For some reason this kinda pissed me off.

• 81 results
Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Make the whole site premium except for the Daily Dota, that'd teach ya

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#52  Edited By Brackynews
RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda pissed that you are using the white website.

This is the real matter at hand here, folks.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate: uhm I never use ad block. I should tho since watching the same 35 second video for world of tanks before every quicklook is great!

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Edin899

@cabrit_sans_cor: uhm im sorry didnt they come up with the subscriber idea to get more money and still offer the same content. They also said with the subscribers we would not be seeing any ads on the site. Fast forward to today and the personal videos that we come to the site to are premium and there are ads EVERYWHERE.

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By MrJorOwe

@edin899 said:

@cabrit_sans_cor: uhm im sorry didnt they come up with the subscriber idea to get more money and still offer the same content.

Simply, no. I don't understand your second point, I'm a subscriber and I don't see any ads, that was the point, that was another reason to be a subscriber.

Sorry the thing you are paying nothing for isn't up to your standard, you have to watch a 35 second ad before a 20minute to hour long video, wheras on youtube you have to watch a 35 second ad for a 3 minute music video.

Also stop using the white site layout

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@edin899 said:

@cabrit_sans_cor: uhm im sorry didnt they come up with the subscriber idea to get more money and still offer the same content. They also said with the subscribers we would not be seeing any ads on the site. Fast forward to today and the personal videos that we come to the site to are premium and there are ads EVERYWHERE.

Subscribers don't see ads, annual at least - never been monthly. Only exception is on twitch and that is out of their control.

Do you at least accept that without the premium sales that Whiskey would have run out of money a while back and CBS would not have been interested in buying the site? The 10k subs are pocket change to CBS but proving you have a fan base that is willing to pay was likely a large selling point.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By JoeyRavn
  • There's not enough premium content? Complain.
  • There's "too much" premium content? Complain.
  • You are told to buy a premium membership if you care so much about premium content? Complain.

Yep. I can totally see a patter here.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too have experienced a situation where $5 was a lot of money to just give away for a month.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn said:

• There's not enough premium content? Complain.
  • There's "too much" premium content? Complain.
  • You are told to buy a premium membership if you care so much about premium content? Complain.

Yep. I can totally see a patter here.

That's the most clever typo I've seen all week.

Donoram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Can we stop this dumb shit before we have a class war? Some people can afford premium, some can't. Some years I pay, some years I don't. Sometimes it's just not a justifiable expenditure. Don't jump on someone's dick just because they feel a little left out.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more pissed that the daily Dota is considered actual content, I wouldn't wish the daily Dota on my worst enemy.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By fetchfox

We're a small community and we all enjoy the antics of the crew (premium member or not). I've been a paying member since the beginning of it, but I acknowledge that not everyone can afford it. For me and others the yearly membership is affordable, for others it isn't. Someone here has also mentioned that the premium member videos have been far between lately (for reasons we all know), which I'd argue is why there are so many at the moment. Giant bomb will continue to produce content for regular members as well, and they have an incredible backlog that counts hundreds (if not thousands) of hours. Have patience, and let's try not to argue over a silly topic like this again.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I think it's great. Means I have a comfortable little backlog for when I re-subscribe.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By yyZiggurat

You choose to look at the site on the a day when multiple Premium videos went up. One Monday there will be an ILM and maybe a QL for all members, on Tuesday there will be more QL's and a 2.5 to 3 hour bombcast for all members. On Wednesday there will be a Professional Wednesday stream with the Gamespot crew and more QL's for all members. On Thurday Night there will be a Throwdown stream for all members. Stop getting pissed off at shit that doesn't matter.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes there is too much content I do not have enough free time to watch it all.

Poppy_Persona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: I know right?! Its like they can't win, people moan about not getting their moneys worth like a couple weeks after Ryan dies and now that they're getting back on track its like noooo there's toooo much.lols just pay up people it's worth it and then some.

ChibiKillstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of buying a 60 dollar game to entertain you for 30 hours, be a subscriber to the people who entertain you for an entire year.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

That's cause the past two weeks we didn't have any premium content . Now we get a bunch in a weekend , I think it makes sense and is fair .

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Rick_Fingers

One of the founding members of the site just passed away.

We should be thanking our lucky fucking stars that Giant Bomb still exists, never mind that there is still a forum for the OP to unreasonably bitch on.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually subscribed for the first time after seeing that there is cool but non-essential premium content. I don't see a problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's fair. Quick looks are still free and bombcasts are still free. They want to make sure premium members are receiving content that's exclusive. It doesn't bother me.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

when did the premium stuff turn into webcam videos from GBers apartment bedrooms?

remember when they were actually produced videos? and when there WERE actual produced videos on the site that didnt just happen once or twice a year?

when did this start going down hill? was it when they moved back to the gamespot building?

The shift was when live streams started. Live streams let them engage the audience, us, more directly, but they also cut into the time they used to have for produced videos. Clearly not everyone here likes that trade-off, but that's how it is.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I kind of agree. I still thinks it's bullshit that a lot of the free streams are archived as premium content. Surely the bandwidth cost is not that high, it just seems a way to fill the premium content quota for the week.

Having said that I do think a lot of the premium stuff is worth paying for, you should consider it.

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By Aterons

As someone who doesn't give a jack about quick looks because I pirate most game anyway I am actually more interested in a lot of the non-review/quick look videos and podcasts that they produce. So in understand your frustration.

But you have to think that they need to get money from somewhere and they have a staff of what... 6 ? And another dozen that sometimes work part-time for them that they need to pay with less views than a popular 1-man youtube let's play channel.

They have every bit of journalistic integrity untouched because game-reviews, game journalism and quick looks are available to anyone who wants to see them and if I have to miss out on stuff because I don't have enough money to subscribe that is fine for me as long as the site has enough money to keep going.

groverat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the "some reason" that this is pissing you off, OP: You have entitlement issues.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@49th said:

I kind of agree. I still thinks it's bullshit that a lot of the free streams are archived as premium content. Surely the bandwidth cost is not that high, it just seems a way to fill the premium content quota for the week.

Having said that I do think a lot of the premium stuff is worth paying for, you should consider it.

It's kinda annoying when somebody says "surely this and that is not that expensive". The guys have a bunch of people on staff, they stream TONS of video data every day to thousands of people and they maintain a wiki not just of every game ever made, but of abstract gaming concepts as well.

And all of that needs to make money for CBS on top of that.

So yeah, unless you get a peek at their accounts, I wouldn't presume.

On topic, I'm a sub, so I hadn't noticed they were all premium. I'm of the kind of subscriber that doesn't mind if everything is available, but the split between "QLs, podcasts and Twitch streams are free, archives of random nonsense are paid for" is reasonable for the business model the guys have. Plus, if that gets more subs in and keeps ads off the table, it's all good. I can't think of any other podcast of this calibre that doesn't have sponsorships somewhere.

Now, getting rid of the Daily Dota in exchange for more free on-set stuff I'd stand for. With everything that happened, the guys' time is at a premium, and I don't see how Brad playing Dota for hours is a good investment when Patrick and Alex can produce that kind of Youtube-ish livestream off-site. I mean, I know we keep asking for more Endurance Runs, but that's not what we meant, right? It's a relatively minor quibble, though.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SharkEthic

Why on earth would that piss you off? Do you somehow feel entitled to free content?

Spoiler: Giant Bomb don't owe you shit.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SeanCoughing

I can't believe anyone has a problem with the guys streaming from their homes considering the Rogue Legacy stream with Patrick and brad was amazing. And to the OP, just subscribe already, 5 dollars isn't exactly a steep barrier for entry.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@darthorange:

You're not able to listen to that podcast? Weird. It's right there for me. It's really good content too.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Iodine

Look, you made some points, some people agreed with you (or well that one dude edit: that one dude was you, so......), most did not, but before you feel like we are ganging up on you, remember this

No Caption Provided

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

There was a three hour podcast and like three-four QL's this week. By the way.

Yillb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Yillb

Not commenting one way or the other, but last year, at Thanksgiving and around Christmas they offered subscriptions for $35 (I think that's the price).

That's when I picked my subscription up.

While limited, I'm pretty sure neither sold out, so if $50 is too much for you, you could save some money and wait for a sale. Assuming they do it again.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Hey look it's this topic again.