Apple and gaming...

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By mthe1337one

anyone else getting fed up with all this BS with apple claiming they can overtake the DS/PSP?  don't get me wrong...after having had a chance to play around with my friend's jailbroken Ipod Touch, it seems like it would work as the "next generation" of casual gaming; what with the whole tilt sensor doohickey.  it's commendable that there is a considerable user-base of iphone/touch users who actually download games for their multitasking portable, but what percentage of games are actually FUN on the system?

PSP:
- god of war chains of olympus
- crisis core ff7
- dj max fever (along with the original korean imports)
- lumines 1 and 2
- patapon 1 and 2
- daxter
- and now the upcoming assassin's creed, motorstorm, little big planet, rock band portable

all the above being examples of games that will never be pulled off on an iphone/touch unless drastically changed or dumbed-down.

i won't even attempt to list all the good games that are available on DS.  suffice it to say, there's a chance some DS games could possibly be pulled off on an iphone/touch...but the fact that the iphone/touch doesn't have a d-pad or face buttons will be it's downfall IF apple ever considers going one on one against 2 portable gaming systems that have made their mark on the whole gaming community.

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By mthe1337one

anyone else getting fed up with all this BS with apple claiming they can overtake the DS/PSP?  don't get me wrong...after having had a chance to play around with my friend's jailbroken Ipod Touch, it seems like it would work as the "next generation" of casual gaming; what with the whole tilt sensor doohickey.  it's commendable that there is a considerable user-base of iphone/touch users who actually download games for their multitasking portable, but what percentage of games are actually FUN on the system?

PSP:
- god of war chains of olympus
- crisis core ff7
- dj max fever (along with the original korean imports)
- lumines 1 and 2
- patapon 1 and 2
- daxter
- and now the upcoming assassin's creed, motorstorm, little big planet, rock band portable

all the above being examples of games that will never be pulled off on an iphone/touch unless drastically changed or dumbed-down.

i won't even attempt to list all the good games that are available on DS.  suffice it to say, there's a chance some DS games could possibly be pulled off on an iphone/touch...but the fact that the iphone/touch doesn't have a d-pad or face buttons will be it's downfall IF apple ever considers going one on one against 2 portable gaming systems that have made their mark on the whole gaming community.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Well it's Apple, so I'm going to say at least from a hardware standpoint they don't stand a chance.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Dalai

Apple should just make a true handheld, not this all-in-one clusterfuck of apps.  Apple can really compete if they made some sort of DS/PSP hybrid aimed at casual gamers.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By DJ_Lae

Seriously? I'd think that Crisis Core, DJ Max Fever, Lumines, and Patapon woudl all work perfectly fine on the iPhone/Touch. The games that are not well suited are traditional action-adventure games (like God of War) or racing games, since tilting the iPod to steer is a terrible, terrible thing. More developers need to realize that, and people need to stop buying all of the shitty games.

But anyway, gimme Lumines or Meteos or Patapon on the iPod anyday. RPGs would be great too.