Game References in Popular Culture

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

So I was doing some research into Adrian Shepherd from Opposing Forces on Wikipedia, then moved onto Gordon Freeman to see if I could learn anything new. If you have ever scoured the Wiki character pages, at the bottom they often listen other places where these guys were referenced. I just thought it'd be interesting for you guys to post what you found and maybe learn something we didn't know. It doesn't have to be about Half-Life.

Gordon Freeman - Popular Culture

• In Call of Duty: United Offensive, near the start of the second mission, two American soldiers are shown running side-by-side. On the left, Pvt. Gordon, and on the right, Pvt. Freeman.
  • In Dead Space, if the player finds the text log of reported dead miners near the captain's seat, the name G. Freeman is on the list.
  • In The Punisher, a scientist refers to another scientist as "Doctor Freeman" and asks what a noise he heard was, to which Doctor Freeman replies "maybe the quantum physics department finally opened that extradimensional portal!". The reply is "Extradimensional aliens! Wonder what they look like?", a reference to the opening scene of Half-Life.
  • In S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, the player may find inside a tunnel located in the Wild Territory a body marked "Freeman". When it is searched, Gordon's Personal Digital Assistant is found, it is learned Gordon hates his bosses and had to trade his crowbar for a can of meat.

The full wiki page can be found, along with more references, here.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By atejas

I doubt references to videogames in other videogames count as pop culture......
A good example would be the book reference, A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away....

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By c1337us

You gotta love stuff like in the Hitman movie where 47 jumps out his hotel room window swinging on the rope and bust through the window of the room below to find a couple of kids playing one of the Hitman games. A real WTF moment.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Haha, that's awesome.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I like the tetris thingy in the simpsons, where homer has got to fit all of the stuff in the car.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

I think one of the most embarrassing in recent years is Resident Evil: Apocalypse's 'G! T! A! Motherfucker! Yeah! Ten points!' But I think the entire film counts as an embarrassing video game reference.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

Another one I liked was the Pac Man maze in Club Dread.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

Oh, let's not forget Frogger in Seinfeld.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By irishjohn
HandsomeDead said:
"I think one of the most embarrassing in recent years is Resident Evil: Apocalypse's 'G! T! A! Motherfucker! Yeah! Ten points!' But I think the entire film counts as an embarrassing video game reference."
Yeah, it's generally a nightmare.  I like the representations of video games in old 70s sci-fi movies: e.g. Soylent Green.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb
c1337us said:
"You gotta love stuff like in the Hitman movie where 47 jumps out his hotel room window swinging on the rope and bust through the window of the room below to find a couple of kids playing one of the Hitman games. A real WTF moment."

If you play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, there is also a weird reference; though it is far more narcisstic. In the game if you go to the internet cafe in Hollywood, there is a PC in the back and there is paused game on the screen. What game is it? It's...

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines! :O
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By c1337us
HandsomeDead said:
"Oh, let's not forget Frogger in Seinfeld."

Ah yes, I cant believe I never thought of that earlier. What an awesome episode that was. Good call.
Irishjohn said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"I think one of the most embarrassing in recent years is Resident Evil: Apocalypse's 'G! T! A! Motherfucker! Yeah! Ten points!' But I think the entire film counts as an embarrassing video game reference."
Yeah, it's generally a nightmare.  I like the representations of video games in old 70s sci-fi movies: e.g. Soylent Green."

You may not have ever watched the show. But Soylent Green, is that what they are referencing in the TV show Millenium when Frank Black logs onto his computer with the voice activation password? I have always wondered what that was about.
irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By irishjohn

I've never watched the show so I can't help, I'm afraid.  But chances are that any quotation of the words "soylent green" is probably a reference to Chuck Heston battling through an overpopulated future.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

I think this is a much better use of video game references in pop culture (and I don't think anyone can disagree):