• 111 results
#1 Posted by Hargreaves93 (234 posts) -

I was just wondering because since I heard the wonder that are video game websites, I always used to buy magazines to keep me up to date on the news. Now the internet provides me with that information I no longer feel the need to buy them anymore. So I was just asking whether anyone on Giantbomb still buys magazines to do with games?

#2 Posted by VierasTalo (669 posts) -

I have an outstanding subscription to a finnish gaming magazine called Pelit. Best damn gaming journalism I've ever read.

#3 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

If Giantbomb issued a magazine I'd buy a lifetime subscription.

But no, I've long since stopped reading the paper versions of gameinformer, Gamepro, PCWorld, etc etc and just use their websites.

#4 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Occasionally. Mostly because of posters.

#5 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Nope. The internet killed the magazine.

#6 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

the only gaming mag i still buy is EDGE.  
but that is mainly out of habit as i've bought it since issue 1 and have all of them.  

#7 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

I do. EGM, Game Informer, and the occasional PC Gamer.

#8 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I used to buy a polish magazine called "PSX Extreme", but since I started using the internet as my primary source of gaming info I kinda stopped getting magazines. 

Since the internet always has an edge over magazines when it comes to delivering info (apart from exclusive content maybe, but there's not that much exclusive content in the polish gaming press, and even if there were I would just read about it on the net the next day anyway), the only reasons I'd consider buying a gaming magazine would be: the original content produced by the magazine's writers and maybe posters. And since giant bomb is the awesomest thing on the planet when it comes to original content, and if I really wanted to get a video game poster I'd certainly not choose one which is 42cm x 30cm and has a crease in the middle I just stick to my internet sources.

#9 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I stopped buying video game magazines(I was buying PC Mania) 7-9 years ago.

#10 Posted by Hostile (148 posts) -

I've been subscribing to Game Informer for $5-$6 per year since EGM went away. The covers are usually awesome and the cover stories are cool. I briefly had a GamePro subscription (signed on for 2 years but hadn't gotten a magazine yet at the time) but then heard John Davison was leaving and I cancelled. New EGM's first issue was just okay. New EGM's editors didn't appeal to me for the amount I would have had to pay and it just seems like a revolving door with people coming and going. Frankly I was a huge follower of the old 1UP.com/GFW a.k.a. CGW/EGM gang and most of them do stuff online if they're still doing game enthusiast press at all.

#11 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Yeah... I just signed up for a year of Game Informer for $25 for some reason... I think I wanted my lil bro to have something to browse through when I was using the PC.

#12 Posted by Willin (1279 posts) -

Game Informer because god dammit those cover stories!

#13 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

I have a subscription to EDGE. I'd highly recommend it, it's much better and more professional than any other game magazine I've read and I've read quite a few.

#14 Posted by JoeH (197 posts) -

I read EDGE cause I live in the UK and the slightly more industry focused angle they take is really interesting. The editorials are always top notch and they do great features.

#15 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

I haven't even looked at one in like five years. Been longer since I bought one.

#16 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Sub to PC Gamer

#17 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Nope, internet killed it all. I haven't bought a video game magazine in years, let alone subscribed to one.

#18 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

Gaming magazines was something worth reading while sitting on the toilet, iPad fixed that.

#19 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -

Yeah I get EDGE and Retrogamer. Both are excellently written and focus on a lot more than just news and reviews, so it makes them relevant in an otherwise dead market.

#20 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5374 posts) -

No, but I am tempted to get a Game Informer subscription for the covers.

#21 Posted by pweidman (2297 posts) -

Nope. The internet's just too convenient and timely. That and the publications I used to read just seemed to turn into hype machines for the industry, w/generally overinflated review scores.

#22 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

I buy the occasional Game Informer for while I'm on on the can, but usually I don't bother. I'll see a given magazine cover and realize it will be something I've seen weeks ago.

#23 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Bombs_Away: Ooh! Retro Gamer! Unfortunately I lost interest in it after the publisher change, but damn if that magazine didn't start me on the way into loving video game history.

I still get Maximum PC, but that isn't really a gaming magazine is it?

#24 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

I don't even live in the UK, but the only thing I read is EDGE. 

So glossy! 

Yeah I usually pick one up whenever I'm in a UK airport, which isn't very often

#25 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Still buy Power Unlimited every month, only worthwhile journalism in this country.

#26 Posted by wormz (140 posts) -

@VierasTalo said:

I have an outstanding subscription to a finnish gaming magazine called Pelit. Best damn gaming journalism I've ever read.

Me too. Been a subscriber since 94. Good hardcorey articles like some of the sim stuff. That's the only game related mag I get these days.

#27 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I don't like wasting money, so no.

#28 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -

Only when im in an Airport.

#29 Posted by TooSweet (377 posts) -

My game magazine purchases ended when GameFan stopped. Great mag. I had almost every issue until my mom decided to clean house one day. That was a sad day. I even found a hidden stash of it in my basement just two years back and when mom came by for a visit she decided to Spring clean the house. Out went my last copies. I miss the Monitaur and Post Meister. =(

#30 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

I used to get EGM back in the 1UP days. But now, no.

#31 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2559 posts) -

I still have two subscriptions: EDGE and Game Pro. I still read maybe 50% of the content in both because I find it easier to read long form discussions about game topics in print. I think we are two years away from some interesting uses of magazines on tablets that marry the best of print and electronic together. At this point, I do not think online sites do a good job with screen readability for the long form articles or page setup, and cutting down trees to talk about an interactive medium in a non-interactive way has obvious flaws. So I think once table computers with very high res screens take off a completely new era of magazine will take off that will actually make website seem like a step down.

#32 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -
Yeah I got Playstation The Official Magazine subscription.
#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Nah, paying a subscription to Whiskey Media, along with it's other bonuses, kills off ads, which is the part about magazines I hate the most, all these giant full-page ads that take up half the book.

#34 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

I get them all the time.

#35 Posted by Harbinger_Of_Hippos (224 posts) -

I still have a subscription to GamePro from quite some time ago, but I have no intention of renewing it when the time comes. I may eventually get a subscription to GameInformer again, but it's not all that likely. Interwebz for the win.

#36 Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

The last Nintendo Power I received is dated October 2009, which is about a year after I realized Nintendo Power is worthless compared to quality multi-platform online sites.

#37 Posted by BlackjackCF (20 posts) -

If I actually had money to, I'd subscribe to Kill Screen.

#38 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I stopped buying gaming magazines when I discovered the power the internet could hold.

#39 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

I was buying just about all of them. But as publishers are starting to copycat information from their own publications to fill space; I'm down to Gameinformer and GamePro.

#40 Posted by BlackjackCF (20 posts) -

Is there really a point to subscribe to gaming magazines anymore? I remember reading an article somewhere stating that most gaming magazines, though they total somewhere to 80-100 pages, only have about 10 pages of real content. The rest are just ads.

#41 Posted by SockemJetpack (407 posts) -

Used to read Gamefan when I was younger. I still have their issue with the badass Japanese boxart of Alucard on the cover for SOTN somewhere...

#42 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Sometimes, there is something better with magazines than internet.

I'm fan of Retro-Gamer.

#43 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Haven't bought one since I began using the internet as my primary source of news.

#44 Posted by Hector (3354 posts) -

I get GameInformer but only because GameStop offered it along the PowerUp card.

#45 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@BlackjackCF said:

Is there really a point to subscribe to gaming magazines anymore? I remember reading an article somewhere stating that most gaming magazines, though they total somewhere to 80-100 pages, only have about 10 pages of real content. The rest are just ads.

And you believe that? I could go and count the number of pages on EDGE that are 'real content' and it would total a whole load more than that.

#46 Posted by Portis (1285 posts) -

Hell no.

I do still buy other enthusiast magazines on occasion though.

#47 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Retro Gamer and old GameFans.

#48 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

I used to, but now all are free, wut :o

#49 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -
@JoeH said:

I read EDGE cause I live in the UK and the slightly more industry focused angle they take is really interesting. The editorials are always top notch and they do great features.

This is exactly what I wanted to write, Edge is a really great magazine.
#50 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:

Game Informer because god dammit those cover stories!