Do You Get Annoyed When People Ask If A Game Is "Good"?

• 100 results
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Whisperkill

I don't know 

I have friends who are tough guys, smoke a lot of weed, work out, have sex with girls and all that. They fucking love Mario Kart, Party, NSMB Wii, Fallout, Pokemon, etc...

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Hamst3r

What bothers me more is when someone asks if one game is better than another, especially when they're incomparable. Even worse is when they actually buy games with that mindset and skip playing really awesome games because the handful of people they asked liked one game better than another. An example would be not playing Arkham Asylum because your friends either didn't play it or liked Mass Effect 2 more. FUCK.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By LiquidPrince
@KaosAngel said:
" I saw a kid at GameStop asking if Halo 3 was good cause he was buying a 360 that day...I said no and he should get Rogue Warrior instead.    ...is it bad I hate Halo games with so much passion?  All becuase UT2k4 was outsold by that trashy game Halo 2 the same year.  >.> "
You told him not to pick up a mediocre game, but instead a laughably bad game...?
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By spacetrucking
@jakob187: You seem like a very opinionated person. So shouldn't you be happy that people are asking you for your opinion? 

If a friend asks me for gaming advice, I usually ask them a few pointed questions to figure out what they want and I recommend a game based on that. I would never tell them to figure it out for themselves because gaming journalism is mad confusing to an outsider. It just makes more sense to ask someone directly and get personalized advice.  

BTW you never recommend a game just because of one standout quality (like blood & gore). You're setting up yourself and the other person for some frustration. Take that Gears kid for example. Maybe he enjoys the cover-based shooting but doesn't know enough about games to figure that out for himself. Individual mechanics like that are core to people's enjoyment of a game but they aren't very easy to breakdown for people who don't play a lot.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@jakob187: Ang Lee's Hulk is a good movie. It was just too dense for the audience. They got what they wanted when that mindless re-vamp came out a few years back.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By KaosAngel
@LiquidPrince said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" I saw a kid at GameStop asking if Halo 3 was good cause he was buying a 360 that day...I said no and he should get Rogue Warrior instead.    ...is it bad I hate Halo games with so much passion?  All becuase UT2k4 was outsold by that trashy game Halo 2 the same year.  >.> "
You told him not to pick up a mediocre game, but instead a laughably bad game...? "
I will never support a Halo game after what happened with UT2k4.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @KaosAngel said:
You told him not to pick up a mediocre game, but instead a laughably bad game...? "
I will never support a Halo game after what happened with UT2k4. "
I think the point isn't that you're sticking it to Halo, you're sticking it to the kid. You could have, maybe, you know, pointed him to a game that's worth a damn. Not toward some catastrophic piece of shit.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By trophyhunter

Well this game sucks but the fun factor is through the roof.
I do hate it because I think alot of "crap" games are "good"

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Mistzero

no because mostly my friends ask if the game is good and they have a good understanding of what i like.  plus if its some one i dont know too well then i just say either i like  it or i dont and if they ask why i tell them simple; then again im not that jaded

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#60  Edited By Red

Sounds like you're assuming what their definition is, instead of just using the word. 
Simply answer whether or not the game is of good quality. No matter how stupid kids may be, then know when things are garbage.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By KaosAngel
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @KaosAngel said:
I will never support a Halo game after what happened with UT2k4. "
I think the point isn't that you're sticking it to Halo, you're sticking it to the kid. You could have, maybe, you know, pointed him to a game that's worth a damn. Not toward some catastrophic piece of shit. "
Let's be honest here, the Quick Look was hilarious!  :D
JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By JWawin

It's a bit annoying because certain times people will not see eye to eye on a game.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By Bobdaman18

Nope, of course personal tastes come into play but i can at least tell them if its a quality product for what it is.  If someone asked me if Titanic was any good i'd say "yeah, if you're into romance type movies," its the same principle, people just want to know if its complete crap before they waste time and money on something.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By AURON570

Yes it annoys me as well. 

What annoys me even more is when people ask "Should I buy this game, or that game?" Jeez, iduno? If money isn't an issue then buy both! If it is, then just do some research on what each game is, decide which one you'll enjoy more, then buy that one. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#65  Edited By jakob187
@Killjoi: I am opinionated.  However, a kid that can't even read an analog clock and says "how much minutes do I gots left?"...I mean, sorry, but I don't see my opinion being comprehended by this child.  In the instance of that specific Gears kid...he said to me "I like games with a lot of blood and guns and stuff".  That's his sole qualifier.  I put in Red Faction Guerrilla, and he didn't like it because he couldn't cut someone in half. 

What it comes down to is I'm willing to give my opinion on something, but I would rather that people used at least a small portion of their brains.  Borderlands was a really difficult thing to deal with at our store.  Lots of people play Call of Duty, but most don't play RPGs unless they are playing WoW or DDO on the computers, maybe Fallout 3 on the 360.  Therefore, trying to explain to them "it's got the controls of Call of Duty, except it's an RPG like Diablo", they didn't understand it.  When they got onto the game, it wasn't five minutes before they were back at the counter saying "hey, how do you play online".  What they meant was "hey, how do we kill each other?".  That's what they expected.  I got them all into a co-op, and they only played for ten minutes before they wanted to change the game. 

How am I supposed to answer a question like "is this game good?" when there is NO clear answer for that other than saying "well, it got high review scores and sold a bunch, so sure?".  Even when I was a kid that age, I wasn't asking people "is that game good?". 

Maybe it's a different frame of mind.  I don't know. 

@Sir_Ragnarok: They could've cut about 35-40 minutes out of that movie and it would've been WAAAAAAY better, but I appreciate Lee's approach to the material not being supremely macho.  I also liked the casting a ton.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DystopiaX

it depends. If it comes from another gamer, no, because they want my opinion. 
If it's coming from a nongamer, they may be genuinely curious. Doesn't really bother me unless it's just a lead-in to "you're gay for liking that game", but I rarely get that anyway.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By fugie7

not really if they want my opinion ill give it to them.  

Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dirty_Harry

No. Some of my friends play lots of games but are not really into these kinds of sites. so when they ask me about some games i find it fun to tell them what they should be looking out for, because i know what kind of games they are into and that might save them a bunch of money.

legoland12342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By legoland12342

No, I can't say that I can.  Legitimately, someone asked for my opinion.  In my strange and convoluted mindset, I am thereby obligated to provide my opinion.  I am also a on-the-fly thinker, where I don't exactly think about what I'm going to say before it spills out of my mouth.  In some cases, that's bound to offend people.  I respect their views and want to validated said views, but I don't always do that.

Case in point: You've been talking about Borderlands quite a bit.  If someone asked me if I thought Borderlands was good, it would be a "Yes, but..." type of response.  On the whole, it was a good game.  It effectively combined the astronomically popular first-person shooter mechanic with the Diablo-style loot frenzy that made it fun.  It's innovative, quirky, and unique, which is why it falls into the "specific demographic" bin.  That's obvious, right?  However, because it is those three things, you'd have to cautiously recommend it.  If someone was looking for CoD-esque shooting, Gears-based cover mechanics and realism, or something along those lines, you could provide them with their request, so long as you were at a combat section.  Shortly afterward however, there's "nothing left to do."  There is no guiding light that directs them onward to the next fight area.  No, Borderlands is a specific game that was designed to pander to such demographic that had experience in sandbox games, shooters, and RPGs.

But that doesn't solve the problem, does it?  No two games are alike.  Even at the height of the WWII-shooter genre, each individual game brought something different, something unique to the table.  While the core mechanics of the game hadn't necessarily changed, there was something different about each game.

Basically, whether or not a game is "good" depends on the context.  I don't particularly care for MW2, because of the mediocre story and the rehashed multiplayer.  I am thoroughly enjoying a game such as Infinite Undiscovery because while it's like an action RPG (not really, but kinda), it still manages to pull off the good story.  Many people would disagree with me, thus illustrating the flawed concept of "good."

As for the response to the question, "Is this game good?" tell them a complaint and a good point you noticed with the game, then let them try it out for themselves.  You're not explicitly stating whether or not it's good, nor are you giving enough of your own opinion to influence the kid's.

Roundtree_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Roundtree_X
@Bubahula said:
" it can be really annoying, sometimes i will explain what a games is and ask if they like that kind of game, other times i just say yes. "
Same here, but I write for the locale magazine  here and some people recognize me from it...then I have have to give an in-person review if I've played the game. Some time everything goes well and they thank me....other times, I run into fan-boys and message board idiots.....You don't wanna meet them in person.   
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By Skald

No, it's an honest question.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

Tell those casuals to back the fuck up, and go buy a Wii or something.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Kohe321

Nah not really. Like if some dude walked up to me in a store and asked me if uncharted 2 was good I would just answer a short "yes". Taste is taste, but that is a good game for the majority of people who like games.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Funzzo

No, people know I play lots of games so when they ask me if a game is good or not I tell them "in my opinion this game is..." I say that because my opinion is not fact and they should play a game for themselves to see if they like it.
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Nasar7

Hate that question. What is "good" is such a subjective matter when it comes to entertainment.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Evilsbane

I actually have a default response to this according the to situation:

If I did like [Game] and most think its good: Its great if you like [genre] you should love it. 

If I did not like [Game] but most think its good: I personally did not enjoy it but if you like [genre] you could have fun with it. 

If I did like [Game] but most think it sucks: I Personally loved it but it may not be your cup of tea, if you Really Really like [genre] try it 

If I did not like [Game] and most think it sucks:  I whisper "Rogue Warrior" in their ear.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By iam3green

sometimes it annoys me. when i suggest a game they will think that it is a bad game. it gets weird saying yes i think it is a good game but they don't. sometimes my friend is like hey i want to borrow a 360 game and look at my games and can't find any because he thinks that they are all crap.  i have like AAA games (around 8 ratting).

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#78  Edited By LordAndrew

Often, I haven't played the game they're asking about, but I tend to tell them "Other people seem to like it, so maybe you will too."

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#79  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

To me it depends on who is asking the question. If I'm answering to someone who I know is very familiar with the world of video games and who I trust to understand the concept of differing opinions then I'll give them a yes or no based on how I feel about the game and perhaps explain a little more why I do or do not like the game. If it's someone who knows absolutely nothing about video games and I know is just trying to ask out of interest or to make conversation then I'll usually give them a fairly simple response about how much I liked the game. 

The only real problem I have with this question is the awkward middle-ground where I'm asked this question by the kind of person who only plays games for the "macho factor" or because all their male friends do. Granted this situation has been pretty rare but when it has arisen I've felt my heart sink a little, not only because in these situations it doesn't seem like the person asking the question will understand that opinions can differ over a video game but also because I don't think they could understand why I think a game is good when they mainly play games because they are popular or are heavily violent. How do you explain the genius gameplay and clever take on Mario a game like Briad presents to a person who you don't think would understand why you'd play a game with bright colours and no violence?

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By AgentofChaos

No I don't because I say I think things are shit all the time. However, I am saying the wrong words. Instead of saying a game is "shit" I should say I don't like it.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81  Edited By dbz1995

I always say 'it depends'.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#82  Edited By Trilogy
@KaosAngel said:
So instead of him playing an actually good game you redirected him to a piece of shit because you're pissy about halo 2 outselling ut2k4? Yea i would say there's a lot wrong with you because of that.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#83  Edited By Tireyo
@Synthballs said:
" No, if people want my opinion I'll give it. "
This.
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#84  Edited By Atlas

Absolutely not. If you love simple modern online competitive first person shooters, I will recommend Modern Warfare 2, even though I despise it. But if I'm passionate about one game over another, I will definitely let them know. In the MW2 scenario, I would conditionally recommend Battlefield: Bad Company 2, a game I prefer considerably. My opinion doesn't overlap with everyone elses. I think Virtua Fighter 5 is the best current gen fighting game, but I'm not going to recommend it to someone with only a basic interest or understanding of fighting games, instead I recommend Street Fighter IV or Tekken 6, because those games are more accessible easier to pick up and play. I have the time to spend 50 hours immersing myself in Dragon Age: Origins. Others don't, so to them I recommend Mass Effect 2, even though in my mind Dragon Age is a better game. It's all conditional.

When discussing whether a game is good or not, you need to take three things into account:

• How you feel about it
  • How other gamers feel about it
  • How the critics feel about it
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#85  Edited By rjaylee

No, because I'm not a complete asshole.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ProfessorEss
@heatDrive88 said:

" No, because I'm not a complete asshole. "

Haha, well played sir.
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Chirag4

No, I generally try not to be an uptight asshole. If someone asks me if something's good, I'll say yes or no and then I'll explain why I feel that way.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By rjaylee
@ProfessorEss:
Haha, I mean really, how hard is it to say "sure, I liked it" or "not really, wasn't my kind of game" or even "sorry, don't know". 

If people totally want to nerd out and go into specifics, that's totally up to the question that was being asked or your own response. But by no means should anyone get annoyed and act like a total prick.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89  Edited By Milkman

I totally see what you're talking about and agree completely. That question is the worst, second only to "What's that game about?".

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#90  Edited By spankingaddict

not really,but its annoying when somebody thinks its stupid to like a certain game i like when they never even played it!....GOD I HATE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By riffingt0n

You really ought to have entitled this thread "Do you get annoyed when you're forced to interact with people you can't stand".  I think working in that job has colored your impressions of normal human discourse in a bad way.  In general, if someone asks if something "is good or bad", that isn't an unreasonable request. It's a vague lithmus test sort of question and it's generally understood that different people have different opinions and it should be taken as such.  But being patently annoyed when someone asks your opinion that way is... I'm afraid.. snobbery.

Considering what you do for a living, what you need is some kinda of pat response to these kids that is general enough that they might understand it but doesn't implicate you, since it sounds like you're mostly worried about being personally held to their superficial standards.  "Most people like it. It's kinda like X."  Keep it short and impersonal.  Maybe add "I enjoyed it" if you want.  Those are all reasonable response to the question.  

The problem you're having is that the kids aren't worth spending the time on them and don't really know how to act, I think you have to find some way to cope with that problem, because it's embittering you in a bad way to a very reasonable kind of question

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By rjaylee
@Milkman said:
"I totally see what you're talking about and agree completely. That question is the worst, second only to "What's that game about?". "

Why is it so bad? It's an honest question from an uninformed person, as honest as it is to ask if a game is good or not. You really expect some soccer-mom to know 100% about a game when she's clearly just asking what a game is about so she can make an informed purchase for her kids? That's obviously a stereo-typical situation, but in any case, there's no need to be a cynical elitist dork.
Redux626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Redux626

I don't get annoyed, Now to get off topic, I remember this kid I don't remember his age but younger then me (17 at the time) And he was saying to his friends how Assassins Creed is one of the best games he's ever played and was trying to get one of his friends to buy this game. My dad was with me and asked why I didn't have that game (I was getting STALKER:Clear Sky) My response was: I didn't like the controls and while the graphics were indeed very good, The game its self felt like a tech demo, Like a- Look what we can do with graphics and animations. The Game Stop counter guy agreed with me. The kid didn't like that and continued to persuade his friend, I don't know if his friend got the game or not but eh, I don't mind giving my opinions on games. I mean if someone asks me HEY IS (STALKER ANY GOOD) I'll answer with Yes I do enjoy the game, But the game may not be for everyone, It's kind of slow at first and the learning curve is pretty steep for a FPS bla bla bla....I know too long.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By harinosho

i normally just give a thumbs up or thumbs down, if they ask why i point to a computer and say 

..."internet"...

yes, i have been called an ahole for doing this, but it works

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By kingkorn69
@jakob187 said:
" I hear this question on a daily basis:  "Hey, is that game any good?"  Most people may not know me very well, but some might - I'm a G-A-M-E-R.  I play all kinds of games, many games which the average person asking me that question have probably never heard of.  People always seem to find it rude when I tell them, "my definition of good and your definition of good are totally different".  I don't think that's a rude statement at all, as I also follow it with this statement:  "Ever heard of Katamari Damacy?  No?  I love that game.  You roll a ball around and pick stuff up.  That's it."  They think I'm joking when I say this, but I'm not.  In my line of work, you see tons of kids on a regular basis that think the idea of a "good" game is blood, guts, gore, violence, guns, shooting, death, murder, maiming, dismemberment...and don't get me wrong - I love that stuff.  I adore that stuff.  However, it is NOT what makes a good game.  There is so much more, and people are so unwilling to warp their senses just a tad bit and give in to F-U-N.  Instead, they want something that cusses seven hundred times in a minute and acts macho.  ...and when they ask me "is that game any good?", that's basically what they are asking...or so I assume.  So does it annoy anyone else when that question is asked of them, or is it seriously just me?  Give us some of your experiences.  I'm really curious to see how often this question comes up and what the typical replies are to it. "
I agree with almost alll that you said here dude well done.  But to be honest it doesn't bother me at all when someone ask if a game is good.  I have picked up on Mass Effect cause of this website and asking if I should play the game.  So in that sense I thinking asking if a game is good or not isn't that much of a bad thing!  But alot of people take out the F-U-N factor out of a game for no reason.  I also think the games don't have to be either ultra realistic or violent to be a great game.  I can play games that don't look like a picture and have more fun then I ever did.  So in my opion people should ask but also realize you are right it is only a single persons opion on weither a game is good or not!
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By bhhawks78

Op sounds like a jackass.  Don't talk to people about games or work at a game store then.  Some games are good, some aren't.  God forbid someone wastes 5 seconds of your day because they don't have the time/moneyt to buy and test every game.

Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Revelade

This thread is the sum of my experiences on game forums. 

I hate that question. A good game differs from person to person. Gametrailers gives Killer7 a 6.1 out of 10. I'd rate it a 10 out of 10. Numerous websites rate Phantasy Star Online 9 or 10 out of 10. I'd rate it a 1. The conclusion here is that I have very different tastes. 

What constitutes a game as good is subjective and debatable. For me, I either want an engaging story (like Mass Effect), breath-stopping atmosphere (like Resident Evil) or a game that has a huge amount of strategy (Halo Wars). But then I like Call of Duty 4... well maybe because I'm so damn good at it. 

The point here is that people need to play games and decide FOR THEMSELVES what is a good game or not. They need to look at games and find out what about the game that they truly desire. It makes me sad when people see poor reviews for a game they like and they suddenly start shouting that it's biased. Well no kidding sherlock, an opinion is bias. I don't even agree with the whole rating system here or anywhere. A 4 versus a 3 out of 5? Or Gamespot: what makes this 9.1 game worse than a 9.3 game? 

The only relevant rankings I would have would be an "audience" rating. Here there's a thumbs up/down system where people can click on and it measures percentages of each. Like it or don't. Simple. 

So my message to those posters: Stop being told what you like and figure it out for yourselves.

Avatar image for randominternetperson
RandomInternetPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SJSchmidt93 said:
" @KaosAngel said:

Fuck, did he fucking buy Rogue fucking Warrior? If he fucking did, fuck that's fucking cruel, man. 60 fucking bucks down the fucking drain. "
Watch your fucking langfuckage!
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By End_Boss
@jakob187: Although I understand the sentiment behind it, perhaps simply to avoid people thinking you're a dickbag all the time you should rephrase from "my definition of good and your definition of good are totally different" (as that belies, intended or not, a sense of assumed superiority) to "define 'good'". Who knows, maybe someone out there will surprise you with their answer.
graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By graf1k

Not at all. It's a bit perplexing when I hardly know the person and they ask me if I thought a game (or movie) was good. In those cases, I just respond something along the lines of "Well, I enjoyed it" or "I wouldn't recommend it". Now, if it's a friend who's opinions and tastes in such things I know pretty well or their tastes and mine are similar, I can go much more in-depth, relating things that are similar to other games I know they have played and liked or disliked and giving them an idea what they are in for.