Do you prefer buying a phyiscal or digital copy of a game? (Same price)

• 95 results
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I prefer having both. i.e. PC retail games that activate on steam or another download service. That's the perfect scenario. I don't have to wait hours for a game to download and it doesn't eat into my bandwidth limit, yet when I inevitably lose the box and disk I can redownload the game whenever I want.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By PhatSeeJay

If it's the same price I rather buy retail.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By shiftymagician

Whenever possible and if affordable to me, I will opt for a physical disc.  In the hypothetical scenario that a digital game provider goes down the drain (which can happen), I still have a physical copy for myself which I can install in with either the help of developers unlocking their games for use without the dead service, or by hackers with cracks to continue playing the products that I buy.

For now digital is definitely reliable and I often go that route for bargain deals on Steam at times, but as a rule I will never want to rely solely on any remote resources, which ain't just digital game distribution services.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wolverine

I prefer buying the digital version just because I want all of my media to live in the cloud and I don't want to have to worry about scratched discs. Also, I hate clutter.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Demyx

I only buy on steam because of sales, other than that, I would probably prefer retail.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Devil240Z

Digital. Fuck having more crap in my house.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

On one hand,you can give a game to a friend and never see it again...*sigh*
On the other you can show off....so yeah physical.
Oh and

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slaker117

Depends on the game. If it's some big release I like having the box, but I'd be totally fine going all digital.

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By nikral

Consoles I will only buy physical unless of course it is XBLA game.  
PC I usually don't tend to buy games unless they are on Steam or made by Blizzard (Which I get a physical copy because of their collectors editions and they do have download service)

Gamebite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Gamebite

This is starting to change for me. I would like to stop buying closets to put my games in :P On the other hand if you have digital copies you can't resell them to a vendor who supports that.

But i'll go for digital just because it will always be there. With a retail disc you run the danger of damaging the disc and me not like that!

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By YoungFrey

I'm not opposed to download versions of console games, but so far I have yet to see a 360 download that is cheaper than the disk.  And once you factor in that you can resell a disk for a little, the comparison is even worse. 
KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#13  Edited By KillyDarko

If we're talking same price here, then physical, of course :)

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sameeeeam

Digital. I don't like clutter in my house.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Butler

Physical. 

For whatever reason I'm illogically paranoid that one day companies will have an oopsies moment and deny all ownership of digital copies. So, I like to have the physical game in my hands to prove i own it.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

i like having the stuff on my shelf. to me, digital is only useful when its a portable device. but if its a console then i want the boxes on display i guess haha

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mfpantst

digital- I'm beyond having to use my optical drive often.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

it depends on which platform. if it's for consoles i'll buy physical but, if it's for PC then i will buy off of steam.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By weegieanawrench

Physical here. I don't buy very many games so clutter is not really an issue for me. And if it's the same price, then doubly so.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Akeldama
@MattyFTM said:
" I prefer having both. i.e. PC retail games that activate on steam or another download service. That's the perfect scenario. I don't have to wait hours for a game to download and it doesn't eat into my bandwidth limit, yet when I inevitably lose the box and disk I can redownload the game whenever I want. "
Exactly this.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust
@PhatSeeJay said:

" If it's the same price I rather buy retail. "

This right here.  I buy a lot more PC games digitally because they're priced so reasonably.  If I could buy the same games retail for the same price I would, but I don't think it's cost effective to sell Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic new-on-disc for $2.50 at Gamestop. 
isaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By isaiah

digital, I'm to lazy to drive to the store.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'd probably prefer the physical but get the digital, it's better for the environment.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vodun

They call me Bobby Digital...well they don't but you get the idea.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By louiedog

It depends on the price and platform. On PC I'd rather have the digital version. You can't trade/sell PC games easily because of one-time use keys.

At $60 I'd rather have the disc for console games but at $20 I'd rather have a digital download. If a game is $60 and I decide that it's not a game I need to keep after playing it, I'll sell it. I'm not interested in collecting and after several cross country moves I have no desire to keep lots of physical items. At $20 I'd rather have the digital copy. When I sit down to play a game I like being able to scroll through a list of what I own and decide what to play without disc swapping. When a game reaches that price the resale/trade-in value is usually so low that it isn't worth getting rid of.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Skald

If it's a computer game I want it on Steam. 

If it's a console game, I want it on a disc.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ProfessorEss

For the time being I prefer physical purely because when I really enjoy a game I like lending it to friends to see what they think of it.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By buft

If I'm paying the same I want the version I can use whenever I want, so its retail box all the way, when I buy a game digitally on a service like Live i expect to get some of the savings past to me since i already pay a fee that covers bandwidth and running of  the servers. so if they are saving on printing and packaging I should too.

E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By E_rock

It depends on the platform for me... 

x360 - physical only. 
PC - digital only. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Physical. Unless I'm getting some sort of significant discount, I want to have a physical object. Makes spending money more worthwhile if I have a real world object. 

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Twisted_Scot

If its a console game id by retail. Why pay the same price for something that costs them very little to distribute and nothing to package? Besides for the same price I can trade in the retail copy and get some cash back. I still laugh at XBL games on demand. Like im going to buy a 2 year old game digital copy for a full $49.99 when I can pick it up 2nd hand for $15 - $20. Pointless.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

same goes for music, i would rather own a physical copy rather than a digital one.  i think it's because of the real sense of ownership when i own a disk of some sort

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bybeach

Both, it was a real battle to decide whether to order crysis 2 digital or Phys. The ease of updating won me over, plus now my other 2 crysis are also digital. But in some ways digital leaves me suspect..I like having the hard copy, and updates can be had. 

Can't decide might have been applicable in this poll
vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#34  Edited By vager

Digital on the PC
Physical on the Consoles. 

I haven't had a a disc drive on my computer for years and I have no intention of changing that.

attaXwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By attaXwell
@Devil240Z said:
"Digital. Fuck having more crap in my house. "

Exactly this. I wish pricing was actually comparable (for consoles at least), but maybe one day it will get to that point.
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WickedFather

Ebay refuse to sell my downloaded games and I find them harder to part-ex.

j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By j_meyer_13

I prefer having a physical copy, but I think I prefer the actual action of buying to be with digital, since it's way easier and I'm lazy.  In an ideal world, you could buy a digital copy, and a physical one would be sent to you. :)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrKlorox

You forgot to mention if the digital version is on Steam or not. If we're talking about console games, I'm going with the physical copy.

edit: Portable games are best in digital form since you don't have to carry around a dozen or so carts/UMDs when you want some sort of variety.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#39  Edited By BeachThunder
@Devil240Z said:
" Digital. Fuck having more crap in my house. "
Definitely this. There's not really much reason having extra cases and discs and whatever other stuff lying around. Honestly, I'm much more interested in playing games than collecting them.
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jozzy
@j_meyer_13 said:
" I prefer having a physical copy, but I think I prefer the actual action of buying to be with digital, since it's way easier and I'm lazy.  In an ideal world, you could buy a digital copy, and a physical one would be sent to you. :) "
You know, that might not be a bad idea. You buy the game and you can download it immediately, for a small extra fee you can have a physical cope shipped to you as well. Of course they'd need some way to tie the physical one to your download or else you'll have 2 games for the price of one :)
ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG:
Whenever I see your avatar I think it's Pikachu. Only at second glance do I realise my mistake.
j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By j_meyer_13
@jozzy said:
" @j_meyer_13 said:
" I prefer having a physical copy, but I think I prefer the actual action of buying to be with digital, since it's way easier and I'm lazy.  In an ideal world, you could buy a digital copy, and a physical one would be sent to you. :) "
You know, that might not be a bad idea. You buy the game and you can download it immediately, for a small extra fee you can have a physical cope shipped to you as well. Of course they'd need some way to tie the physical one to your download or else you'll have 2 games for the price of one :) "
Naturally.  I doubt anything like this will happen, but like I said... ideal world.
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bhhawks78

Physical  

- I use gamefly for majority of my games 
- Unless it is bioware/rockstar or literally 5-8 $ I always resell my games.

skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By skinnyman
@Twisted_Scot said:
" If its a console game id by retail. Why pay the same price for something that costs them very little to distribute and nothing to package? Besides for the same price I can trade in the retail copy and get some cash back. I still laugh at XBL games on demand. Like im going to buy a 2 year old game digital copy for a full $49.99 when I can pick it up 2nd hand for $15 - $20. Pointless. "
Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zapbrader

Surprising number of people are for voting physical copies (myself included). We all should keep this in mind when next we hear someone describing how they dream of a purely digital generation in the future.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrKlorox
@j_meyer_13 said:

" @jozzy said:

" @j_meyer_13 said:

You know, that might not be a bad idea. You buy the game and you can download it immediately, for a small extra fee you can have a physical cope shipped to you as well. Of course they'd need some way to tie the physical one to your download or else you'll have 2 games for the price of one :) "
Naturally.  I doubt anything like this will happen, but like I said... ideal world. "
Some games work oppositely. If it's an EA game on PC, I'll often buy the physical copy since I can tie it to my EA Downloader account in case I ever lose it. This is the way all games from major publishers should work. Blizzard games do this, but regular-ass Activision games don't.

Or sometimes I'll buy one on sale from another digital store that I never use (such as Impulse or Gamers Gate or Direct2Drive) and just register the key with EA Downloader and never use the client for the service I bought it from. However if it ties to Steam, I'll just buy it on Steam instead since those games require Steam to play anyway.
sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sickVisionz

If the price is the same then I prefer a physical copy.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By JoeyRavn

I'd rather have a physical copy if the price is the same, mainly due to collectionist reasons, but nowadays I was using DVDs so little and so far between that I disconnected my DVD drive on my PC, so I can only buy digital. And, to be honest, I'm not bothered by it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Animasta

it's never the same I have never seen a physical copy cheaper than a digital copy on steam :)

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50  Edited By crusader8463

C: Both 

I prefer having the thing on my shelf and being able to pop in a DVD and install the game when ever I get the itch to play it, and not have to wait a day or two for the game to download, but I like knowing I will never have to worry about losing a CD key or have my disks break and be stuck with nothing to show for it but a cardboard box. Plus I live in the country, and the closest gamestore is an hours drive away. I don't feel like trying to bum a car from someone, paying for the gas or spending my time to drive for two hours every time I want to buy a game. Plus steam always sells games cheaper then anywhere else. 

Pretty much the only time I buy physical games any more though is when I buy a console game. And when that happens it's usually months after it has come out and is cheap, so I don't have to worry about the shitty shipping taking forever to get here. 

I can't wait for the day that I can buy any PC game boxed and have it install to my Steam account. I would happily pay an extra $5-$10 per game on steam if it meant they would ship me a boxed copy. Or better yet, I would be willing to pay $50-$60 a year if it meant any game I got on Steam was sent to me in a box too.