EA :I thank Miyamoto for training gamers, but now Apple does

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Where once young players learned from video games designed by Shigeru Miyamoto, they now pick up lessons in play from the touch screens of iOS devices.

"I thank Miyamoto for that," he said of the Nintendo designers historical contribution to games. "But he's falling down on the job. And for the past five years that job has been taken over by a dead guy from Cupertino."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-25-ea-weve-asked-for-too-much-time-too-much-skill-too-much-money

Looks like EA is really finished with Nintendo. You can not say somethig like that and go on like nothing happened. But I guess the truth is sometimes really harsh.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

EA's as guilty of fucking up as bad or worse than Nintendo, EA used to be a big deal, they are kind of a joke now.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: Yeah right, EA and Ubisoft are the best studios when looking exclusively at the big boys. EA has screwed up over the last couple of years but a lineup like BF4, Mirror's Edge 2, Dragon Age 3, another Mass Effect, Titanfall, etc beats just about everyone else. Nintendo has been going downhill since the N64 and Apple is mainly for sheep IMO.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By spraynardtatum

EA is a disrespectful pile of horse poop. How dare they disregard Miyamoto!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Very disrespectful to say that to a legend that basically saved the industry and paved the way to modern games. Even if it's true I find that comment very useless and disrespectful.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Darji

Very disrespectful to say that to a legend that basically saved the industry and paved the way to modern games. Even if it's true I find that comment very useless and disrespectful.

you should read the whole article XD

"And for the past five years that job has been taken over by a dead guy from Cupertino."

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he were retired I'd agree, but he's out there doing mediocre things. So he's like Jordan playing for the Wizards or Jay-Z right now... just go home and chill at your mansion if you can't do things that are better than your past work. No one is above criticism, even though this one in-particular wasn't very needed.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It maybe disrespectful but he is right. Nintendo is not creating anymore new gamers. Children these days have rather a IOS device than a Nintendo console.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Oh man, starting off the thread calling Apple buyers "sheep". Strong start. And disregarding the insane successes of the DS, 3DS, and Wii? lol

EDIT:

For the record:

DS sales (all models included): 154 million units as of June 30th, 2013. Best selling handheld platform of all time.

3DS sales: 33 million units as of June 30th, 2013.

Wii sales: 100 million units as of June 30th, 2013.

The Wii U is most certainly a disappointment but Nintendo has had easily 3 of their best selling consoles in the last 9 years.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So not only does he disrespect Miyamoto, he also refers to Steve Jobs as "a dead guy" in passing? Man, that's a pretty classy dude. But hey, he works at the company responsible for producing hits like Sim City 2013, and Dragon Age 2 so I can see why he's so cocky.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I'm not sure that article actually contained words that logically followed one another and made a coherent statement. He came across like a hippy dealing with acid flashbacks, which is about what he looks like also.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Oh, boy, this sounds like another quote taken out of context.

According to EA research, mobile games hold the attention for 90 seconds and PC games for 90 minutes, but consoles can keep engagement for two hours at a time.

"Once I get your butt on a couch, I can get two hours for sure. That granularity means I cannot build the same game on every platform. I cannot build Battlefield on every platform."

Next generation games consoles will be more focused on updates to software and services rather than hardware specs, which will scale back the reliance on physical sales and mean the systems will be in a constant state of evolution rather than staggered over time.

This guy thinks that user-generated content is what will drive the next generation of console games, not what has been made in-house. He's also saying that Nintendo and Miyamoto have fallen behind the times and can't really deliver in a modern market, a statement that isn't so far from the truth.

I don't completely agree with him, by the way. I think that next generation, we'll see a smattering of different and new things pop up all over the place, especially in terms of smaller and indie titles, but I don't think that the traditional single-player story and campaign is ever going to disappear. I think that's still what will drive most people to buy games and consoles, and the multiplayer and user-created content is what will keep people playing.

Also, I could have sworn that last generation was supposed to be the one where software took over and we didn't really need new consoles.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@darji said:

It maybe disrespectful but he is right. Nintendo is not creating anymore new gamers. Children these days have rather a IOS device than a Nintendo console.

Like how all gamers these days just want to play Call of Duty? Way to generalise.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Darji

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji said:

Like how all gamers these days just want to play Call of Duty? Way to generalise.

No that has nothing to do with it. Children to not grow up anymore with a Nintendo device but rather a one from apple. It is the truth. Nintendo is only still alive because of nostalgia not because they are creating new gamers. Times have changed and Nintendo is still not really aware of that. And even if 2 or 3 people still grew up with a Nintendo device. It means nothing anymore.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This guy thinks that user-generated content is what will drive the next generation of console games, not what has been made in-house.

Did I miss something? There's nothing about user generated content in there.

All I see is a once-revolutionary guy way past his prime, buried in stagnating franchises, trying to justify making EA games more like free to play games.

Sad.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, starting off the thread calling Apple buyers "sheep". Strong start. And disregarding the insane successes of the DS, 3DS, and Wii? lol

EDIT:

For the record:

DS sales (all models included): 154 million units as of June 30th, 2013. Best selling handheld platform of all time.

3DS sales: 33 million units as of June 30th, 2013.

Wii sales: 100 million units as of June 30th, 2013.

The Wii U is most certainly a disappointment but Nintendo has had easily 3 of their best selling consoles in the last 9 years.

I'm guessing you're referring to me since you quoted "sheep"? I don't think anyone who has an Apple product is a sheep, but anyone who treats (or used to treat) them like they were holy or something are annoying. They don't have the best phone, computer, or really anything else. It's just a prestige/materialistic thing like driving a boring looking Benz.

For Nintendo, I was talking about quality. Between Sony, MS, EA, Ubisoft, 2K, etc they've had the worst lineup of games for the last gen and this new one so far. I don't own Nintendo stock so I don't care about their numbers.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji said:

No that has nothing to do with it. Children to not grow up anymore with a Nintendo device but rather a one from apple. It is the truth. Nintendo is only still alive because of nostalgia not because they are creating new gamers. Times have changed and Nintendo is still not really aware of that. And even if 2 or 3 people still grew up with a Nintendo device. It means nothing anymore.

Again, see the sales of the DS, 3DS and Wii for evidence that your statements are blatantly false.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Darji

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji said:

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji said:

Again, see the sales of the DS, 3DS and Wii for evidence that your statements are blatantly false.

See the sales of IOs devices? 3ds is only really strong in Japan and that's it. Everywhere else they are behind Nintendo's predictions. The last report I heard and saw was like 68% of 12 year olds have an IOS device. These kids do not know who mario is but know about Minecraft. Times have changed. The wii was a fad because of a new control method to get people to play who never played. But that is over.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Seems a little weird to call Miyamoto out specifically (rather than just Nintendo), given how the guy's been winding down for a while.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Thoseposers
pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pyrodactyl

@kidavenger said:

EA's as guilty of fucking up as bad or worse than Nintendo, EA used to be a big deal, they are kind of a joke now.

yeah, I'm sure Battlefield 4, dragon age 3, Madden, Fifa and Destiny will be huge bombs. No one wants those right?

Saying EA is now a big joke is internet hive mind nonsense.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji said:

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji said:

See the sales of IOs devices? 3ds is only really strong in Japan and that's it. Everywhere else they are behind Nintendo's predictions. The last report I heard and saw was like 68% of 12 year olds have an IOS device. Times have changed. The wii was a fad because of a new control method to get people to play who never played. But that is over.

This is complete nonsense and you know it. It was Amazon's most preordered console ever in the UK. It's also the fastest selling console ever in Australia. It's a great handheld with fantastic games. And iOS device sales are not directly comparable to 3DS sales because they are not things you buy exclusively for games. Comparing the sales of a handheld console that only plays games to a cell phone or tablet is stupid.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji said:

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji said:

See the sales of IOs devices? 3ds is only really strong in Japan and that's it. Everywhere else they are behind Nintendo's predictions. The last report I heard and saw was like 68% of 12 year olds have an IOS device. Times have changed. The wii was a fad because of a new control method to get people to play who never played. But that is over.

This is complete nonsense and you know it. It was Amazon's most preordered console ever in the UK. It's also the fastest selling console ever in Australia. It's a great handheld with fantastic games. And iOS device sales are not directly comparable to 3DS sales because they are not things you buy exclusively for games. Comparing the sales of a handheld console that only plays games to a cell phone or tablet is stupid.

You should read Nintendo's financial reports. They will tell you the exact same thing. Even Nintendo is saying that and the reason for that according to Nintendo again are IOS and mobile devices.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@kidavenger said:

yeah, I'm sure Battlefield 3, dragon age 3, Madden, Fifa and Destiny will be huge bombs. No one wants those right?

It's not any different than the weekly shitting on Nintendo this forum deems necessary. If you guys really think any of EA's franchises can even hold a candle to Mario/Zelda/Metroid, you're fucking demented.

Nintendo's in a big hole right now, no doubt, but EA was there just a few years ago, and they really haven't dug themselves out of it yet.

Honestly, If EA just shut their faces and buckled down and made games that weren't complete garbage, they wouldn't get half the hate they do.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji said:

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji said:

You should read Nintendo's financial reports. They will tell you the exact same thing. Even Nintendo is saying that and the reason for that according to Nintendo again are IOS and mobile devices.

Obviously iOS usage is cutting into Nintendo's market share but it's not going to sink them. The 3DS is still highly successful. 33 million units sold in 2 and a half years is nothing to look at and say "Well, Nintendo is fucked!"

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss
Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Darji

@kidavenger said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@kidavenger said:

yeah, I'm sure Battlefield 3, dragon age 3, Madden, Fifa and Destiny will be huge bombs. No one wants those right?

It's not any different than the weekly shitting on Nintendo this forum deems necessary. If you guys really think any of EA's franchises can even hold a candle to Mario/Zelda/Metroid, you're fucking demented.

Nintendo's in a big hole right now, no doubt, but EA was there just a few years ago, and they really haven't dug themselves out of it yet.

Honestly, If EA just shut their faces and buckled down and made games that weren't complete garbage, they wouldn't get half the hate they do.

Saleswise they easily outsell a Zelda or Metroid (lol) But that is all Nintendo has left anyway. As for quality it is a taste thing. I had more fun with Battlefield 3 or Dragon Age Origins than with the last Mario zelda or metroid games of the last 10 years.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@darji said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji said:

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji said:

The funny thing is, no one is denying that iOS hasn't cut into potential 3DS sales. It's common sense - the DS was a cheapish system at a time when smartphones barely existed that had the types of games that appeal to a casual audience far beyond the typical audience for these systems. The people that made the DS the best selling handheld of all time bought it for shit like Brain Age, and they probably won't come back because Angry Birds gives them exactly what they want. But so the fuck what? You're really gonna tell me that a system that has sold 33 million units in two-and-a-half years and shows no sign of slowing down (Pokemon ain't even out yet) is somehow a failure? That they need to outsell a cell phone in order to be validated in your eyes? Sounds like you need to get your expectations way in check.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By JasonR86

lol

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:
@darji said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji said:

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji said:

The funny thing is, no one is denying that iOS hasn't cut into potential 3DS sales. It's common sense - the DS was a cheapish system at a time when smartphones barely existed that had the types of games that appeal to a casual audience far beyond the typical audience for these systems. The people that made the DS the best selling handheld of all time bought it for shit like Brain Age, and they probably won't come back because Angry Birds gives them exactly what they want. But so the fuck what? You're really gonna tell me that a system that has sold 33 million units in two-and-a-half years and shows no sign of slowing down (Pokemon ain't even out yet) is somehow a failure? That they need to outsell a cell phone in order to be validated in your eyes? Sounds like you need to get your expectations way in check.

1. Nintendo is saying the same thing

2. It is only in the western world. in Japan the 3DS is strong as hell. And there is really no slowing down there.

3. What great sale sin the last months have you seen for the 3DS? It may have been a strong start but snince then they went downhill. Why do you think they are now having a 2Ds announced?

I am not saying it is not successful. The PSP was successful as well. But that's it. It will never reach the sales the DS had not even close. And the Wii U is already a joke. They are at the end of the line.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ProfessorEss

@mariachimacabre said:

I'm not saying they do. They aren't comparable devices in the vast majority of aspects. No one buys an iPhone instead of a 3DS. The app store shouldn't be seen as direct competition so much as a constant they, and other games companies, now have to live with.

No, but many are buying their kids an iPod touch instead of a 3DS putting the App Store, a store where most games cost between one to three dollars, in direct competition.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@darji: Nintendo doesn't budget their costs to sell games on multiple platforms. They don't need to sell COD numbers on three consoles for a game to be profitable.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a lie. They develop and publish most of the top selling games year after year, and they still make some of the best games on the market. Madden 25 and FIFA 14 are at the top of their game.

Anyway, everything else is true, Nintendo is dead, Apple is the future.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@mariachimacabre said:

I'm not saying they do. They aren't comparable devices in the vast majority of aspects. No one buys an iPhone instead of a 3DS. The app store shouldn't be seen as direct competition so much as a constant they, and other games companies, now have to live with.

No, but many are buying their kids an iPod touch instead of a 3DS.

Maybe, but iPod sales are slowing now that phones have the same functionality and more. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the iPod (and MP3 players in general) being pretty much phased out sooner rather than later. Hell, they didn't even bother announcing a new iPod at the Apple event a few weeks back.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@darji: Nintendo doesn't budget their costs to sell games on multiple platforms. They don't need to sell COD numbers on three consoles for a game to be profitable.

If they did they would be not so much in trouble., Again I believe the only way to save Nintendo is going out of the hardware market and become 3rd party.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

This. Hell, they don't even hire voice actors for their games! dat cost cutting.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss

@mariachimacabre said:

Maybe, but iPod sales are slowing now that phones have the same functionality and more. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the iPod (and MP3 players in general) being pretty much phased out sooner rather than later. Hell, they didn't even bother announcing a new iPod at the Apple event a few weeks back.

That's because the new iPhone is cheaper than an iPod now :P

Sure it's a little more expensive than a 3DS, but one game purchase evens that up.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@mariachimacabre said:

Sure it's a little more expensive than a 3DS, but one game purchase evens that up.

Yeah. The current iPod touch is $80 more than a 5S on a plan. Completely insane pricing on Apples part. I see no reason for them to exist at that price. I'M TELLIN YOU MAN. Gone in less than 5 years.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hailinel

@mcfart: It's not about cost-cutting. It's about budgeting what you can afford to see a return. And plenty of Nintendo's games feature voice acting even though EAD doesn't use it very much.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Darji, I am through with you. You're only capable of spouting numbers and stats without taking the time to understand context or basic business realities. You rarely display the notion that you indeed understand what you're talking about and serve more to derail threads with your obliviousness than anything. That goes for console sales, sexism debates, everything.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ProfessorEss

@professoress said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Yeah. The current iPod touch is $80 more than a 5S on a plan. Completely insane pricing on Apples part. I see no reason for them to exist at that price. I'M TELLIN YOU MAN. Gone in less than 5 years.

I agree I'm just saying (and don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about this) don't be surprised if the game-only (especially the 40-dollar-game-only) option goes the same way as the music-only option in a similar time-frame.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@darji: Darji, I am through with you. You're only capable of spouting numbers and stats without taking the time to understand context or basic business realities. You rarely display the notion that you indeed understand what you're talking about and serve more to derail threads with your obliviousness than anything. That goes for console sales, sexism debates, everything.

Even Nintendo is saying that. What is there not to understand. Seriously read the financial reports from Nintendo. They are competing with IOS devices if you want it or not. The context does not even matter. It is the same market they compete with. And again it is a success not a failure but the PSP also was a success and not a failure.

Nintendo is not the top pf the game anymore they are just another company.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smartass comments like that is why I will always support Nintendo and never EA. EA can go fuck themselves.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You're going to be haunted by that dead man, motherfucker.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jdh5153

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

Even Nintendo is saying that. What is there not to understand. Seriously read the financial reports from Nintendo. They are competing with IOS devices if you want it or not. The context does not even matter. It is the same market they compete with. And again it is a success not a failure but the PSP also was a success and not a failure.

Nintendo is not the top pf the game anymore they are just another company.

iOS is killing the mobile gaming market (mainly because it's better at it). I highly doubt there will ever be another generation of handheld gaming devices.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professoress said:

@mariachimacabre said:

It's not insane pricing. The unsubsidized cost of an iPhone is $550+. There is no hardware subsidy on iPods, therefore you don't get a discount. They're fine devices for kids whose parents don't want them to have a cell phone yet. For everyone else the iPhone is the way to go.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153: And you believe that because...?

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jdh5153

@hailinel said:

@jdh5153: And you believe that because...?

Fact. Better graphics, better games (and more), more functionality on an iPad than any lame gaming device.

There's a reason more people game on iOS devices than any other device.