• 80 results
Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By Gruebacca

Poll Can you still play video games? (430 votes)

Nah, man. My week is ruined. 15%
Maybe tomorrow. 34%
Yes, it helps me cope. 51%

Man, what a fucking depressing day. I'm not old enough to drink, but I do have this shiny new expansion pack for Civ V that I'd like to play when it unlocks very soon. Many reviewers have talked about how this expansion pack eliminates the late-game tedium and makes it exciting to the finish, and that sounds cool.

I was thinking this morning about how a hypothetical Quick Look of this expansion pack would turn out. They'd talk about all the new features and show off how far the game had come since it came out three years ago. Ryan would be hosting the video and talking about how much he liked Civ V when it came out and how this dlc makes it even better.

Damn it. I can't even think about a video game without bringing him up. I bet Ryan would have liked this game. Now I'm bummed again. Is it even possible to play video games this week without a cloud of melancholy blurring the vision? When something terrible happens to you what is your reaction in terms of video game playing.

• 
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I just played a good hour of Saints Row The Third. It felt like the only logical thing to do.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By cornbredx

Ya.

It's very sad, but as someone wise once said 'this too shall pass.'

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was playing Animal Crossing when I heard. I just closed it and thought.

I tried not to play anything violent when I got home, and then some friends rustled me onto League.

After they left I got kinda uncomfortable playing some SC2, but I took a deep breath, saw the video of him freaking out and young Braid Muir, and knew he probably wouldn't want us to mope over him.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

What else can we do?

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sdharrison

It was surprisingly the only reasonable thing to do.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I kinda just sat in shock processing everything until I mustered the energy to buy some bourbon and pour it out in honor of Ryan before having some myself and attempt to process this all more.

I'll probably end up going to work and playing some Animal Crossing on the train ride to and from tomorrow, but I don't think I'll do anything heavy. For instance, I've been meaning to play 400 Days but I think that'll have to wait a few days now.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Niceanims

I will finish Saints Row 3 to-night.

Edit: I couldn't do it :( got caught up in grief and couldn't muster. Tonight, I will try again.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaggE

I'm about to try. Going to put on the new MBMBaM (edit: and We Hate Movies just put up an episode about The Running Man... if that's not ghost-Ryan's hand at work, I don't know what is), play something Ryan would approve of, and try to get my mind off of things for a while.

I was going to watch a couple episodes of Buffy, but I don't want to risk the next ep or two being the soulcrushers that the last one was. (this is my first time through the series, so I'm going in to each ep blind)

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

im rewatching the freedom stream right now, trying to get used to content without ryan.

i literally stopped working for the entire day after this news as it killed my mindset to work.

will definitely be buying saints row 4 now in tribute to ryan as that was the last game he was super jazzed about. (i have to imagine there will be some baggage when jeff writes that review also)

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mm-hmm. I think I'll go back to Saint's Row 3, for Ryan's sake. I remember the year that they fought for it for the GOTY discussion. Good times, mans.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Play Civ 5 FOR Ryan. That's what I'm going to do. He loved that game and I loved him and also that game.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Played like 8 hours of Bully today. Only thing that felt like the right thing to do today.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Yes.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kreeztoff

I've been playing XCOM Enemy Unknown on and off all day for Ryan.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I had a beer while driving around with a friend co-op in Saints Row dumping full auto out the windows. Seemed appropriate.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Games have always helped me cope.

They've helped me get my mind off things and simultaneously work through problems I may be having.

Somehow escaping into a virtual world makes me feel human again.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm just so super bummed we won't get to hear all his thoughts on the PS4 and Xbox One. And get to hear him rip to shreds all the shitty launch titles in only the way Ryan could do. And well... getting to hear him talk about anything again really. I loved all his weird stories about California extreme and old Arcade Cabinets. If I can be even a tiny fraction of the man Ryan was I'll consider my life a success. I'm going to go try to play some Saints Row 3 now try to take my mind off of stuff.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just played a good hour of Saints Row The Third. It felt like the only logical thing to do.

That is a good fucking idea. On it.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really enjoying playing the Witcher 2 earlier today (second playthrough) was having a blast actually. Paused it to get a drink, while i was getting ready to unpause it i figured i'd see if they posted "I love mondays" only to see Rories article about Ryan. It damn near floored me. Honestly at first i thought it was some sort of horrible joke.

Once i saw tons of other sites posting about it and realized that no one at GiantBomb would do a joke like this i was stunned. I tried playing more, but i couldn't.

Been waxing nostalgic watching old Ryan quicklooks most of the night.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

im rewatching the freedom stream right now, trying to get used to content without ryan.

i literally stopped working for the entire day after this news as it killed my mindset to work.

will definitely be buying saints row 4 now in tribute to ryan as that was the last game he was super jazzed about. (i have to imagine there will be some baggage when jeff writes that review also)

I wasn't interested before, but I'm in agreement with this notion. It just seems like the thing to do.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diggin back into the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run...

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

What better way to pay tribute to Ryan? It's pretty much video games.

That, or video game-based movies.

smokingdeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I'm playing some Path of Exile, and have some Ryan Quick Looks queued up for me to watch. Its like my own little memorial service for him, and quite honestly, playing video games has always been a way for me to cope, and its doing a good job right now.

And pizza. Some damn good pizza. Just like he would have wanted :,)

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, played a bit tonight, but paused the game feeling hollow. Keep coming back for the commiseration in these forums.

Still does not compute. Fuck.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not today no. I want to but I just can't.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been going back and forth between Hotline Miami on the Vita and the forums since I got home from work. This has pretty much consumed my entire day.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By MEATBALL

I put off Animal Crossing for most of the day, really didn't feel like it. Wound up deciding to pick it up and it helped a little.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By newmoneytrash
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

I don't know man, that's what Ive been thinking about. Everytime I play anything im gonna end up thinking about him. Giantbomb and video games are just deeply integrated for me. But i'm staying over with friends in hostel today, and we've always had a tradition of playing FIFA all through the night and yelling while playing the game. I think rather than a single player game, that might help.

@milkman said:

What else can we do?

Oh man that made me tear up again :(

SCOOTMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SCOOTMAN

It seems everything I play is in some sense influenced by Giant Bomb. Gonna be making my way through XCOM. No matter how sad we all feel, we gotta move forward and continue to do the things we love. Ryan Davis shall always be missed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I can't seem to no matter how much I want to. It just feels too exhausting.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan Davis spent his life playing video games.

Why not honor him by playing video games.

Persona 4 Golden here i go.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NegativeCero

Today has come and gone here on the East coast of the U.S. and I couldn't care less about playing games. I've chosen to spend my time reading everyone's blog posts instead. It's therapeutic in a way.

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By RafaelMei

I started playing Dust: An Elysian Tail, went to Aurora and found this guy:

No Caption Provided

And god damn it, it couldn't keep playing after that.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I tried playing some Tekken to take my mind off things and it didn't really work. Ended up losing round because I was too distracted. Just reminded me of the bombcrew trying to puzzle out the Tekken fiction.

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tryin to muster up some art but this along with the last month have been gut wrenching.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#37  Edited By Sin4profit

I fired up Saints Row the Third for an hour. It's been on my backlog for a long time and though it would be a good tribute to play a "dumb-fun" videogame. Mostly i've been watching all the tributes to Ryan.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DeathTrap

Played maybe 20-30 minutes of games, but not really able to get into them today. Maybe tomorrow - we'll see. Perhaps I'll pick up Deadly Premonition and play some of that.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By redcream

I tried to play for about an hour but I think I can't force myself to enjoy a game just yet. I'll probably take a nap after I post this. Half a day in and this whole tragedy is still very unreal.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played some Halo. It's my get my mind off of things game. It worked a bit and was kind of cathartic, but I still felt a dark cloud over my head. Saint's Row sounds like just the thing though. Good thinking.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#41  Edited By Lelcar
No Caption Provided

these are two 5-star reviewed games by Ryan Davis. I love you, Ryan. Such a sad, sad time.

CoconutBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bit of Fire Emblem after hearing the news, to try and get my mind off of it, but now I'm just sitting here in the middle of the night watching Ryan videos.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

i tried playing some Killzone 3 (my brother got it for me for my birthday), but all I could think of was Ryan saying, "You are totally in the Killzone now!" Damn it. Maybe tomorrow.

RareSpine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RareSpine

Not for most of today, but I know that Ryan wouldn't us to stop doing what we'd normally do over him. He'd want us to laugh and have fun.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What better tribute can I pay to Ryan Davis than to actually PLAY as Ryan Davis?

No Caption Provided

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not today but was thinking of reinstalling saint row the 3rd for ryan and having some crazy fun like he would want us to.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#47  Edited By TheMasterDS

Yes. I pressed on with the games I've been playing. Unfortunately the game I'm playing right now is Persona 3 which is All about death so that was a bit much. Hell, The point I was at in the game today was the part where Shinjiro died. So that was a really weird coincidence. I've been playing a month of it every day or two recently and the one day I only get a day of in game time done... It happens to be the in game day that spoiler happens and the real world day where Ryan's death was made public. What a day, huh? I also played a little Rogue Legacy and some stuff on my iPhone while rewatching some stuff.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Played some Pokemon HeartGold today.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got like halfway through a Civ 5: BNW match as Poland, led by none other than Ryan T. Davis.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fe62ea2c4ad
deactivated-59fe62ea2c4ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've been playing saints row 3 pretty much all day...it's helped ease the pain.