• 94 results
#1 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

I'm about to get a new tv and I want something to play that looks really really good on it. Any suggestions. The game can be sort of junk as long as it looks good for this purpose.

#2 Edited by awesomeusername (4182 posts) -

Uncharted 2, 3, God of War 3. Heavy Rain. & Killzone 3

Edit: I just noticed PS3 wasn't in the title. I confused this with a different thread. Oh well.

#3 Posted by DarthOrange (3860 posts) -

I still think God of War 3 is the nicest looking game of this generation, but an argument could be made for Uncharted 3. 

#4 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Most PS3 exclusives.

Also I don't care what anyone says MGS4 still looks phenomenal

#5 Posted by Kyelb22 (297 posts) -

I came here to say God of War 3, but it looks like I was beaten to it. Rayman Origins and Red Dead for shear style. Riding across the frontier on horseback during sunset is still one of my favorite scenes from games of this generation.

#6 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1572 posts) -
#7 Posted by shootermcclay (219 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4 was far beyond any game when it came out in 2008, but then Uncharted 2, God of War 3, and Uncharted 3 came out. Journey, Flower, and Trine 2 are also absolutely gorgeous.

#8 Posted by Vinny_Says (5704 posts) -

Dues Ex has got the style that can't be beat, but the textures can get pretty bad in some spots.

I'm hearing that that new Halo 4 looks phenomenal too. We'll see in 2 weeks I guess. Oh and all the other games mentioned above.

#9 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
#10 Posted by EVO (3901 posts) -

Without a doubt, Wipeout HD. Especially Zone Mode.

Great game, too.

#11 Edited by adam1808 (1488 posts) -

Got to pour one out to Dead Space 2

#12 Posted by Animasta (14689 posts) -

El Shaddai is pretty amazing looking

#13 Posted by Tebbit (4462 posts) -

@EVO said:

Great game, too.

Zone mode looks incredible on a nice big TV. It even looks pretty good on a CRT, which I had the pleasure of being my only option about a year ago.

#14 Posted by TyCobb (1971 posts) -

Skyrim on the PC... it's still a console game =P

#15 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Journey. Dat sand. Or God of War 3.

#16 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@Animasta said:

El Shaddai is pretty amazing looking

It sure is. Love that game.

#17 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Kirby's Epic Yarn or Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time.

#18 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

Uncharted 2 and 3 on the technical side.

On the more artistic side i'd go with Journey, Metal Gear Solid 4, Super Mario Galaxy, or Braid. I include MGS4 because it's been trumped technically, but things just have a style in MGS games I like. Also Red Dead Redemption looks really good. Walk into town on a rainy day and the areas where horses have stomped through are muddy with horseshoe-prints forming little puddles. Also on the larger scale it just looked so nice and expansive.

#19 Posted by adam1808 (1488 posts) -

@Tebbit said:

@EVO said:

Great game, too.

Zone mode looks incredible on a nice big TV. It even looks pretty good on a CRT, which I had the pleasure of being my only option about a year ago.

Dude I still play on a CRT. It's a nice big set so I don't mind that much and I generally play a lot of PC games but whenever there comes a time for some consoling I'm still looking at sub HD visuals.

#20 Posted by Deadlypixels (72 posts) -

Mirror's Edge will probably the most visually striking game I will ever play

#21 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1009 posts) -

Just plug your PC into your TV. This sounds like trolling but you can run any game with 1080p and results will be better than with consoles. You get better AA and frame rate, meaning that even previous gen PC-games can look technically good.

#22 Posted by JackG100 (405 posts) -

The Witcher 2.

#23 Posted by GunstarRed (5167 posts) -

Probably one of the PS3 exclusives. Ratchet ACIT, God of War 3, Uncharted 2 & 3. I also think both Gears 3 and Dead Space look amazing.

#24 Posted by CptBedlam (4450 posts) -

Apart from the occasional PS3 exclusive: Witcher 2 and Forza Horizon.

#25 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

I don't know if it's the absolute best looking game this generation... but the scripted scenes from Dead Space 2 are something on an entirely new level.

#26 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

The scenery of Alice: Madness Returns is pretty great.

#27 Posted by tourgen (4492 posts) -

I've been most impressed by some of the lighting effects and design in Dead Space 1 and 2. Witcher 2 is the best looking overall though.

#28 Edited by geirr (2561 posts) -

Technically I don't think Uncharted 2 or 3 can be beat on consoles. I don't know how they did what they did in those games, they're just gorgeous to look at and I mostly play PC games for comparison. It's not only graphics though - How Drake reacts to the surroundings, and how the surroundings react to him is astounding and makes many other games feel like you're playing an awkward cardboard cut-out ontop of a rotating 3D world.

#29 Posted by Akeldama (4246 posts) -

MGS4 and just about every other PS3 exclusive.

#30 Posted by Kidavenger (3544 posts) -

I downloaded the high resolution pack for sleeping dogs last week and damn does that game look amazing with that installed, first game in 3 years that makes me think I need a new videocard .

#31 Edited by Jeust (10631 posts) -
  • Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 are beautiful
  • Catherine if you're into anime
  • Heavy Rain has some slick graphics too
  • Child of Eden has impressive graphic style too
  • Alice Madness Returns has some impressive and beautiful style
  • Star Wars The Force Unleashed with its high definition and creative landscapes is also beautiful
  • Dead Space and his haunting use of lighting
  • Fable 2 and 3 with its breadth of scope and style

Two Worlds 2, Witcher 2, The Elder Scrools: Skyrim and Killzone 2 look also very impressive.

#32 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

Skyrim.

#33 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (283 posts) -

Uncharted 2 looked pretty fantastic. If we're not talking specs and just the aesthetical look of the game, Mario Galaxy is also fantastic to just look at in awe.

#34 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

Could halo 4 make this list? The game's looking kinda insane considering the amount going on in it. I'm pretty sure it has the largest budget for any game on the Xbox 360 so you'd hope some of that cash actually went into development and not the colossal marketing push the game's getting.

As for released games I'd say uncharted 2, my mouth was agape during the part in the ice caves.

#35 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Gears of War 3 in terms of technical

But i'd say Red Dead Redemption for just being a great looking game.

#36 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

@Deadlypixels: I still think that game looks phenomenal.

#37 Edited by Vitor (2820 posts) -

@EVO said:

Great game, too.

A thousand times this.

Man, the closure of studio Liverpool bums me the hell out. I know Sony will make more Wipeout games, but without the original team, I'm not sure that I'm interested.

Wipeout HD was one of the few games that ran at native 1080 on PS3 and at 60FPS and this was when it launched 4 years ago. It was an astounding achievement back then and there's still no other racer out that that looks better. I'd even argue that few games look better today.

Also, as a fan of arcade racers, I'd say that this was without a doubt the best non-sim racing game of this gen, no contest.

And the Fury add on was a tremendous expansion. Fuck me I'm sad now...

#38 Posted by EuanDewar (4907 posts) -

Journey.

All though the dude who said Mirrors Edge was on to something, game is amazing to look at

#39 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Prince of Persia '08

#40 Posted by mosespippy (4161 posts) -

The best looking in terms of art style would be Valkyria Chronicles in my opinion. Prince of Persia 08 is pretty good too. In terms of technical merit, I think the rest of these guys have you covered for the most part. FFXIII loks pretty good and I'm sure FF XIII-2 does as well. They aren't great games but at least they look good.

#41 Posted by Spoonman671 (4631 posts) -

If you just want something pretty to look at then you should probably pick up Journey or Shank (or, I guess, Mark of the Ninja, but that game tends to just be a black screen most of the time) since they're cheap.  Journey is on par with retail games visually, and Shank has amazing 2D animation.

#42 Edited by handlas (2678 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption.

Forza Horizon looks nice as well... great lighting. Game is really beautiful during the sunset.

LA Noire.

#43 Posted by yoshisaur (2716 posts) -

Honestly just pick up anything that is a 2D/2.5D platformer and you're in for a treat. I know that Rayman: Origin's art style and crispness still impresses me every time I pop it in. Uncharted 3 was a gorgeous game, and any of the console exclusives are generally pretty high up there. Witcher 2 was great, imho. Not comparable to PC, but I think that's the general consensus anyway.

#44 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Rayman Origins.

#45 Posted by huntad (1935 posts) -

I think Uncharted looks nice, but I'd also say that given how much stuff is going on all at once, the Assassin's Creed games look pretty nice.

#46 Posted by Demoskinos (14817 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII it's one of the best looking games on consoles period. I'd say Crysis 2 is a looker too as far as straight up fidelity goes. And as long as you aren't comparing it to the PC version Witcher 2 is also a pretty good get. Oh and Forza Horizon. The cars are so damn sexy looking driving down the highway with the sun setting in the background. Absolutely stunning landscapes.

#47 Edited by ShockD (2401 posts) -

I'll also nominate Uncharted 2.

#48 Posted by MocBucket62 (1223 posts) -

I'll say Uncharted 3.

#49 Posted by squiDc00kiE (352 posts) -

Journey, Wipeout HD (to my knowledge one of the few 1080p 60fps games out there), and Uncharted 3. It doesnt hurt that those are all incredibly good games either.

#50 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

Gears of War 3 looks insane.