Forgotten Games of 2013

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Hey, duders:

It's the end of the year, a time of reflection, both of oneself and of the society they live in everyday. In this case, we're talking about those who play games. Very often, we tend to look back at their personal Game of the Year; other times, they focus on the worst games they played during the year. However, I've noticed a constant lack of people talking about those games played by almost no-one but them. They may be hidden gems, they may be mediocre games forgotten about within the week of release. They may be that one game you say to yourself, "Was I the only one who played this?"

This year, I wanted to contribute to the whole GB community by creating a list of games that were overlooked, rarely played by people outside of a few others, or just flat out forgotten about. However, I only have two games I can think of:

• Lost Planet 3 (Wasn't this announced 4 years ago?)
  • The Swapper (a.k.a. That One Puzzle-Platformer That Isn't Gunpoint Patrick Likes)

I've racked my brain for hours thinking of other games fitting this classification, but, ironically enough, I can't remember many. This is where you come in: all I need is for you to post about that one game you remember but not many people remember came out this year. It can be a console exclusive; a small indie game on PC; a Flash game; whatever. So long as you can put the month and year it came out (and a few personal words you have to share about the game), I'm OK with it. An exact date would be preferable, but a month and year will do.

The reason I'm creating this forum thread is simple: I want to help in the preservation of games as much as I can. Hopefully, this will become a place to come back to for reference's sake.

As stated above, all I need is for everyone to post at least one game you think will be forgotten by the end of the year otherwise. State the date of its release (month and year will do fine) in your post.

That's it. Thanks again for taking the time to read this post. I hope to hear from all of you soon.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Pandora's Tower. I'll have more to say about it this Thursday.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I totally forgot Dead Space 3 and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen came out this year until I was doing my GotY list.

As for a place of reference, this Wikipedia page has a list of most things that came out this year. I don't think you need to worry about preservation.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Hunter5024

@video_game_king said:

This is one of the games I'm most disappointed I wasn't able to get to.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

You've at least written up a rather substantial OP, but goddamn people, this is like the 4th one of these types of threads this month.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@video_game_king said:

This is one of the games I'm most disappointed I wasn't able to get to.

I really need to go back and play through it as well.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dr_mantas

The Swapper is excellent, great that you mentioned it.

I want to contribute Remember Me (Jun 04, 2013), coincidentally. I know Alex didn't like it all that much, and I can see the flaws, but for me at least it was an aesthetically AMAZING game, had pretty fun combat, although maybe simplistic and a bit repetitive, and the memory remix stuff was new and interesting, although not enough sequences of that. I really really enjoyed the story as well.

Also, maybe not forgotten, but Heart of the Swarm (March 12, 2013) came out this year. The campaign part was maybe a bit short but great, for me. I don't mess much with the multiplayer, but I heard it's not bad:)

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Joemotycki

It seems like they might have forgotten about Rogue legacy, which would make me really sad because I think that game is really fun. That's one of my personal favourites from this year.

Yeah its also great that the swapper is now getting a lot of love from Patrick, because that game is a great puzzle game, and has a suprisingly engaging story + ending. Its also kind of funny how no on the giant bomb crew even mentioned enemy within even though they all loved the hell out of the other xcom... I mean new consoles were coming out, but still.

Ni no kuni is a game that no one really played this year(neither did I), but i heard its pretty good.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger did not revolutionize the fps genre, but for coming out of nowhere after an absolute shit reboot (Cartel), this was a pleasant surprise. The shooting was solid, the story telling was... simple, but had an interesting twist. It was definitely fun for one sitting or two.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey

Fuse and Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (stealth release)

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked that up on local release last year and still haven't really played it, the little bit I did play (up to the first boss) seemed pretty damn cool, though. It's one of the higher priorities in my backlog.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ares42

Rayman Legends is easily one of the best games of the year and it got nowhere near the attention it deserves. I bought and played both Rayman Legends and Mario 3D World and it pains me to see how much praise Mario got over Rayman.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JasonR86

Kairo and Bit.Trip Runner 2 for sure. Fire Emblem and DMC less so. But all are awesome.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

@jasonr86: Well, Kairo was 2012...

Anyway, if you like simple but challenging puzzle games, you should consider playing Jelly no Puzzle (March 3, 2013). BTW, it's free!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@jasonr86: Well, Kairo was 2012...

Anyway, if you like simple but challenging puzzle games, you should consider playing Jelly no Puzzle (March 3, 2013). BTW, it's free!

It was 2012? Well shit.

JesterArbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DmC: Devil May Cry came out way back in January. Not sure how many people remember this game. Haven't heard anyone talking about it. Personally I really didn't like any of the Devil May Cry games but loved this one. Probably because of Ninja Theory. Either way, that is one of my gems this year.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lost Planet wasn't forgotten, it just wasn't very good. Patrick has been pimping the Swapper - so it should get a mention on the podcasts.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By mosdl

Weird how many of the forgotten games - DmC (awesome game), Remember Me (interesting game concepts, plus I am a sucker for scifi) and Dragon Dogma: Arisen (Playing right now and enjoying it) have been free on psn+ the past few months.

If you are looking for a good adventure game, The Raven was quite good.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee
No Caption Provided

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By altairre

@ares42 said:

Rayman Legends is easily one of the best games of the year and it got nowhere near the attention it deserves. I bought and played both Rayman Legends and Mario 3D World and it pains me to see how much praise Mario got over Rayman.

I takes the third spot on my goty list. I never really got into Mario games but this game I found this game to be pure joy. The artstyle, the music, the feeling of the actual platforming combined with creative level design (the music levels are just fantastic). It's fucking awesome and you should play it if you haven't.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger did not revolutionize the fps genre, but for coming out of nowhere after an absolute shit reboot (Cartel), this was a pleasant surprise. The shooting was solid, the story telling was... simple, but had an interesting twist. It was definitely fun for one sitting or two.

I agree with Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. This game is really fun with a neat dueling mechanic, upgrading system, cool Borderlands-esque artstyle, and a neat story. One of my favorites this year.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Risk of Rain and Race the Sun!

Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't seen many people talk about The Guided Fate Paradox. Which is a shame. One of my top 10 games of the year

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmehlers said:

@themangalist said:

I agree with Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. This game is really fun with a neat dueling mechanic, upgrading system, cool Borderlands-esque artstyle, and a neat story. One of my favorites this year.

Totally, agree, very fun game from start to finish.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brütal Legend Pc version .... a game to be played by Metal fans.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Despite all of the good buzz it had for a bit, I believe Patrick's the only one that'll recall Fire Emblem at all throughout the deliberations, though I'd adore to eat those words.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Remember Monaco? That totally came out this year.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, maybe not forgotten, but Heart of the Swarm (March 12, 2013) came out this year. The campaign part was maybe a bit short but great, for me. I don't mess much with the multiplayer, but I heard it's not bad:)

I just beat the Heart of the Swarm campaign last night right after beating the Wings of Liberty campaign. I think I liked the Heart of the Swarm campaign better. I have a feeling that it will get overlooked a little bit, but I don't think it deserves to be.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

GTA V

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Is it bad that I own Remember Me, Ni No Kuni and Tomb Raider but haven't started any of them? I should probably get to it before they are talked about in GOTY podcasts. God, why did I waste so much time this year playing Nier? And I didn't realize this until I was finished the game and went back to edit the wiki but GRID 2 was also this year. I thought it was years old by this point.

Now that I think about it, anything that came out on Vita this year will be on this list. Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, Killzone, Ys Memories of Celceta, 10X8, probably some others I'm forgetting. I played a lot of Soul Sacrifice and Tearaway this week and both are really fun.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#31  Edited By wumbo3000

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Ni No Kuni was forgotten pretty quickly, but then again it wasn't all that memorable.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdg said:

@bmehlers said:

@themangalist said:

The smart thing they did was not overextend the game, it was a good length and never got boring. Unlike Shadow Warrior, which is quite fun but the levels are too long and they get tedious.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By TheMasterDS

I went back to Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm yesterday to refresh how I felt about it. I had forgotten precisely how fantastic it was in the last year I found out. It's phenomenal. I initially intended to only replay a bit but I'm going to keep playing it until I refinish it. Then I think I'll do the same for Last of Us and Bioshock since they are #2 and #1 to Starcraft's #3 respectively far as I'm concerned. That's fair. (I had had SC2 at #4 below Rogue Legacy. Replaying it moved it up one notch. Awesome.)

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jacdg

@mosdl said:

@jacdg said:

@bmehlers said:

@themangalist said:

The smart thing they did was not overextend the game, it was a good length and never got boring. Unlike Shadow Warrior, which is quite fun but the levels are too long and they get tedious.

100%, it was the perfect length and the levels felt just right as well. There was enough time for you to unlock a bunch of cool skills, play around with them without them becoming stale or boring. Very nice experience.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LackingSaint

I really, really enjoyed my time with Prison Architect and State of Decay. Fire Emblem: Awakening is a fantastic game I know a lot of people seemed way into, but not so much among GB staff or the community.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brütal Legend Pc version .... a game to be played by Metal fans.

I love Brutal Legend and am very sad there will be no sequel, but it's not fair to say it came out this year. If we do where does it end? Virtual console games? Hd collections? IT'S MADNESS.

In the same way I think Heart of the Swarm is more of an expansion pack than a new game. I mean it is available as an expansion pack and even Blizzard's own copy is : "StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm is the first expansion to the 2010 release of the heralded Real-Time strategy game, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.*"

It clearly builds on Wings of Liberty in an expansion packy way. It should be up for DLC of the year but not game of the year.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amnesia - A Machine for Pigs. Easily the most disturbing game since the PS2 days of Silent Hill.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barbie Dreamhouse Party.

At least, I want to forget...

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember all those screenshots of Crysis 3 and all the lulz that were had by PC elitists at the expense of people excited for PS4 and XONE....Remember anything else about Crysis 3? Ya didn't think so...That came out this year.

Also to the guy above who mentioned Rayman, hell yeah that didn't get any attention at all here. They seriously gave up on the game in the middle of that quicklook when Jeff didn't like using the touchpad to control the frog. Talk about a reason to skip a whole game.