• 61 results
elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By elbow

http://fallout3.wordpress.com/2008/10/07/fallout-3-review-from-sweden/#more-2851

It's a short summery, so I would recommend reading it.

-

This honestly, is what I totally expected from this game. Just by reading the review, even if the editor didn't call "Oblivion with guns", I could have drawn that conclusion myself, seeing as this game has the same problems as Oblivion. I wasn't going to get this, but I'm a gamer, and I've gotten games before that I had a gut feeling were gonna be shit. However, I simply cannot subject myself to the torture that is playing another Bethesda game; which leads the to point of, thank you Bethesda for destroying one of my favorite franchises with your terrible design philosophy.

I would have much rather wanted the Fallout franchise to remain dead, then to have to see be spit on like this.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Knives

That's funny. I read another review completely debunking the "Oblivion with guns" theory.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

It's not very well written, so I pass judgment to me.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By elbow
Claude said:
"

"

Did you even read it? Good God.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

I read another translation that basically said the guy was saying "the game's only limitations are the ones placed by its prequels" as if the review were somehow supposed to judge whether or not it was a successful sequel and not just a good game. Whoever wrote that shit needs to go back to internship and learn exactly what it means to review a game. Seriously. I don't know if it's rough Swedish/English, but he just sounds kind of retarded.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Milkman

Oblivion with guns sounds okay to me, considering that Oblivion is one of the greatest RPGs of all-time.

Yeah...go ahead.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Claude
elbow said:
"Claude said:
"

"

Did you even read it? Good God."
“I manage to “aquire” a house that I decoratedin pre-war style, and my very own robot-butler, Wadsworth, that always greets me with a delighted cry and calls me madame.

Yeah, I read it, nice sentence.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_

Also, by the way, the Wordpress blog has a link to another review that is actually in comprehensible English and makes valid criticisms and points. You should all check that out too.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By elbow
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By pause422

Wait until reviews are at all the big sites, not just a PC mag from Sweden. Of course immediately its going to have a similar ''Oblivion with guns" look, almost immediately by looking at it and it being an RPG. It still is one of the best looking games coming out this year, and one of 4 I'm only interested in.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive
Claude said:
"elbow said:
"Claude said:
"

"

“I manage to “aquire” a house that I decoratedin pre-war style, and my very own robot-butler, Wadsworth, that always greets me with a delighted cry and calls me madame.

Yeah, I read it, nice sentence."
its a poorly translated review, that doesnt mean its poorly written. theres some points you could pick up on, like how he says eventually the whole world seems crammed. 
i absolutely still believe its oblivion with guns and thats not a bad thing. so many people get all defensive. i aint buyin it anyway. im getting LBP and Resistance 2 and CODWaW thats enough games for me this year
elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By elbow
pause422 said:
"Wait until reviews are at all the big sites, not just a PC mag from Sweden."

PC GAMER.

Doesn't matter if it's from UK/NA/GE, or whatever, PC Gamer is a reputable magazine, no matter where it's from.

Likewise, why should anyone believe a reivew from a French magazine, that isn't even on the level of the PC Gamer brand?
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rowr

Cool, Oblivion with guns, just what i wanted.

I mean seriously wtf did you expect it would be?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

People who haven't played the game slam review that doesn't groove with their preconceptions. More at 11.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
ryanwho said:
"People who haven't played the game slam review that doesn't groove with their preconceptions. More at 11."
I slam the Swedish review for being completely oafish in its reasons for their criticisms.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Claude
TwoOneFive said:
"Claude said:
"elbow said:
"Claude said:
"

"

Yeah, I read it, nice sentence."
its a poorly translated review, that doesnt mean its poorly written. theres some points you could pick up on, like how he says eventually the whole world seems crammed. 
i absolutely still believe its oblivion with guns and thats not a bad thing. so many people get all defensive. i aint buyin it anyway. im getting LBP and Resistance 2 and CODWaW thats enough games for me this year
"
Agreed, but that's what I expected from this game and the final judgement will be mine. I'm biased because I've enjoyed Bethesda games for a while.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

Wow just look at the review, in the beginning the reviewer is comparing it to the original fallouts that came out years ago..saying they miss random encounters and such...were in fucking 2008 and he wants random encounters to happen. Honestly this review has no credibility what so ever..if he wants that he can go play some JRPGs.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By elbow
pause422 said:
"Wow just look at the review, in the beginning the reviewer is comparing it to the original fallouts that came out years ago..saying they miss random encounters and such...were in fucking 2008 and he wants random encounters to happen. Honestly this review has no credibility what so ever..if he wants that he can go play some JRPGs."

He's a Fallout fan, maybe he wants what made a Fallout game good? Perhaps he wanted a game that was faithful to the two games that came before it? In case you haven't realized, RPG games have made ZERO ground in terms of progression since the days of Fallout 2. What Bethesda is doing here, is nothing new because just quickly glancing at this review, I can already pick off the same problems that Oblivion had.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

I'm a Fallout fan. I'm however not someone who is asking for Fallout 3 to bring back random encounters and fucking turn based combat..people need to get out of the 90s and fucking learn that games have changed..times have changed and the games needed to evolve . The review has no credibility at all because of these stupid comparisons to wanting age old mechanics left in the game.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
elbow said:
"pause422 said:
"Wow just look at the review, in the beginning the reviewer is comparing it to the original fallouts that came out years ago..saying they miss random encounters and such...were in fucking 2008 and he wants random encounters to happen. Honestly this review has no credibility what so ever..if he wants that he can go play some JRPGs."

He's a Fallout fan, maybe he wants what made a Fallout game good? Perhaps he wanted a game that was faithful to the two games that came before it? In case you haven't realized, RPG games have made ZERO ground in terms of progression since the days of Fallout 2. What Bethesda is doing here, is nothing new because just quickly glancing at this review, I can already pick off the same problems that Oblivion had.
"
Maybe the point wasn't to review the game from a "does this hold up to Fallout series conventions" standpoint and instead to actually review the game standing alone as most games should be? The premise of most of the ending complaints and conclusions are ridiculous to say the least.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422

Honestly this thread just needs to be dismissed now. Bring up another Fallout 3 Review thread when all the sites/mags with people actual giving a eligible review that tells you some actual information instead of comparisons and whining that games have evolved basically as one of your complaints...besides that alone that review just has so many flaws in it.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Shawn

Wait, so who reviewed it?

Exactly.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Demilich

I think we can wait a little longer for a more informative review.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho
pause422 said:
"I'm a Fallout fan. I'm however not someone who is asking for Fallout 3 to bring back random encounters and fucking turn based combat..people need to get out of the 90s and fucking learn that games have changed..times have changed and the games needed to evolve . The review has no credibility at all because of these stupid comparisons to wanting age old mechanics left in the game."
Chess is for geezers, it doesn't require skill anymore. Chessboxing is where its at. People should evolve with the times because things that used to be fun can no longer be fun. Its impossible.
Oh wait, no. That's completely wrong. Thanks for playing, though.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pause422

Actually no, not completely wrong. You and a certain very small minority may wish things stayed the same throughout, but they've already evolved from then, game devs know this, reviewers know this. If this wasn't true almost every RPG made recently would still have turn based combat and random encounters. Its like saying FPS games should of never evolved to a crosshair and full X and Y axis movement. I'm done posting in this thread, its pointless- the review isn't credible at all, and your statement shows you would actually take this review seriously.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Clean

Not my kind of game....

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tekmojo

its not fallout 2 by any means, but maybe modders can do something with it, like do a total Fallout 2 conversion, id pay money for that

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho
pause422 said:
"Actually no, not completely wrong. You and a certain very small minority may wish things stayed the same throughout, but they've already evolved from then, game devs know this, reviewers know this. If this wasn't true almost every RPG made recently would still have turn based combat and random encounters. Its like saying FPS games should of never evolved to a crosshair and full X and Y axis movement. I'm done posting in this thread, its pointless- the review isn't credible at all, and your statement shows you would actually take this review seriously."
You call adapting the Elder's Scrolls ruleset evolution? Cus its been around longer than turn based combat, hero.
You need to learn the difference between stepping forward and stepping to the side. Building on the franchise's foundation to make it fresh is moving forward. Doing something completely unlike the previous games is a sidestep. Replacing one archaic battle system related to the franchise with another archaic battle system takes a step back, and to the side.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Bulldog19892

So you're going to trust some obscure Swedish game review for your conclusion about a game? You realize that the game isn't coming out for another three weeks right? Where the hell did these people get a final copy of Fallout 3? I think the haters are just desperate for anything to back-up their points.

I hate it when people jump the judgment gun like this. Perhaps we can wait for the more trustworthy and reputable reviews to come out before we jump to conclusions? Better yet, we can play the game when it comes out and reach our own conclusions about it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By mike
Bulldog19892 said:
 Where the hell did these people get a final copy of Fallout 3?

That's a pretty good question.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You could actually play it. You know. Play the game. At the end, only you can derive your opinion for the game. But why the hell would you do that when a Swedish review gives you an opinion already. That's what the news does for the majority of Americans anyways.

Parabola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Parabola

Putting a live grenade on a guy makes me want to buy it..and the VATS system, it just looks like a great game in general, maybe it won't be considered the best sequel but overall it'll probably get somewhere in the 80-99% 

RobNBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RobNBanks
pause422 said:
"I'm a Fallout fan. I'm however not someone who is asking for Fallout 3 to bring back random encounters and fucking turn based combat..people need to get out of the 90s and fucking learn that games have changed..times have changed and the games needed to evolve . The review has no credibility at all because of these stupid comparisons to wanting age old mechanics left in the game."
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Just more people whining about Fallout 3 not being archaic enough.

Which is stupid

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Just more people whining about Fallout 3 not being archaic enough.

Which is stupid

Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Bartiemus

you say that like its a bad thing

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho
ArbitraryWater said:
"You could actually play it. You know. Play the game. At the end, only you can derive your opinion for the game. But why the hell would you do that when a Swedish review gives you an opinion already. That's what the news does for the majority of Americans anyways.
"
Game's not out yet. So we can't. All people can do is speculate on the validity of the review's claims. Also the idea that everyone can just go out and buy a game to find out if they like it is pretty stupid. People need reviews because they're not millionaires and they're not immortal, people with finite time in their life and finite expenses can't experience everything firsthand. Get it? Also, thanks for the pointless racism.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
ryanwho said:
"pause422 said:
Chess is for geezers, it doesn't require skill anymore. Chessboxing is where its at. People should evolve with the times because things that used to be fun can no longer be fun. Its impossible.
Oh wait, no. That's completely wrong. Thanks for playing, though."
That, right there, is the C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!  Excellent comment.
There was absolutely nothing wrong or broken with the previous CORE Fallout games.  There just wasn't any advertising or promotion for it, and back then, there wasn't a market for the type of game it was on anything but the PC.  The games were critically acclaimed!!!  

Therefore, why change what isn't broken?  Diablo III doesn't seem to be doing much to change its usual hack 'n' slash formula.  StarCraft II probably won't be changing much on its RTS setup.  Contra rarely ever changes their form of gameplay (and I don't believe the 3D or pseudo-3D ones can be called Contra games).  Ninja Gaiden II didn't change much from its first installment...and its multiple iterations.  I could keep listing games that have barely changed their formulas:

Command and Conquer 3
Battlefield
Call of Duty
Halo
Civilization
WarCraft

The list goes on and on for game franchises that have never really changed their formulas...and in turn, it created the game that most people wanted.

Instead, whenever Fallout changed its formula (see Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for a prime example), it fucking failed...and it failed epicly.  Nay.  It didn't fail epicly.  It failed to the point that failure was a compliment for it.  It was a fiasco!  A FUCKING FIASCO!!!  It KILLED the franchise, with little to no hope for it to be resurrected.  Now, Bethesda got ahold of it and, as we can all assume, is turning it into "Oblivion with guns" or "Oblivion: The Apocalypse".  Many will believe the Elder Scroll series is great, and Oblivion was some form of shining triumph...and there are a good handful of us that don't believe so.  We're the kind of guys that played Fallout, and we found the brilliance and immersion and depth in that CORE franchise.

Giving Fallout anything other than the graphics engine from Oblivion turns it into something that just isn't Fallout.  Will the game have crazy depth?  Yes, it's an RPG.  They are known for that.  Will it have a big open world to explore?  I'm sure of it...even though Fallout wasn't really about wandering a huge expansive world.  Will it have VATS?  Yes...but it won't be completely necessary until higher levels, I'm sure...and we'll see just how much you need it during that time period.

All in all, from a Fallout fan's point of view...this game is the one thing that Fallout fans DON'T want.  It's the thing that OBLIVION fans want.

What if someone took Oblivion and made it a turn-based RPG?  Would you like that?  No, everyone would bitch about it.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jakob187
MB said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
 Where the hell did these people get a final copy of Fallout 3?

That's a pretty good question."
I used to work at Best Buy some years ago, and I can say that when Christmas time was rolling around, especially from October to January...games would come in a month early and be sitting in the back waiting forever to be put on the shelves.  It's not completely naive to believe that a retailer has copies somewhere in their back rooms/storage spaces and these guys just happened to get their hands on one.
However...it's in Europe...and we know how game releases go in Europe.  So fuck only knows.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Systech

Sorry, to whomever wrote that, but the review sucked.

Evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Evilross
ryanwho said:
"pause422 said:
"Actually no, not completely wrong. You and a certain very small minority may wish things stayed the same throughout, but they've already evolved from then, game devs know this, reviewers know this. If this wasn't true almost every RPG made recently would still have turn based combat and random encounters. Its like saying FPS games should of never evolved to a crosshair and full X and Y axis movement. I'm done posting in this thread, its pointless- the review isn't credible at all, and your statement shows you would actually take this review seriously."
You call adapting the Elder's Scrolls ruleset evolution? Cus its been around longer than turn based combat, hero.
You need to learn the difference between stepping forward and stepping to the side. Building on the franchise's foundation to make it fresh is moving forward. Doing something completely unlike the previous games is a sidestep. Replacing one archaic battle system related to the franchise with another archaic battle system takes a step back, and to the side."
Fallout 3 does not use an Elder Scrolls ruleset.

It uses the SPECIAL system, just like Fallout and Fallout 2.  It can also be played real-time, or turnbased.

Just because it looks similar to Oblivion, doesn't mean it plays anything like Oblivion. I was very skeptical at first when I heard about Fallout 3, but from everything I've seen it looks like Bethesda has gone out of their way to make the game as true to the source material as possible.

Play it before you bash it for not being Fallout 2. You may actually like it.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

elbow said:
"

Swedish TO English, done quickly by someone, are to expect near perfection?

Whatever the case might be, I'll take the message that the reviewer is trying to bring across rather than raise my arms in the air screaming how poorly it was translated.

"
I'm just amused by how quickly you've closed your mind to the game.  Fucking play it, man, then decide whether it is up your alley.  Cementing your opinion with a badly-translated review a good while before the game is released is pretty ludicrous. 
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Even if it was "Oblivion with guns", it would still justify a purchase from me. Oblivion was awesome, according to me and Metacritic.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By elbow
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"elbow said:
"

Swedish TO English, done quickly by someone, are to expect near perfection?

Whatever the case might be, I'll take the message that the reviewer is trying to bring across rather than raise my arms in the air screaming how poorly it was translated.

"
I'm just amused by how quickly you've closed your mind to the game.  Fucking play it, man, then decide whether it is up your alley.  Cementing your opinion with a badly-translated review a good while before the game is released is pretty ludicrous. "

I've already got my "hate on".

In case you haven't figured it out, I absolutely, FUCKING HATED Oblivion. It IS without a shadow of a doubt the worst game I have bought this generation. The amazing thing was that when I read this review, every single one of the complaints this dude had, was exactly the same shit I found wrong with Oblivion. That is why I chose to believe what this guy was saying, because to me it was surreal how accurate he was nailing all the wrong shit in Oblivion.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DualReaver

Wrong. Oblivion was already Oblivion with guns. Fallout 3 is merely Stalker with guns.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Demilich
DualReaver said:
"Wrong. Oblivion was already Oblivion with guns. Fallout 3 is merely Stalker with guns."
What...?
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bulldog19892
DualReaver said:
"Wrong. Oblivion was already Oblivion with guns. Fallout 3 is merely Stalker with guns."
You must have a different version of Oblivion because I don't remember the Emperor ever whipping out an Uzi and gunning down hordes of daedra. I also seem to remember there being guns in STALKER.
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jNerd

I kind of expected that, but I don't mind because ultimatley that's what I really wanted. Everyone @ some point has thought. "Wouldn't Oblivion with guns be awesome!"
...BOOM!
Prayers answered.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49  Edited By Gunner
DualReaver said:
You lost me.
xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50  Edited By xymox

Since when did printed gaming magazines get reviews up before the internets?

I used to be a reader of the Swedish PCGamer. To my knowledge they haven't faked any stories or reviews yet, but this one seems fishy. 
Did they review it based on their time with it at some showcase or whatever?