Do / Did You Prefer Quake or Unreal Tournament?

• 104 results
bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By bellmont42

both were great.. quake 3 for the mods and UT for the better base game and all of its built in modes.. assault!
also quake 3 engine produced many many great games :(

Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

quakeworld easily

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Dragon_Fire

UT!
Played alot of Unreal Tournament 2003 - Unreal Tournament 2004

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By 71Ranchero

UT by a long shot. 2k4 was godlike, hell I even like UT3.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By ZimboDK

UT. Played the original to death. I pretty much kicked ass at the Morpheus level. Tried again about 4 years ago. Didn't go so well. Quake always felt way too fast for me and I could never really get the hang of it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By Claude
@Clinkz said:
" @Claude said:
" I was a console fanboy at the time. I didn't like multiplayer, even split screen. Real people scare me, so I stuck with single player games. Crazy, I'm still like that, unless it's an online passive game like TF2 or Tiger Woods for the Wii. "
What is an online passive game? "
I got into multiplayer late, so now voice chat is all over the place, especially consoles . Online Passive is no chat needed for team work, not even text. You just do your job against a real person or persons with no interaction. Or that's how I define it.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By 71Ranchero

CTF Face is still my all time favorite map in any shooter. 

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By lego_my_eggo
Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Gilsham

Def Quake 3, play the crap out of it lunch times in the computer rooms q2dm2 is my fav map kill scrubs camping the railgun with the machine gun or the gauntlet was some fun times, but I like Quake 2 more that game was crazy value for money with the amount of mods and the story. Craziest mod I ever played was rail bounce where everyone has a rail gun that will bounce off walls that is crazy

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By KaosAngel

UT99, it's still playable today and reinvented the online scene. 

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#61  Edited By Sdoots

I've played both titles for ridiculous amounts of time, and for me Quake 3 wins easily. I just greatly prefer the gameplay of Quake, and the maps are much more fun and memorable than the ones in UT.

With that said, both games are high on my list of "Fucking great games". 

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Unreal 2k4 is where its at

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jack268

UT2004 is one of the best multiplayer FPS's I've ever played, and Quake 3 is high on the list too, but I haven't spent nearly as much time with it as I did with UT, so I can't really give a good verdict. I'mma vote for UT though. 

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#64  Edited By kalmis

Deck16
 Deck16
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By crusader8463

I was a Quake guy. In Highschool a bunch of us raided the computer lab and installed Quake 3 onto all the computers and set up our private LAN network for that game alone, and we used the schools T1 network to play at lunch time. It became so popular that we had people who never played games before in their life running to the computer lab at dinner time to play. It was first come first serve, and once you got a computer you got. I was always happy because my class before lunch was right across the hall from the computer lab, so I always got to play.

In college though it was Counter Strike Source. We convinced our 3DS Max teacher to buy a bunch of copies of Half Life 2 because they came with the hammer editor and they could use it for the level design classes. No idea if they did or not, but we all got to play counter strike source all the time. The best days where when we had no after noon classes and we would all stay from dinner time until 5:00 pm-6:00pm at night playing on random servers.

Good times. Good time.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SlightConfuse

i played more UT than Quake back in the day

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67  Edited By SBYM

Quake III Arena.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Moonshadow101

Tribes, bitches. 

Failing that, UT.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#69  Edited By takua108

UT2K4 4 LIFE

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By gamb1t

Starsiege tribes. 

But in this case UT. I mean UT 99 was just crazy. Then UT on the dreamcast was loads loads loads of fun. UT2k4 LOADS LOADS LOADS of fun. UT2k7 some fun.  Q3 loads loads loads of fun but thats where it ends there. Lets not talk about Q4.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MikkaQ

Back when this argument mattered at all, it was UT. If I'm playing either of the two today, it'd probably be quake, cause of Quake Live.  

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#72  Edited By ESREVER

Never really played Quake, and the first time I played Unreal was when I got UTII2003 for Christmas one year. 
I didn't play online too much, but it was a lot of fun with BOTS.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By RichardLOlson

Something else.  I enjoyed back in the day, but now its kinda like a distant memory.  My love will always be for Goldeneye 64.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74  Edited By KaosAngel

How did Epic fuck up UT3 so bad?   

UT2007 looked fail-proof and they fucked it up.  All they had to do was make UT2k4 in the Gears graphics, that's ALL they had to do...how did they screw it up?

Voydtt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UT will forever be Quake Lite to me.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By kindgineer

I never played Quake, but Unreal Tournament: Championship Edition was my first foray into competitive multiplayer on PC. Two Worlds was just so fun, and I was always that guy who rushed the redeemer. Add on a little low-grav mutator's, and I'll have a lot of fun!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friends owned UT, so I played UT

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Quite a necro, but I always like reading abot this argument.

Plus, with Quake Live and new Unreal showing up on the site within a month, the discussion is evergreen.

Quake for deathmatch, UT for large scale team games. I had a ton of fun with UT III online.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it's interesting seeing these games coming back, I'm excited to play some new UT when it's completed. I played more UT than Quake, but honestly I was a way bigger CS guy than either of those two games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

UT mostly, actually first played it on the PS2 then moved on to the 2004 edition for PC.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back in the day UT, nowadays i probably would play quake live over UT

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quake, by the time UT became more popular I was done with shooters entirely.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By RiotControl

Unreal Tournament by far. In Quake 3, deathmatch was pretty much the only thing going for it and it had some of the most uninteresting looking maps in any game I've ever played. The weapons were the same old thing, too. They tried to capture some of the magic of UT with Team Arena, but that flopped.

The maps in UT played and looked amazing. You could play from a variety of different game modes with specialized maps and VERY different tactics used in each one. The weapons were creative and really fun to use. How many people have fond memories of Quake 3 guns? The railgun, maybe. Even people who've never played UT can name the flak cannon. Not to mention the shock rifle, redeemer, ridiculously awesome rocket/grenade launcher and so forth. (No, the Biogun doesn't suck, Jeff - It's a free 1-hit kill if you can aim with it) All that with an insanely active mod community. Tactical Ops, Infiltration, Thievery, Co-op and an endless amount of mutators to change the core game up.

And the awesome soundtrack!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Quake for Deathmatch. The movement and guns just feel better. Any teamoriented play I'd rather play Team Fortress than UT.

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always far preferred Unreal Tournament over Quake. Playing Quake Live for a while lately and now playing the Unreal Tournament actually reinforced this stance even more for me. I was actually surprised by just how much better UT is.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#86  Edited By veektarius

I put more hours into UT, I liked the aesthetic better, but honestly I didn't get into multiplayer shooters until they got more structured, like with 1942.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed both but ultimately I'd say I'm a UT guy because I enjoyed its Deathmatch as much as Quake's in its own unique way. Add in all the other excellent options offered by UT, that Quake doesn't have, and I have a personal winner. UT was always our common ground LAN FPS as well. Until it got replaced by the far weaker Counterstrike 1.6 by the heretical mainstream taste.

Then LAN parties started to go extinct and Battlefield changed everything. Initially very few people of my old LAN buddies agreed which drove me towards competitive online even quicker. I'm not even sure if, or at least for how long, I'd enjoy arena shooters online - that's how much they're linked to the LAN scene for me.

Trenox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember vividly playing the unreal tournament demo for a month and then the quake3 demo hit and i never looked back. But i also did prefer quake before then. You have way superior flow/movement in quake - in unreal i feel i lose momentum and doesn't get the same flowing rhythm.

The weapon load out for quake 3 is still the best for competitive imo. I can understand why some would prefer unreals double weapon functionality and its a nice gimmick but honestly not much more than that. it also introduces some overlap in functionality. Quakes weapons are so clean in their design and each has its specific use in different combat situations. Even the default weapons are sometimes the strongest. Unreal suffers a bit from its single player legacy and doesnt really commit to the idea of competitive mp IMO.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quake was cool because you could easily Mod it with QuakeC. Overall I liked Unreal tournament more mostly due to the assault mode.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#90  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Quake 1 > Unreal Tournament 99 > Quake 2 > Quake 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 2004 in that order I guess.

I absolutely loved the mods that Quake 1, 2 and UT99 got. With the other games it seems most people started sticking with playing a single map 24/7 and that always was incredibly boring to me.

getsomegoagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the hell out of all of both series. I remember giving some of my friends a good ribbing whenever they would align with one or the other. I'd be all "you go ahead and enjoy the one game while I'm having a blast on both".

That being said, if one had to die I would kill UT. I cut my online teeth on Q1. The campaigns of Q1 and 2 were amazing, and online for both was fierce, frantic, FAST and fun as hell. Q3, well, AWESOME. Flat out. I know I'm going to get the stink-eye for this but I even enjoyed Q4 for online play. It gets a lot of flack but it was VERY precise and fast, every bit as good a twitch shooter as the others in it's ways. map design wasn't nearly as good as the other games and there were too few maps but Q4 got everything else right when it came to online. Q4's CTF was great and the nail gun in any mode was a metal-heads weapon for sure (yes, I'm from the 80's! Obituary, Slayer, Autopsy etc are my kinds of bands)! If you were good with the nail gun you could instill panic in even the best players! I was a nailgun fan so I got really good with it but almost nobody else used it much. As such, people didn't develop very good counter-strategies for when they were under heavy nailgun fire. If you cornered someone or got them near a wall or obstacle with it you could shred them up FAST due to the nails that hit them and the ones that didn't ricocheting off of everything and tearing them up as they tried to find a direction where nails weren't flying. People would outright panic! Good times :-)

I'm not going to disparage UT at all though, awesome series online and I loved the first one's campaign big time.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played Quake much, loved UT.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Q3 to UT 2k4. You know, the natural progression of things.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was always a Counter Strike player, i played a lot of the original UT against bots and some 2004 online, but i don't like the weapons spawning in the maps, if it's a match full of rookies whoever randomly gets the better guns has a random unfair advantage, and against skilled players who dominate weapon spawns everyone else is having a hard time.
From CS i went to Renegade, almost avoided the arena shooter heyday completely, only Quake i've played is 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My cousin had UT so I like UT.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't play either of them back in the day but after playing Quake Live and the new UT I prefer Quake a lot more. Unreal Tournament feels slow in comparison and there is too much going on with all this shit everywhere trying to kill you, whereas Quake feels a little more structured where the only thing that matters is aiming better than the other person.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only played a bit of Quake 3, never played UT.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat nerco, can I like both? I'm going to be a weird one. I liked Quake 2 single player and the sounds will be very iconic to me but the little MP I did play was UT: Championship and that I remember being great and nothing I'd experienced before at the time.

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first Quake II, then later on in college Unreal

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UT99 is a great game and I think I might prefer it but I've played way more Quake 3. They're both fantastic games.
For the record I'm a Counter Strike guy before both of those.