• 87 results
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

Poll Generated Character of the Generation: FINALS (479 votes)

Commander Shepard (Mass Effect) 66%
The Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) 34%

(Hub Thread)

This is it, folks! The finals for the Characters of the Generation are upon us! (And I'm sure some of you can't wait for these polls to just be over.) The final two enter, but only one can win. Polls close at 9PM Pacific on Friday, December 13th.

• 
Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Flappy

MASS EFFECT MUST NOT WIN!*

*I'm totally fine with either outcome. It's been a nice run, ladies and gentlemen.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Sheps

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Tsukiko Kinian.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Nathan Drake didnt make it? That's insane... Well, at least I can see mass effect bring shame to the dark souls fanboys for a second time

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Nathan Drake didnt make it? That's insane... Well, at least I can see mass effect bring shame to the dark souls fanboys for a second time

Nathan Drake was in the male bracket, not the generated character bracket. Either way, he didn't make it to the finals.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ass Effect's Shepard

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar

Kind of surprised Chosen Undead made it this far. Voting for Dark Souls even though this is the only category in which Mass Effect can claim qualitative superiority.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Man, fuck you guys and your Mass Effect love. Jesus christ. Every poll that Mass Effect is in it wins. Its so boring.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Man, fuck you guys and your Mass Effect love. Jesus christ. Every poll that Mass Effect is in it wins. Its so boring.

I don't know if it will win in the Male category...

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By maverick1

it's going to be funny seeing all the dark souls fanboys get butthurt again.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Look buddy, it's not our fault Dark Souls pales in comparison to Mass Effect. It's okay though, Dark Souls is a good little hand, it's a great B+ player! I'm not saying Dark Souls can't win some other award like "Best Engrish", it's just punching above its weight here, that's all.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Is this secretly a GOTG rematch?

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I understand why Shepard would get this far and probably win, but the constant praising of him/her in the game really got on my nerves after awhile. I get why they did it, in a game about choice she/he kind of always has to be in the middle of everything, it just got annoying hearing everyone say she/he has done the impossible every other mission.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Mass Effect is the Citizen Kane of video games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BisonHero  Online

Is this secretly a GOTG rematch?

Haha, yeah, it is suspiciously similar. Basically, Mass Effect is the populist, damn-near-everybody-played-it-and-what's-not-to-like vote, while Dark Souls is the cult favourite where it didn't sell nearly as well, but everybody who played it absolutely loves it to death. I fine with how most of these polls went, but oh boy, was it ever silly how far Mass Effect 1 and 2 got in Soundtrack of the Generation.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LackingSaint

The fact that the Chosen Undead got this far and is still not losing losing by a landslide is a prime example of why I have gotten so soured on the Dark Souls fanbase. Yeah, Mass Effect had a lot of characters in this competition. A large part of the Mass Effect games are centered around character recruitment and interaction. You don't need to vote up anything to do with Dark Souls in any any category regardless of whether it makes an iota of sense, just because you really like it.

It lost Soundtrack of the Year, it lost Female Character of the Year, it's going to lose Male Character of the Year. Apart from GOTG this is the only poll it's going to win, and that's only because The Chosen Undead isn't actually a character. It's almost as if you have some kind of bia here.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it, I didn't know The Boss had lost! Oh well, better go with Shepard then, as the most The Chosen Undead says is 'ARG!'. I love Dark Souls, but my character ain't the reason why.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, so The Chosen Undead doesn't even speak, right? No showing of emotions, no nothing? Really, you could play as a can of baked beans with arms and legs, and it would have zero impact on the story/progression, right? I get that people love Dark Souls, but...

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UlquioKani

It was probably unfair to put Shepard into the generated character bracket because he has way more personality than any generated characters does. This category always seemed weird to me. What are you comparing when you decide on a better generated character?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sinusoidal

it's going to lose Male Character of the Year

It's exactly 50/50 right now. Garrus is making up for lost time big time and looks to probably take over.

Like the guy you quoted, I can't help but feel that Mass Effect is winning everything only because it's multi-platform, it sold very well and everyone's just voting for the game they recognize. Which is perfectly fair since this is a poll after all.

This might be the only category Mass Effect does deserve to win.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ulquiokani said:

It was probably unfair to put Shepard into the generated character bracket because he has way more personality than any generated characters does. This category always seemed weird to me. What are you comparing when you decide on a better generated character?

I would say the boss in Saints Row is the other generated character nomination that feels as fully realized as Shepard while still allowing some customization; unfortunately, they faced each other previously.

But it is true, both Shepard and the Boss are customizable only in appearance and some details (like voice acting and background story), which allows for a lot more depth than Dovahkiin or The Courier, for example. However, he is the best character out of these two, because the Dark Souls one barely is. It could have been a stick figure without a face and it would have made no difference to the game at all...

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Clonedzero

Wait, why is the chosen undead one of the best? I mean i get it, i love dark souls too. But really? The chosen undead is one of the best generated characters of the year?

These polls are awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@meatball: Commander Shepard is the face of video games, and what's best for business!

All this is building up for the Chosen Undead to overcome the odds again. Youdefeatedlol.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@demoskinos said:

No. Just no.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hint... it's the one that's actually a character. Nothing against Dark Souls.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

@theht said:

@demoskinos said:

No. Just no.

to be fair, citizen kane isnt even the citizen kane of movies. If anyone thinks that's the greatest movie of all time, they are dead fucking wrong. That phrase is just idiotic.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Boss lost the semifinals? Noooooooo.....

Stefanten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both of these make no sense for this category and shouldn't even have been nominees.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i love Mass Effect but dear god if i came face to face with commander Shepard i could only laugh every time something painfully obvious, horribly patronizing, or stupidly simple came out of his mouth, which is constantly.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AMyggen

@random45: I think he/she is kidding with that comment :)

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93 said:

@random45 said:

@theht said:

@demoskinos said:

No. Just no.

to be fair, citizen kane isnt even the citizen kane of movies. If anyone thinks that's the greatest movie of all time, they are dead fucking wrong. That phrase is just idiotic.

The phrase is not used to categorize the greatest movie of all time, but the breaking point movie that changed the way the world saw movies. Before the success of Citizen Kane, movies were considered nothing more than entertainment and distractions. With Citizen Kane, the world came the realization that they could be used for artistic expression of the author, the realization that they were actually a new medium, different than the other ones.

And yes, Mass Effect is not the Citizen Kane of video games. However, its still a pretty damn good video game.

ChuckDeNomolos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty 4 is the game of the generation, fuckers. And I don't even like it that much, but it's more influential and defining of a generation than terrible Star Trek fan fiction that played like Gears of War on heroin. Dark Souls is the Game of the Niche.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty 4 is the game of the generation, fuckers. And I don't even like it that much, but it's more influential and defining of a generation than terrible Star Trek fan fiction that played like Gears of War on heroin. Dark Souls is the Game of the Niche.

This ain't what this thread is about, yo. Despite how painfully obvious it is that people are voting for The Chosen Undead because they like Dark Souls.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd choose Dragon's Dogma generated characters over both of these.

ChuckDeNomolos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chuckdenomolos said:

This ain't what this thread is about, yo. Despite how painfully obvious it is that people are voting for The Chosen Undead because they like Dark Souls.

Sorry, just had an old man shouting from his porch moment. Though, really, people are voting between an empty husk they can make look pretty, and the Dark Souls player avatar?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been paying attention to these poll, but that the avatar in Dark Souls made it to the final has to be a troll, right? The character has absolutely no personality. I'm going with Shepard.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By csl316

Shepard's a great character that does great things. Generated or not, he/she has a ton of personality.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@hermes said:

@naru_joe93 said:

The phrase is not used to categorize the greatest movie of all time, but the breaking point movie that changed the way the world saw movies. Before the success of Citizen Kane, movies were considered nothing more than entertainment and distractions. With Citizen Kane, the world came the realization that they could be used for artistic expression of the author, the realization that they were actually a new medium, different than the other ones.

And yes, Mass Effect is not the Citizen Kane of video games. However, its still a pretty damn good video game.

N... no. Citizen Kane is a big deal because it was a huge stylistic leap forward in what movies were capable of. Movies were a big fucking deal from day one, had been recognized artistically for years at that point.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah...these polls have taught me that hating games just because others like them is still a thing. The internet will always be the internet, I guess =/

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Chosen Undead's not even a character; what the hell people?.

CrunchyPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CrunchyPickles
@bane122 said:

It depends on how you define a character. In terms of dialogue, obviously CU isn't there at all. But in terms of actions that affect the story, then yeah he/she's a pretty viable contender. Personally I voted for CU not just because I've never been a big Mass Effect Fan, but I generally prefer characters that aren't just universally praised as some kind of savior. CU was thrust into a world full of beings that wanted nothing more than to manipulate him/her into doing their work for them. Even the term "Chosen Undead" plays into that; he/she wasn't really all that special, just the first to come along that actually managed to get to the goal.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By musubi

@lackingsaint: I think Mass Effect is an awful series that gets WAY to much credit. Its not even Bioware's 2nd best franchise much less its best.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pezen

Shepard.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@demoskinos said:

@lackingsaint: I think Mass Effect is an awful series that gets WAY to much credit. Its not even Bioware's 2nd best franchise much less its best.

Cool, but you're very clearly in the minority here and getting mad about it is pointless. Chill. And, as others have said, the Chosen Undead isn't even a character. He/she should never have gotten this far.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Guesty_01

EASILY the chosen undead. YOU DEFEATED.......commander Shepard.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bane122

It depends on how you define a character.

A fair point. For me, someone with no personality is not a character. That's my biggest issue with most silent protagonists like CU, Gordon Freeman, and Chono. There's just nothing there but pixels or polygons through which the players acts.

I really do think CU only got this far either because Dark Souls or to stop Mass Effect from winning again, though. I'm playing through DS for the first time right now and nothing I've seen comes close to Shepard or The Boss from Saints Row. I'd be really surprised if most of the people voting for CU actually thought it was a good character.

taig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By generated this is referring to player choice? As in left trigger vs right trigger or who you killed in dark souls?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunchypickles said:

@bane122 said:

It depends on how you define a character. In terms of dialogue, obviously CU isn't there at all. But in terms of actions that affect the story, then yeah he/she's a pretty viable contender. Personally I voted for CU not just because I've never been a big Mass Effect Fan, but I generally prefer characters that aren't just universally praised as some kind of savior. CU was thrust into a world full of beings that wanted nothing more than to manipulate him/her into doing their work for them. Even the term "Chosen Undead" plays into that; he/she wasn't really all that special, just the first to come along that actually managed to get to the goal.

I believe you are stretching the definition of character here. On his own, he has no personality traits, no backstory, no individuality, no agency and no motivation (outside of surviving whatever the game imposes on him/her). He is only customizable through equipment and stats. He/she is pretty much an avatar, more than a character.

I agree that Shepard is not the best of this generation. Personally, I would have rather see the Boss here (or, if dialogue options are the only requirement for customization, having Lee)... But given the options, he is the only character available.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Brendan

@hailinel: I'm just using this post to request that there be a Champions League style match for the winners of your three character leagues. I would enjoy that.

Then, just for laughs, if you could talk to the organizers of the Best Game and Best Soundtrack competitions, and pit three totally unrelated categories against each other for a confusing clusterfuck of funny.

Those two things would truly close the year out Giant Bomb style.