Games you wished you had experienced when they were new?

• 141 results
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MysteriousBob

Just curious if there are any games you've played years after their original release and enjoyed- but it made you wish you had played them before. Before they were considered throwbacks or retro. This could be because of a cultural buzz around them 'back in the day' or because of dated gameplay mechanics or graphics. Maybe you wished you had played them earlier just because you feel annoyed you missed out on such an awesome game to begin with. 

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror

Doom / Wolfenstein 3D

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Vagrant Story. Supposed a very well acclaimed RPG for the ps1 though it's far too dated for me to get much enjoyment out of it =/

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

I would like to say Final Fantasy VII. I don't know whether or not I would have liked it and I'll never know now because I simply can't get past the horrible graphics. Yes, I know graphics 'don't matter' but those lego figures really make me disconnect with the seriousness of the plot. I can't associate the lego people of the gameplay graphics with the normal looking people of the pre-rendered cutscenes and artwork. If I played it back then I probably would have never had an issue. 

I can see why they want that game remade...

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

There are a lot of PS1 games that I wouldn't mind getting into, but holy crap do old 3D graphics age terribly.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Some older games like Saint's Row 2 or Turok, always fun to play a bit of failed multiplayer with random people instead of die hard no lifers who have insane ranks in games nobody even remembers :P

And Mass Effect, I picked it up for 20 euro's, dunno when, maybe 2 years ago something, and after finishing it I felt so bad I didn't pay the full the 60 so I bought the classic edition later, the ME1 Collectors Edition and the pc version, just to give em what they deserve. <3

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By GunstarRed

Borderlands. I just kept putting it off and off and when I finally got around to it I realized i'd been missing one of the best games of this generation. 

I also only got around to playing Strider 1/2 this year... I wish I'd have played that as a kid.
djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By djaoni

Borderlands? Saint's Row 2 and Turok? Those are retro and throwbacks now?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob
@marioncobretti said:
" Borderlands. I just kept putting it off and off and when I finally got around to it I realized i'd been missing one of the best games of this generation. "
That game isn't even a year old. I think its time is still going.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

Hmmm.  I think I would say Stunts and Wing Commander for PC.  I didn't have an IBM PC at all until 1993.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By GunstarRed
@MysteriousBob:
i know...haha I just wanted to share my love for it.. 

(I did mention Strider though)
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Half-Life 2 hands fucking down and not down the pants

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By MMkain
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" Half-Life 2 hands fucking down and not down the pants "

I remember staying up all night waiting for the steam unlock so that I could play it before going to school. Most hyped I have ever been for a game. 

I wish I had played Metal Gear Solid when it was new. I really enjoyed the fiction of the game; however, the graphics and  gameplay do not stand the test of time. I also wish that I could have experienced SFII during its heyday in the arcade.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@MMkain said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" Half-Life 2 hands fucking down and not down the pants "

I remember staying up all night waiting for its release so that I could play it before going to school. Most hyped I have ever been for a game.  "
I envy you.. my first gaming years (2000-2006) were quite slow and boring. didnt actually own a good gaming platform and only played a few games over those years, here and there 

my very first Valve experience was with the Orange Box which came out the same year i bought my kickass PC. i wish i'd played HL2 before 2007 =/
Foot369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Foot369

I would've liked to have experienced the arcade scene. MK or street fighter would be bananas.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Jimbo

EVE

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Chyro

Hmm.

Probably the Ultima Series.  I started playing games around the Wolfenstein 3D and Doom era.  Hell I don't even know if those games had already been out by then.  But I never got to play them.  That and probably the Lucas Arts puzzle games.  Really all the ones I have played just piss me off.  Great story and they are hilarious but it just ends up being a pixel hunt kind of thing.  I.E.  Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle.  Maybe I would have more appreciation for them if I had played them back then.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Half-Life 2. Didn't play it until last year.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ragdrazi
@RhombusOfTerror said:
" Doom / Wolfenstein 3D "
I was down in California, and my aunt's boyfriend had it. I played it for a while, but I was such a brainwashed little fundy at the time that I thought I was going to hell for doing it.
SeriousCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriousCat

Ocarina of Time.

I've actually still have never played it even though I was heavily into N64 when it came out.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FunExplosions

Half-Life 1 and Baldur's Gate II. I played Baldur's Gate II into the ground. And still do play it, but that was at least five years after it had come out. I can't imagine how awesome that game would have felt, were I to play it from day 1.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JB16

Deus Ex, I'm sure back in 2000 it was the shit!! But now it's just okay, I think most people that praise Deus Ex are doing it mainly off nostalgia factor.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Deus Ex, definitely.  I absolutely love that game, and I only played it for the first time last week.  I can't imagine how I would have felt if I had played it when it had just gotten released.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Willy105

Ocarina of Time.

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess make the game look like a joke, but it's annoying how everyone seems to remember how incredible Ocarina of Time was.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Levio

There's a turn based game called Kingdom of Loathing which is kinda indie but really really really fun.  Unfortunately, as with all turn based games, all newcomers are at such huge disadvantages they will never catch up (in this case, rare items that are very powerful are now extremely hard to get).  If only I had started when it was released...

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ComradeKritstov
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Deus Ex, definitely.  I absolutely love that game, and I only played it for the first time last week.  I can't imagine how I would have felt if I had played it when it had just gotten released. "
Thank goodness for Steam sales. Deus Ex for me too.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ragdrazi
@MysteriousBob said:

" I would like to say Final Fantasy VII. I don't know whether or not I would have liked it and I'll never know now because I simply can't get past the horrible graphics. Yes, I know graphics 'don't matter' but those lego figures really make me disconnect with the seriousness of the plot. I can't associate the lego people of the gameplay graphics with the normal looking people of the pre-rendered cutscenes and artwork. If I played it back then I probably would have never had an issue.  I can see why they want that game remade... "

You know they anime faces look really cutesy but when they're used tell a serious story it can be affecting. It was the same thing. Also, the music really carried the scenes.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Jeust
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" There are a lot of PS1 games that I wouldn't mind getting into, but holy crap do old 3D graphics age terribly. "
Yep. I would have loved to play the first Silent Hill game when it came out. Now it looks like Legos. So much for fear... :(
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ragdrazi
@FunExplosions said:

" Half-Life 1 and Baldur's Gate II. I played Baldur's Gate II into the ground. And still do play it, but that was at least five years after it had come out. I can't imagine how awesome that game would have felt, were I to play it from day 1. "

And yet gramps keeps talking.

I remember that I was just starting to get out of the church when the first Half-Life came along. I actually downloaded the demo. It was not a demo of an early level. They'd made a "demo" level which more or less encapsulated the entire story of the game. I thought it was the sickest thing I'd ever seen. The blood and gibs bouncing around. It seemed stark and horrifying. But it was like a car accident and you couldn't look away, and I happily bought that game as soon as I could. It was amazing, and honestly felt really different than Half-Life 2. It was a much darker much more paranoid and lonely game.

Baldur's Gate II I picked up the moment it came out, and I never liked it. I loved the first Baldur's Gate, but it seemed like the second sort of took what I liked about the first one and threw it away. I hated how close together everything was. Everything felt like being in an over crowded city, (which matched my new found adult life) not like being on a long, free, and epic journey. I honestly didn't like much of the quests either. They got rid of Khalid and he was my favorite character. Honestly, as abstract as this sounds, it felt to me more like the first game was grounded in reality, where as the second seemed to really want to pump in the fantasy cliches about "mighty heroes." Anyway, went back to it years later and honestly, I think I'd judged it too harshly.
Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rebirth1337
Morrowind. 
masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By masterherocard

I'm gonna cheat and just say "Any critically acclaimed game that didn't age well".
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Jeust said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" There are a lot of PS1 games that I wouldn't mind getting into, but holy crap do old 3D graphics age terribly. "
Yep. I would have loved to play the first Silent Hill game when it came out. Now it looks like Legos. So much for fear... :( "
It was great. It is the only "horror game" I've ever played that scared me when I wasn't playing too. Stepping on metal grating, that clank-clank noise, scared me for months afterward. Still kind of freaks me out.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Daveyo520

Half-Life
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By schizogony

Man, I've experience pretty much every worthwhile game when it was new since the first Metroid over 20 years ago. 

Going back further than that, I guess Pac-Man.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Super Mario Wold for the SNES. Unfortunately I missed out on the entire SNES era as I only had the orignal NES and when that died I got the SEGA Mega Drive, that and i was only 2 when it came out.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeust
@Ragdrazi said:
" @Jeust said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
Yep. I would have loved to play the first Silent Hill game when it came out. Now it looks like Legos. So much for fear... :( "
It was great. It is the only "horror game" I've ever played that scared me when I wasn't playing too. Stepping on metal grating, that clank-clank noise, scared me for months afterward. Still kind of freaks me out. "
I hope you can understand how much i hate you right now.  

I'm joking, although i'll never feel that way about the game. :(
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#38  Edited By sjschmidt93

I guess HL2 because I didn't play it till late 2008 and it's pretty much the most overrated game ever.

lukusluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lukusluke

You want to experience APB while it's new, don't miss your chance!

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By andrela

The first quake and techmo bowl

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Jeust said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Jeust said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
It was great. It is the only "horror game" I've ever played that scared me when I wasn't playing too. Stepping on metal grating, that clank-clank noise, scared me for months afterward. Still kind of freaks me out. "
I hope you can understand how much i hate you right now.   I'm joking, although i'll never feel that way about the game. :( "
I drink in your hate. Umm, it is delicious.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeust
@Ragdrazi said:

" @Jeust said:

" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Jeust said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
I hope you can understand how much i hate you right now.   I'm joking, although i'll never feel that way about the game. :( "
I drink in your hate. Umm, it is delicious. "
I know ^^ 

Lucky bastard!
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#43  Edited By ImperiousRix

The first Fable.  My understanding is that, even when it was new, it was a bit of a disappointment, but when I played it for the first time years after its release, I thought it was complete and utter shit. 
That didn't stop my enjoyment of the sequel, but it certainly has colored my impressions of the series as one that is terribly inconsistent.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Ace829

Final Fantasy VI. I ended up playing the PS1 port and GBA port. Never played it on the SNES though. :(

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ragdrazi
@ImperiousRix said:
" The first Fable.  My understanding is that, even when it was new, it was a bit of a disappointment, but when I played it for the first time years after its release, I thought it was complete and utter shit. That didn't stop my enjoyment of the sequel, but it certainly has colored my impressions of the series as one that is terribly inconsistent. "
Played it new and thought it was complete and utter shit. I remember everyone I talked to going on and on about how great it was though. Just wanted to slap them. I haven't picked up Fable 2 because of my experiences with it. Maybe I should give it a try.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jeust
@Ragdrazi said:

" @ImperiousRix said:

" The first Fable.  My understanding is that, even when it was new, it was a bit of a disappointment, but when I played it for the first time years after its release, I thought it was complete and utter shit. That didn't stop my enjoyment of the sequel, but it certainly has colored my impressions of the series as one that is terribly inconsistent. "

Played it new and thought it was complete and utter shit. I remember everyone I talked to going on and on about how great it was though. Just wanted to slap them. I haven't picked up Fable 2 because of my experiences with it. Maybe I should give it a try. "
I liked it a lot. And to me it didn't age badly. I think that it's more a polarizing game. Some people love it, others hate it. 

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is another game that comes to mind. Playing it after Circle of the Moon, Dawn of Sorrow and Aria of Sorrow doesn't have the same appeal. 
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpiralStairs

I wish I could have experienced the Metal Gear Solid saga back when they came out. I've spent my summer playing all 4 core titles, and they're some of the best I've ever played, but I regret not playing them back then when I had a chance to experience them first.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#48  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Jeust:  I suppose Fable is just one of those games.  I just kinda assumed you needed to play it at release because I found the presentation and mechanics pretty archaic by the time I had played it. 

And I played Symphony of the Night following Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin, and still hold it in the same regard if not in HIGHER regard than those two games.  I think it holds up phenomenally today.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jeust
@ImperiousRix said:

" @Jeust:  I suppose Fable is just one of those games.  I just kinda assumed you needed to play it at release because I found the presentation and mechanics pretty archaic by the time I had played it.  And I played Symphony of the Night following Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin, and still hold it in the same regard if not in HIGHER regard than those two games.  I think it holds up phenomenally today. "

If you look closely at Fable 2 those mechanics didn't really evolved.  

SOTN holds up to the successors, but it looks like a step backwards. The map is confusing, the acting laughable, the visuals aren't up to snuff, the drawings while good, i prefer the more anime kind... All and all it's a great game, but shows its age. I feel that probably because i was blown out of the water by Circle of the Moon when i picked up the GBA at launch. And i can't help but feel the game dated.
adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By adoggz

I have to agree with everyone who said Deus Ex. I first played it a few years ago and It would be nice to have experienced it when it looked good and whatnot. Besides that, I'm going to have to say half life and FF7 although I probably would not have liked the game back then. It would be nice to know what that game was all about back when it wasn't a horrible piece of crap judt to understand why some people are all over that game. Also, it doesn't count but KOTOR. I've played the crap out of that game, and I love it to death. I know every decision and option and thing about that game. If I could wipe every time that i have played that game from my mind and go back into the past as my current self I feel that I would love that game so much more. I want a KOTOR 3 Bioware.