Games you like despite knowing they're bad.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MysteriousBob

This isn't about games that you like but others dislike. This is about games you like that you really know you shouldn't. Guilty pleasures. The rule is that you have to admit they're bad. Popularity is not a factor. Lets see how much gaming credibility you're prepared to shed here.

I quite enjoy playing  Battle Arena Toshinden 3. It has terrible controls, clumsy combos and a broken frame rate. But damn it, it has Ten Count

I also find Bubsy a... playable game. Yeah, I acknowledge its completely broken difficulty (you can run faster than Sonic but one hit from anything will kill you- its absurd) but I still enjoy running around the huge levels. Maybe its just nostalgia. 

Oh yeah, and just because a game got bad reviews doesn't necessarily mean its a bad game. If that were true then God Hand would be defined as a bad game when in fact its one of the greatest games of the last gen.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fbomb

Way of the Samurai 3. 

There's a lot of bad elements to this game (Graphical Elements, Animations, Combat, Voice Acting, Lack of proper explaination to anything...) but I still enjoy beating the game in a sitting or two, and knowing I'll be back to try and get one of the other 15 or so endings.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By gingertastic_10
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

If I think a game is bad, I don't like it.

matrix_hiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By matrix_hiei
@Fbomb said:
" Way of the Samurai 3.   There's a lot of bad elements to this game (Graphical Elements, Animations, Combat, Voice Acting, Lack of proper explaination to anything...) but I still enjoy beating the game in a sitting or two, and knowing I'll be back to try and get one of the other 15 or so endings. "
i've heard this from a lot of people, and the QL made it pretty made official that this is a horrible game that i'm going to love.

for me, there are numerous pc and n64 games that i used to love as a kid that i can still go back to have fun playing even though they kind of sucked to begin with.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob
@FluxWaveZ said:
" If I think a game is bad, I don't like it. "
To accurately review a game you have to deconstruct its components. Controls. Features. Gameplay. Graphics. Sound. Presentation. Review them independently. What I'm looking for are the games you would personally score low for all of these features yet for some mysterious, undefined reason you still enjoy playing.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Romination

YAY I LIKE ENTER THE MATRIX!!!!

A lot.
Too much.

I also like Gauntlet Dark Legacy, which a lot of others didn't

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@MysteriousBob said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

" If I think a game is bad, I don't like it. "
To accurately review a game you have to deconstruct its components. Controls. Features. Gameplay. Graphics. Sound. Presentation. Review them independently. What I'm looking for are the games you would personally score low for all of these features yet for some mysterious, undefined reason you still enjoy playing. "
Ah, I was thinking more of my personal preference and not on the technicalities of the game.  Okay then, mine would probably be Riviera: The Promised Land... maybe.

Edit: Oh and The Matrix: Path of Neo.
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gargantuan

Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By bwooduhs

The Family Guy Video Game. I've played through it like 8 times now.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By L33tfella_H
  • MiB: The Game (first level alone is a fucking masterpiece)
  • Blue Stinger (i just love that game, but...it's not very good)
  • Illbleed (Where do you go after making Blue Stinger?  Answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKl2sgevpKE)

There are countless others out there, and every time i find a new one, puts a smile on my face.
ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By ErgoProxy77
@MysteriousBob: I don't really understand, why should you not like a game if you have fun playing it?  You want me to say a game that I like, but I have to admit it's bad?  
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By beargirl1

DRIV3R. so, SO bad, but so insane and crazy. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

Shenmue and it's sequel.  

edit: 

I love them both. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MysteriousBob
@ErgoProxy77 said:
" @MysteriousBob: I don't really understand, why should you not like a game if you have fun playing it?  You want me to say a game that I like, but I have to admit it's bad?   "
No, no, no. There's no problem with you liking the game. I know what I mean, its just hard to put into words. Its just games you acknowledge are badly made but still have fun playing. Games that defy your best sensibilties. Like my example for Bubsy. Its WAY too easy to die and its juxtaposes with the fast character. It breaks the game and is a bad design choice that destroys the game. Not to mention that Bubsy himself is an uninspired ripoff of Sonic. Its a bad game yet I still can have fun playing it. It seems that others have a good idea so for my inability to explain just check out some of the examples to try and make sense of it. 

Basically its any game you can laugh to yourself and say "Wow, this game is terrible" but still continue to play. Maybe thats never happened to you, which is why you can't answer.
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vaiz

I enjoy Sonic Heroes.

You can now cast me out from Giant Bomb society.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By ErgoProxy77
@MysteriousBob: Oh I see.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pazy

Genji (PS2) and Genji: Days of the Blade (PS3). Both are very basic hack and some slash game with incredibly mild "adventure" things (like a door is locked and the key is always back where you came from). They both control really badly, the AI is bad and cheap (usually takes a beating but everynow and then magically blocks everything and beats you up). But wierdly I like them in the same way I would enjoy replaying Golden Axe, just simple eseentially one button fun.

Killzone (PS2). A basic FPS with some impressive, for the time, graphics which I love because I have a love of reload animations and they rock in this game. Also I love the concept of replaying a level with slightly diffrent paths and slightly diffrent gameplay styles (A guy with an LMG going straight into the enemy, the girl with an SMG who goes through ve ,talation shafts etc.).

Star Trek: Legacy. Its pretty much because i love Star Trek, though its actually not really an (objectivly) bad of a game when it dosent crash my 360.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2. I have no clue why this is fun, probably in a similer way to Genji, plus its so easy I feel like a god when I get my ass kicked in most games (I tend to play on higher difficulties, if its too easy for too long I usually cant be bothered to play). Its a bit like a pallete cleanser after getting owned in Multiplayer or repeating sections of a game on Hard.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MysteriousBob
@punkxblaze said:
" I enjoy Sonic Heroes.  You can now cast me out from Giant Bomb society. "
Not at all, that has to be on my list too. I actually preferred it to the Adventure games because it felt truer to the original series. I mean, they even brought Chaotix back. It wasn't too plot heavy and there were none of those pointless exploration parts. It was just zone to zone.

Although I was only 14 when I last played it. I can't remember it well enough to say for certain whether or not it was as bad as everyone said it was but I can honestly say I did at one point enjoy it.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tenchu Z, I realize it's definitely not a mechanically sound, well made game, but I just love the stealth action and stealth kills so much, I can look past the bad-ness.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoelTGM
@AjayRaz said:
" DRIV3R. so, SO bad, but so insane and crazy.  "
oh yeah, I played that game for so many hours, but not the story because it sucked, I spent most of my time setting up cameras and staging car chases and shootouts.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By beargirl1
@DOUBLESHOCK: haha, me too. the replays were the best part of the game. 
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By StarFoxA
@punkxblaze said:
" I enjoy Sonic Heroes.  You can now cast me out from Giant Bomb society. "
I actually liked that game too.

And Lego Indiana Jones.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MysteriousBob

Can't believe I forgot this

Posting a video because it explains better than words what this game is. I do enjoy playing it even though it is the second worst fighting game I've ever played with the slowest, most unresponsive controls known to man and lack of any AI. Its so bad, its great. Just check out the characters and fatalities! No part of it is even remotely decent. 

The number one worst fighting game I've ever played (Bloodstorm) on the other hand is just so bad it makes me cry. Hell, its so bad it doesn't even have a GB page.
Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Blubba

I enjoy both Sonic Adventures. 

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

WHAAAAAAT? Nobody has said the "B" word yet! 

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing!!!!!
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pazy
@xobballox said:
" Tenchu Z, I realize it's definitely not a mechanically sound, well made game, but I just love the stealth action and stealth kills so much, I can look past the bad-ness. "

Oh ye i forgot about Tenchu Z, that was me and my best friends go to game for about a month and we would do the same mission one after the other (him being slow and methodical and me running like a fool). I love that game! Im so going to buy it again now lol
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By rjayb89
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vaiz
@Blubba said:
" I enjoy both Sonic Adventures.  "
I fell in love with Sonic Adventure 2 when I was thirteen and continue to play it on a regular basis. The first one holds a special place in my heart for being what it is.
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By crusnchill

The original assassin's creed. In my oppinion I like it, but I think it's bad anyway. Maybe I hate myself. lol. 

Also, I REALLY like Splinter Cell: Double Agent and can't understand why a majority don't like it. :-) 
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Enter the Matrix for PS2 is great IMO.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Red

I spent 70 hours playing Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 on the Wii. 
I really liked the GBA Dragon Ball Z RPGs, although the first one was pretty bad. 
Final Fantasy II is a great game.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MysteriousBob
Final Fantasy VIII is one of the few FF games I really enjoy despite all the fans of the series hating it. Its gameplay (the draw system) is kind of broken and the guardian... thing (my mind has gone blank as to what it was called) was way too abstract and forced you to keep going to the menus whenever your party changed. However unlike most FF games, I loved the setting, the presentation and the characters. So I really like that game despite it not being very good in the one area that counts- the gameplay. 

I remember the Gamespot Playstation retrospective where Brad said he wondered why everyone hated FFVIII regardless of its obvious flaws.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Matrix Path of Neo....The combat was AWESOME! 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Vonocourt
Bionicle for GC, played through it every morning before school for like two weeks back in eigth grade.