Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Look at all those free weapons. 
Did you miss out on Death Tank earlier this year on Xbox Live Arcade? Judging by the dearth of people currently playing the game in multiplayer matches, you probably did. And that's unfortunate; the game is a silly, over-the-top, frenzied action game where you lob enormous amounts of ordnance into the sky to obliterate all the other tanks before they can obliterate you. It's basically a frenetic real-time version of games like Worms or Scorched Earth and it's a jolly, trash-talking, stupid sort of fun. (I use "stupid" in the best possible sense, here.)

As fun as Death Tank is when played against a few other people, it struck me as a little expensive at 1200 points (or $15). Well, developer Flat Games has come back and sweetened the deal after the fact with a new free update that's out now on XBLA, adding a whopping 13 new weapons to the game, as well as a few new cosmetic-only tank models.

There's time-limited online play in the demo version, so if any of this sounds like fun to you, grab that and give it a shot. Expensive or not, Death Tank is certainly fun enough that it deserves to have an active multiplayer community for the foreseeable future.

For an even quicker taste of the game's lunacy, this new trailer really captures the spirit of Death Tank better than words ever could. I'm sensing a little late Quick Look potential on this one, come to think of it.    

(Thanks, GamerBytes.)
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
Did you miss out on Death Tank earlier this year on Xbox Live Arcade? Judging by the dearth of people currently playing the game in multiplayer matches, you probably did. And that's unfortunate; the game is a silly, over-the-top, frenzied action game where you lob enormous amounts of ordnance into the sky to obliterate all the other tanks before they can obliterate you. It's basically a frenetic real-time version of games like Worms or Scorched Earth and it's a jolly, trash-talking, stupid sort of fun. (I use "stupid" in the best possible sense, here.)

As fun as Death Tank is when played against a few other people, it struck me as a little expensive at 1200 points (or $15). Well, developer Flat Games has come back and sweetened the deal after the fact with a new free update that's out now on XBLA, adding a whopping 13 new weapons to the game, as well as a few new cosmetic-only tank models.

There's time-limited online play in the demo version, so if any of this sounds like fun to you, grab that and give it a shot. Expensive or not, Death Tank is certainly fun enough that it deserves to have an active multiplayer community for the foreseeable future.

For an even quicker taste of the game's lunacy, this new trailer really captures the spirit of Death Tank better than words ever could. I'm sensing a little late Quick Look potential on this one, come to think of it.    

(Thanks, GamerBytes.)
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

Sounds deathy. Not sure if I want to drop 1200 points on this though, after Shadow Complex.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

That's cool that they added new content to the game.  I probably would have gotten it if I did not just buy Shadow Complex with my 1200 points

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

This will surely be a "Deal of the Week" sometime soon. Maybe I will pick it up then!!

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Aeterna

The originals were absolutely great. I can remember the times we just played it through the night 'til morning with friends. Nothing like it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

This is how all trailers should be made.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By louiedog

Suh-weet. I own this game and free content is always welcome.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8  Edited By MachoFantastico

Greatest trailer ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Hahaha, thats an awesome trailer, if I had XBLA I'd pick this one up. 

Worms on my PS3 will have to do.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RsistncE

Is it just me, or is there something very Starcraft-ey about that intro logo?

Exlutonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Exlutonian

What an entertaining trailer. I enjoyed that.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By dethfish

That trailer is so awesome.

I almost bought Death Tank when it came out. I bought something else instead but I can't remember what.

Andborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Andborn
No Caption Provided
@RsistncE: I was thinking the same thing, went so far as to post the exact same sentiment on the videos page.

So we have Death Craft? Star Tank? Or DEATH STAR! 
(couldn't help myself)
stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By stafax

The thing that bugs me about this game is that it's $15. I have Worms which is now $5 (I paid $10 for it). Worms 2 is out, which more people play, and that's $10. So it gives me little reason to spend an extra $5 on a game which probably has less users playing it.

Smersh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Smersh

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhh... DEATH TANK! - great song.

bandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bandro

They didn't really do a very good job of promoting it, and the high price point doesn't necessary act as a good entry point for a game that probably doesn't offer the best first impressions.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Systech

That was the greatest trailer ever.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cloneslayer

why do I not own this game

Avatar image for primevilkneivel
PrimevilKneivel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PrimevilKneivel

I picked it up simply because I've been playing the original since it came as an extra on Duke Nuke'm for the Saturn. Fortunately I have a groups of friends that I can play it with but this game would be awesome with anyone and I'd freely play with strangers. I do think they messed up with the price for what is essentially an unknown game, but if you have people to play it with it's easily worth the money. 

It  would be worth it to pick up the demo, play through the single player to get the feel for it and then organise with people on here to get a game going for the hour you get free with the demo. I guarentee you more than one person would be buying it by the end of the hour. 

And if you've got a working Saturn with both Duke and Quake play the original (you need a Quake game save and it shows up in Duke). It's got way more charm than the XBLA version.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#20  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I love artillery-style games.  Some of my best gaming moments were spent blowing up my friends in those :)

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Scarabus

Such wonderfully terrible music. Game is awesome.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By c1337us

That trailer did nothing for me. It has convinced me to never buy this game.

Ammut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ammut

This is an amazing free update. The article doesn't mention the new mod addition to the game where you can edit the attributes of all weapons and items - reload time, damage, how many shots, purchase price... - which allows for some really inventive custom matches.  Also, there is a Death Tank tournament this Saturday with prizes and all. 

While the price may be a little steep it has tons of replay value once you get into playing online. Check out the trial to get a taste.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson

Hm, definitely going to give the trial a shot.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond

I got the game when it came out, and it's a good game.  I was surprised how poorly the game seemed to sell.  What makes something like Death Tank a bomb while Trials HD is a smash hit?  I do think Trials HD is a bit more fun, but Death Tank deserved to do better.

Avatar image for primevilkneivel
PrimevilKneivel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PrimevilKneivel
@Diamond: Deathtank needs other players, Trials does not.
Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Media_Master

DEATH TANK