Gamebryo isn't inherently bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When Bethesda announced Skyrim would use a new engine, many on the internet sounded relieved, associating the Gamebryo engine with the bugs encountered in Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas. I just want to clarify to these people that the Gamebryo engine is merely one of the many tools used to create a game and isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. It should be noted that the Gamebryo engine was also used to create Epic Mickey, Warhammer Online, and the lauded Civilization IV

Think of it this way: the Unreal Engine was used in making both Gears of War and Alpha Protocol. One was technically proficient; the other, not so much. 

Let's see less hate for the Gamebryo engine. It may not be its fault.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By FourWude

Noted to self: will not hate on machine code again.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ShadowKnight508

It is not the Gamebryo engine's fault, it is how Bethesda uses and modifies it for their games that has caused the glitches, bugs, crashes, and thus made it unpopular with some people.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By McGhee

Gamebryo apologists? 

Man, people will argue anything.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By FreakAche

I suspected Civ IV would be brought up. As I've said many times, it's not my favourite Civ game, but you're right, from a technical standpoint it, along with several other Gamebryo titles is perfectly acceptable. The problem is Bethesda has been recycling a lot of buggy in house code since Morrowind.

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" Gamebryo apologists?  Man, people will argue anything. "
I know, right? I eventually saw enough comments against Gamebryo that I was compelled to write something. Someone's gotta drop the knowledge bombs.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Azteck

I think it's more the fact that Bethesda insists on using it even though they always do a terrible job that makes people complain.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've been saying this for ages, whenever the Gamebryo engine gets bashed. Gamebryo is a decent engine. It's Bethesda's implementation of the Gamebryo engine that's absolutely terrible. Plenty of non-buggy games have been made using the engine by developers other than Bethesda. Bethesda have ruined a perfectly good engine's reputation, and they'll probably do that with the next engine they use too.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By mikemcn

Civ 4? Really? I didn't know that, but yea, gamebryo can be fussy at times, but On pc anyways, it works fine. 

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Subjugation

Good engine or not, it's been around long enough and seen its fair share of games. Time to move on to something new.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

The unreal engine isnt really a great engine either.

But you are right, it's how its implemented and coded that matters. I am interested to see, though, if bethesda has learned anything or if they still release buggy code when they come out with the new stuff. I do know a lot of the reasons it was so buggy is because it was old code they never fully fixed properly. Will be interesting to see.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Enigma777

So what you're saying is that Bethesda is the one that sucks... Well, I already knew that.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shirogane

There's a good reason it is now a dead engine, cause it was horrible. Have any of you ever tried using it? Some of the ways that engine does stuff and tries to make you do stuff is just utterly horrible. It seriously does have some messed up stuff going on. With some of the other engines, doing this stuff is way easier and so you're much more unlikely to end up with weird bugs and stuff, mainly cause the engine already does a lot of the work for you.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Venatio

The engine isn't bad, it's just old, plus Bethesda couldn't handle their own engine for some reason -_-

Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Palaeomerus
@Shirogane said:
" There's a good reason it is now a dead engine, cause it was horrible. Have any of you ever tried using it? Some of the ways that engine does stuff and tries to make you do stuff is just utterly horrible. It seriously does have some messed up stuff going on. With some of the other engines, doing this stuff is way easier and so you're much more unlikely to end up with weird bugs and stuff, mainly cause the engine already does a lot of the work for you. "

it's not a dead engine. I was just used to make Epic Mickey. Modders love it. Emergent kept it pretty updated. Emergent  (and the Gamebryo tech  by extension) has already been sold via Gerbsman Partners liquidation to another company.  
The "new" engine in Skyrim is probably "really" a modified Gamebryo derivative designed to have new features once you get past all the PR double talk. 
NikFreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NikFreaX

I still hate the engine to this day.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Yeah, it just Bethesda who are really bad at making games that work. As I've said previously, remember Buggerfall?

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jmfinamore
@Shirogane: Out of curiosity, as someone who knows nothing about making games, how does that work? Like, what makes engines different? Is is just the code language or logic they use? And, on the topic, what makes engine have distinctive looks, like the plasticky Unreal look that it's often associated with? 

I've always wondered about this. 
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By natetodamax

Even if it is technically competent with other games, it was terrible in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Thus, we don't need another open-world game like those two to use it, because it will be terrible.

momosauky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By momosauky1

has their been any word if they are changing engine for fallout 4 

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By artelinarose
@HarlequinRiot said:
" @Shirogane: Out of curiosity, as someone who knows nothing about making games, how does that work? Like, what makes engines different? Is is just the code language or logic they use? And, on the topic, what makes engine have distinctive looks, like the plasticky Unreal look that it's often associated with?  I've always wondered about this.  "
I am by no means any sort of learned when it comes to this subject, but I would guess it has to do with the way they're coded, the assets the use, how it puts them to use, etc.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shirogane
@Artemesia said:
" @HarlequinRiot said:
" @Shirogane: Out of curiosity, as someone who knows nothing about making games, how does that work? Like, what makes engines different? Is is just the code language or logic they use? And, on the topic, what makes engine have distinctive looks, like the plasticky Unreal look that it's often associated with?  I've always wondered about this.  "
I am by no means any sort of learned when it comes to this subject, but I would guess it has to do with the way they're coded, the assets the use, how it puts them to use, etc. "

I can't say my knowledge into the art stuff is so great, but from a programming perspective, most of it is the code and the way it does stuff. For art assets, i believe it's mostly the way things are rendered or the types of art files used that causes the look. Things like shaders, lighting, shadows etc, are done differently in different engines. 
For programming side it's the physics, collision, AI and other stuff which is done differently.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shirogane
@Palaeomerus said:
" @Shirogane said:
" There's a good reason it is now a dead engine, cause it was horrible. Have any of you ever tried using it? Some of the ways that engine does stuff and tries to make you do stuff is just utterly horrible. It seriously does have some messed up stuff going on. With some of the other engines, doing this stuff is way easier and so you're much more unlikely to end up with weird bugs and stuff, mainly cause the engine already does a lot of the work for you. "
 it's not a dead engine. I was just used to make Epic Mickey. Modders love it. Emergent kept it pretty updated. Emergent  (and the Gamebryo tech  by extension) has already been sold via Gerbsman Partners liquidation to another company.  The "new" engine in Skyrim is probably "really" a modified Gamebryo derivative designed to have new features once you get past all the PR double talk.  "

Wow, so it actually got bought? From what i remember the price wasn't that high though. Who acquired them? I havn't been able to find any info on it.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Evilsbane

Remember Gamebryo  for what it was supposed to be...

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By Seroth

I just want a diagonal walking animation.

Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Palaeomerus

There has been no word about Fallout 4 that I know of, unless you are counting the MMO that Interplay is supposedly working on despite the lawsuit with Bethesda about alleged contract violations.