• 77 results
faxon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By faxon

23 living in the uk here. before i started my masters course i had a job at a call centre where i got £1500 a month.

the idea of getting 1000 a week is .... unheard of in my head. i have yet to experience any wealth of money so owning either of these consoles is pretty much out of the question

though to be honest if i could afford it, right now id go out and buy a wii u, 3ds, pre order a ps4 and an xbox one right now. if you can afford it and its your hobby why on earth not?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By oraknabo

@kristov_romanov: You might want to check your definition of insane. It can apply to a lot more than violent acts. When I say buying more than $1000 in electronics you know basically nothing about and won't even see for almost 6 months is completely insane I mean that anyone doing that is lacking in sanity. If you still have a problem with the word sanity in that context, replace it with "sense".

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By kristov_romanov

@oraknabo: "If you do this you are either too rich for your own good or mentally challenged."

Nope, still too melodramatic for a console.

Edit: or 2

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

$1000 a week? That's nothing where I live.

I don't think the op is moasting. It's common for people to buy a lot of stuff due to general excitement over said stuff, and then they realize later what a crazy thing they've done.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can't bring myself to pre-order. The thrill of new consoles is actually finding one for sale in a store. I don't know why, but I like doing it that way.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Scrawnto

@jbird said:

@dunster: this thread is so weird to read as an english duder, over here if you are on 52k a year you are doing really really well. That is a super high salary! However i did the maths and realised that The english equivilent of a 52k dollar salary is £33,000, and i dunno what its like where you live but while that isnt a huge amount in the grand scheme of things there are hundreds of thousands of people who would dream of earning that amount and i wouldnt be so presumptuous as to laugh at them.

When I was in college, I had maybe $1000 in spending money each year, and most of that came from my very generous grandparents at holidays. All the rest of my money went to food or rent. Before college I had way less than that, maybe $200 in spending money over a year, again mostly from grandparents at the holidays. I did not come from a wealthy background, and I didn't have a job or an allowance.

Now, I'm a software developer, and I probably make an amount of money similar to the OP. A couple weeks ago, I dropped $1800 on a decent violin, something I've wanted to do for years and years, but which was always out of reach.

I've been on both sides of the vast divide between the upper-middle and working classes, and it feels very strange for me to be where I am. I just hope I don't lose that perspective over the years.

I can absolutely see how $52k a year would be a huge amount of money to a lot of people. When I was applying for jobs after graduating, I felt really presumptuous putting $68k down as my "preferred salary". It turned out I was vastly underselling myself, as I found when I was offered my current position, but at the time even $60k sounded like so much money. I wouldn't laugh at those people. Heck, my sisters still are those people.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I guess my topic was a little misleading. I should have said a little less than 4 days pay instead of a weeks pay. Oh well.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By awesomeusername

@devilzrule27: I didn't really make my point clear but I know it's possible but I live in the Bronx (Not the South part) so most people don't make half that in a week.

@bocam I don't live in the city, city. I live in the top of the Bronx, but that still counts as the city. Right? I don't know. Manhattan is pretty much the rich part of NY.

@joshwent Well they don't. I know someone who doesn't make that much a week. But this person doesn't own a pot farm so it depends I guess.

@humanity Look at what I said to bocam.^^

@ripelivejam Yupp, we're poor. #DealWithIt

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess my topic was a little misleading. I should have said a little less than 4 days pay instead of a weeks pay. Oh well.

Moaster

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Butler

Hey guys....

"You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

I wanna know about the real yous. ^^

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By jiggajoe14
Loading Video...

Where OP spends his weekends

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm a soldier and in a week, I'd be able to afford the PS4 before sales tax but that's it.

Luckily I get all-expenses-paid trips to exotic eastern locales every 2-3 years to make up for the crummy pay.

had a laugh at that,

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bet I can have way more fun without money than the OP can with all his money doubled.

= |

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#64  Edited By Raven10

This whole thread is silly. Making $60k a year is not a massive amount. That barely puts you in the middle class. The poverty line is somewhere around $30k for a family of four. For those of you who are young and don't have a family, $60k may seem like a ton of money, but when you have a wife and a couple of kids to take care of, $60k will barely get you through the month depending on where you live. If you have a kid in private school of college then you will need more than $1000 a week to pay for that. What might seem like a lot to a single college student is barely making ends meat for a man with a decent sized family. I don't know what this dude's situation is like, but the middle class ends at well over double what this guy makes per year for a single person. For a family it is a good four or five times what he makes. The "one percent" makes $1000 in a couple minutes, not a week.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

@shadowskill11: poor you...i have a wife, 3 kids, a mortgage, and a car we're still paying on until september. I wish i was in a position to be able to buy new consoles but i'm not. Furthermore, if i spent money that way, my wife would embargo such wonderful things that i would curse the day i first started to game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By ShaggE

Damn E3, I just spent about 30 minutes pay FROM WORKING AT HOME WWW.NOTASCAM.ORG preordering every console and game that made an appearance at E3.:(

FML, I hate having a moderate amount of income. :(:(

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Man. I would read a whole thread about what you duders make. It sounds like I need to fucking move.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@chavtheworld said:

@shadowskill11: Why dump that much money now? Rather than, you know, near when the stuff actually might come out?

Also, man it must suck in America where they take the full asking price for a pre-order... Imagine all the interest they make off of that. Retailers must love that. Hooray for only paying for stuff once it's shipped.

That's not how it works. Most places don't require any money for a pre-order, and the ones that do never require the full amount.

EDIT- I guess by most places I mean Amazon.

I guess I misunderstood what the OP said when he meant "spent" then. Usually implies past tense, rather than future.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about you guys in america but I can earn up to $360 in a weekend as a student doing basic surgery assistance. This guy is nothing :P

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jbird said:

@dunster: this thread is so weird to read as an english duder, over here if you are on 52k a year you are doing really really well. That is a super high salary! However i did the maths and realised that The english equivilent of a 52k dollar salary is £33,000, and i dunno what its like where you live but while that isnt a huge amount in the grand scheme of things there are hundreds of thousands of people who would dream of earning that amount and i wouldnt be so presumptuous as to laugh at them.

I would sell my damn soul for a £33k a year job once I graduate university. For me to get a PS4 alone I'm probably going to have to eat shittier food for a while and hope that I can add in Christmas money.

Not that it isn't worth it. E3's made everything exciting again.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

This whole thread is silly. Making $60k a year is not a massive amount. That barely puts you in the middle class. The poverty line is somewhere around $30k for a family of four. For those of you who are young and don't have a family, $60k may seem like a ton of money, but when you have a wife and a couple of kids to take care of, $60k will barely get you through the month depending on where you live. If you have a kid in private school of college then you will need more than $1000 a week to pay for that. What might seem like a lot to a single college student is barely making ends meat for a man with a decent sized family. I don't know what this dude's situation is like, but the middle class ends at well over double what this guy makes per year for a single person. For a family it is a good four or five times what he makes. The "one percent" makes $1000 in a couple minutes, not a week.

$65k. According to wikipedia $62.5k is the point of entry to be considered upper middle class in America. I don't have a housewife and kid money disposal so I'm doing okay and I'm still young and have no where to go but up.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto: You just got your violin? Hasn't it been over a year where you had that on the list of your next purchases when you made that one thread? Congrats nonetheless.

For the people saying $52K/year is a lot, you are correct depending on the circumstances. $52K as a W2 job with no family is quite good. Start adding a spouse that has no income or dropping kids into that and you have no money. Make that a $52K/year as a 1099 worker and get ready to realize you only make about $28K/year after taxes. I remember a co-worker paying $1,200 a month just for health insurance for his family of 4. On top of another $1,000 coming out each check due to taxes, it is amazing how little some people actually clear each check even though they make a good amount of money.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tycobb said:

@scrawnto: You just got your violin? Hasn't it been over a year where you had that on the list of your next purchases when you made that one thread? Congrats nonetheless.

Wow, you remember that? That was around nine months ago after I got my first raise. Yeah, I actually just got around to getting furniture and a TV for my living room about a month ago, too. It turns out I'm pretty good at not spending my money. The violin was the last thing off that list that I hadn't gotten yet.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great troll thread.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, you didn't pay anything right now as Amazon only charges when an item ships.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto said:

@tycobb said:

It turns out I'm pretty good at not spending my money.

If I was Rogue, I would hunt you down and steal your mutant power. Eh, I don't buy a whole lot of stuff, but when I do, I buy high quality stuff which just ends up making me mad when I realize how little I use it 6 months afterwards. Oh well.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Freshbandito

@raven10 said:

$65k. According to wikipedia $62.5k is the point of entry to be considered upper middle class in America. I don't have a housewife and kid money disposal so I'm doing okay and I'm still young and have no where to go but up.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to do with this thread, you earn the normal wage a skilled worker makes and it's great that you're proud of that but are you really trying to use an internet forum to say "Hey guys, I earn the average wage of someone who works a skilled trade" or am I misjudging you checking wikipedia to see if you're part of the middle class? Either way, welcome to the middle class I guess should we all flash pictures of our savings accounts and pay slips now?

Try to think about how ridiculous this thread will look if someone shows it to you a couple of years down the line, be proud of what you've achieved whether it's a minimum wage 30k a year or 6 figure and more salaries just don't idly boast, it makes you look like you don't understand the value of your money.