Danny O'Dwyer is moving to Sanny Franny!

• 112 results
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

After Bioforge and the rest of Danny's work, I think he's one of the only guys who could fit naturally into Giantbomb. At the very least we might see him pop in

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While I wouldn't say Gamespot is filled with likeable people I think you guys are being a bit too harsh. Kevin VanOrd, Chris Watters and Ryan McDonald are all pretty decent when they can do their own thing. Even Shaun McInnis and Peter Brown has their bright moments.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

A fork?

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#54 dannyodwyer  Staff

@gaspower said:

I'm cc'ing @dannyodwyer so he can tell us himself when he checks back in GB. ;)

This thread is weird. This week has been weird.

Thanks for the kind words and honest appraisals everyone. I've been looking to get to the San Francisco office from day one if I'm honest, so this week has been a massive relief more than anything else. The process has taken about a year - and most of the GS/GB folks knew about it months and months ago. I was aiming to come over in August but it just took a little longer than expected. VISAS ARE COMPLICATED!

So this was all my decision, and I wouldn't be making the switch if I didn't know that I'd be able to contribute to GameSpot in the ways I want to - working with our team in the US to make better shows and features. It's really humbling to read the stuff in this thread - but I don't want to be seen as the odd-one-out in our company. That's why I've always wanted to come over. To help develop the ideas that the folks in the US have, and to make more shit that people care about. Maybe stuff people don't "expect" from GameSpot anymore.

So I'm sure I'll have my hands plenty full with my work at GS, but for sure I'm never gonna turn down a place on the couch if it's going. It's a damn comfortable couch.

But yea, moving in 2 weeks. I spent a month there back in May, but what should I know as a fully-indoctrinated, social security owning Americanian?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By GaspoweR

But yea, moving in 2 weeks. I spent a month there back in May, but what should I know as a fully-indoctrinated, social security owning Americanian?

Be more like Gary Whitta?

No Caption Provided
shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: agree with this. gamespot uk is pretty great, not giantbomb great but pretty damn good. Oh, and kevin from the us team is ok too, he just seems really genuine tho not very entertaining.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By RazielCuts

Don't you mean San Fanny ? 'From the fine makers of...'

Loading Video...

@dannyodwyer: Congrats, fella. I remember a young 'Danny O'Dwyer' sending in questions to On the Spot and making videos on Gamespot and now look at ya, living the dream. The landscape may have changed at Gamespot US from what it was back then but I know you'll be able to give it the kick it needs with your great humour and video content. Good luck with things.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By Humanity

@dannyodwyer: Don't put mayonnaise on fries. When ordering a tea at Dunkin Donuts expect to receive coffee instead. Women will flock to your accent..damn you O'Dwyer.. Never ask Vinny if he owns white shirts.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Guy has great chemistry with the Giant Bomb crew, would be nice to see him make more appearances in stuff.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb desperately need another person in the office and Danny would be perfect. It probably won't happen, but I would be all for it.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@walkerd said:

I'm astonished to find out I'm not the only person who says Sanny Franny.

As someone who lives in San Francisco, I can tell you that I've never seen or heard "Sanny Franny" before. In fact, I think if you did say that out loud around here, you may get punched in the face.

PSA for visitors: It's either San Francisco or The City. Not SF, Frisco, San Fran, or any other variation!

I've never seen the term Sanny Franny before but I already love it because I love saying things like Frisco, The 'Sco and San Fran just to annoy people that are way too into being from SF. Just love it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@chilibean_3: Can I ask you what you did specifically when replying to that post? Did you just hit quote and then type your reply and submit? For some reason I got an email notification about your reply, I haven't seen one of those in months.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By ShaggE

Ohhh Danny booooy

The Bomb, the Bomb is caaaalling

From plane to coooouch

Come down and join the siiiite

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

One step closer to having Danny appear in some Giant Bomb content!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

@kishinfoulux said:

I don't get the love for this guy at all. Just because he stands out at GameSpot doesn't really say much. That place is devoid of likeable personalities.

So...you're...saying...that since he stands out in a place devoid of likeable personalities...he is likeable? No offense, you can dislike whomever, but some people's criteria for enjoying personalities is pretty simple.

No I'm saying that's not much of an accomplishment. Hell I could go stand out amongst the Gamespot crew.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Klei

@gaspower said:

I'm cc'ing @dannyodwyer so he can tell us himself when he checks back in GB. ;)

This thread is weird. This week has been weird.

Thanks for the kind words and honest appraisals everyone. I've been looking to get to the San Francisco office from day one if I'm honest, so this week has been a massive relief more than anything else. The process has taken about a year - and most of the GS/GB folks knew about it months and months ago. I was aiming to come over in August but it just took a little longer than expected. VISAS ARE COMPLICATED!

So this was all my decision, and I wouldn't be making the switch if I didn't know that I'd be able to contribute to GameSpot in the ways I want to - working with our team in the US to make better shows and features. It's really humbling to read the stuff in this thread - but I don't want to be seen as the odd-one-out in our company. That's why I've always wanted to come over. To help develop the ideas that the folks in the US have, and to make more shit that people care about. Maybe stuff people don't "expect" from GameSpot anymore.

So I'm sure I'll have my hands plenty full with my work at GS, but for sure I'm never gonna turn down a place on the couch if it's going. It's a damn comfortable couch.

You're like, the sole reason I even visit GameSpot nowadays, and I've been a member of that site since 2001. Especially due to your '' the point '' show, although I'd lie if I didn't admit I really *really* miss Escape from Mount Stupid.

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dannyodwyer  Staff

@wjb said:

@kishinfoulux said:

I don't get the love for this guy at all. Just because he stands out at GameSpot doesn't really say much. That place is devoid of likeable personalities.

So...you're...saying...that since he stands out in a place devoid of likeable personalities...he is likeable? No offense, you can dislike whomever, but some people's criteria for enjoying personalities is pretty simple.

No I'm saying that's not much of an accomplishment. Hell I could go stand out amongst the Gamespot crew.

Mate, totally. The only reason I do this Irish accent is to stand out. I'm from fucking Jamaica.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux said:

@wjb said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Sure thing bro, we need armchair personalities in the videogame business. Pretty pathetic stab at Gamespot employees and hosts that put work into their streams.

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 dannyodwyer  Staff

Hey don't get me wrong, I trust negative criticism. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are plenty out there who's personality I don't gell with. Pewdiepie does my head in but millions of people watch him go mental every day. I'm sure it's the same with all of us at GS. I think matching the right people to the right format is important. Look at Giant Bomb, the guys have so much off-the-cuff knowledge that a heavily scripted or tightly formatted show wouldn't suit as well. It's all about putting your best foot forward on video.

When people say they "don't like your personality" it's not a personal jab, it's a fair critisism of your ability at the craft. I welcome it, it's better than people blowing smoke up your arse.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be cool if Danny joined Giantbomb! Wonder if he a cable for the Bridge Constructor constructed bridge for GB and GS.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dannyodwyer: Do you have living arrangements made? Recently there was a thread about how expensive downtown San Francisco is, and Jeff commutes like 80 miles to work or something like that. Can you drive with a British drivers license in the US? Oh man, soon you get to experience the joy of automatic transmission, no more stone ages for Danny!

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 dannyodwyer  Staff

@humanity said:

@dannyodwyer: Do you have living arrangements made? Recently there was a thread about how expensive downtown San Francisco is, and Jeff commutes like 80 miles to work or something like that. Can you drive with a British drivers license in the US? Oh man, soon you get to experience the joy of automatic transmission, no more stone ages for Danny!

I was rental-hunting when I was over in May, but I've got six weeks in a paid-for apartment while I try and find a place. I was in Japantown when I was over before, but yea San Francisco is bloody expensive. Then again, London is the most expensive city to rent in Europe so I'm used to it. Plus, the general cost of living in the US is much less than over here.

Right now my issue is whether I want to live in The City for the social aspects and stuff. Or if I go to the East Bay and get a place for cheaper, and actually have a parking space. I did drive in Ireland for 4 years, but long story short I don't have a valid licence for the US so I'm gonna grab one of those really sharping. I think I'd like the cycle/drive to work to be honest. 4 years of tubes and London buses is enough for anybody.

But fuck that, auto-gears is for video games only.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dannyodwyer: Well @rorie recently mentioned the 6th floor showers are really great!

Also c'mon, what reasonable person would want to continuously jerk-off their cars knob while they drive? Not even my crazy stalker ex was that dedicated!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love for him to turn up in more videos on the site, maybe even a bombcast too! He seems to be all over GS these days, making most of the most promoted video content over there, so I'm not at all surprised he's moving to the US to help out. Maybe he can give some tips to the US GS guys on how to act natural in front of the camera? Just look at Jeff, Vinny and Brad in the beginning compared to now, night and day.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add my voice to the "bomb-draft Danny" chorus. Really enjoyed his appearance on the Bioforge stream. Maybe jump in on a couple Quick Looks, drive em around a bit, see how they feel?

Also, welcome!

Loading Video...

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd be far more excited if Danny Dyer was moving to San Francisco and was joining the GB crew.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By hatking

I'm a non-violent person. But I'm pretty sure if somebody said "sanny franny" to me in person, I'd just instinctively punch them in the mouth. And, you know? I think they'd thank me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@geekdown said:

Giant Bomb desperately need another person in the office and Danny would be perfect. It probably won't happen, but I would be all for it.

Especially now that Brad is leaving.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By planetfunksquad

Mate, totally. The only reason I do this Irish accent is to stand out. I'm from fucking Jamaica.

I knew it. You're not drunk enough to be an irish man.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:

@geekdown said:

Especially now that Brad is leaving.

OH NOT THIS AGAIN...

Only this time...IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING!!!

Loading Video...
dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 dannyodwyer  Staff

@gunstarred said:

I'd be far more excited if Danny Dyer was moving to San Francisco and was joining the GB crew.

Amen

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#83  Edited By Yummylee
@gunstarred said:

''you mug''... Oh, the giggles <3

@dannyodwyer: Real talk - I would constantly keep getting yours and Danny Dyer's names mixed up, and I feel that I apologise thusly.

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By dannyodwyer  Staff

@dannyodwyer: Real talk - I would constantly keep getting yours and Danny Dyer's names mixed up, and I feel that I apologise thusly.

Every few months I get a random tweet from somebody telling me I was "shit in that movie I watched last night".

Never fails to make me laugh.

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 dannyodwyer  Staff

@froesti: I know this is going to sound like I'm buttering you up, but Franziskaner is literally my favourite beer in the world. I was in Munich last year and couldn't believe how goddamn cheap it is there. I barely left.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#87  Edited By Slag

"Sanny Franny" WTF is that noise OP?

First off Welcome to America. Hope you enjoy your stay. Off the top of my head relevant tips, 95% of which I'm sure already know, but in case you don't....

• As a H-1B Visa holder you don't have social security until you've been here 10 years. Not that it matters, social security is underfunded enough that the program may not even exist when it comes time for you to actually use it.
  • Many Americans reaaaaallly like Irish accents, so you are in luck there. Expect hidden social benefits and maybe some uncomfortable fascination in social settings.
  • If you like it here, be aware in this day and age due to 9-11 getting a Green Card can take forever and a day. Its not unusual for a H-1B Visa to run out before you get approved. USCIS doesn't care about any mitigating circumstances you may have, they are buried in bureaucracy. So the sooner you know you want to apply (if you ever do) for citizenship or permanent residency the better.
  • Of course there's the obvious spelling differences in words, driving on the right side of the road, listing month before day in calendar dates (August 9th 2013 is 8/9/2013 not 9/8/2013) , Fahrenheit instead of Celsius and we of course barely use the metric system.
  • Our electrical outlets run at much lower voltage than yours (120v, 60 HZ vs. 230v, 50 HZ), you may need converters to charge your electronics etc.
  • San Francisco is considered one of the very most European like cities in the US in terms of urban walkability. Nearly everywhere else in America (outside of New York) you will need to have a car to have any sort of reliable transportation and social life. Might not be a bad investment if you can swing it. Fuel prices are much lower here than in Europe.
  • Hitchhiking is looked down upon here and generally viewed with suspicion.
  • Hostels while growing in number, are relatively rare and are of a much lower quality compared to what you,might be used to. Motels and Hotels are where the majority of American travelers stays.
  • Hopefully Gamespot provides your health insurance, because buying your own right now is entirely in flux. If you want health care, you need health insurance.
  • Bay Area urban rental prices are skyrocketing like the Dotcom boom around 2000 with no sign of slowing down, odds are very strong you may have to live outside the City.
  • Asian and Mexican food are fantastic in San Francisco. Definitely take advantage
  • There's really at least two different Americas. The cities, which are generally diverse and liberal and the countryside which is relatively homogenously white and conservative. Much of the culture and political clashes in this country are centered around that divide.
  • America is really big probably compared to what you are used to, cross country trains are not affordable or fast. If you want to travel quickly in the US, look at airplanes instead.
  • If you have vacations consider utilizing our great National Park system. Natural Wonders like the Grand Canyon always seem to big hits with newcomers and have no real analogue in Europe.
  • For as much as we complain and appear to be self centered at times, Americans are generally friendly, optimistic and positive people. We like underdogs, we like success stories. We tend to take them at face value. We want to believe.
  • That being said America is super diverse, and we really aren't one anything. There is no unifying culture here and the amount of cultural diversity can be overwhelming if you aren't used to it.
  • Americans are generally indifferent and ignorant of any history outside of our own. We're generally forward looking.
  • Make sure to tip at restaurants. Servers in America have a much lower minimum wage based on the assumption that the tip is their salary. Standard service these days is roughly 18%. Used to be 15, many people think it's now 20. I usually pay 18 and most seem pretty happy with that.
  • We like guns. Probably won't see too many in the City, but you might if you live outside it.
  • Homeless dudes in the City love to "valet" parking spots. If you don't "tip" them if they usher you into one, expect to have your window popped out (and your stereo gone) when you return. There is a severe parking shortage in the City in general, if you do drive having to preplan your parking.
  • Muni is pretty reliable, Caltrain seems to be prone to the occasional strike.
  • The Alcatraz tour is pretty nuts, definitely worth doing at least once.
  • We don't like your football much but are crazy about our Football. Much social activity in the Fall often involves them in some fashion.
  • American fashion or lack there of is probably a bit different than you might used to. Been a while since I've been to Europe, but my impression was there is more varied color in our fashion than yours. A lot less blacks and browns, more reds, blues, greens etc. We also tend to dress down more often. The Bay area has the most relaxed business attire of anywhere in America. Washington DC might have the most strict.
  • Never call San Francisco by any pet name other than "the city" or its' proper name.
  • San Francisco is deceptively cold compared to the rest of the Bay area due to the Fog, October is generally one of the nicer months weather wise. If you live outside of The City you will likley notice a stark contrast in temperatures in the commute.
  • Earthquakes ain't no joke near the San Andreas Fault. It's been a long time since the last major one (1989) and the so called "Big One" is overdue. There is 10%+ chance of Magnitude 9 or greater in the next 50 years (and nearly 1 in 3 of a magnitude 8 or higher). While I wouldn't worry too much about it, I would recommend learning how to prepare for one and not blowing off work drills etc.
  • Don't wear opposing team gear to an Oakland Raiders game if you value your personal well being. And especially do not wear Los Angeles Dodgers gear to a San Francisco Giants game. That being said those are pretty fun places to watch games otherwise.
  • Garlic Fries are alright.
  • Slag is not a derogatory term for women here, but a term for a waste product produced by smelting ore or a Dinobot Transformer.

How's that? Hope you like it here!

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Loading Video...

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 dannyodwyer  Staff
  • Slag is not a derogatory term for women here, but a term for a waste product produced by smelting ore or a Dinobot Transformer.

So you're telling me I can call women slags there? It truly is the land of the free...

Amazing list mate, thanks for taking the time - much appreciated. I'd absolutely no idea about the valet / hitchhiking. I'm actually on an L1-B (I was originally going to be bringing a wife - actually the reason this took as long as it did) but I'm sure a lot of that stuff still applies. 18% tips should be fun - I still get a kick out of tipping at bars. And I found your assessment of Americans really interesting. I've always found it funny how the median knowledge of global history is much lower than what we find in Europe. The idea that you're "future facing" makes complete sense actually. And the weird thing is when I was in San Francisco back in May I found the cheeriness and openness of people to be much more like what I was used to back home. Folks in Ireland will talk the ear off of you even if they don't know you from Adam. Whereas Londoners are quite reserved until beer in involved. I loved my time here, but I'm looking forward to the change in culture more than anything else. Thanks again duder.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you're telling me I can call women slags there? It truly is the land of the free...

Amazing list mate, thanks for taking the time - much appreciated. I'd absolutely no idea about the valet / hitchhiking. I'm actually on an L1-B (I was originally going to be bringing a wife - actually the reason this took as long as it did) but I'm sure a lot of that stuff still applies. 18% tips should be fun - I still get a kick out of tipping at bars. And I found your assessment of Americans really interesting. I've always found it funny how the median knowledge of global history is much lower than what we find in Europe. The idea that you're "future facing" makes complete sense actually. And the weird thing is when I was in San Francisco back in May I found the cheeriness and openness of people to be much more like what I was used to back home. Folks in Ireland will talk the ear off of you even if they don't know you from Adam. Whereas Londoners are quite reserved until beer in involved. I loved my time here, but I'm looking forward to the change in culture more than anything else. Thanks again duder.

I think a lot of the reason why the avarage American is percieved as knowing less about other countries as Europeans is 1) America is so diverse both in terms of culture and geography that you don't really "need" to travel outside the country, and 2) America has been the world's superpower for over a generation now, and it's only natural that people living there becomes a bit less interested in the rest of the world.

Many take Americans' limited interest in the world as a sign of ignorance, but I'd argue that it's perfectly natural, given those two points. I don't really agree that it's because Americans are more "future facing" than others.

Anyways, good luck in SF, Danny. Hope to see you in as much GB content as possible!

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I love Danny and the GB crew has grown smaller sadly in recent, to instantly think of Danny as a GB hire is a little weird. Drew,Alexis and Rorie are filling out the dynamics nicely and helping keep GB loud.

However if they gregariously steal danny for many live shows I would be down for that.

Also I used the world Gregariously without knowing the true meaning and found out its the most perfect word for that sentence.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ole Frisco City.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Humanity

For everyone's needs I've created this static @dannyodwyer Tracker!

No Caption Provided

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Mister_V

@humanity: last time I checked the Gamespot UK offices where not in Birmingham or Inverness :p

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v said:

@humanity: last time I checked the Gamespot UK offices where not in Birmingham or Inverness :p

Correct, but the Birmingham international airport is!

Robitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@humanity said:

@dannyodwyer: Don't put mayonnaise on fries.

Disregard this heathenous deception. Mayonnaise with fries esta muoy deliciosos.

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 dannyodwyer  Staff

@mister_v said:

And my homestead isn't in Kerry, but I guess it's close enough.

Cracking work @humanity - I'll be sure to study it thoroughly before my flight.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think people would be so hostile towards what I decided to call Frisco in the topic title

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent. All the easier for the duder to show up on live shows, here.

@dannyodwyer Don't be stranger, O'Dwyer. As you can see, a good portion of the community has already claimed you as their own.

NOW LET THE PERSONNEL POACHING AND UNABASHED STUPIDITY COMMENCE.