Anyone lose interest in RE5?

way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By way

I lost interest after seeing Wesker and just the whole layout of the game. It's too bright, the Co-Op feature seems ancient, it doesn't seem like Capcom made any attempt to make it more survival horror, and Street Fighter 4 just appeals to me alot more.

Thoughts?

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I think Capcom ditched the the traditional "Survival Horror" genre with RE4.

Personally, I like the new "Survival Action" formula better because it's more engaging.

I just liked it better when the story was easy to follow. It's hard for me to play a game with obvious plot-holes (and don't even get me started with the movies).

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By TomA

I played the RE5 demo and i don't really like it,you can't move while shooting or reloading,and you always run out of ammo.It just feels like a broken game,and the gun sounds suck.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cheapoz

I really hate the controls. 

However, I did beat RE4 like 5 times so I'm too much of a fanboy NOT to get RE5.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

The demo really put what hype I had for the game to a rest, like it did for many people. I will end up playing it - but I definatly not plan to buy it any time soon.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Cheapoz said:
"I really hate the controls. 
However, I did beat RE4 like 5 times so I'm too much of a fanboy NOT to get RE5.
"
Same here and I also hate the controls. It's hard to take a step back, especially when I'm used to the fantastic RE4 controls on Wii.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ArchScabby

Well I never had very much interest anyway, and the demo just got rid of the little bit I had.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

Or knew what to expect from the start and got exactly that? Pretty much. Don't have a big interest at all.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brukaoru

I was disappointed by the demo, but will play the game no matter what just because I'm a fan of the RE franchise. Even if the gameplay is utter crap, I'll play through it for the story. I wasn't expecting survival horror since RE4 wasn't, so that doesn't bother me.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By chililili

I was hating on all of the haters earlier, but I have now sat down and played the demo. I realize my memories of Resident Evil 4 are too favorable. The controls are very hard, but not so much of a let down for me. You have to realize that the controls are not forced into you at the beginning, but you grow accustomed to them. however that makes it a crappy co-op because there's a very slim chance someone new at the game will catch on to the controls quickly. So it put me down, I however will be getting Killzone 2 so that can entertain me until RE5 gets a sale discount.

JDM006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JDM006

I have never played a resident evil game and was looking forward to resident evil 5 because of all the good things I was hearing.  However after playing the demo I was very disappointed.  The controls felt very wrong to me and I kept running out of ammo.  I might rent it when it comes out, but playing the demo made me lose interest in the game.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Shadow

I played RE4 to death, both on the Gamecube and then later on the Wii.  I played 2 minutes of RE5 and imediately hated it.  Just to check, I went back to RE4 for about a half hour and imediately got sucked back in.  RE4 is actually a better game...go figure

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoelTGM

I was interested enough to try the demo, but then the controls killed it for me.  If I want to play a horror action game I will get F.E.A.R. 2 this Tuesday.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karmum

I found the demo of RE5 to be very bland and average, then again, I'm not a fan of the Resident Evil games. I found the pacing to be terrible and it was sub-par. The controls were shady as well, and the "ready knife" really pissed me off. Moving the character wasn't that smooth as well, in my opinion. Trying to switch weapons on the fly is also a bitch. It was okay, but I will admit, it looks great. I guess I have been spoiled with aiming in games like Call of Duty 4, TF2, and the Gears of War games, because the aiming in RE5 is seriously bad. I hated that pistol with the red-dot sight.

You might not want to take my opinion seriously, since again, I'm not a fan of the RE games and I never played RE4.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#15  Edited By citizenkane

I haven't had a chance to try out the demo as of right now.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane

I haven't had a chance to try out the demo as of right now.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By teptom
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By breadfan

I lost most of my interest in the game after it kept getting pushed back, but when I played the demo I thought it was pretty good.  It is fair to say that I may not buy RE5 the day of it's release, but I am totally gonna pick it up soon after

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By justinnotjason

I thought it was pretty good.
The controls were a bit stiff but I chaulk that up to being a demo and not gotten use to them. Overall it felt just like RE4 to me. The only thing I didn't like to much was the fact that to use items it doesn't pause the game.
I mean while it's not completely survival horror, it still has elements of survival horror, so when i'm getting swarmed by enemies i don't want to have to go through a clusterfuck menu to get to a healing item.
To those running out of ammo....There's plenty of ammo, make sure your stupid partner isn't taking it all....That partner thing still kinda pisses me off....She probably would've been better off as like a recurring side character, like ada wong....

Also remember there's ammo in crates, vases and it appears sometimes after you kill enemies....There's alot of ammo...

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PureRok
JustinNotJason said:
"Overall it felt just like RE4 to me. "
That is not a good thing. If I wanted to play RE4 in the day I'd just play RE4 with the Gamma turned all the way up.
justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By justinnotjason
PureRok said:
"JustinNotJason said:
"Overall it felt just like RE4 to me. "
That is not a good thing. If I wanted to play RE4 in the day I'd just play RE4 with the Gamma turned all the way up."
hmmm you make a good point except I never expected anything but a clone of RE4. There are subtle differences but RE4 had a winning strategy, it became more action oriented and appealed to a larger audience (albeit at the cost of the diehard fans). But RE4 was known as one of the best games when it came out, so why would they change that?
The fact is they can't exactly re-invent gameplay for every game. RE,RE2, and RE3 were all, to an extent, basically the same from a gameplay perspective. They changed it for RE4 and are continuing down that path. I hear what you say, but fans main concerns (I think) are usually, does it look good, how does it play, and how's the story.
It looks good (minor importance, to me anyway), it plays decently (controls take some getting used to but it plays very similiarly to RE4), but the story has yet to be seen (seems like it'll be good).

So while I don't expect the game to reinvent the wheel i think it'll be decent. I would say 4/5 stars.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Systech

Yes and I was really turned off by the archaic and clumsy controls in the demo.

drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By drakesfortune

Yeah, the demo turned me off.  I'm still not sure if I'll cancel my preorder, but I'm leaning towards canceling it, and it was one of three games all year I was planning on paying full price for.

I really don't like having a coop partner, especially someone I don't particularly like as a character.  I also don't like the big muscles on my dude, but I didn't like his hair last time around either, so maybe I can deal with that.  Honestly though, having a coop partner the whole time is a big problem for me.  The first time she ran up and took ammo, when I only had a couple bullets left, I decided I hated her.  I don't like being rushed to pick stuff up, and I don't want to compete with the computer to pick up resources that I need.  The sniper part was fun though, so I'm sure I'll still pick up this game...I just might wait until it's a lot cheaper.  The controls also feel totally ancient to me, and I'm tired of fighting controls in games. 

Bottom line, if the game gets excellent reviews, then I'll keep my preorder.  Anything less than 90% on metacritic and I'm going to hold off until later in the year when I can pick it up cheaper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of. I'll probably still get it, but I'm not nearly as excited as I should be.
I absolutely adored RE4 and finished it numerous times on both the GC and the Wii.
But the controls felt so damn clunky, especially after playing RE4 Wii. Hell even after playing Dead Space which had fantastic controls.
Then again, one of the trailers had zombies on dirtbikes. That's pretty awesome.

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By destro

Hell no, the game is awesome. Its so fun blazing with my buddies then playing some split-screen resident evil. Its fast-passed and very intense. I'm always crunching my toes because it gets so intense. on the edge of your seat intense.  The controls are a bit "clunky" but nothing a little getting use to can fix. All together i loved it. Why dont all of you just stop bitching like little girls and enjoy the game for what it is. A fun and intense game.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Diamond

What?  Seeing Wesker made me even more interested.

I think this who controls nonsense is a big pile of crap.  There are tons of gamers that want old tank controls, tons that want modern.  The game controls just fine in the demo.  Noone has any right at all to complain.  It's just completely absurd and annoying the way people are acting on the net.

Don't like the heightened coop focus myself either, and I hope the game has interesting non-action elements like RE4 did, but I'm not too worried about that myself.

I'm very excited about RE5, but there are a few games I am anticipating more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I am sorry for not sucking dick at the altar of RE5.
It's a pretty good criticism that people feel that in 2009 we have pretty much established what would be the preferable control system in a third person shooter. Why do you think people thought it was stupid in Mercs 2 that you drive your car with the A button and not the right trigger? Hell, even back in the NES days you'd balk at a game which had B as the jump button instead of A?
Again, I'm getting the game and am stoked about it due to how awesome RE4 was, but no game is exempt from criticism.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive

i'd rather play through dead space again......but the co-op is really fun because it seems well designed. i like how you can split up and to do different objectives like providing cover from zombies so she could open that fence. 

I will definitely beat the game online not alone. 
Proto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Proto

I loved RE4 for the Wii just because of the way the controls worked. After I played the demo on my 360.... it just never felt the same.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond
TeflonBilly said:
"Oh, I am sorry for not sucking dick at the altar of RE5.
It's a pretty good criticism that people feel that in 2009 we have pretty much established what would be the preferable control system in a third person shooter. Why do you think people thought it was stupid in Mercs 2 that you drive your car with the A button and not the right trigger? Hell, even back in the NES days you'd balk at a game which had B as the jump button instead of A?
Again, I'm getting the game and am stoked about it due to how awesome RE4 was, but no game is exempt from criticism."
Every game should be exempt from retarded criticism.  If you learn RE5's controls, you should have NO problem with them, at least in the demo.  It's like complaining that Street Fighter sucks because you have to learn moves, or Halo sucks because you have to shoot aliens.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By artofwar420

I loved RE4 aswell, here are the emotions I went through:

1. Before the demo, I was really excited
  2. First few minutes of playing demo, disappointed at the controls.
  3. After changing the layout to the RE4 style, the game "clicked" for me, and can't wait for the final release.
Though yes the online aspect needs some work... maybe a lot of work. It doesn't really matter to me though, as I'll probably play it offline.
TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TEAMHOLT

It's hard for me to want to count down the days until release because of the controls, but shit dudes, remember how crazy RE4 was? Being chased down by a fifty foot tall statue of a four foot tall man? Escaping a tsunami wave on a jet-ski as the President's daughter rides bitch? Suplexing infected cult zealots over and over again until their heads blew up?

This motherfucker?

No Caption Provided

I'll get used to those controls if RE5 is as buck wild. I'm at least going to rent the game and hope for the best.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince

At first it felt awkward, and then I got used to the controls and played online co-op and it seemed really fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diamond said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"Oh, I am sorry for not sucking dick at the altar of RE5.
Again, I'm getting the game and am stoked about it due to how awesome RE4 was, but no game is exempt from criticism."
Every game should be exempt from retarded criticism.  If you learn RE5's controls, you should have NO problem with them, at least in the demo.  It's like complaining that Street Fighter sucks because you have to learn moves, or Halo sucks because you have to shoot aliens."
I see your point, though I find it a tad hyperbolic, but it's nothing wrong with people wanting an update of the controls when so many games have managed to take that awesome control scheme from RE4 and improved upon it. Look at how immensely more playable MGS4 is when you put it up against MGS3 because of the updated control scheme.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PercyChuggs

Too bright? Why, because of 2 small levels of a demo? That demo consisted of what, 30 minutes of gametime in a game that, if RE4 is any indication, is probably about 10-12 hours long? If anything, playing the demo reminded me of how much I like the RE4 style of gameplay, and how much I am stoked to play that style again in RE5.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Diamond
TeflonBilly said:
"Diamond said:
I see your point, though I find it a tad hyperbolic, but it's nothing wrong with people wanting an update of the controls when so many games have managed to take that awesome control scheme from RE4 and improved upon it. Look at how immensely more playable MGS4 is when you put it up against MGS3 because of the updated control scheme."
Well there's just as many people complaining about the controls not being tank-like, and that's what drives me nuts.  Capcom has created a compromise that makes sense in a lot of ways (one being the Bombcast mentioned realism factor of standing still when firing weapons, another being the intensity factor versus slower zombies mostly without projectile weapons).  The MGS series's control wasn't defined by the inability of Snake to crouch while moving, the RE series on the other hand was strongly tied to the old tank control before RE4.  Personally I don't mind a unique control system as long as it still works.  RE5's is better than RE4, and RE4 worked great.  Just because other games have done different things with over the shoulder control, does that mean RE4 didn't actually control great, and everyone was wrong?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I posted in another RE5 thread that my view of RE4's controls being better were probably skewed because of RE4 Wii, but with Dead Space fresh in my mind it just feels like such an enormous step backwards. I can understand being frustrated that a huge amount of people are bitching about it, but wouldn't the very fact that alot of people are bitching about it make it a valid point? I'd understand if some guy like SmugDarkLoser was bitching about it not being Halo or TwoOneFive was yammering on about how it's not Killzone 2, but there seems to be a huge amount of people excited about this game who are turned off by the controls and to utterly dismiss them as you did in your original post seems a tad rude.

Xero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Xero

This game lost some of the RE feel for me...

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Diamond
TeflonBilly said:
"I posted in another RE5 thread that my view of RE4's controls being better were probably skewed because of RE4 Wii, but with Dead Space fresh in my mind it just feels like such an enormous step backwards. I can understand being frustrated that a huge amount of people are bitching about it, but wouldn't the very fact that alot of people are bitching about it make it a valid point? I'd understand if some guy like SmugDarkLoser was bitching about it not being Halo or TwoOneFive was yammering on about how it's not Killzone 2, but there seems to be a huge amount of people excited about this game who are turned off by the controls and to utterly dismiss them as you did in your original post seems a tad rude."
If they had Dead Space controls the bitching would be about how the game is just an action shooter now and it's a Gears of War clone or other crap.  Basically Capcom is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Xero said:
"This game lost some of the RE feel for me..."
Like this or worse.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By grilledcheez

I liked the demo myself but I don't see myself picking it up first day. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diamond said:
"If they had Dead Space controls the bitching would be about how the game is just an action shooter now and it's a Gears of War clone or other crap.  Basically Capcom is damned if they do, damned if they don't."
Oh totally. But all they need to do to satisfy at least my needs would be the option to tweak the sensitivity a little more.
It's like with Dar Sector. Here you have a guy who's not wearing bulky armor a la Gears Of War, yet he handles like he's having shit running down his pantleg.
Chris and Sheeva aren't hampered by anything which should make their movement THAT awkward. It's like they're wearing Forrest Gump leg braces or something.

As for the criticism of it having lost it's RE feel, they changed the whole idea of a RE feel with the last game so that is not even a thing anymore.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By tekmojo

Hoped for better. I will not buy this game after the demo.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DeadlyPain

i hate how people judge the whole game from a demo

i've not played the demo myself but shall be doing in afew days, i've watched alot of vids of the demo being played and from what i've seen it looks and plays exactly like RE4 except it has better graphics - and on that note for me, it should be a great game.......i shall quote "Should" just incase ;)

Biggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Biggles

Having to select items in real-time while fighting is a 100% gay idea. If you really want to do that, at least give us a hot-key option.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By zitosilva

I actually wasn't expecting nothing out of it before I played the demo.

After playing though, it made me look forward to the game. Of course the controls aren't great, but I could get used to them pretty quickly, and the co-op seems like a fresh breeze into the RE universe. I liked it.

I'm just wondering if the final version will still have those incomplete screens in offline co-op.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By chililili
Biggles said:
"Having to select items in real-time while fighting is a 100% gay idea. If you really want to do that, at least give us a hot-key option."
ummmm the d-pad is a hotkey option man, you can map items to it.
RealEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RealEddie

I'm so tired of those old RE controls. Before I played the demo I did not think it would be such a huge thing. But just a few minutes in I got so frustrated. Why have they made the controls so stiff. Ok, so you can't move while aiming, fine. But why can't you look around while reloading? Why do you have to turn so slow?
The hotkey option on the d-pad was a good idea.

This demo really made me question weather I should buy this game. I loved RE4 but come on, a little progress would have been nice.