Giant Bomb Memberships... A Giant Value!?

Darth_Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Darth_Stone

Hi there! 

So, I'm sorry if I haven't been paying a lot of attention to that membership deal that the guys @ Giant Bomb mentioned in a podcast about 3 weeks ago, but the thing is, as soon as I found out that these guys needed support, I immediately went for it and got myself a full year with whiskey media and an awesome t-shirt (I hope it's in the mail!)...  

BUT... 

There's been some confusion on my part on what that memberships allows me to have or do... At first, I thought that I was going to get additional content podcast wise, but I have NOT seen any difference with the podcasts... I also thought we were going to get additional videos or stuff like that, and I have NOT found ANYTHING.... 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for supporting our guys here @ Giant Bomb, but I have written twice to Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media asking for some sort of clarification on the subject, and I have gotten ZILCH as a response...  

Can someone tell me what the deal is? 

Thanks! 

Edit: Thank you everyone for clearing this up for me! My weekends now officially start with the FRIDAY HAPPY HOUR!!!

Darth_Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Darth_Stone

Hi there! 

So, I'm sorry if I haven't been paying a lot of attention to that membership deal that the guys @ Giant Bomb mentioned in a podcast about 3 weeks ago, but the thing is, as soon as I found out that these guys needed support, I immediately went for it and got myself a full year with whiskey media and an awesome t-shirt (I hope it's in the mail!)...  

BUT... 

There's been some confusion on my part on what that memberships allows me to have or do... At first, I thought that I was going to get additional content podcast wise, but I have NOT seen any difference with the podcasts... I also thought we were going to get additional videos or stuff like that, and I have NOT found ANYTHING.... 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for supporting our guys here @ Giant Bomb, but I have written twice to Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media asking for some sort of clarification on the subject, and I have gotten ZILCH as a response...  

Can someone tell me what the deal is? 

Thanks! 

Edit: Thank you everyone for clearing this up for me! My weekends now officially start with the FRIDAY HAPPY HOUR!!!

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DerekDanahy

The podcast was returned back to normal so members do not get an additional podcast. As far as extra videos, members get the Whiskey Media Happy Hour every Friday.

Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Anthony

The podcast stayed the same, there's no change there.

Gold members like you get no ads on the site as well as the weekly friday live show. 
   http://www.giantbomb.com/whiskey-media-happy-hour-0100810/17-3348/

You can also watch all videos in high definition and download them.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

They were going to split the podcast into a free hour and a paid hour, to be released free a week later but a compromise was made to get it all for free. The paid member features are HD video, RSS feeds (not out yet), paid member exclusive live show on fridays and a T-Shirt for annual members. They will add features over time, but that is what you get at the moment.

Also, it isn't a Giant Bomb subscription, it's a Whiskey Media subscription. It works across all sites and is for the parent company encompassing Tested, Screeened etc.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Darth_Stone said:
" Hi there!  So, I'm sorry if I haven't been paying a lot of attention to that membership deal that the guys @ Giant Bomb mentioned in a podcast about 3 weeks ago, but the thing is, as soon as I found out that these guys needed support, I immediately went for it and got myself a full year with whiskey media and an awesome t-shirt (I hope it's in the mail!)...   BUT...  There's been some confusion on my part on what that memberships allows me to have or do... At first, I thought that I was going to get additional content podcast wise, but I have NOT seen any difference with the podcasts... I also thought we were going to get additional videos or stuff like that, and I have NOT found ANYTHING....  Don't get me wrong, I am all for supporting our guys here @ Giant Bomb, but I have written twice to Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media asking for some sort of clarification on the subject, and I have gotten ZILCH as a response...   Can someone tell me what the deal is? Or did I just get duped?  Thanks! "
HD videos. And the Friday show. And the ability to download videos. And a Tshirt
Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Hosstile17

The Whiskey Media Happy Hour is super-great. You totally owe it to yourself to check it out.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The original plan for the bombcast was to split it in half for non-paying users, giving them the first half one week and the other half the next, while subscribers would get the whole thing at once. They also said that if they got 5,000 subscribers in the first day, that wouldn't happen and it would stay as it was. They did get 5,000 subscribers in the first day, so the bombcast did not get split.

The live friday show that subscribers were promised IS happening. Every friday at 4PM PDT subscribers get an hour long live show called Happy Hour. Subscribers who can't watch it live can also get it afterwards from the video page.

Subscribers also have HD video's, video downloads and the new mobile site. And since you're a yearly subscriber you should be getting your t-shirt very soon if it hasn't arrived already.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By _Phara0h_
@The_Laughing_Man said:

HD videos. And the Friday show. And the ability to download videos. And a Tshirt "

And a chance to give something back to the people that have given sooooo fucking much, for free I may add so don't be a cheaps cake.

PS. I'm waiting for paypal support so thats why I didn't sign up yet..... ;-D
Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Anthony
@MattyFTM said:
" The original plan for the bombcast was to split it in half for non-paying users, giving them the first half one week, and the other half the next, while subscribers would get the whole thing at once. They also said that if they got 5,000 subscribers in the first day, that wouldn't happen and it would stay as it was. They did get 5,000 subscribers in the first day, so the bombcast did not get split.  The live friday show that subscribers were promised IS happening. Every friday at 4PM PDT subscribers get an hour long live show called Happy Hour. Subscribers who can't watch it live can also get it afterwards from the video page. "
I don't think they got all the subscribers in one day. They let it run through the weekend or something to get the numbers.
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By gearhead
@THAfara0 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
HD videos. And the Friday show. And the ability to download videos. And a Tshirt "
And a chance to give something back to the people that have given sooooo fucking much for free I may add don't be a cheaps cake.  PS. I'm waiting for paypal support so thats why I didn't sign up yet..... ;-D "
Yeah. Paypal support needs to be added soon. It's kind of bullshit.
turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turbo_toaster

No Caption Provided
The Bombcast remained the same after 5000 people subscribed.
Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Nunchuckles

They were going to split up the podcast, but there was a huge outcry by the community that didn't like the idea they presented.  What they were going to do was split up the current bombcast in half, and give the free users one hour, and give the paid members the full two hours.  So what they decided to do was ask 5000 users to sign up for its paid membership, and then they would allow the bombcast to stay as is.  With the video stuff, the new video feature that only paid members are allowed to see is the new Whiskey Media Happy Hour Videos.  Also, when you watch videos, you can download them in either HD, High, Med, or Low resolution.  You can download any video.  And the other thing I can think of is that if you own a smartphone of some sort, like iPhone or an android phone.  You can use the mobile site for giantbomb.  the address is m.giantbomb.com  You have to sign in on your phone.  But the mobile site is amazing, and designed really well.  You can also download videos straight to your phone using the mobile device, which is what I do all the time.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Anthony said:

"I don't think they got all the subscribers in one day. They let it run through the weekend or something to get the numbers. "

Yeah, they did give it an extension, but they got nearly all of them in one day, and reached the 5k mark very soon after extending it. Either way, they reached their target and the bombcast stayed the way it was.
Darth_Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Darth_Stone

Whoa!  

9 responses in under a minute?  
That's why I love Giant Bomb! ;) 

OK, everything is clear now... Thank you everybody for responding so quickly!!! Now I'm gonna have to schedule my fridays around the happy hour! 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Hosstile17 said:
" The Whiskey Media Happy Hour is super-great. You totally owe it to yourself to check it out. "
This guy is right!
uvschism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By uvschism

I signed up just to support the bros and broettes at whiskey media.  I've been an avid listener of the downcast/bombcast since day one, so I figured I should kick them a few bucks for that alone.  Call it a donation, as I don't think I'll use most of the features available to me now.  Maybe HD, since its an option.  And I'll probably wear the T-shirt.  That said, for me to re-up next year... I think I'll need a little more than the current offering.  I'll check back in on the status of things next year.    

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Afroman269

Sounds like someone should have done some research before diving into premium membership. 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#18  Edited By citizenkane

They still have some things lined up down the road for subscribers, but they want to perfect everything they have now before unleashing new stuff on us.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Why are you complaining about the podcast? 

The Whiskey Media thing is subscriber only.

Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OppressiveStink
@Darth_Stone: 
You and I paid for different things.  I paid them only after I found out that they didn't split up the podcast. 

The reason: So they can keep being the way they are now.  I don't need them to be the 1ups, Kotakus and Joystiqs of the internet, we have plenty of those.  What I do need from them is for them to keep making their site and podcast feel like I'm a welcome part; make me feel like I'm just another one of their friends, sitting at their couch and laughing about shit.

It's those irreverent and ridiculous moments that set the tone for this site and it's media and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

They actually made a special podcast addressing the subscribers on the subject. Here.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fynne

Let 's not forget that they are a small operation.  I'm sure their support was inundated with questions after the sign up stuff went live.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cookiemonster

ho ho, ur stho funi wit teh wordplay

randomatom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By randomatom

My only problem is I signed up as soon as this became available and I still haven't gotten my shirt, anyone else in this base?

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mattbosten
@randomatom: Yes, but I'm also from the UK so was already expecting it to take a few weeks more than when some of the US subscribers started receiving theirs.
kleung21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kleung21

I read the comments, and although I did not realize they kept the podcast all together, I am glad that they did. 

I believe that they need to keep the podcast up to continue keeping and expanding their listeners.  Great show, have been listening to it for years.  Although they have a good audience, the whole point is to have as large a reach as possible if you are going to be ad OR community sponsored. 

I have made game purchase decisions based upon their feedback/reviews.

I paid for a full year membership right from the "get go" as a means of voicing my support.  However, I do not use any of their other sites, nor do I watch videos.  I am mainly here for their podcast.  

I consider it a donation. 

Also... I think a paypal/donation button would be useful for those listeners that cannot afford a monthly/yearly fee but still wish to support the site.  I am not sure I like that they are diluting their revenues in supporting their other sites; but I am sure that they have run the numbers somehow...

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mcfart

They said they didn't want to use donations, since the site might be profitable to them in the future,(most donation sites don't have a way of making revenue cause the developer wants to keep everything free or something) and they want to give people something for their money.

You might find yourself choosing "HD" or downloading videos to watch on the go. However, if you're only here for the podcast, you should check out the videos sometime.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrfizzy
@randomatom said:
" My only problem is I signed up as soon as this became available and I still haven't gotten my shirt, anyone else in this base? "
yeah same here, i live in Australia so im hoping that its just on its way rather than lost in the mail. 
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By Skald

I like downloading QLs, and I paid so they wouldn't split the podcast.

Avatar image for stefanthelegend
StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StefanTheLegend

Leave the Podcast alone!!!!!!!!! I want to be able to hear it too, Don't effin make us charge for that! 

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lemoncookie01
@StefanTheLegend said:
" Leave the Podcast alone!!!!!!!!! I want to be able to hear it too, Don't effin make us charge for that!  "

No Caption Provided
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By 234r2we232

I just want more original features and articles, not just trailers, refried news and Quick Looks. I've begun losing faith in this site :(

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mau64
@OppressiveStink said:
" @Darth_Stone:  You and I paid for different things.  I paid them only after I found out that they didn't split up the podcast.   The reason: So they can keep being the way they are now.  I don't need them to be the 1ups, Kotakus and Joystiqs of the internet, we have plenty of those.  What I do need from them is for them to keep making their site and podcast feel like I'm a welcome part; make me feel like I'm just another one of their friends, sitting at their couch and laughing about shit.  It's those irreverent and ridiculous moments that set the tone for this site and it's media and I wouldn't have it any other way. "
Great way of putting it.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Happy Hour is fucking glorious

Kodo_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kodo_Beast

Giant Bomb Memberships... A Giant Dud? 

Top story, Mr. Do! is Mr. Done!
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#36  Edited By LordAndrew
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" I just want more original features [...], not just [...] Quick Looks. I've begun losing faith in this site :( "
Have you watched the Quick Looks? They're not just a dry, boring playthrough of part of a game. Most of them are actually quite entertaining. This is the kind of original feature that many of us enjoy.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@randomatom said:
" My only problem is I signed up as soon as this became available and I still haven't gotten my shirt, anyone else in this base? "
People in the US just started receiving their shirts at the end of last week (see here). So if you're in the US it should be arriving very soon. If you live further afield it will take longer, but either way they have been dispatched and your shirt should be on it's way now.
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lukeweizer

I've been pretty disappointed with my membership as well. Not saying that I wish they did cut up the podcast, but I'm just disappointed they asked for money first, then decided to think of things to give us. And a weekly show doesn't do it it for me. I use Giant Bomb and that's it. And I'm working till 5pm anyway.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brenderous

We also get HD videos.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HereAllDay
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Darth_Stone said:
" Hi there!  So, I'm sorry if I haven't been paying a lot of attention to that membership deal that the guys @ Giant Bomb mentioned in a podcast about 3 weeks ago, but the thing is, as soon as I found out that these guys needed support, I immediately went for it and got myself a full year with whiskey media and an awesome t-shirt (I hope it's in the mail!)...   BUT...  There's been some confusion on my part on what that memberships allows me to have or do... At first, I thought that I was going to get additional content podcast wise, but I have NOT seen any difference with the podcasts... I also thought we were going to get additional videos or stuff like that, and I have NOT found ANYTHING....  Don't get me wrong, I am all for supporting our guys here @ Giant Bomb, but I have written twice to Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media asking for some sort of clarification on the subject, and I have gotten ZILCH as a response...   Can someone tell me what the deal is? Or did I just get duped?  Thanks! "
Duder, downloading tshirts? Gotta sign up now 
Jonnyflash80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Jonnyflash80

I think the weekly Whiskey Media Happy Hour is pretty great and worth the price of admission.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dbz1995

You weren't going to get additional content, we freebies were gonna get less.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Undeadpool
@OppressiveStink said:
" @Darth_Stone:  You and I paid for different things.  I paid them only after I found out that they didn't split up the podcast.   The reason: So they can keep being the way they are now.  I don't need them to be the 1ups, Kotakus and Joystiqs of the internet, we have plenty of those.  What I do need from them is for them to keep making their site and podcast feel like I'm a welcome part; make me feel like I'm just another one of their friends, sitting at their couch and laughing about shit.  It's those irreverent and ridiculous moments that set the tone for this site and it's media and I wouldn't have it any other way. "
Well put, Oxford. Whiskey Media sites have always felt way more user-inclusive than sites that simply have a news feed and editorial reviews.
Darth_Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Darth_Stone
@Afroman269: I guess... But, I just love these guys sooo much, that money just poured out of my wallet! LOL