Disney buys LucasArts. Announces Star Wars Episode 7...WHAT?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#301  Edited By tebbit

Make it for adults.

For gods sake, make it for adults!

Oh, it's Disney...

whellllp. See you later.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#302  Edited By jsnyder82

@xyzygy said:

Love how the fanbase's first reaction is FUCK. Makes NO sense. You'd think fans of a series would want more, not less.

Especially since they would be getting more without George Lucas at the helm to fuck it up. I'm ecstatic. And Disney has a pretty good track record with it past acquisitions. I don't know how anyone can see this as anything but a positive.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303  Edited By jsnyder82

@Tebbit said:

Make it for adults.

Oh, it's Disney...

whellllp. See you later.

Disney owns Miramax, ABC, Marvel. There are plenty of things with adult content Disney owns. Them owning LucasFilm does not mean the Star Wars movies will be for kids.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By flindip

@jsnyder82 said:

@Tebbit said:

Make it for adults.

Oh, it's Disney...

whellllp. See you later.

Disney owns Miramax, ABC, Marvel. There are plenty of things with adult content Disney owns. Them owning LucasFilm does not mean the Star Wars movies will be for kids.

Sigh, Star Wars has ALWAYS been for kids. Don't expect an rated R Star Wars movie made by Quentin Tarantino any time soon(I mean really WTF?!).

Doesn't mean a kids movie can't appeal to adults as well, like the original Star Wars films.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By SargeGulp

@Tebbit: Dark Knight was PG-13, far as I'm concerned that's well and enough. This opens up the door for anyone to come in. Maybe the wrong guy will get it, maybe not, it's Disney who the hell knows. Pixar could be making a Star Wars movie now for all we know. But there are possibilities where before there were none. Maybe someone who gets Star Wars will get Star Wars. Disney owns Marvel, Marvel put Joss Whedon in charge of The Avengers.. sometimes it happens.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#306  Edited By jjnen
@jsnyder82

@Tebbit said:

Make it for adults.

Oh, it's Disney...

whellllp. See you later.

I thought Star Wars movies were always for kid. Adults can enjoy them too but they're definitely for kids.
Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#307  Edited By Balex1908

2015, Avengers 2, Justice League, Star Wars VII...what?

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By flindip

I just can't understand the fans who are clamoring for Star Wars that is dark and gritty(or if that tone inherently makes Star Wars better).

Star Wars is a serialized swashbuckling pulpy space opera. Star Wars is at its best when its FUN, and you have an emotional investment with the characters.

Star Wars should be dark when it needs to be, not that it HAS to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me guess, we get a prequel-prequel trilogy, a new trilogy, another new trilogy, an Old Republic trilogy, and a past the-another-new-trilogy trilogy...

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#310  Edited By tebbit

@jsnyder82: @flindip: @SargeGulp: @Balex1908: Just to clarify my statement: I don't want an R-rated Star Wars. When I say "adult", I mean a little bit mature, a little bit dark, like... lets say the first 3 Star Wars films, and some parts of Episode 3. What I don't want is Episode 1 or 2. Or a movie based on that animated series (is there already one of those?) - not that there's anything wrong with that. It just ain't my thang.

I realise the original trilogy was generally pretty lighthearted, but it had a dark edge, which the modern renditions either completely lack (ep 1 and 2, animated) or is delivered in such a ham-fisted way as to almost render the entire series a complete joke - Episode 3: you nooooooooooooooo what I'm talking about.

And yes, The Dark Knight was rated PG-13. One of the best movies ever made - that shit was not for kids. Pixar movies are mostly G or PG rated - Wall-e is, again, one of the best movies I've ever seen, but that was not a movie that was designed for "kids". It was designed for audiences of all ages, including children. Spy Kids is designed for kids, Episode 1 and 2 are designed for kids, The Tooth Fairy is designed for kids. It is dreck, because children don't have taste. They love the shit out of everything, unless it's scary, or it offends their sensibilities.

What I'm really trying to say is: Pokemon The First Movie is the greatest cinematic experience of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Metal_Mills said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Disney has a WAY better track record these last twenty years than George Lucas has. I'll take them anyday.

Pirates. John Carter. Tron, yeah...not really.

Alternatively: Pixar's output, The Princess and the Frog, The Muppets, Frankenweenie.

Spin is a wonderful thing.

@Jack268 said:

The funniest thing I've read in weeks. I doubt Episode 7 will be any good, unless they somehow didn't have Lucas himself poking around in there, but that ain't happening.

Disney bought Marvel, and look and the output from that studio since (and not a bad film among them).

I would imagine this could turn out pretty well.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#312  Edited By obcdexter

I'm actually excited.

Disney might be a competent enough company to produce another good Star Wars film. Hopefully Lucas ideas won't play into this new (what I suppose is a) trilogy.

And on that note: Hats off to George Lucas - he finally seemed to realize he turned this once cherished franchise into a laughingstock ever since starting to fuck with the original trilogy by "upgrading them visually to fit his original vision".

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#313  Edited By Seppli

Cool. I'm looking forward to more Star Wars. I think Disney and Star Wars are a great fit. Some things will be for me, some won't. I'm glad George Lucas sorted things out before buying the farm. Just think of the mess this transition would have been, if he hadn't and he'd died. Also a big fat thank you George for all the countless hours of entertainment and wonder.

Enjoy retirement.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By sungahymn

I still trying to wrap my mind around this.

...My god, a new trilogy...It's like fan-fiction or something.

Not that I think it's a bad thing, it's just...weird.

Generiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Generiko

I don't like Disney buying these big ass companies :(

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Tebbit: A lot of the Clone Wars series is very dark, I'd recommend at least checking out the Night Sisters trilogy. Being for kids doesn't mean it has to pander to them and Disney has never really done that. Whatever they do will be better than Episodes 1 and 2, without question.

I don't mind the fact they'll probably serialize this and release a movie every couple of years either. I just hope they branch out and tell their new stories that don't necessarily have to be connected to the original events/characters. We don't need to see "Jaden Skywalker" or "Baby Chewbacca" or any of that crap.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This means Avengers 2 is going to reveal Nick Fury and Mace Windu as being one-in-the-same, right?

weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By weirdo

IS THIS REAL LIFE?

Or maybe it's just fantasy

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By amir90
@TooWalrus Ohh you clever Walrus.
yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#320  Edited By yukoasho

I will continue to not give a fuck about Star Wars. it's changed from an endearing trilogy to just another franchise to grow.

That said, I gotta defend Disney as a whole. It always makes my eyes roll when people go "THEY GONNA KIDDIFY EVERYTHING!" They have several divisions that have nothing to do with kids, such as Miramax and Touchstone. That's what happens when you have a large ass company.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By Brendan

Don't care no 'mo. Will always love the originals and the games that came out in the 90's and early '00's, and that will always be valuable to me.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By splodge

JAJA BINKS ORIGIN STORY

Ashler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By Ashler

What is this, i don't even... ?!

wow.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#324  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Wait it better not involve the story arc of Han Solo, and the Skywalker's. I mean how old are Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher? :o

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#325  Edited By Snail

THIS IS SERIOUSLY HAPPENING. THAT'S-- I DON'T EVEN-- HOW DID THIS JUST HAPPEN.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#326  Edited By GS_Dan

@VanderSEXXX said:

Wait it better not involve the story arc of Han Solo, and the Skywalker's. I mean how old are Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher? :o

They're pretty old in some of the books. It could work.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By SargeGulp

On the bright side, George Lucas can no longer fuck with the original trilogy. His strange obsession with his creation really makes me wonder what's wrong with him now. Why sell it? He was already shit tons rich before.. he's planning something diabolical I think.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By selbie

Episode 7: Nien Nunb's Day Off

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By VanderSEXXX

@GS_Dan said:

@VanderSEXXX said:

Well then so expect Princess lea to look like this then. Can you imagine here wearing that slave costume now? LOL

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#330  Edited By Tackchevy

Thought this was a joke headline? Actually real? Whoa.

CODA117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By CODA117

I think this the best news to happen to Star Wars in 20yrs! The franchise was seriously going nowhere with Lucas under control. I can see Disney breathing new life into this franchise much like Paramount did with Star Trek and handing the keys over to JJ Abrams to bring that franchise back from the dead...Tho I'd never thought I live to see the day when George would let go or actually SELL off his baby. The best Star Wars movie Empire Strikes Back (imo) was not directed by him, so it just goes to show how great it can be when someone more talented with better vision is at the directorial helm. I'm very intrigued with getting new Star Wars material w/o George sufficating it to death.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Does this the mean the originals will be released unedited again?

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#333  Edited By GS_Dan

@rebgav said:

@GS_Dan said:

@VanderSEXXX said:

"Decrepit Princess Leia" and "Elderly Han Solo" will not be popular action figures. I'm calling it.

Jesus, imagine Carrie Fisher's face on the side of a Slurpee cup.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By JohnLocke

What I want to know is, where does this leave Day of the Tentacle? If Disney get behind this and make a new version or HD remake (or preferably both) and maybe a film that explores it, that would totally be awesome.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By cheesebob

Soo....How many of those Billions does George Lucas get?

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336  Edited By flindip

@Cheesebob said:

Soo....How many of those Billions does George Lucas get?

He gets 4.9 billion and then about 40 million shares of Disney(about 2 percent of the company). But I think Disney will buy back his shares over time(either all of it or some of it).

On top that he gets royalties.

So anyone thinking this franchise is over after 7-9 is kidding themselves. Disney is going to be making Star Wars movies until the end of time.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337  Edited By flindip

@rebgav said:

@JohnLocke said:

What I want to know is, where does this leave Day of the Tentacle? If Disney get behind this and make a new version or HD remake (or preferably both) and maybe a film that explores it, that would totally be awesome.

Disney gets all of LucasArts too. I doubt that they give the remotest fuck about ancient adventure games but who knows?

A grand total of none atm. But Star Wars/Indy will both find new developers rather quickly I would think.

I'm wondering if Blizzard would want anything to do with Star Wars(probably not since they have Star Craft).

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I was kinda ok with this idea, but then someone mentioned Pirates and I died a little inside.

CODA117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By CODA117

Well in all fairness when Disney bought out MARVEL a while ago nothing really changed on the MARVEL front, it was and still is business as usually from them. Going by that Disney seems pretty smart in not sticking their nose in the creative jar. They didn't do it with MARVEL, so I doubt they'll do it with Star Wars. The best thing about this is that we get a NEW director to helm the future of the films and craft what Lucas and co have laid out. Lets face it George as a director is not very good at all. He much like Speilberg is a fantastic story teller, but were they differ is directing skills. Again I use Empire Strikes Back as an example of just how badass a Star Wars movie can be when not being held back by Lucas.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By flindip

@Green_Incarnate said:

I was kinda ok with this idea, but then someone mentioned Pirates and I died a little inside.

I wouldn't worry about that, they are going the marvel route and allow Lucasfilm semi independence.

Basically the mouse puts money in the coffers and expects it returned with interest. Whether the new movies are good or not is going to have very little to do with Disney. Of course, if Lucasfilm fails to return a profit(yeah sure)then they have a right to intervene.

Its in the hands of Kathleen Kennedy as of right now. Hopefully she can put together a solid creative team.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By cheesebob

@rebgav: @flindip:

Hooooooooooooooly fuck!

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342  Edited By flindip

I wonder though

What happened to Rick McCallum out of all of this. He has got to be pissed that he wasn't given the reigns.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#343  Edited By dagas

I'd trust anyone over George Lucas when it comes to Star Wars. Disney might do some good, but at the same time Star Wars don't mean as much for me as it once did.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344  Edited By flindip

@Cheesebob said:

@rebgav: @flindip:

Hooooooooooooooly fuck!

Considering that they will make 30 times that between Marvel and Star Wars properties, its a steal of an investment. Not only did they get Star Wars but they get two of the best tech houses in the industry.

Lucas could have EASILY made more money out of this if he wanted to start a bidding war between the studios(20th century fox is annoyed they weren't even given a shot).

But he is already stupid rich and doesn't seem to care about it anymore. I bet the money he got goes into philanthropy.

Disney though is really the perfect studio for it. They know how to deal with brand names long term.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#345  Edited By monkeyking1969

I was done with Star Wars a long time ago. If the movies are good I'll admit it, if they suck I'll continue to ignore anything Star Wars. The whole thing is already over exposed and over wrought....Star War is Mr. Potato-head Darth Vader, Chef Boyardee canned pasta shapes, and Legos...get over it.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346  Edited By flindip

@rebgav said: Does Disney interactive even make games of any significance? Wouldn't they be content developing those IOS and mobile stuff that Lucasarts will be doing?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347  Edited By BonOrbitz

@flindip said:

I wonder though

What happened to Rick McCallum out of all of this. He has got to be pissed that he wasn't given the reigns.

Good question! The shock still hasn't wore off on me, so I haven't even thought that far. :D Is he still employed by Lucasfilm?

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By flindip

@BonOrbitz: I have no idea,

He just vanished it seems. He was working fairly closely with the Star Wars TV series last I read.

CODA117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349  Edited By CODA117

From all the articles I've read on this, it's suppose to be business as usual on all projects from Lucasfilms and LucasArts...I see this just like the MARVEL take over. Disney is just looking to make bank $_$, which they will...Get some better writers, actors and director and Episode VII could be a return to form for Star Wars

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350  Edited By BonOrbitz

@flindip: That's the last I read before reading that the series got shelved because it was too expensive to create at the moment. I'm curious as to how he would influence any Star Wars material after Lucas' full retirement. I've always had the impression he was a "yes man" (though who wasn't) to Lucas, except he liked to curse like mad.