Gaming update - 05/13/2009

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm stealing the format and style of this blog blatantly from Brandy, who writes one hell of a good read if you ever feel like browsing.  This will hopefully be a semi-regular update on games I'm playing and quick thoughts, as well as provide you with random information relating to Giant Bomb and games.

• After three years, my Xbox 360 finally is giving out on me.  Last week, it began to make a grinding sound whenever I'd turn it on, similar to the sound an older PC would make when its fans gave out.  Microsoft is sending a box to ship it back, and will hopefully have a new or fixed 360 soon.  I'm disappointed that it would happen just shortly before Broken Steel came out for Fallout 3, as I was pumped for that expansion.  Now I'll have to wait a bit to bring my morally ambigous character into the next chapter of Fallout.

• In the meantime, I've been going back through my library of Wii games.  I'm playing through Super Mario Galaxy, and plan on beating it for the first time.  I'm not super crazy about some of the level designs (the haunted mansion galaxy irritates the heck out of me), so I doubt I'll be collecting every last little star.  However, the game itself is a blast.  I've also been playing a ton of Mario Kart, which I'm absolutely awful at.  it's easily my favorite game on the Wii so far, and I'm having fun alternating between solo play to unlock characters and online multiplayer.

• Along those notes, if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on classic RPG's on the Virtual Console, I'd really appreciate them.  I've purchased Super Mario RPG, and enjoyed it (I've got a review up on this site), and am thinking about purchasing another.  I was leaning towards either one of the Phantasy Star or Shining Force games, but I'm unsure which to go with or what games in either series are worth playing.

• The PS3 is getting a little less love than normal this week, but I'm excited for Infamous to come out so I can play a demo of it at Play and Trade.  I'm not entirely sold on it, but it looks like a blast.  I've also been debating my next PS3 game purchase or possibly buying a new PS2 so I can finally get back to playing some of my older unplayed games on that system.  I've still gotta play through Kingdom Hearts, God of War, and Persona 4, and I'd like to play through Rogue Galaxy one more time.  I've still gotta go through and beat Metal Gear Solid 4, but the "sneak and follow" mission halfway through really irritates the hell out of me thanks to my poor vision.

So, what are you all playing?  Up to anything fun?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm stealing the format and style of this blog blatantly from Brandy, who writes one hell of a good read if you ever feel like browsing.  This will hopefully be a semi-regular update on games I'm playing and quick thoughts, as well as provide you with random information relating to Giant Bomb and games.

• After three years, my Xbox 360 finally is giving out on me.  Last week, it began to make a grinding sound whenever I'd turn it on, similar to the sound an older PC would make when its fans gave out.  Microsoft is sending a box to ship it back, and will hopefully have a new or fixed 360 soon.  I'm disappointed that it would happen just shortly before Broken Steel came out for Fallout 3, as I was pumped for that expansion.  Now I'll have to wait a bit to bring my morally ambigous character into the next chapter of Fallout.

• In the meantime, I've been going back through my library of Wii games.  I'm playing through Super Mario Galaxy, and plan on beating it for the first time.  I'm not super crazy about some of the level designs (the haunted mansion galaxy irritates the heck out of me), so I doubt I'll be collecting every last little star.  However, the game itself is a blast.  I've also been playing a ton of Mario Kart, which I'm absolutely awful at.  it's easily my favorite game on the Wii so far, and I'm having fun alternating between solo play to unlock characters and online multiplayer.

• Along those notes, if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on classic RPG's on the Virtual Console, I'd really appreciate them.  I've purchased Super Mario RPG, and enjoyed it (I've got a review up on this site), and am thinking about purchasing another.  I was leaning towards either one of the Phantasy Star or Shining Force games, but I'm unsure which to go with or what games in either series are worth playing.

• The PS3 is getting a little less love than normal this week, but I'm excited for Infamous to come out so I can play a demo of it at Play and Trade.  I'm not entirely sold on it, but it looks like a blast.  I've also been debating my next PS3 game purchase or possibly buying a new PS2 so I can finally get back to playing some of my older unplayed games on that system.  I've still gotta play through Kingdom Hearts, God of War, and Persona 4, and I'd like to play through Rogue Galaxy one more time.  I've still gotta go through and beat Metal Gear Solid 4, but the "sneak and follow" mission halfway through really irritates the hell out of me thanks to my poor vision.

So, what are you all playing?  Up to anything fun?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, instead of buying Phantasy Star for the Wii, why not get the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection and get all 4 of them as well as a bunch of other games for $30? As you can tell, I love that game. It's a great deal. And I do need to beat MGS4 myself. I feel dirty for playing other games when that one is still available and ready to play. So far, I love it, but.....I am having a lack of motivation (summer can't come soon enough).

And sorry about the 360 problem. Everyone goes through it sometime or later....except Vinny. What black magic does he perform to do this?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

That's a great suggestion!  Just looked at the other games included, and there's a ton of others I'd love to play too.  Definitely going to nab that one today, probably along with Animal Crossing.  Thanks!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I've been playing Assassin's Creed on my 360. It's not as bad as some people have said. I like the climbing all over stuff, so far that hasn't got old. I've always been fascinated with that time in earth's history, so it's pretty cool to visit these old cities.

What I'm really waiting for is Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii. I preordered it with motion plus, it will be in my hands June 9th, can't wait. I'm still playing Tiger Woods 09, but it's getting harder to pick up and play knowing a better version "should be" is right around the corner. I still play Mario Kart Wii too, it still serves its purpose of fun to be had.

Oh and sorry about the 360, I try and not think about such things, mine is only a year old... knock on wood.

Brandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Brandy

Wow, thanks much for the shoutout! Guess I might have to start writing more again! :-P KH and God of War - yes and yes! Great games there! Bought GoW at a yard sale for $5 - some of the best money I ever spent! I don't have either Super Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart Wii, although I do have a wheel, so that's not what's stopping me. Have you played Super Mario Sunshine? Is Galaxy anywhere near as frustrating as Sunshine? If so, then I'll be glad I've held off on purchasing it.