Confusion at so many "GOTD" thread's

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By crusnchill

So I've browsed the forum's a bit more frequently recently, and have come to the conclusion that some people don't get when a decade finnish's and a new one begin's. And that Saying what your GOTD(Game of the Decade) is, is premature, and really dumb. 

What do you guy's think? Also, for a laugh, in your oppinion when do you guy's believe a decade finnish's? example: 2009 or 2010? 

I mean, mathematicians allway's count 0 as the first number. But the general public start from 1. 
Which is right in this unimportant case? lol.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Rayfield
@crusnchill said:
"

when a decade finnish's  

and really dumn. 

"

*raises eyebrow*
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

I'm in the minority thinking the decade ends next year. 2001-2010, 10 years. 2011-2020, another years! Oh my.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jmrwacko

Game of the Decade IS Conker's Bad Fur Day. My opinion is absolute.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By DanielJW

I'm looking forward to game of the century.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

I don't have a clue what your saying, but I assume you mean that the decade ends at the end of 2010?

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crusnchill
@Rayfield said:
"@crusnchill said:
"

when a decade finnish's  

and really dumn. 

"
*raises eyebrow* "

Um...What?
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rayfield
@crusnchill said:
"@Rayfield said:
"@crusnchill said:
"

when a decade finnish's  

and really dumn. 

"
*raises eyebrow* "
Um...What? "

*raises second eyebrow*
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crusnchill

LOOK! Contribute or fuck off! 

I have no clue what you're getting at. I mean you copied and pasted something I said and helped me notice that I'd typoed. Other than that, you haven't helped make this a fun thread. only demonstrated your annoying way's. 

If this's not what you intended, then please help me understand.
AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AURON570

This decade will finish on the exact indivisible moment before the last day of December 2009 turns into the first day of January 2010.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By freezerr
@EpicSteve said:
" I'm in the minority thinking the decade ends next year. 2000-2010, 10 years. 2011-2020, another years! Oh my. "
 '00-'10 is 10 years?
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rayfield

Calm down dude, I was just amazed at your awful spelling. I have no real opinion on the whole 09/10 thing. 

*raises third eyebrow*
Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By raccoonusdoodus

decade = 10 years.
1. 2000
2. 2001
3. 2002
4. 2003
5. 2004
6. 2005
7. 2006
8. 2007
9. 2008
10. 2009

Done.

Just like every other decade. When were the sixties? That was a decade. 60-69. Seventie's? 70-79. And so on. 2009 is the end of the decade.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MKHavoc

Why would anyone think this decade ends next year?  2000-2009 is ten years.  2000-2010 would be eleven years.  So by definition the first one is right.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By ArcBorealis

Since 0 is a number, 0 through 9 is ten years.

0, 1, 2, 3 ,4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.  
And since there are 10 years in a decade, making 2010 the end of the decade would be incorrect, because 2010 would add to that total as 11 years. 2000 was the start of this decade, and 2010 will be the start of the next.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crusnchill
@CL60:
Maybe I didn't word this properly. But yeah you got the gist of the crux. 
Some people have been assuming that a century end's on the ninth year and the next one start's on the tenth year. 
It just seem's strange...
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Dalai

Technically any 10 year interval is considered a decade. 1996-2005 would be a decade for example. That's what Wikipedia says. 

And the Game of the Decade is Worms Armageddon Decade because it's in the name.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Luke
@DanielJW said:

" I'm looking forward to game of the century. "

Let me just bookmark this thread so I can come back to it December 31, 2099.   
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crusnchill
@Rayfield:
1stly: Lol. "Third eyebrow". Quite clever. 

2ndly: Wow! That's kind of sad. I'm actually a good speller, and additionally I can string a good grammatical sentance together. 

3rdly: If you seriously have that much time on your hand's that you go around the forum's and correct people on their typoes, not spelling error's. Then I feel kind of bad for you...

4thly: The fact that you zeroed in on something as trivial as a typo and decided to be an idiot about it, might tell you something about yourself that didn't already know.
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By emkeighcameron

You fools. 

A decade is a term in electrical engineering and electronics referring to some bullshit about the number of kT terms spanned by a system, or something like that, I don't know, I'm not a doctor.  If YOU want to bust out the stupid Fermi equations, go ahead, you NERDS.

No Caption Provided

It's also a fucking Beanie Baby.

No Caption Provided

And some decades are longer than others.

No Caption Provided
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crusnchill
@MKHavoc:
Why do most normal people start counting from 1 instead of 0 then? 

Seinfeld made a joke once that everybody celebrated the new millenium a year early. 
I mean 100 years start at the first year. Year 1. 
And end's at year 100. 
So a decade, this decade, start's at 2001 and finnish's at 2010.  

Do you see what I'm saying? 

Also, while we're on this confusing subject. Why do some people think that sunday is last day of the week or first day of the week? ;-p 

Btw: To anyone who hasn't clued in. This's more of a theological and sattircal thread, lol. I mainly wanted to figure out why everyone think's 2000 is the start year and yet they contradict themselves by counting upward's from 1 instead of 0. lol.
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By emkeighcameron
@crusnchill said:
" @MKHavoc: Why do most normal people start counting from 1 instead of 0 then?  Seinfeld made a joke once that everybody celebrated the new millenium a year early. I mean 100 years start at the first year. Year 1. And end's at year 100.  Do you see what I'm saying? "
People are stupid. Count from the 0 year up to the 9 year. Done. Problem solved. Next question.
happyfatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By happyfatman

2000 is the start of the decade, not 2001.  It's different when you're counting years as opposed to counting physical objects.  When you're counting years, the "0" year actually counts for something in the timeline, whereas when you're counting physical objects, zero isn't associated with any physical object you are counting, so it is merely skipped.  But if you want, you can say "zero" every time you begin to count something, if that would help things make sense.  It's like  @RaccoonusDoodus said:

"decade = 10 years.   1. 2000    2. 2001 3. 2002 4. 2003 5. 2004 6. 2005 7. 2006 8. 2007 9. 2008 10. 2009  Done.  Just like every other decade. When were the sixties? That was a decade. 60-69. Seventies? 70-79. And so on. 2009 is the end of the decade." 

EDIT: Just because I want to:  I'd have to say my game of the decade would be a toss-up between Metroid Prime and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rayfield
@crusnchill said:
"@Rayfield:
1stly: Lol. "Third eyebrow". Quite clever. 

2ndly: Wow! That's kind of sad. I'm actually a good speller, and additionally I can string a good grammatical sentance together. 

3rdly: If you seriously have that much time on your hand's that you go around the forum's and correct people on their typoes, not spelling error's. Then I feel kind of bad for you... 4thly: The fact that you zeroed in on something as trivial as a typo and decided to be an idiot about it, might tell you something about yourself that didn't already know. "

ALL FORUMS ON THE INTERNET WILL BOW BENEATH MY ALL-SEEING EYE! MISSPELL YOUR TEXT AT YOUR OWN PERIL MORTALS! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Captain_Insano
@emkeighcameron said:

" You fools. 

A decade is a term in electrical engineering and electronics referring to some bullshit about the number of kT terms spanned by a system, or something like that, I don't know, I'm not a doctor.  If YOU want to bust out the stupid Fermi equations, go ahead, you NERDS.

No Caption Provided

It's also a fucking Beanie Baby.

No Caption Provided

And some decades are longer than others.

No Caption Provided
"
I wonder how many people on here will get that third reference but that is a great photo. This decade was pretty long for 7 years as well...
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jkz

A decade is 10 years. Since you need to count 2000 as a year, it ends at 2009. The next decade is 2010-2019 then 2020-2029 

Math!

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Lies

You know what, you're right. 1980 WAS the last year of the 70's.

:|

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crusnchill

I'll repeat: "Btw: To anyone who hasn't clued in yet. This's more of a theological and sattirical thread, lol. I mainly wanted to figure out why everyone think's 2000 is the start year and yet they contradict themselves by counting upward's from 1 instead of 0. lol."  

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy
@crusnchill: Dude, you have to realize that there was such thing as a "Year Zero". I explained this all in my thread about Game of the Decade, but since you probably didn't read it, here's why: 

After 1 B.C. and before 1 A.D., there had to be something. That year was known as Year Zero. So, this was when the new yearly system came into place, counting up instead of down. Because this was the starting date, it is when we usually base the decades from... so, Year Zero - 9, 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, etc. And this keeps going. Also, when you think about milleniums, when did we celebrate the new millenium? 2000, right? That's because we're starting a new millenium from scratch, just as we are starting another decade. Here is some more info on Year Zero for you: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_zero 

The reason why we don't say 0 when we count is because there is nothing there, it's kind of like never counting. So, right now as I'm writing this and not counting, I'm counting to 0. Because I'm not counting. You can't count to nothing. But a year is different because we consider the years 0,1000, 2000  as years. It's kind of like adding 0 to 0. You then can't add, because there is nothing to add.
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crusnchill

@xyzygy:  People seem to misunderstand me.  
I get why and when the decade start's... 

I just find the confusion amusing lol.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy
@crusnchill: Oh sorry, I guess I did misunderstand you!
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Rayfield said:

" @crusnchill said:

"

when a decade finnish's  

and really dumn. 

"
*raises eyebrow* "
I love irony.

I would have to say that  end of the decade would be end of 2009 because the next decade starts in 2010.