• 112 results
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DoctorOptimist

What do you personally think receive a lot of undeserved backlash from the gaming community? 

Here are several that comes to my mind: 

Crysis
: It's really easy and shallow to dismiss this game as nothing more than just "eye-candy". I could go on what so special about this game outside of the visual department, but I'll allow this guy to explain why instead:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQTCeobZlg

The Dig: Sure, it's not one of the LucasArt's best efforts, but it's still a captivating and compelling adventure game. It arguably has the best storytelling out of any LucasArt's adventure game, and it even has one of the greatest musical scores for gaming to boot. 

Final Fantasy XII: I found this to be one of the best games in the series. I thought the story was intriguing and well written, it was filled with political intrigue, instead of bunch of angsty teenager anime archetypes saving the world crap. Even the characters had depth to them and weren't anime stereo-types, apart from the primary protaganist of course. The battle system was a lot deeper than previous games and there were no random battle encounters, about time for that. 

Alpha Protocol: It's actually a very deep and well designed RPG, it's choices actually have real impact to the narrative unlike most games do. The combat is poor, and the game is rushed. However, the game is well designed enough to be decent experiance 

Chrono Cross: A lot of Chrono Trigger fanboys are just being too harsh to it because it doesn't have much ties to the original. Chrono Cross is in a league of it's own, it's still a fantastic JRPG. The storyline is actually engrossing if you pay attention to it and it has the turn-based best battle system I've played in it's genre. I actually like this a bit more than Chrono Trigger, while I loved Chrono Trigger, the game was WAY too easy. 

Halo Franchise: *sigh* Yup, THAT franchise. It's been attacked by a lot of assholes and idiots (Like 98.99% of Gametrailers.com's userbase) on the net. I have played many bad games in my life, and the Halo series are not one of them and nor are they close. The first Halo was an amazing console FPS, that in my opinion, outdid many of the PC offerings. The sequels weren't as good, but they're still solid games and don't deserve flak either. Even ODST was good game despite it being an overpriced expansion pack. Yes, the Halo fanboys are annoying (Though they're a dying breed right now), but the Halo haters are even worse.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Doctorchimp

I stopped at Alpha Protocol's "well designed"...

You also spelled experience wrong.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BaneFireLord
@DoctorOptimist said:
 Even ODST was good game despite it being an overpriced expansion pack. Yes, the Halo fanboys are annoying (Though they're a dying breed right now), but the Halo haters are even worse.
"
I still don't get the whole "this is just an expansion pack, blah-de-blah" thing about ODST. It was bigger than Halo 3 in all respects (new campaign, Firefight, complete multiplayer). I thought it was a great deal, not a ripoff. It's my favorite Halo game,actually. But then, of course, I'm not a rabid fanboy who buys all the map packs day one of their release and then bitches because Microsoft decided to release them on a disk as well. 
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Gargantuan

I definitely agree with Crysis, The Dig and Halo, haven't played the other games on your list.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
@Doctorchimp: 

Do us a favor and gtfo. thanks.

My entire gripe with gamers is that they have these insane expectations of games, or come up with things it should or should not do on the bloody spot.
Let games be games, don't worry so much, and this coming from a huge fan of all things gaming.

That said I have no clue why people hated Sonic Adventure Battle 2 on the NGC, I bloody loved it, was better then most other games out at the time and great fun.
eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#6  Edited By eliminator

I agree with FF XII (but maybe not best in the series) and Crysis (it's really damn fun,reminds me of a better looking Half-life 2).The others haven't played.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I agree with Halo, the Halo franchise (and Call of Duty as well) get alot of undeserved hatred.  Also, Chrono Cross was Wikipedia's featured article two days ago, just sayin'....
Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By Kibblez

GTAIV

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Kibblez said:
" GTAIV "
That too. 
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam
@Kibblez said:
" GTAIV "
agreed
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@BaneFireLord said:
" @DoctorOptimist said:
 Even ODST was good game despite it being an overpriced expansion pack. Yes, the Halo fanboys are annoying (Though they're a dying breed right now), but the Halo haters are even worse.
"
I still don't get the whole "this is just an expansion pack, blah-de-blah" thing about ODST. It was bigger than Halo 3 in all respects (new campaign, Firefight, complete multiplayer). I thought it was a great deal, not a ripoff. It's my favorite Halo game,actually. But then, of course, I'm not a rabid fanboy who buys all the map packs day one of their release and then bitches because Microsoft decided to release them on a disk as well.  "
Actually, I thought it had the best single-player in the series since the first one and I enjoyed the campaign far more than Halo 3's. However, the single-player was just way too short to be fully priced, and Bungie also dropped the ball by now adding a matchmaking system for FireFight. Also, I already owned the map packs before I bought ODST, so the second disk comes off as useless to me. 
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

FFXIII gets alot of flak for being FFXIII. I thought it was an acceptable game.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By nickux

Resident Evil 5  
While it doesn't follow in the survival horror legacy set by the previous games in the series, I still had a blast playing RE5. What it lacked in scares, I thought it made up for in sheer fun-factor. I played through the game solo and co-op. I never had a huge problem with the AI Sheva. I just thought it was a really great experience that got a lot of crap from people. I think RE fans want something more traditionally Resident Evil while shooter fans wanted better shooting mechanics. I don't know, I mean, I love Resident Evil but to me this worked too.

Resistance 2 
I have no idea why the general consensus of this game is so low. Whether or not people loved the single-player is understandable but my god the multiplayer is so addictive. The co-op missions with the class-based stuff was great I spent a lot of time in that and really enjoyed it. I always said if R3 turned out to be just something like the cooperative modes of R2 but expanded upon, I'd be one happy duder. 

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@TaliciaDragonsong:  The first Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are the only decent 3D Sonic games.
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DoctorOptimist:

My point exactly =P
Maybe not everyone liked them, but they were pretty great games nonetheless, lots of things to do and see.
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Damien
@nickux:  Yeh, I really liked the coop campaigns in R2 too.  They were fun.  What else do you want?
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

I liked Crysis a lot but  felt it never truly let you have the freedom you wanted, sure you could blow up all the buildings or go about doing whatever you want but I found the stealth to be pretty useless as it always ran out before you made it to any of the enemies and the back half of the game it pretty much funnels you towards all the action sequences with the aliens. It looked gorgeous but not once did I ever have that "F'YEAH!" moment like I did with Call of Duty 4. 

I also found the tight pacing of ODST made it the most fun Halo campaign out there, It never seemed like an expansion pack at all.  It also has a beautiful music score.
ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

I agree with the Halo.  But it just gets flak because of popularity.  People like to just rebel to stand out.  Halo is a great series with exception of ODST and Halo wars.  Hopefully Halo Reach is good.  I don't own a xbox 360 but I find a way to play it. 

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FateOfNever

FF12 had some pretty big flaws personally.  Note, I'm not saying that my problems with the game are necessarily problems for the game for anyone else, but, you know.  For one, the game wasn't memorable - due to the fact that they decided to try and play on some sort of crazy political intrigue thing rather than on the characters, at all, none of the characters felt as interesting as they did in past FF games.  Most of the characters just felt like some minor played out stereotype character that even the developers didn't care about.  Second you have the combat in the game.  On one hand they took a chance at something new, on the other hand they made it frustrating for some, too automated for others, and for me - too easy for everything but a boss fight (and even then, only some.)  The Quickening attacks were way too easy to exploit for general purposes.  Also, 12 was kind of the game where they straight up said "yeah, we're not going to try and do anything to make individual characters stand out that much in combat and let you just pick and choose what skin you want and then customize what you want them to be good at afterwords without having to wait too long."  (While yes this also appeared in FF10, in FF10 it took you considerably longer to reach the point of being able to do that.)  Now, again, note that I'm not really saying that FF12 was a 'bad' game, and it certainly did do some things pretty well and it took a considerable number of chances, but I think for a lot of people the chances they took either didn't pay off or weren't chances that they wanted them to take in the first place.

The only other game I'd comment on really is Chrono Cross.  Chronos Cross was a pretty good game, even if the graphics have aged horrendously.  I have two major gripes with Chrono Cross though - 1) The fact that, at least in the U.S. they tried selling the game off as "the sequel to Chrono Trigger!" which was only a part truth, and a very small part at that (which bugged me a whole hell of a lot more at the time the game came out than it does now) and 2) the story for the game gets way too convoluted for its own good.  Maybe I'll go back and play the game again sometime and try to figure out the story again, but I remember playing through it the first time constantly seeing stuff and going "what purpose does this serve the story AT ALL?" or wondering why they felt the need to make some things more complex than they actually needed to be.  That's not to say that a story can't take twists and turns, but the story felt like it was trying to do too much at once at some points, or was trying to throw in twists just for the sake of trying to have a twist, regardless of whether or not it actually made any real sense.  I will agree, however, that the combat system from the game was pretty enjoyable and I liked the 'character collection' aspect of the game, and I rather enjoyed most of the settings in the game.  I may try and give it another go some time if I can get myself accustomed to the graphics.

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By THRICE

Chrono Cross for sure, I played that years before I ever touch Chrono Trigger and having never played the first or ever heard of it at the time (was a Genesis owner) I never was the wiser that it didn't live up to anything.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@marioncobretti: To use crysis stealth, you are suppose to move, hide in a bush and recharge, then move with stealth, repeat the process. Or you can wait until they go towards you which you can set up an ambush. Or use it to hide and run away during a gun fight. I like to use stealth, grab ppl by the neck and throw them against a wall with strengh, you have to be creative.
InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By InTheEnd

Most wouldn't say Halo is bad but just mind numbingly average.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

FF12 deserves all the flak it gets. Never before have I seen a game that invites you into the room just so you can watch it jerk off. As for games that don't deserve all the flak they get, I'll go with FF7. Yes, it's the most overrated game in history, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Hell, it's actually pretty good. Also, Metroid Fusion, since it was the first 2D Metroid game to follow Super Metroid.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kishan6

what u said with crysis is so true 
ive always said that once i actually got into the game and am pumped for crysis 2 
alpha protocol i never played but pretty much it seemed the same as u said it 
halo is also true  
it'll still get flak tho lol

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jadeskye
@DoctorOptimist: I'll give you huge kudos for Alpha protocol, one of my favourite games this year.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By EVHKwick

Final Fantasy VIII gets crap because it isn't VII. ]

Also, Left 4 Dead 2 prior to its release.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Doctorchimp
@TaliciaDragonsong: Wow way to prove the Giantbomb community is as hostile as they say nowadays.

I have a different opinion than you and you flip out and don't want to see it...that's rational. Then again you're a "real gamer" and your taste knows no bounds! You also scream bloody murder at bad review scores, again stemming from your fear of a different opinion...

Never mind the fact that Alpha Protocol's problem (at least for me) was the fact that everything felt half-ass, ergo I don't feel well designed is a good adjective for that particular game. It had neat ideas though.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@DoctorOptimist said:
"

Final Fantasy XII: I found this to be one of the best games in the series. I thought the story was intriguing and well written, it was filled with political intrigue, instead of bunch of angsty teenager anime archetypes saving the world crap. Even the characters had depth to them and weren't anime stereo-types, apart from the primary protaganist of course. The battle system was a lot deeper than previous games and there were no random battle encounters, about time for that. 

Alpha Protocol: It's actually a very deep and well designed RPG, it's choices actually have real impact to the narrative unlike most games do. The combat is poor, and the game is rushed. However, the game is well designed enough to be decent experiance 

Halo Franchise: *sigh* Yup, THAT franchise. It's been attacked by a lot of assholes and idiots (Like 98.99% of Gametrailers.com's userbase) on the net. I have played many bad games in my life, and the Halo series are not one of them and nor are they close. The first Halo was an amazing console FPS, that in my opinion, outdid many of the PC offerings. The sequels weren't as good, but they're still solid games and don't deserve flak either. Even ODST was good game despite it being an overpriced expansion pack. Yes, the Halo fanboys are annoying (Though they're a dying breed right now), but the Halo haters are even worse.

"
I liked Final Fantasy 12 but never beat it cause I got bored. 

Alpha Protocol I don't think I heard anything terrible about it just the actual part where it was a game so it deserves the flak it gets in this day and age.  If it was made last generation more would love it. 

I only played Halo 2 and hated it but I can't say anything about any other games except that ODST caught flak because it was $60.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By CL60

GTA IV and Final Fantasy 13.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Kibblez: People got mad at that?
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By animateria

Monster Hunter Tri... Or even the PSP one.

From complaints on the fact that the game doesn't have lock-on to people going all PETA over dinosaurs, Monster Hunter Tri ate a ton of shit from the GB community. 

To be fair I hated the original MH because I didn't get it. But once I gave it a try years and years later, it's one of the greatest series I've ever played in my gaming history.

The comments on the QL are pretty frustrating for that reason. It also shows how much people like to mirror the GB staff opinions fairly easily. Seen it on Demon's Souls too.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp: 

Way to be a ignorant fool with your first post, but now attack me.
Either read the thread and comment, or don't, but no need for Gametrailers.com trash here like "stopped reading at". 
Grow up.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@TaliciaDragonsong: You threw the first stone there.
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SethPhotopoulos: 
Guy's being a bit crazy and immature, grammar nazi and what not, but sure I was first. ;)
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@TaliciaDragonsong: Before you can be a nazi leader you must be a nazi reader.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

Everything I like, of course. Center of the universe over here, I can't conceive of people not liking what I like.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SethPhotopoulos: 

Nazi's suck, true story.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@TaliciaDragonsong: However it only seemed like he disagreed with his statement on Alpha Protocol and yeah he corrected his grammar.  A lot of people are a stickler for grammar.
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By hexogen

Modern Warfare 2 is the first that comes to mind, but feel free to replace that with any popular game ever and it probably still rings true.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SethPhotopoulos: 

Might be, but I fail to see the point of his "Stopped reading at".
Lil childish, and not exactly what Giantbomb should be filled with, come here for the intelligent and fun people.
For spam and comments like that I got enough other sites.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42  Edited By natetodamax

Left 4 Dead 2 for sure.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Skytylz
@InTheEnd said:
" Most wouldn't say Halo is bad but just mind numbingly average. "
great example of the Halo hate, thank you.
karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By karneh
@BaneFireLord said:
" @DoctorOptimist said:
"
I still don't get the whole "this is just an expansion pack, blah-de-blah" thing about ODST. It was bigger than Halo 3 in all respects (new campaign, Firefight, complete multiplayer). I thought it was a great deal, not a ripoff. It's my favorite Halo game,actually. But then, of course, I'm not a rabid fanboy who buys all the map packs day one of their release and then bitches because Microsoft decided to release them on a disk as well.  "
Bigger, yes, but we already got more than half of what was in ODST in Halo 3. It would have been great if Halo 3 did not exist.
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Steve_C

In Mirror's Edge, the shooting parts are so few and don't last long, yet people kept getting hung up on it.

I also found the 'bullet sponge' complaint about Uncharted 1 to be way overblown. Didn't really notice it. I'm sure head shots were still insta-kills for the most part.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NTM
@DoctorOptimist:
I'll agree on all of those for sure.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Skytylz: However the people who don't like Halo think that instead of hate.
slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By slyspider

ff12 was one of the most disappointing games i ever played... fist ff game for me and i really dont want to play any of them now.
also;
MW2: every hates this game because it is one of the most popular games of all time.
Starcraft 2: damn am i tired of people who hate just because people like this game!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FunExplosions

Dragon Age II, oh wait. Hang on, I'll be back in a year.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JoelTGM

Crysis and GTA4 for sure.