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By napalm

I mean, I've felt fairly done with videogames in general over the past several months. The last game I was really into was Mass Effect 3, and since then I've reverted to TESV: Skyrim since that game is so huge and expansive, and I can lose hours not doing much. I did download a whole heap of demos for downloadable games on the PlayStation 3, and found some that seemed really awesome that I'll buy once my cash flow gets a bit more stable. But for the most part, nothing is really doing it for me. I already know it isn't anything to do with "end of the generation" complaints or feelings. I've been out of it for a long time.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#177  Edited By Fearbeard

A bit... When a console drags on for too long it really gives the PC a chance to fly far ahead technologically. If we saw new consoles last year or this year then chances are I would be buying most of my games on those systems and instead I'm buying them on PC whenever they are available.

When the new consoles do finally come out chances are I'll jump back on that train, but that's still a ways off and my Xbox 360 and PS3 are probably going to see less play time then ever.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By PillClinton
NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By NMC2008

@MrKlorox said:

For next generation? Fuck no. Consoles will be the better value proposition when the new ones come out. Building a PC that can run the games built for the new consoles just as well or better will cost three or four times as much as the consoles will. A few years into the next generation, that will change and PCs of sufficient power will be more affordable. But there's a window where I'd be a fucking idiot to build a new PC instead of buying a console if I just want to play games.

@NMC2008 said:

@haffy said:

@NMC2008 said:

Oh do tell.

You have it all wrong bro, I don't give a shit about anything other than enjoying my hobby, I am saying I am tired of PC gamers being snobby assholes, that whole gaming master race bullshit, PC gamers are the ones whom distance themselves as being superior and labeling console gamers as peasants, you know the console peasants thing that gets thrown around? The fact of the matter is I don't have an "us vs them" mentality at all because I couldn't care less what anyone else games on or how they game, but when I read the many insults I see come from PC gamers about console gamers just annoys me. Also, I am getting sick of the words bigot and bigotry being thrown around these days, it's like people found a new word to use and are overusing it in ridiculous situations, like this one, save it for the feminists threads bro.

My end game is, don't insult me and my hobby of choice.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#180  Edited By Icemael

Hell no. I'm not particularly into strategy games, first-person shooters or indie stuff, so consoles are far more appealing to me when it comes to exclusives. I can't play Bayonetta, Vanquish, Hard Corps: Uprising, post-2003 Cave games etc. on a PC.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Terramagi

@NMC2008 said:

@MrKlorox said:

@NMC2008 said:

@haffy said:

@NMC2008 said:

Oh do tell.

You have it all wrong bro, I don't give a shit about anything other than enjoying my hobby, I am saying I am tired of PC gamers being snobby assholes, that whole gaming master race bullshit, PC gamers are the ones whom distance themselves as being superior and labeling console gamers as peasants, you know the console peasants thing that gets thrown around? The fact of the matter is I don't have an "us vs them" mentality at all because I couldn't care less what anyone else games on or how they game, but when I read the many insults I see come from PC gamers about console gamers just annoys me. Also, I am getting sick of the words bigot and bigotry being thrown around these days, it's like people found a new word to use and are overusing it in ridiculous situations, like this one, save it for the feminists threads bro.

Stop destroying my hobby by virtue of existing, and maybe there'll be less animosity.

We didn't have these problems during the 90s.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By PillClinton

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Humanity said:

@Jimbo said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

The people that hate PC gamers are a tiny (if vocal minority) -- much more common, I think, are people that are sick of being told that they're idiots for playing consoles.

That rarely happens here though, at least not seriously. They're usually only treated like idiots if they try to claim that the advantages of a console are anything other than cost / ease of use / handful of exclusives. Those are totally legit reasons for choosing to play on a console, but for some reason that isn't enough and we're all expected to perpetrate stupid myths like "Consoles are better at racing games and fighting games and etc!", when they clearly aren't at all. Why do we still need to do that? Do console gamers really need a pat on the head to feel ok about their purchase? Probably not. They shouldn't give a fuck about what I think about how they play games, but at the same time they shouldn't need to make shit up about how consoles stack up against good PCs in order to justify it to themselves either.

Much in the same vein do PC gamers need a constant pat on the back that their computers can display better graphics in the same games? There are some people who enjoy console gaming, don't care how high their AA, AF or whatnot is on. Yet plenty of times, on these very boards I see people who need to coach them like they're some incompetent half-wits into getting a pc instead "oh yah well those games look O-K on a console but ANY reasonable person with extra income should just get a PC and play the SUPERIOR in every way PC version of the game! I mean it has Direct X11!"

If we're talking about the Giant Bomb community, nope, the smashing majority of discussions concerning consoles and PC, people use the other more important advantages of the PC rather than graphics, such as performance stability, higher FPS, more customization, motherflipping mods, 60-200+ multiplayer player counts and steadier online connectivity.

So the whole graphics argument is outdated and barely used anymore because it's been overshadowed by the more essential and radical PC advantages.

@crusader8463 said:

I'm very afraid that it's just going to be a matter of time until lazy devs just expect you to play PC games with a controller rather then include proper KBM controls.

Fuck you crusader, don't make me cry, fuck you! With the rising popularity of gamepads among PC players this might as well become a reality one day. Shit! I got nothing against controllers, they're really fun for several games, but mouse and keyboard is the cornerstone of my PC experience!

I don't think that's worth worrying about. In the games where KB/M really count (i.e. FPS, Strategy games), I think devs will always make sure that's solid. I mean, look at how much of a console push EA made with BF3, but that's still a PC shooter at its core.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By MrKlorox
@NMC2008 said:

Follow your own advice. And the reason people use the word bigotry is because of people who generalize and lump people negatively. If you have another word then use it. But don't act like that's not what it is.
Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Clonedzero

yeah, its not like its the end of this generation of consoles or anything.....

its not like a new generation of better consoles are going to be out soon. its not like those will be great new consoles.

PC elitism AWAY!

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#185  Edited By pr1mus

I'm done with a platform if it doesn't have the games i want to play. To see things any other way is madness, MADNESS!

90% of my gaming is on PC because 90% of the games i play are multiplatform and my PC can handle them better but i won't prevent myself from enjoying any game i want to play just because it's not on PC. Tons a console exclusive are fantastic.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#186  Edited By JasonR86

I bet no one else has ever thought or said this.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By kishan6

This is funny because Ive been thinking the exact opposite of that recently.

Ive been a pc gamer since I was like 10 years old playing starcraft at my friends house..... And honestly I miss playing consoles quite often now

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By AgnosticJesus

Not me, I have a gaming pc but prefer consoles. I have tried mant times to get into pc gaming but I just can't.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Zajtalan

halo reach

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every gaming apparatus has its own unique games and merits.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

The Xbox 360 has been my Fifa box for the last year, I'm not done with consoles but any stretch they just need to release a powerful Xbox 720 and I probably won't touch my PC for a couple of years again.

@Rave said:

Yeah I think I'm going pc next, I'm so done with th way console makers nickle and dime for everything. The price of digital games on Xbox is crazy compared to pc.

I completely agree and I'm sure the developers do aswell, you is buying Burnout Revenge on the Xbox store? Make it 5 bucks for the weekend and I'm sure it would sell atleast 50,000 copys or 250,000 dollars for the developer.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#192  Edited By Milkman

It still takes upwards of a thousand dollars to buy a high-end gaming PC, which is then obsolete within four or five years (maybe sooner) so no, not really. 

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#193  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Until Nintendo starts putting out PC games I don't think I would be able to completely rid myself of consoles.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy playing both consoles and P--[is tarred and feathered.]

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I will no doubt grab the new consoles for the occasional exclusive that interests me, but I'll soon have my two PCs and two steam accounts set up so the wife and I can play two player whatever we fancy ( instead of the few console games that still support splitscreen).

The PC has always been the better platform and I expect always will be.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Grillbar

@GunslingerPanda said:

wait what. i love love love playing pc games but ill still say that console games are still fine. so cant really see your point.

what you are saying is that consoles are just for kids, poor people, or people without a job.

i prefer some games on pc and some on consoles.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By NMC2008

@MrKlorox said:

@NMC2008 said:

Follow your own advice. And the reason people use the word bigotry is because of people who generalize and lump people negatively. If you have another word then use it. But don't act like that's not what it is.

I have not insulted anyone or their hobby, I have said nothing out of line about PC gamers and their gaming habits, all I am pointing out are the ones whom act like assholes and shit on consoles and the people whom game on consoles for no reason.

Also, who am I lumping together exactly? There are console gamers, whom only play on consoles and there are PC gamers whom only game on PCs, those are technically two groups of people doing the same thing, I didn't lump anyone anywhere, I didn't say all PC gamers are like that, as I said I am generalizing the asshole group, not PC gamers in general, I said not all PC gamers are like that, so please show me where I lumped a group together negatively. Why is all this hostility coming my way for telling it how I have seen and experienced this situation?

Edit: Yes, I know there are gamers whom game on both console and PC, but that's not the subject at the moment.

Edit 2: I didn't think my post would cause such an escalation to be honest, in the end, the only point I was trying to get across is that I am tired of the insults thrown at us because the choice we made as gamers, I personally do not insult PC gamers, hell, PC gamers are the ones who made me upgrade my PC, again, I have nothing against the general group, but I will say it again, it's just the ones who seen to have to let us know how much better it is to game on PC, I fully understand it's technically better but I don't care, I have nothing bad to say about PC gaming or PC gamers, just the annoying ones. -_- If you feel I am still in the wrong then so be it, those weren't my intentions.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#198  Edited By artofwar420
Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Sploder

These current consoles, yeah. I need new things.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Erk_Forever

I'm migrating off of consoles. It really ends up being less expensive for me.