• 112 results
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Aronman789

Risen- the game got bad reviews due to most reviewers trying to rush through what is suppose to be a long story where your character develops with you, but due to it being slow, people would get fed up with the small bugs that wouldn't be too annoying if you didn't rush, as well as the fact that most people would get it for Xbox 360, which had more bugs and looked a lot worse than the PC version. 

Gothic 3- game got a lot of flank from both critics and gothic fans, to the point that they barley mention it, or make sure to remind people that they like gothic, but not the third one. Though if they actually took the 5 minutes to install the community patch, you can clearly see that the game has the epic gothic story nonetheless, played it, and can proudly say it is in my top 20.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Skytylz said:
" @InTheEnd said:
" Most wouldn't say Halo is bad but just mind numbingly average. "
great example of the Halo hate, thank you. "
That's not Halo hate, that's Halo dislike. I'm perfectly fine.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Doctorchimp:@DoctorOptimist: 

Doctor... doctor.
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@ryanwho: It's not that I have a grudge against people with an opposing opinion than mine, it's just that most people don't provide any legitimate argument. Not everyone, but most.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Ace829
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @DoctorOptimist:  My point exactly =P Maybe not everyone liked them, but they were pretty great games nonetheless, lots of things to do and see. "
I'm not alone! I may be wearing rose-tinted glasses, but Sonic Adventure was my favorite Sonic game ever. Never had more fun with any other game.
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@LiquidPrince: There's certainly a lot of doctors here. :P
XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By XxBarretxX

Brutal Legend: Put that shit on easy and the battles are not bad at all. Great fun game especially if you like metal.

FF13: Don't get me started on how great this game is :D

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By bravetoaster

I like Halo, but ODST was garbage IMO. 

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Sushbag
@EliminatoR said:
" Crysis (it's really damn fun,reminds me of a better looking Half-life 2). "

While we're on the subject of games with similar settings and art styles, I also liked Grand Theft Auto IV, it reminded me of a better looking Space Invaders.
Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Glak

Basically any games that are popular, people will hate it for no reason just because it's popular
Sure some people just don't care for that game, but too many hate on games like Halo and GTAIV just cause

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Sushbag: Really? To me, GTA IV reminded me of a HD update to Pitfall.
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#62  Edited By Sooperspy
@CptBedlam said:

" @Kibblez said:

" GTAIV "
agreed "
Double agreed.
Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63  Edited By Kibblez

Some of the complains folk had about GTAIV just astounded me. Saying that the driving was poor and that the game lacked anything to really do. I can understand some complaints like how it started to drag on towards the end, but I played the game for a good 40+ hours before finishing the story and loved 95% of it. Plus the multiplayer is fun as a mess around, but people expected it to be a competitive heavyweight like COD and Halo when I don't think it was ever supposed to be. I'm not sure any game with lock-on could be, but it was a lot of fun to piss about in with friends.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Well for me one of the games I think got too much flack was Lost Planet 2. Sure it may have its own flaws especially when waiting to join an online game but its still a decent shooter with a very fun coop mode. 

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jasta

I agree with you about FFXIII, the game looked fantastic and played great. Totally did not deserve the bad mouthing it got.

GTA IV's driving mechanics where a bit flawed but it didint render it unplayable.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By trophyhunter

You and me are on the same team.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By c1337us

That was a little hit and miss with me. I don't entirely agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

People seem to rip on Guild Wars all the time, but it got 89 on Metacritic.

eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#69  Edited By eliminator
@Sushbag:
dude u high?
phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By phrosnite

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude - Halo 3 sucks. All the halos are awesome but Halo '3' sucks. ODST is quite awesome (unless you already bought Halo 3 & map packs). 
 Halo Reach will be really cool, except I've become a XBOX hater lately and don't want to buy another XBOX product, so I guess I'll be crying myself to sleep while everyone else basks in Reach's awesomeness. 

When you wrote "The Dig", I read "Dig Dug", man I love Dig Dug. Nice Post BTW

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#72  Edited By JJWeatherman

It may or may not have been mentioned, but I feel like GTA 4 has gotten way too much grief at times. I've defended it probably a few times over the summer. People don't seem to remember the near unanimous perfect scores and game of the year awards. That game was--and still is--badass.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Onno10
@afrofools said:
" Dude - Halo 3 sucks. All the halos are awesome but Halo '3' sucks. ODST is quite awesome (unless you already bought Halo 3 & map packs). 
 Halo Reach will be really cool, except I've become a XBOX hater lately and don't want to buy another XBOX product, so I guess I'll be crying myself to sleep while everyone else basks in Reach's awesomeness. 

When you wrote "The Dig", I read "Dig Dug", man I love Dig Dug. Nice Post BTW "
So weird, I also read dig dug until you mentioned it. I already wrote this somewhere else but I'm gonna say Cod Waw, just the fact people say this is just a mod for COD4 astonishes me. (even Jeff does)
Btw everyone remembers the AC130 from cod4 but nobody mentions the plane mission in Cod Waw which was way more awesome
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By CaptainObvious

World of Warcraft seems to get a lot of hate these days, and for no good reason.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#75  Edited By louiedog

Pretty much any popular console exclusive. I remember a topic on this forum a couple of months ago where a PS3 owner decided to get a 360 and wanted to know what games to get, but immediately stated he didn't want Gears of War or Halo games without giving a reason. I got the feeling he hadn't played either, but was put off the games either by his own bias or just from the tons of flack those games get in the PS3 circles.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By EpicSteve

Halo just gets flak from idiots that don't understand the difference between a bad game and a playstyle they don't like, other than that you're just going to get a lot of people on here telling you that you're wrong.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Fontan

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Utterly negative reviews all around, yet I enjoyed it from start to finish. 

And I still look for a kick button on any other FPS I play.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Fallen189

God Hand, if you like good games.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haters gonna Hate?
I thought FF12 was horrible and the characters were worse, Vaan also has quite possibly the worst voice in the history of ever.  This might sound like an exaggeration but trust me the amount of boredom that FF12 inspired in me was near violent, that game is and was absolute crap.

Also i think people hate on Warrior Within and The Two Thrones to much, go back and just TRY to play The Sands of Time. The combat is absolutely atrocious and the later two games are 1000x times better.

I loved the Sands of Time(Passed it about 5 times when i was younger) but i made it through 75% of it and i had to stop, the combat is insanely simple and easy but they make you kill about 20 enemies over and over they just keep coming. 
The Combat in the later 2 games was much better, the platforming a a bit more complicated, the fact that Warrior Within was in a way non-linear, the Variety(If even just a little) that Two Thrones included such as Stealth Kills, the Chariot sequences, the Event kills for Bosses. I am not saying they were perfect or that some of the additions were for the better but when people say that Sands of Time was good and just ignore the others it confuses me because Sands of Time isn't as good as they think or say it is.  
I don't mean to say that Sands of Time is a bad game, it was acceptable for the time but the fact that Warrior Within and The Two Thrones are much better yet they are ignored and deemed inferior just sucks.

Also Halo: ODST 
That game reminded me why i love halo, its just such a blast to play with friends and that firefight mode? The most fun i have had playing a videogame in a long time.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Far Cry 2 is a really good game, I don't understand the hate it gets. Some of the side missions do get pretty repetitive but the main missions are solid and good fun and the ending does suck but apart from that it's a good game. The shooting is solid, the driving is fine, graphics excellent, AI is challenging and it's a decent length too. 

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Demyx
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @Doctorchimp:   Do us a favor and gtfo. thanks.  My entire gripe with gamers is that they have these insane expectations of games, or come up with things it should or should not do on the bloody spot. Let games be games, don't worry so much, and this coming from a huge fan of all things gaming.  That said I have no clue why people hated Sonic Adventure Battle 2 on the NGC, I bloody loved it, was better then most other games out at the time and great fun. "
Loved that Sonic game as well, I really want to go find a copy since I never finished it.

I definitely agree with the OP on FFXII I liked it a lot.
threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By threeve

I agree with Crysis and Halo and definitely GTA IV as well.  I didn't really like Crono Cross, but I don't really like JRPGs other than Chrono Trigger anyway...

I would add Starcraft II, ahaha I know it's well received but the haters love to rag on the lack of LAN support and a couple of other things that don't really bother most of us.  I've noticed a trend lately in gaming journalism in which one writer will write something that may be perceived counter-trend which then becomes trendy to write about in every review.  Best example is probably Bioshock 2 where one writer wrote an article long before it came out about how he felt the story of Bioshock was complete in the first game and he didn't see the need for a sequel.  I'm sure everyone's familiar with that old chestnut by now. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Skytylz: However the people who don't like Halo think that instead of hate. "
Disagree 100%.

There are plenty of popular games out there that I happen to think are pretty average.. You know what I do?  Ignore them.  I don't care about them, but they don't bother me, so I don't bother them.  If somebody is having a discussion about them, I'm happy just to walk away.  

With Halo, that is not the case.  People absolutely hate it, if the mere mention of it is brought up in a topic on a forum, it always ends in an arguement like this.  People who call it mediocre or average are simply the ones who try to sound more sophisticated by not outright bashing it.  If you happen to not like it, that's fine with me, but then why must it cause so much debate where ever it goes?  Halo is still a very unique game to me, and no other FPS matches the same style, the same level of A.I. and just sheer joy to play.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJWeatherman: GTA IV is probably my favourite game on the 360... even though it made me angry enough to destroy three controllers over the course of my many re-playthroughs.
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By zityz
@DoctorOptimist said:

Halo Franchise: *sigh* Yup, THAT franchise. It's been attacked by a lot of assholes and idiots (Like 98.99% of Gametrailers.com's userbase) on the net. I have played many bad games in my life, and the Halo series are not one of them and nor are they close. The first Halo was an amazing console FPS, that in my opinion, outdid many of the PC offerings. The sequels weren't as good, but they're still solid games and don't deserve flak either. Even ODST was good game despite it being an overpriced expansion pack. Yes, the Halo fanboys are annoying (Though they're a dying breed right now), but the Halo haters are even worse.

"

Not to start shit, but what exactly did Halo do that out did PC offerings? I feel that Halo:CE was nothing more than a PC game transfered to console. For Console, the game sold and people loved it. Then the ported it to PC.... and that well did ...well.
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@zityz said:
" @DoctorOptimist said:

Halo Franchise: *sigh* Yup, THAT franchise. It's been attacked by a lot of assholes and idiots (Like 98.99% of Gametrailers.com's userbase) on the net. I have played many bad games in my life, and the Halo series are not one of them and nor are they close. The first Halo was an amazing console FPS, that in my opinion, outdid many of the PC offerings. The sequels weren't as good, but they're still solid games and don't deserve flak either. Even ODST was good game despite it being an overpriced expansion pack. Yes, the Halo fanboys are annoying (Though they're a dying breed right now), but the Halo haters are even worse.

"
Not to start shit, but what exactly did Halo do that out did PC offerings? I feel that Halo:CE was nothing more than a PC game transfered to console. For Console, the game sold and people loved it. Then the ported it to PC.... and that well did ...well. "
Well I don't mean that is if it was my favorite FPS of all time, but it would definitely be in the top 10. 

I would explain why I believe Halo outdid most PC shooters, but I'll allow Greg Kasavin a.k.a. the best gamespot editor ever to explain: 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I've played nothing there but the Halo games, and I agree with them getting a lot of unnecessary disrespect.

I'd also like to add Super Mario Sunshine, which I still think is a better game than Mario Galaxy. Plus I agree that RE5 is a much better game than it's given credit for.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MajorToms

I'm actually surprised at the amount of awful reviews their were towards the original Assassin's Creed. Considering is was a step in a good direction in terms of building traversal, the backlash was, in my opinion, mostly due to the copious amounts of hype it got. The combat system is it's only real glare, though you can also say the optional repetitive side quests were too and people bashed the hell out of it. Come 'round to Assassin's Creed 2 and the only real thing that's drastically changed is the side jobs and it's a huge success. They did add shops and inventory, but the combat was still a glare; Go figure?

I have to say Final Fantasy 11 was a great, well thought out game, yet so many people hated it and hated on it.. I couldn't understand the hate towards this game other than that it wasn't what people were expecting. The shear fact that it was an MMO and Final Fantasy game maybe contributed towards this, because you were either unwilling to pay monthly or weren't a final fantasy fan and hate on the franchise as it is. That being said, I did play WoW during my FFXI experience and put it down almost instantly. Something about FFXI kept me coming back and kept my interest in a mature setting. I feel WoW graphics make the game less interesting considering the content it explores. But that's Blizzard's style and I'm not really into it.

What really shocked me was how badly Final Fantasy 12, was recieved. For a game that took the greatest part of FFXI and put it in an offline game (Free roam = no monotonous random battles) which turn it into less of a JRPG. I have to say I was thoroughly amazed at it's reception. Sure the characters were cookie cutter square characters, but at least they tried going in a newer direction with a tradition Final Fantasy title.  Compare the combat system to that of Dragon Age or Final Fantasy 13 and see the resemblance. The former was a renowned game and the latter was only hailed for having a good combat system. However, both games roots tie back to FFXII. Why so badly received then?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By BoOzak
@Aronman789: 
Totally agree with you when it comes to Risen. Yeah it wasnt very polished but there was nothing game breaking. Gothic 3 on the other hand was utterly unplayable when it launched (my old system could run oblivion on high & i couldnt get that game to run smoothly on low/med) i think claiming that it doesnt deserve the flak it got by the community is a bit ridiculous. Any game that is as terribly optimised and is plagued by glitches & bugs deserves everything it gets, and the fact that the community were the ones who had to peice together the wrekage just shows how little the developers cared. (glad they cleaned up their act for Risen though)

On Topic: pretty sure there's already been a thread like this:
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/what-game-do-you-love-that-everyone-hates/397597/
But anyway, i agree with the OP Halo, Alpha Protocol & Crysis were all great games. (some more-so than others)

Here's a list of games that I think didnt deserve the hate:
Sonic Adventure, Shenmue Series, MK: Deadly Alliance, GTAIV, (if you want old shool chaos inspired sandboxs play Saints Row for people who actually want something different play this) Ninja Gaiden 2, (Xbox 360 version) Super Mario Sunshine, (not quite the revolutionary sequel to Mario 64 everyone was expecting but it was still a fun game) Oddworld: Much's oddysee, Luigis Mansion (not exaclty a survival horror but a pretty decent, quirky adventure game nonetheless) Zelda: Windwaker & Majora's Mask. (..again it doesnt hurt to be different)  

@Glak

said:

" Basically any games that are popular, people will hate it for no reason just because it's popular Sure some people just don't care for that game, but too many hate on games like Halo and GTAIV just cause "

The ironic thing is most people who cry hate on these franshises do so because they think it makes them more distinguished and unique when in reality there just doing what everyone else is doing and becoming part of the majority.
For example i didnt like Modern Warfare 1 & 2 as i'm aware many others didnt also (mainly just the sequel, tbh i think it went downhill after cod 2) but i can still acknowledge that their good games just not what i was expecting.

EDIT: Forgot to mention F.E.A.R 2 while I prefered the original this was still a great FPS and while it was obviously more catered to consoles it's still a worthy sequel that stayed true to F.E.A.R.'s, mix of horror, close quarters gunplay, and creepy little girls. 
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Aronman789
@BoOzak:  Nah man, what I was trying to say about Gothic 3 was that even though people have gone to the lengths to fix the most of the bugs, people still bitch about them, and back when it came out it did deserve that flank, but now that the bugs aren't really much of a problem they shouldn't really be a reason to flank the game anymore, the story and gameplay of the game should be the things that matters now, not the bugs, but people still flank the game just for the bugs.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By sodiumCyclops

It's great we have massive expectations for games these days.

Why would any consumer want to settle with a product that's not good? 

We can't be expected to go around and respect every single game if they are NOT good games.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By HandsomeDead

I had a lot of fun with ODST. When you consider Vice City was originally an expansion pack too, that excuse falls flat.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By one_2nd

The halo franchise def, MW2, Assassin's Creed 1, and there was one more I can't remember now..

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By BoOzak
@Aronman789:  Fair enough, I have a friend who recently went back to Gothic 3 to see if the patches really made much of a difference but he still claimed it was broken, but then again he hated Risen and that was pretty much what i thought Gothic 3 was meant to be. But i'll give it go, there really arent enough decent PC RPGs these days with the exeception of The Witcher & Dragon Age. (with Dragon Age 2 following the trend of being "streamlined")
Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Gotta be Halo 3. Never has such a great franchise had to put up with so many snobs shitting on it.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@WinterSnowblind: When someone dislikes something while everyone else loves it they start to like it less and less because they hear about it so much.  So in reality they just dislike something but say they hate it because they are surrounded by people that love it.
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@HandsomeDead: Well Vice City was jam packed with replay value and it was a long game to boot. It was a huge improvement over Grand Theft Auto III. Don't get me wrong with ODST, the campaign was great, but I felt it wasn't really worth $60. Considering I already owned all of the Halo 3 map packs, the second disk came off as useless to me. While I immensely enjoyed FireFight, the lack of a matchmaking system really hurt. But I have to admit, I enjoyed the campaign more than Halo 2's and Halo 3's. It had the best campaign since the original. I hope Halo Reach offers the best Halo campaign, that is just as good if not better than Combat Evolved.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By HandsomeDead
@DoctorOptimist: True, I forgot those maps were already available for Halo 3 players. Makes me reconsider what I said.
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By FengShuiGod

Big Rigs

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#100  Edited By Driadon

I agree 100% with Crysis being mentioned. Though it was a little oddly paced due to the large levels in the game, I have to admit playing on the hardest difficulty then planning when to use stealth or come out guns blazing was an exhilarating experience. Plus adding that with the Counter-Strike-ish gameplay in the multiplayer was a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to Crysis 2 if they can keep that rush going and more consistent. 

Battlefield 2142 Is one of these games. I first got into the series with 2142 and had a blast with it. Soon found that a bunch of people said that Battlefield 2 was many times better...just because. So I bought it, played it for 4 hours, uninstalled it, and never touched it again. Something about it just did not scratch the itch that 2142 did and, to this day, still argue it was a better game.