Editorial: Why We Write: On Game Critique, Influence, and Reach

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

So, a little further away from the extreme of “forcing” a dev to do something is arguing for action or incentives that would encourage them to act differently. Let's call these "incentive" legislation. Here, think about tax credits or media funds built to support to creators that meet certain requirements, like employing a diverse range of employees, working in a certain medium, or producing a work that is a “public good” because it deals with history, education, or some other interest. You’ll see critics calling for things like this sometimes, but it’s not common in our little corner of the world; I'm pretty sure it’s not a thing I’ve ever done (though I'm not fundamentally opposed).

This is a biggie here, that bigotry (helloooooooooooooooo Star Wars trailer!) and just the general "unease" with being what isn't oneself or percieved as normal for oneself to be* has in its In Box: how to make this desired enough to be PROFITABLE. Watch the Women's World Cup addition to recent Fifa games, or the realization of just how much freaking money women spend on games. Shining lights on the bigots seeking to shame or peer pressure people into not harshing their worldview gets us here (or maybe too few want women's soccer and it flops. Be ready).

Speaking of which, that "Why Witcher?" is specifically my problem. The entire push behind it isn't wild eyed Berzerkley spawn vs. caveman mouthbreathers, it's about just this angle alone of a series deeply steeped in one region's myth, legend, and history getting the question. The above paragraph, quite frankly is much more dangerous a club-swinging giant than this windmill, and I hope it fades before folks keep expending far too much effort ante-ing up on one side of this or the other.

*note: Chillicothe does not self-insert and bases protags on understandability, coolness, or attractiveness

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@getwimmy said:

@falling_fast: I'm sorry you feel that way, falling_fast. I wish you wouldn't be so dismissive of other people's feelings. But, quite frankly, you're expressing an extremely hurtful sentiment that is also missing the point. This piece is less about games than it is about representation in general. You could replace every instance where Austin wrote "developer" with "creator" and this piece would more or less whole-cloth transfer over to any artistic medium.

I wish I had the ability to look up decent figures to cite a source, but the general consensus (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2009/sep/27/videogames-hollywood) has been that games are surpassing cinema in terms of reach and revenue. Take that as a given, if just for a moment. Would that make discussions about representation in movies less worthy of discourse than games?

What do you think "really matters"? Then, once you answer that question, take the second thing you respond with. Why should it be considered worthy of response, effort, or critical thought at all, when the first thing you responded with still exists? Do you see the dangerous path thinking like this can lead to?

Well said.

BroodLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#353  Edited By BroodLord

This is a great piece of intellect.
Keep up the good work!

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: I can attempt to answer your question. First, some background: I was born in the U.S. in 1970, to a Canadian mother & an American father. My mother returned to Canada in 1973 and my brother & I became citizens. The CRTC was established in 1968, so I never knew any other context for broadcast media.

I think it's fair to say that Canadian Content laws were intended to protect both culture and commerce. However, I also think it's fair to say that they have stronger support from Canadian artists than they do from most privately-owned Canadian broadcasters. In the 1970's & 1980's, CanCon laws probably had their greatest impact on radio (as opposed to television), programming.

Before the CRTC, music written and/or performed by Canadian artists was rarely heard on commercial radio stations. Outside of CBC Radio, it was usually relegated to 'Beaver Hours' in the very early morning when few people were listening. This meant that the airwaves were flooded with music from the U.S. (& to a lesser extent the UK), and it was difficult for Canadian musicians to make a living in Canada - culture and commerce.

Growing up, I heard a lot of music that met the MAPL criteria - far more than my mother had when she was young. Back then the requirement was smaller, but it still meant that broadcasters couldn't get away with just endlessly replaying the American Top 40 hour after hour. It allowed for an expanded catalogue of songs and artists getting airplay and wider internal recognition of just how good the Canadian music scene actually was (and is).

Sure, there will always be Canadians joking that we don't have a national identity, but that's largely because good-natured self-deprecation & humility is a part of our national identity.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@austin_walker said:

@jiggajoe14: Thanks for digging into this stuff and being open minded. And hey, you named three of my absolute favorite shows ever, so. (I haven't seen Mushishi yet!)

Yeah I'm definitely trying to improve on this stuff. It's too easy to stick with the kneejerk reaction. Can't wait for you to challenge me more in the future!

And Mushishi is super chill and relaxing (and the 1st season is totally on hulu). I think you'll love it! :)

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@turambar said:
@yothatlimp said:
@planetfunksquad said:

@aromaticflower: Listen, I'm totally with you on class being the larger problem with our country, and I'm more than on board with ousting the Tory scum, but the Tories have a majority. UKIP got more votes than everybody but the Tories and Labour (it didn't translate into seats thank god, but theres no denying that thats worrying). If you put a Muslim Pakistani man in a room with a Tory voting white man you'd best believe that conversation will come down to race, as much as the Tory might insist that it isn't. Race is a big deal here, like it or not. It's more subtextual here than in America definitely but that doesn't mean that it isn't a massive factor in our country's recent history.

And yes, I've been to America. Yes, the climate is more palpable there. But if you walk into a pub in Salford, where i'm from, and don't manage to over hear a conversation by a group of white guys about "Sharia law" or burkas or some shit I'll buy your drinks all night.

I think that is a universal thing in the 'West', there has been a very pervasive rising anti-Islamic sentiment since 9/11, it's pretty scary.

It's hardly American or European either. Tension between Muslims and Buddhists in countries like Myanmar are at a height. There's also been an ever increasing amount of tension between Weigers and Han Chinese in Western China that's led to plenty of blood shed for about as long as I can remember paying attention.

That is interesting, thanks I'll have to do some reading.

Deltan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Canadian, I support our content regulation and policies surrounding culture. It actively protects our culture. Without trying at all, the US media influence can easily overrun and eventually displace our own home produced content. The US can under-cut Canada in everything we do: price, scope, scale and technical. Canada is 10% the population of the US with all the same land mass and expected infrastructure for modern life. It's expensive to produce content that is uniquely Canadian, even with government subsidies. It wouldn't exist in a market place where the audience for home content is so small and the US content is cheap. I'm glad we try to take measures to protect our culture here, while still offering Canadians access to US content as well.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@mariusaquarius said:

I'm glad I don't take videogames this serious. I am sad that smart and engaged people do. The important changes those people could make in society.

If smart and engaged people didn't take games seriously, there would be no games.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the bit on Cultural Imperialism.

Cultural Imperialism looks like Hollywood and Coca-Cola. It pushes it's way in by bending over backwards to "fit it" and then overwhelms the local culture. Go to 10 different countries and you'll find 10 sets of McDonalds ads very specifically meant to appeal to the national identity of that specific place.

illandhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the great write-up Austin, insightful and thoughtful, keep it up.

pfgkarlsson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for this great piece Austin. Can't wait to here more from you moving forward.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad I don't take videogames this serious. I am sad that smart and engaged people do. The important changes those people could make in society.

The games industry is more financially powerful than Hollywood. Games are at least as important a part of modern culture as any other medium, and deserve the same level of respect.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariusaquarius said:

The games industry is more financially powerful than Hollywood. Games are at least as important a part of modern culture as any other medium, and deserve the same level of respect.

Truth.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Great read, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nothing to add but echoing all the praise - this essay is fantastic; thank you for this Austin; really happy you're a part of the team now; etc.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing! looking forward to more of these. Austin Walker straight changing the game.

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claiming "better representation" leads to token race characters, which is BY FAR the most damning thing about political correctness, and the one thing, as someone who was raised in a multicultural third world country, always makes my eyes roll when I see American media.

Wandzat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yo put some more lines on that plot and you've got yourself an identity matrix. Then the talk about race/sex/gender/class can really get going.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By Homelessbird

@dstopia: Do you sincerely believe that it's impossible to include minority characters in media without tokenism? Which, by the way, is hardly a uniquely American phenomenon.

I don't think anyone is asking for developers to put a black guy in every game and then call it a day.

RenegadeMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By RenegadeMike

I cannot put into words what it means to me personally to have someone on staff who will write about this. Myself and a couple others like community member Truth Tellah have written forum posts along these lines, but I have a job that prevents me from sitting down and writing about it more. This issue is too important not to talk about, especially now with all of the things happening on the ground here in the States with issues around diversity.

For the longest time I felt, due to various reasons (many of which not nefarious in any way from all outward appearances) that the only person talking about similar issues was Patrick and when he brought these issues up he was chastised for it. Maybe not always here in the community comments but to deny that he got heat for it is disingenuous ( I am not referring to any particular comment here just in general). Even when Patrick was talking about this many still felt that it was all talk, because the only diversity GB had in its content were guests that were sparsely invited to be on the morning show that Patrick and Alex did. As well as the occasional guest, mainly Samantha Kalman, (Mary Kish occasionally) on UPF, but typically only seen on big events like E3 coverage and cons. which was maybe 4 times a year.

My point being, that due to this neglect, many started feeling that GB didn't care about diversity. Therefore, people like me started to talk about why diversity is so important to people here on the forums (mainly to make ourselves feel better in some obscure nerdy way). It didn't always go well for some who stuck their necks out.

Therefore, it means so much more now that they hired Austin. He not only wants to talk about this issue but he is able to articulate the problem in an intelligent and objective way using academic style and level of detail. Something I only aspired to do with my pitiful College level honors english intellect (which isn't always evident since I badly need an editor).

Since words can not express every emotion I am feeling right now after reading Austins article, I will simply say...

Thank you Giant Bomb for hiring Austin Walker.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariusaquarius said:

And it will, in time. Possibly. The thing about this medium is that there's a lot more barriers to the player than if you sat down and watched a film. That's a much more passive experience with a lot less to think about. Gaming requires the player to understand controls and mechanics before they can even decide if they're enjoying it. And there's a bigger time investment.

It'll require a generational shift but in many ways the respect is already there. Its just coming from within. Even the financial success is some kind of vindication. Its also worth noting that this medium has moved spectacularly quickly in a relatively short space of time. In 20 years we probably won't know where the hell gaming is at. Or the people that play them.

ThomasCro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing, I no longer have to search elsewhere for a good read :D

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have great hopes for you, Austin. This post hits so many nails on the head. Keep expressing stuff this plainly and changes will happen. Pre-crushing the common replies is always good. Stops people from being able to just fling out their reactionary rage-lashes without at least coming up with some non-standard nonsense to base it off of.

I am ready for some social progress yalls!

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a really good read coming off of a late-night injection of Pervert's Guide to Ideology. Thanks, Austin. I disagree with tiny points here and there but I'm in no state to articulate why, and I'm glad you've become part of the team.

You were also great on the BEASTCAST!

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@jiggajoe14: There's certainly something to be said for experiencing a work and coming to your own conclusions before delving into the wealth of online reviews, interviews, analyses and think pieces about said work. Especially with TV shows - sometimes I just want to shut out the internet hate/hype machine and watch the show for what it is. I'm glad I didn't follow along with every little breadcrumb of info the creators of Lost sprinkled out as the series progressed, or dig deep into the endless fan theories about that show. Or obsess about reviews of every single episode, telling me what the show's doing right and wrong. I had my own opinions about those things, and it can be kind of frustrating if you're inundated by so many outside opinions while you're trying to experience something like that.

I don't really have the same attitude about games and games criticism, but information/opinion overload can still be a problem at times.

As for the original article, I always like seeing the point made that criticism of a work is not the same as hatred/dismissal/demonization of a work, its creator, or its medium as a whole.

The whole idea of "you criticized a game I like, that means you're criticizing me and are going to bring down video games as we know it!" is just so ridiculous.

Avatar image for the_interrupter
The_Interrupter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really great article.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Fantastic piece, Austin. Your ability top unpack and unravel issues without sounding condescending or dismissive is impressive. Keep on writing!

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#381  Edited By applegong

The Witcher 3 can have coloured characters when Mario have one. The Mario franchise over all these years have exponentially much influence on the gamers both young and old than the Witcher ever had, and not one bi-racial or minority character surfaced all this time, and no, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Bowser don't count.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Not sure if anyone else said it, but this feels like a bit like Game Crit Hulk. Without the caps. Pretty great.

jediautobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great piece.

Namoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@namoo: Quotes from UKIP politicians :

“islam is a cancer that needs eradicating multiculturism does not work in this country clear them all off to the desert with their camals that’s their way of life.”

“I visiting the city of Birmingham recently and felt like a foreigner in the city of my birth, all around me I could hear the sound of jabbering in an alien voice … we also have the Pakistani’ and the Somali’s. Tell me Mr Cameron Why? the men wear their Pyjamas.”

#ThingsAsianBoysDo groom and rape underage white girls, stab and rob innocent old white people, bomb innocent white people #EctEctEct [sic]”

“Most Nigerians are generally bad people… I grew up in Africa and dare anyone to prove me wrong.”

“Well, I reckon dogs are more intelligent, better company and certainly better behaved than most Muslims.”

And one on Romanians for good measure: “We are not just talking about pressure on services from immigration but also, and I have to say it, the crime associated with Romanians.”

Their policies may not have mentioned race, doesn't make a difference.

Let's see your sources for these quotes.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

The fundamental challenge of making a criticism without also making an attack on someone's worldview is to not make the assumption that if the individual were not misinformed, stupid, biased, or incorrectly socialized, that their opinions would be different. Something I have appreciate about your work versus some others' is the effort to emphasize the validity of counterarguments. This is very difficult to do without weakening your own argument, however, and therefore also the impetus for change therein. Nevertheless, those who do not make that effort should expect their provocation to be answered in kind. Some might say that "it's just one man's opinion" but there aren't many things you can criticize about a person than the way they think.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By Homelessbird
fayl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't worry so much about using the phrase "we" Austin. Fantastic article and I'm behind you 100%. Glad to see this sort of content and discussion coming to Giantbomb and I'm looking forward to whatever you tackle next.

smugfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Austin a lot now because he used and image of Metal Wolf Chaos in his article. Oh and the article itself was nice too.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, I love how open you are.

redsoundwaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a really good read Austin! There are so many other articles that you link to in this that it may keep me reading for a bit. I am glad that you wrote something about this though because there is not only a lot of people upset when people critically discuss issues by this but it seems like a lot of writers don't know how to respond back to their readers. A lot of people I read just shrug it off on twitter and laugh or they get upset but no one has responded in such an interesting and critical way. I keep becoming more excited with each article you write. Looking forward to see what else you come up with!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fantastic piece austin! you have a wonderful way of organizing your thoughts and reasoning. LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE OPPRESSIVE HEGEMONY OF THE ONTARIO LIQUOR BOARD; OR- FUCK THE BEER STORE.

cabbagesensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#392  Edited By cabbagesensei

Thanks for writing this Austin. If there is another follow up, can you talk about the ideas of "tokenism" and the developer not having the license to deviate from the original work (i.e. the books)? These seem like the remaining arguments that people keep throwing out in defense of the lack of PoC.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#393  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Dang @austin_walker, two weeks at GB and already dropping some mad editorial bombs. I'll echo the sentiment a lot of people are saying in the comments for this article by saying It's good to have you here at Giant Bomb. It's been a long time since I've read "one of these" sorts of articles without feeling like I'm being sermonized to.

In regards to the article itself, I'm probably not the right person to ask about minority representation in video games, but I did find myself nodding my head to your talk about why you write. I do some occasional user blogs/reviews here and aside from the obvious self-indulgence that comes with any sort of expressive writing I do a lot of it in the hope that I can influence someone with my opinion, even if my opinion is just "I don't think Massive Chalice is a very good game".

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#394  Edited By megalowho

So glad to see a piece on Giant Bomb that I knew I had to wait until I had the time to take it in properly in order to digest it fully.

I think your approach to criticism is right on. I feel part of the reason controversial articles elicit a visceral reaction is that even when intentions are good and honest, so much about the tone or angle an author takes with a piece says whether or not it's valid food for thought or easily dismissed. Especially if it's coming from a place the reader may not agree with in the first place.

There will likely always be a segment of the gaming audience that's interested in technical, story or design criticism but gets uncomfortable or even combative when social or issues deemed political become targets. In those points of view as well, tone plays a huge role as to whether or not they have any merit. I'll always take someone more seriously who can articulate their thoughts than a driveby "games should be fun" post. Honest opinion, the clarity and care in which you present your ideas and thought process is a cut above most game criticism - it's very welcome in a sea of sensationalism and hot takes and will hopefully create some great, nuanced discussion as a result.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395  Edited By Otogi

Great piece, Austin, and I really liked the bit on the "perfect time". I've been thinking about that the past few days and that was a nice, concise way of putting it.

Also, making you the new Mickey Mouse should be the site's new goal!

Taargus_435

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canadian Content laws keep Victor Lucas paid.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tdot said:

I can't believe someone had to write an entire editorial on why you're allowed to criticise pieces of creative work.

The lack of critical thinking in the online gaming community sometimes astonishes me.

He chose to write it because he believes its a complex issue that demands more critical thinking and discussion. It seems like your stance is devaluing his point, but if this was your intention I apologise.

I think it's important for this community because god knows how many times I've had to explain to people that Anita Sarkeesian isn't trying to ban games. I just wish it was not the case. I think people in film or music understand that just because you have a problem with something and can point to issues, doesn't mean you're holding anyone hostage to your point of view. and maybe, just maybe, people crating these things actually like to here opinions on their works.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I like that you explained the different reactions people take to their disagreements with developers. I believe influence should be just that, not regulatory. Also, it's great that you acknowledged the Polish view here because that is a problem outside of the US.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Wolf Chaos might be the three coolest words ever strung together, like of all time. How have I never heard of it until now?

HumaTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Write, Austin. Write.