• 69 results
paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By paradox121

I was just listening back to a radio show from this week and during the news they covered the launch of Halo Reach. They were interviewing a couple of people, one of which claimed to have taken the whole week off. Now, I respect that people like Halo. I get that some love it like some kind of chocolate covered thing made of gold..stuff. But a whole week?

So have you taken day(s) off work to play a game? Personally I much prefer the thought of having something new and cool to come home to than actually sitting for days doing nothing but playing through something. Am I alone?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I went to a midnight release event for Modern Warfare 2 and took the following day off of work. That's the last time I remember doing anything like that.

sociald1077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By sociald1077

I couldn't afford to take a week off work just to play a game. I would take a day off to see a big concert or something like that, but not a week for a video game.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FourWude

That man who took a week off should be ashamed of himself and YOU too. 

It's as if he's spitting in the eyes of everyone who is unemployed and in the current economic climate it's nigh on distateful. Sickening is, what it is.

Zafmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zafmg
@FourWude said:
" That man who took a week off should be ashamed of himself and YOU too.   It's as if he's spitting in the eyes of everyone who is unemployed and in the current economic climate it's nigh on distateful. Sickening is, what it is. "
oh wow that's a hell of a response there tiger
blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By blazerx9x
@Zafmg said:
" @FourWude said:
" That man who took a week off should be ashamed of himself and YOU too.   It's as if he's spitting in the eyes of everyone who is unemployed and in the current economic climate it's nigh on distateful. Sickening is, what it is. "
oh wow that's a hell of a response there tiger "
Some people have no mercy.
ProLife_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ProLife_Zombie

I'm taking a day off Tuesday to play Civ 5. It's paid vacation, so it's  basically like I'm getting money to play Civ 5 all day. 

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I have taken days off because I planned on playing video games all night and day before. Or day after midnight launches and such.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryoma122
@paradox121: 
lol i cant say i remember any thing like that but  i was forced to take a month off because the company 
couldnt afford to pay me for the holiday time and they didnt want me to waste it lol
sixtey7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sixtey7

I joke around about taking weeks off for new games (New Vegas for example), but I've never actually done it.   

@paradox121:
 I agree, I like the idea of having a new game to come home and relax playing after work, rather than spending the entire day at home playing a game, I think I would get bored trying to play a game that long.... 

Now, when I was in college, I have cut classes to play video games, but I cut classes for a lot of other reasons too...

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Fbomb

Never have, never will. Gaming takes a back seat in my laundry list of adventurous interests when I've booked time off. Games are a time waster, while vacation time is for new life experiences--anything that I can do on any other day of the week, is not what I want to do with booked time off. 

That said, it's cool to know there are people out there that are so invested in a game, that it's worth taking holidays to invest themselves completely in the world--sounds like a cheap vacation to me, so I'm strangely envious, in a way that's only comparable to people who are cheap drunks.

Marmaladebrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Marmaladebrat

I faked sickness and took a day off to finish the original Resident Evil on the first PlayStation.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Noodles
@FourWude said:

Maybe instead of bitching, you should work as hard as the person who was able to take a week off to play Halo and find a job that gives you that liberty.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FourWude
@Noodles said:
" @FourWude said:

Maybe instead of bitching, you should work as hard as the person who was able to take a week off to play Halo and find a job that gives you that liberty. "
There ain't no jobs out there BITCH!!

There ain't no place for a crime fighting doctor like myself. Our kind died along with Diagnosis: Murder.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hatking

I have taken a day off of work before to play a game.  I don't think there is much wrong with it.  I work part time and my schedules fluctuate wildly.  Taking a day off for me is basically saying schedule me on a different day instead of this day.  I usually still end up working the same amount of hours.  BUT that is just one day, an entire week?  Christ... I don't think I could play one game for that long.  I'd probably end up sick of the game. 

I actually had a job where I was doing training on computers all day for the first week.  I had eight hour shifts, the training took me about two.  A few times I clocked in and went back to my apartment to play games, coming back just to clock out. : P
Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'd love to do it, but never have the opportunity to...I'm too responsible. Bah.

ProLife_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProLife_Zombie
@Fbomb: I take vacation to get away from D-bags like you.
azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By azhang

Never took a day off. Not really worth it imo.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By paradox121
@Fbomb said:
" Never have, never will. Gaming takes a back seat in my laundry list of adventurous interests when I've booked time off. Games are a time waster, while vacation time is for new life experiences--anything that I can do on any other day of the week, is not what I want to do with booked time off.   That said, it's cool to know there are people out there that are so invested in a game, that it's worth taking holidays to invest themselves completely in the world--sounds like a cheap vacation to me, so I'm strangely envious, in a way that's only comparable to people who are cheap drunks. "
See I think it does come down to a state of mind really. Personally, even if I did have a week off, I'd only play a game I adored in chunks, because I like to savour stuff. I'd never sit down and play it for hours on end because I'd feel I was just 'wasting' it as it were. But then other people are the total opposite. A general personality trait I guess.
ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShadowMountain

Never. There is more to life than games. I'll play them when I find the time to. I enjoy them more that way anyway

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Branthog

I telecommute, so I'm always home and have been pretty much my entire adult life. And for the last six years, I've had a three-day work week. So that leaves plenty of time for gaming. Unfortunately, I don't really make good on that time as my completed list attests to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blazerx9x said:
" @Zafmg said:
" @FourWude said:
oh wow that's a hell of a response there tiger "
Some people have no mercy. "
He always chooses the renegade options.
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Feanor
@Noodles: You act as though getting a good job like that is an easy and guaranteed thing.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead

I regularly skipped University and School for marquee releases. Not sure if I'd do it when I was in a job though.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By krazy_kyle
@paradox121:
Never, I am patient enough to wait to get home from college than take days off. Even tho I'm a gamer I still think education is more important
Zafmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zafmg
@krazy_kyle said:
" @paradox121: Never, I am patient enough to wait to get home from college than take days off. Even tho I'm a gamer I still think education is more important "
man you really are krazy
MixxMasterMaxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MixxMasterMaxx

I have thought about it several times, and I always take advantage of the holidays that come up near major releases (when I'm interested in the game), but I've never actually scheduled time off or even called in sick.  I've joked about it a lot, but never done it.  I guess I'm a failure as a slacker, too!

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jasta

A day maybe, an entire week? Ridiculous.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By just_nonplussed

i guess it's a kind of romantic thing to do, in a sense.. like a devotion to something you love. but i tend to feel weird if i play video games in the day time, you know, if the sunshine is streaming through your window. either you can't see the screen, or you have to pull the blinds down... which makes me feel like a hermit. it's weird. i like to do things in the day. games are an evening pursuit to me, unless it's raining outside or i have nothing else going on, or for whatever reason i can afford the time to not be working on something. but usually if a game is compelling and addictive enough, i let it engulf me and spend extra time playing it until it's out of my system - those are the best games.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Vorbis

Know a group of WoW players who work together, they all have 2 weeks holiday for when the next expansionpack is released. Also remember people taking days off for patch days, then complained when the servers came up late and their day was wasted. Some WoW players are weird.

I've taken days off then played games, but never taken days off just to game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince

I have taken days off school, but not work.

CaptainCoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaptainCoke

Once Diablo 3 comes out I may have to consider a leave of absence... :) 

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mighty

Jesus. A week? 

That dude needs a life.
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I've taken a week off for TBC and WotLK, I plan to do the same when Cata comes out. 

honeycut1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By honeycut1

I haven't taken a day off work to play a game.  I mean if I'm off work and I happen to play a game then I'm happy.   Most nights I'm at law school so it wouldn't do me much good to take off from 9 to 5 when classes tart at 6:30pm...plus my wife would be pissed.

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By megasoum

In theory you could say that I took two weeks off for F1 2010 coming out next tuesday. I've been doing so much overtime in the last couple of months (yay video games industry!) that I had 80 paid hours available in the bank. Since I'm not really the travel/tourist kind and I didn't had anything else planned to do in the next couple of months I said  "Hey why not", might as well take them when my favourite game is coming out. 

Back when I scheduled it Test Drive Unlimited 2 was also supposed to come out next week but it's been delayed.... Anyway...

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fbomb
@ProLife_Zombie said:
" @Fbomb: I take vacation to get away from D-bags like you. "
Perfect!

(Also, I'm not down on people taking time off to play games, it's just the last thing on my mind when I've taken a chunk of time off).
illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By illmatic19

I skipped class for Reach and StarCraft II.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By BunkerBuster

My superiors know I love games and would fire the shit out of me if I took a day off that just happens to be at a launch of a huge game.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Burzmali

The closest I've ever come to  taking time off for a game was getting a wicked rash the day Bioshock came out. I legitimately had to go to a doctor, and then had the rest of the day to play Bioshock. 

On a related note, I manage a bunch of people in games QA, and people who call in sick on the day that a major release comes out really drive me nuts. I have no problem with people requesting the day off ahead of time, but calling in sick is complete crap. We had 15 testers/leads call in sick when Halo 3 came out. Lately, we've started collecting gamertags, PSN IDs, etc before major release days. Anyone who calls in sick and has the released games activity on their account then gets some disciplinary action when they get back. The threat has been enough to make people request the time off beforehand.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

a week is pretty crazy for a video game. i would understand a day to do that. there would be people that would be happy to work there for a week just to get some cash. i would take a day off for a game but not an entire week.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@FourWude said:
Having a job doesn't mean your job owns you, or that you don't have a life outside of work.  Some people go to the beach during their vacations; others play video games.  I know which is easier to afford.  I don't agree with you.
Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nekroskop

I my opinion it's just plain stupid to take a day off for a game. Save it for when it really matters, like the day after you've been on a drinkingbinge

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By huntad

I took a day off to play Halo 3. Big mistake. It's not worth doing that kind of stuff for video games. They'll be there when you get home...unless they're stolen! Dun Dun Duuuuunnnn!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Branthog
@FourWude said:
Symbolic gestures are just that and nothing more. His dedication to or appreciation of his job in no way impacts anyone else's employment, whatsoever. Might as well be saying that if the dude didn't stand in line for a week, he should be ashamed of himself, because there are plenty of amputees in the world who would give anything to be able to stand anywhere for a week.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By RichardLOlson

Well as great as that all sounds.  I have to work, regardless what new game I might have sitting at home waiting for me.  I work 5-6 days a week 10 hr shifts and get very little sleep.  Plus on top of bills and a little one to take care of, its hard to find time to play games let alone shop for new games.  Its not like I can pull out 60 bucks for a new game as soon as one comes out and I certainly can't have someone else support my gaming addiction.  Some people who decide to take off work for a few days or a week to play games, its there business, but its foolish.  Not only do the other people have to pick up the slack for when that person leaves, but that astro tard that leaves loses out on money and possibly gets fired.

For the longest time I thought it would be awesome to just sit around and play video games all day and just veg out.  But since my son came into my life, I see that its not a life that is very exciting.  My girlfriends little sister is one of those people, someone who doesn't want anything for her life and enjoys mooching off her mother and doesn't have any interest in living her own life.  Always in front of her laptop and doesn't seem to want to do anything else.  Always making excuses for why she can't work and always bumming money and cigerettes from me and my girl.  I just don't understand people some times.  Life is no video game, you don't get a second chance.  I guess some people need to grow up and look at the bigger picture.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By sparklykiss

I've never taken a day off of work for a game, but I have faked a dire illness to stay home and play a game while Mom made me soup and stuff. >.> I've also skipped out on a date to play the likes of Dark Cloud and MapleStory. I regret that, because I missed one of the most fun days of French class when I skipped school and haven't been on a date in awhile now.

xtiara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xtiara

It seems pretty sad to take days off of work/school just to play a game. It just shows how impatient and childish people are with their "NEED IT NOW" personalities. 

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Wasara88
@xtiara:  Aggreed, but i don't understant the fuss. If a person has paid vacation days he/she has saved so what if they decide to use it on new game they have. Everyone seems think here that playing games is a huge waste of time. I mean all of us here are gamers and theres no point denying it. And on top of that isn't the time you take posting on a GAMING forum even more of a waste? It's strange how even gamers seem to be ashamed to admit being gamers. I'm pretty sure the guy who took a week of work for a game was not skipping work as some of you think, because that truly would be stupid.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By asurastrike

No, I usually go directly after work/school to get new games.