Giantbomb gone off (like rotten eggs).

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's difficult to create content out of nothing. Let's not forget this.

January is a-typically full of tumbleweeds which bleeds into February. Any glimmer of anything tends to showcase itself in a more pronounced light. This past week was a fine example of the team being recharged by new, exciting games to play.

There's been an obvious curtain pulled over the site after Ryan and that's directly relatable to a team having to fill the workload of a missing member. You can't dick around as much when you're spending 20% more energy doing your job.

What I'm seeing is that people want more dumb off-the-cuff that this site's well known for. Again, let's remember, you can't fabricate moments like these. Things change. I'm just glad a site like this can exist over more traditional news-centric sites that are trying to keep up (Polygon's QL adaptation, for one).

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rambling Bombcast and Sleepy Brad are some of my favorite things.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corwag said:

Rambling Bombcast and Sleepy Brad are some of my favorite things.

Sleepy Brad is kawaii Brad. He is the anime editor after all.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@farkas said:

January is a-typically full of tumbleweeds which bleeds into February. Any glimmer of anything tends to showcase itself in a more pronounced light. This past week was a fine example of the team being recharged by new, exciting games to play.

Then wouldn't this be the time for more Encyclopedia Bombastica and old content like that? Seems an apt solution.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I think so. Although we're not privy to their schedules, I think that during these slow times a Bombastica on a trailer filled day would be perfect.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@farkas said:

Then wouldn't this be the time for more Encyclopedia Bombastica and old content like that? Seems an apt solution.

Jeff's been going to Dice and other stuff, right? Plus apparently taking meetings trying to get someone to give them the go ahead to staff up. Vinny and Brad have been Souls'ing it up pretty heavily for a month. Patrick's been Spelunking like a motherfucker. There've been changes to the site, and changes to things outside the site that also affect the site, like Twitch, and they've also still put up a fair number of the usual things like quick looks (plus the new Unfinished feature), UPF (like it or not, I mostly like it and vastly prefer it to TNT or the Happy Hour), Worth Playing, Bombing in the AM, the bombcast, and even the formerly Daily Dota has made a few recent appearances. Plus random shit like the puppy stream. And Alex is still reviewing shit for some reason (I for one, could do without written reviews ever again). Plus whatever the fuck they're doing when they aren't sitting in front of a camera speaking into microphones, which I am fairly sure is more than rolling around in piles of subscriber money (cuz if it is they should film that shit).

So it seems to me they're already doing plenty. *shrugs

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@video_game_king said:

@farkas said:

Jeff's been going to Dice and other stuff, right? Plus apparently taking meetings trying to get someone to give them the go ahead to staff up. Vinny and Brad have been Souls'ing it up pretty heavily for a month. Patrick's been Spelunking like a motherfucker. There've been changes to the site, and changes to things outside the site that also affect the site, like Twitch, and they've also still put up a fair number of the usual things like quick looks (plus the new Unfinished feature), UPF (like it or not, I mostly like it and vastly prefer it to TNT or the Happy Hour), Worth Playing, Bombing in the AM, the bombcast, and even the formerly Daily Dota has made a few recent appearances. Plus random shit like the puppy stream. And Alex is still reviewing shit for some reason (I for one, could do without written reviews ever again). Plus whatever the fuck they're doing when they aren't sitting in front of a camera speaking into microphones, which I am fairly sure is more than rolling around in piles of subscriber money (cuz if it is they should film that shit).

Plus preview stuff. Brad was somewhere playing through part of South Park. The nature of the business means we don't know what goes on for them moment to moment.

As I've repeated in this thread, if you have a small team and you lose one member, that makes a huge impact. Can't be overstated. If they hire just one more person that can be in content that'd be huge for them I'm sure.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By Video_Game_King

No Caption Provided

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I am not trolling when I say that it is my feeling that Giantbomb.com as a gaming website has got worse to the point when I don't know why I bother with the content anymore (and makes me want to write a forum post like this one).

As a paid member I see no reason to renew my subscription as I can't help but thing how lazy the team are. I am not putting it down do another "quite gaming period" because content for a gaming site doesn't always have to come from new games and quick looks for them. I just believe that they do very little in a week and haven't really offered anything fresh for months if not years.

I am sure to get cut down in the comments if anyone is that bothered but I doubt I will be that interested in reading views on how I am wrong. As I said before, I am not trolling, I am giving an honest opinion about the state of the website.

There used to be a day when I thought "great, a 3 hour podcast, why are Giantbomb the only ones who have a long podcast when everyone else barley passes the hour mark?". Not any more. I find it has got stale with the 40+minutes of ramblings that often have nothing to do with games. Its not entertaining and maybe it would be best for them to do an hour podcast with more structure. Again, that would probably mean more effort and all I see with the Giantbomb team are a bunch of guys who turn on the microphone and say whatever. No prep. No structure. Just a bloated mess with the odd bit of interesting information.

It's not like I don't like the team but every week when it comes round to Brad to update on what he's been doing or what he's been playing, he almost always comes across with a tired, bored, disinterested response, almost reluctant in his delivery as if he wasn't getting paid for his time or like he has been put on the spot so has very little to contribute. A lot of puffing and saying you didn't play anything or leave the house is not riveting. Maybe it would be a good Idea for the team to look at interesting articles, games, or ideas and make more of an effort to breath some life into the bloated old Bombcast.

I feel the same way about Drew. It seems after Ryan, Drew got in on Podcasts and again, I have nothing against him but he seems to always be talking about sport or some sort of running, gym or training exercise he did at the weekend. For me, he might as well tell me about how long he spent in the toilet and how many flushes there was. Dull. Give him credit, he does try to sound as big and as loud as some of the other guys but it just sounds forced.

The main reason I come here is for Jeff''s views and knowledge and usually when the 40+ minutes of talking food and other nonsense is over on the Bombcast, I often find some interesting stuff in what he says about games he's currently playing or games he has seen in demo etc. He is very knowledgeable and his Jar time videos can sometimes be one of the better things about the site although they are few and far between. I think he too could cut back on all the nonsense though as when he starts it just seems to spur the rest on until someone defuses the filler after a good half hour.

Another part of the site that really bothers me is the Unprofessional Fridays as it seems to be the most mundane show they could make. I have enjoyed watching them play games on the sofa for years and there is potential for some great content but every time I stay up late to watch Unprofessional Fridays (Kick off is usually 11.30pm in the UK) it is filled with the worst 'games' and a dull half hour is almost a given.

In the last few times I have watched it there seems to be no end to the extensive browser based games or that one which was basically moving the keys to highlight numbers that were supposed to represent characters in a RPG where all the battles are via the text meaning boredom for most people watching. There are to many crappy so called games that take up that show that I don't bother to stay up and might flick through the next day to see what they played. That usually ends up being a disappointment too as there will be a ton of games with the likes of Drew moving a mouse over a graph or speedometer or clicking and enabling buttons for some program he found online. Boring.

I know there was a show called Thursday Night Throw Down which had many 'normal' gaming moments. Whatever happened to that? too much effort is it?

I'm sure people would rather see games they have already played (Mortal Kombat, Burnout, Tony Hawk, etc) than much of what you get every Friday. Why don't they ever get the N64 out for some local multiplayer? That's just an example. Why don't they bring a game that they are enjoying at home and play a bit on the show and show people where they are and how they are liking it?

Also as I see it, Giantbomb is not every good or up today on the news front either. I just begin to wonder what they do all day. What is a typical day for the Giantbomb team. I can only assume that it is taking things at a very leisurely pace like you would see when they used to bother making those phone recorded I love Monday videos. Remember that? Remember how they'd rack there brains for content for the week? "I guess we could do something with that...maybe?" Don't sound so sure Giantbomb staff.

So just to end and repeat, this is not an attempt to be a big dirty troll, this is just a view from someone who has lost patience with this place I used to like. You may disagree with me but be honest, could these guys not be doing a better job of things especially as there are many loyal users who have paid money to help them keep doing (or maybe that should read NOT DOING) what they are doing?

Its not a valid argument to say the site is the way it is right now because there is a lack of new games, there are thousands of games that they could look back on and features they could write, film, introduce. The fact is that it doesn't suit the Giantbomb team to write a proper article or put in some more effort to take the site forward. They can sit around and talk for hours, not much else goes on.

Sorry if you feel offended. I have been 110% honest. Giantbomb.com needs to change. I can't ever see myself paying another penny towards the upkeep of this site if there is not a drastic change in how they go about things.

Thanks for reading.

First, I dont want to say your wrong, Let me go through and try and figure out how to 'fix' this.

1a. The podcasts are too long. The podcast format hasnt changed, except for a cast member or too leaving. I think this may just be a change of intrests on your part.

1b. The podcasts are uninstresting, and lack direction. I somewhat agree. But again, i am a diffrent person then i was even a year ago, i have less time to listen to podcasts.

1c. The complaints about Drew, Brad and Jeff just sound like you need to take a break from listening to them. Like when you have too much peanut butter, it tastes great, but then your stumch hurts, and you feal sick. Dont kill your love for the site by being on it 24/7

2a. I agree some of the latest UPF have been lack luster, and I dont want to make the excuse that 'it will get better'.

2b. I do disagree with this though. while I agree that it dose get slow, and they should find another way to fill in a bad game, perhaps with a back up game. I disagree that I want to play old games that I have played over and over again. One of the reasons I like UPF is that I get to see that dumb Wrestling game, or that Barbarion game. I do feel like there is an HR person looking over the camera just itching to wave her/his hands and tell them to shut up, or what not to say.

2c. Thursday Night Throwdown was a feature created, and hosted by Ryan Davis, who passed away. You can read the article pinned at the top of the forum.

3. Someone did a chart a month or two back which outlined how much content was actualy generated every year. And it showed that it was increasing every year, not in the ammount, but in the length.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir said:

No Caption Provided

Really though, what personal opinion isn't two steps away from anime tears.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By Video_Game_King
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king:

Heh. I like your "reviews" because they're entertaining. But the days of reading written reviews as a means of helping me to decide if a game is worth my time or not are over, for me, which is what I'm referring to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll add my voice to the opposite; I like written reviews because they are one of the rare times when anyone on the crew talks about games entirely based on their merits. Patrick writes his articles, but they're more often about the industry or his thoughts on the community (there is the odd article about a game, but it's often about how it will influence the direction of the medium rather than the synergy of the mechanics or the content).

Granted there's not a lot of them and it appears 2014 Is Alex (much like how Raw Is Alex), but I read every written review and I refer to them when I have discussions about games.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By pyromagnestir

@brodehouse said:

I'll add my voice to the opposite; I like written reviews because they are one of the rare times when anyone on the crew talks about games entirely based on their merits. Patrick writes his articles, but they're more often about the industry or his thoughts on the community (there is the odd article about a game, but it's often about how it will influence the direction of the medium rather than the synergy of the mechanics or the content).

Granted there's not a lot of them and it appears 2014 Is Alex (much like how Raw Is Alex), but I read every written review and I refer to them when I have discussions about games.

And that's fine. I wouldn't start a thread saying "I don't need reviews so they should stop writing reviews" and that's what these threads always feel like, someone saying "I don't want it so do something I do want!"

I think I get enough talk about games based on their merits in the bombcast, it's not as well thought out or as articulate as it might be in a review, but I get the larger point of "they like it/don't like it and here are reasons why" which is enough for me. Between that and a quick look I can make up my mind about whether I want to play a game or not.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't there a time when Alex said he was going to start streaming, maybe six months ago? I knew he had problems setting it up, but I would've liked to see what stuff he could have done.

I enjoy Patrick's content, but I had to give up on Spelunky half-way (unless it was a CAH show with multiple people). I would fast-forward the archive until he died. Even if I liked Spelunky, watching the same person play the same levels everyday for weeks got really boring, for me at least.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

familyguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 Months ago I would have maybe said I understand but they are still trying to recover from losing a Front runner of the site, and the last few months have been awesome for premium content so, nope.

Also love that your "solution" to "fixing" the bombcast is to make it like Every Single other podcast that I don't listen to.

Totally agree. Its why I listen to Idle Thumbs as well. Its more than just a video game podcast. Its defined by the people doing it and if they want to talk about some other things, then I am all for it.

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The staff was cut down significantly due to the untimely passing of Ryan. Naturally, it has been difficult for the site to get back on their feet. However, the content recently has improved and has been exciting. There isn't many games so the crew are working with what they can. If they hire new staff, the content will continue to improve. The crew are the same as ever. Vinny and Drew are just lovely blokes, Brad has always been sleepy and Jeff has always been full of hatred in a delightful way. Patrick's content is good. The content is improving.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

@hauntingthedark said:

I am not trolling when I say that it is my feeling that Giantbomb.com as a gaming website has got worse to the point when I don't know why I bother with the content anymore (and makes me want to write a forum post like this one).

As a paid member I see no reason to renew my subscription as I can't help but thing how lazy the team are. I am not putting it down do another "quite gaming period" because content for a gaming site doesn't always have to come from new games and quick looks for them. I just believe that they do very little in a week and haven't really offered anything fresh for months if not years.

I am sure to get cut down in the comments if anyone is that bothered but I doubt I will be that interested in reading views on how I am wrong. As I said before, I am not trolling, I am giving an honest opinion about the state of the website.

There used to be a day when I thought "great, a 3 hour podcast, why are Giantbomb the only ones who have a long podcast when everyone else barley passes the hour mark?". Not any more. I find it has got stale with the 40+minutes of ramblings that often have nothing to do with games. Its not entertaining and maybe it would be best for them to do an hour podcast with more structure. Again, that would probably mean more effort and all I see with the Giantbomb team are a bunch of guys who turn on the microphone and say whatever. No prep. No structure. Just a bloated mess with the odd bit of interesting information.

It's not like I don't like the team but every week when it comes round to Brad to update on what he's been doing or what he's been playing, he almost always comes across with a tired, bored, disinterested response, almost reluctant in his delivery as if he wasn't getting paid for his time or like he has been put on the spot so has very little to contribute. A lot of puffing and saying you didn't play anything or leave the house is not riveting. Maybe it would be a good Idea for the team to look at interesting articles, games, or ideas and make more of an effort to breath some life into the bloated old Bombcast.

I feel the same way about Drew. It seems after Ryan, Drew got in on Podcasts and again, I have nothing against him but he seems to always be talking about sport or some sort of running, gym or training exercise he did at the weekend. For me, he might as well tell me about how long he spent in the toilet and how many flushes there was. Dull. Give him credit, he does try to sound as big and as loud as some of the other guys but it just sounds forced.

The main reason I come here is for Jeff''s views and knowledge and usually when the 40+ minutes of talking food and other nonsense is over on the Bombcast, I often find some interesting stuff in what he says about games he's currently playing or games he has seen in demo etc. He is very knowledgeable and his Jar time videos can sometimes be one of the better things about the site although they are few and far between. I think he too could cut back on all the nonsense though as when he starts it just seems to spur the rest on until someone defuses the filler after a good half hour.

Another part of the site that really bothers me is the Unprofessional Fridays as it seems to be the most mundane show they could make. I have enjoyed watching them play games on the sofa for years and there is potential for some great content but every time I stay up late to watch Unprofessional Fridays (Kick off is usually 11.30pm in the UK) it is filled with the worst 'games' and a dull half hour is almost a given.

In the last few times I have watched it there seems to be no end to the extensive browser based games or that one which was basically moving the keys to highlight numbers that were supposed to represent characters in a RPG where all the battles are via the text meaning boredom for most people watching. There are to many crappy so called games that take up that show that I don't bother to stay up and might flick through the next day to see what they played. That usually ends up being a disappointment too as there will be a ton of games with the likes of Drew moving a mouse over a graph or speedometer or clicking and enabling buttons for some program he found online. Boring.

I know there was a show called Thursday Night Throw Down which had many 'normal' gaming moments. Whatever happened to that? too much effort is it?

I'm sure people would rather see games they have already played (Mortal Kombat, Burnout, Tony Hawk, etc) than much of what you get every Friday. Why don't they ever get the N64 out for some local multiplayer? That's just an example. Why don't they bring a game that they are enjoying at home and play a bit on the show and show people where they are and how they are liking it?

Also as I see it, Giantbomb is not every good or up today on the news front either. I just begin to wonder what they do all day. What is a typical day for the Giantbomb team. I can only assume that it is taking things at a very leisurely pace like you would see when they used to bother making those phone recorded I love Monday videos. Remember that? Remember how they'd rack there brains for content for the week? "I guess we could do something with that...maybe?" Don't sound so sure Giantbomb staff.

So just to end and repeat, this is not an attempt to be a big dirty troll, this is just a view from someone who has lost patience with this place I used to like. You may disagree with me but be honest, could these guys not be doing a better job of things especially as there are many loyal users who have paid money to help them keep doing (or maybe that should read NOT DOING) what they are doing?

Its not a valid argument to say the site is the way it is right now because there is a lack of new games, there are thousands of games that they could look back on and features they could write, film, introduce. The fact is that it doesn't suit the Giantbomb team to write a proper article or put in some more effort to take the site forward. They can sit around and talk for hours, not much else goes on.

Sorry if you feel offended. I have been 110% honest. Giantbomb.com needs to change. I can't ever see myself paying another penny towards the upkeep of this site if there is not a drastic change in how they go about things.

Thanks for reading.

First, I dont want to say your wrong, Let me go through and try and figure out how to 'fix' this.

1a. The podcasts are too long. The podcast format hasnt changed, except for a cast member or too leaving. I think this may just be a change of intrests on your part.

1b. The podcasts are uninstresting, and lack direction. I somewhat agree. But again, i am a diffrent person then i was even a year ago, i have less time to listen to podcasts.

1c. The complaints about Drew, Brad and Jeff just sound like you need to take a break from listening to them. Like when you have too much peanut butter, it tastes great, but then your stumch hurts, and you feal sick. Dont kill your love for the site by being on it 24/7

2a. I agree some of the latest UPF have been lack luster, and I dont want to make the excuse that 'it will get better'.

2b. I do disagree with this though. while I agree that it dose get slow, and they should find another way to fill in a bad game, perhaps with a back up game. I disagree that I want to play old games that I have played over and over again. One of the reasons I like UPF is that I get to see that dumb Wrestling game, or that Barbarion game. I do feel like there is an HR person looking over the camera just itching to wave her/his hands and tell them to shut up, or what not to say.

2c. Thursday Night Throwdown was a feature created, and hosted by Ryan Davis, who passed away. You can read the article pinned at the top of the forum.

3. Someone did a chart a month or two back which outlined how much content was actualy generated every year. And it showed that it was increasing every year, not in the ammount, but in the length.

I am running into that problem right now, except not for peanut butter. I love spaghetti, but I have started to eat it more and now beginning to lose my taste appreciation for it. Remaining on topic this thread sure has gone longer than I thought it would ,I haven't had time to dig through all the replies but maybe there are some quality suggestions in here that can make the site better for all of us.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should stop reviewing stuff. Quick looks and the bombcast are better. The review just seem reddened

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By Wolfgame

@jz: interesting point, I mean I can only speak for myself, but it is probably worth bringing up that I watch every quick look, even for games I have no interest in. I usually see what is on show and know if its worth checking into in more detail from that point. I don't recall ever actually reading a review on this site in full, I have looked at the scores, but usually defer to quick looks. There exist "review score people". I know they are out there, but for me I just like the expedited way that quick looks allow me to see what a game is, if I would enjoy it and get the crews initial impressions of that title. I don't need a lengthy written review at that point because I have all I need at that point to start making decisions. But like I said, "review score people" are out there and these type of things matter to appeal to some people in the community who may not enjoy quick looks.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By OGJackWagon69

welp, I actually came to giant bomb because I liked how the bombcast was sometimes only 30% games and 70% BS because the BS was usually funny or interesting to me. The workplace nudity emails have been hilarious, the meatbalIs and wizards/sorcerers discussions were great, hearing about all the sporty stuff that drew does is cool, and its always funny to hear jeff just talk about how a game like alex kidd on the genesis is "fucking garbage" or how ignorant most people are of how awful it would be to play a mario game with touch controls. I mean to each his own I guess, but you can't deny that they are still putting in a good effort towards the site even if its not to your tastes.

EDIT: Also UPF has had at least one fucking hilarious moment every week, and even if the game they are playing is boring (steel diver etc) they still manage to create some interesting discussion in the background. Also I've been going back and listening to old bombcasts from like 2008 and the amount of off topic discussion is just as high as it is now. I mean I'm probably what most people would consider a "GB apologist" judging by whats being said in this thread, but I mean despite the funk this site has been is I really haven't stopped enjoying it.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@video_game_king said:

[...]

How do you think the site will change with this thread?

So what's your point? If people have opinions about a product they care about they should just shut up and hide? Though, I agree there didn't need to be more than one thread.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: quicklooks allow you hear what the crew think, and form your own opinion.

Like the crew might now being liking the game, but what I'm seeing looks cool to me.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jz: A site loses a ton of credibility when is not sourced by Metacritic. Reviews are what keeps the games coming into the office.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378  Edited By JZ

@drdarkstryfe: they get tons of games they don't even quicklook let alone review. So not reviewing things is not going to hurt anything. Jeff even said on jar time if they never got sent another free review copy of a game ever again, they'd be totally fine.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

You know, I joined Giant Bomb about 2 or 3 minutes after it was possible to do so. If that. It's always been like this. If that's not for you, then fine, but Giant Bomb has always been a video game themed entertainment website rather than a nonstop stream of video game coverage. It's like the Top Gear reboot of video game coverage. Yes, it's stupid (and I mean that in the 'goofy and silly' sense) and yes it veers off topic at random and at length...But it's entertaining, and straight video game coverage is very often incredibly boring (just like the original Top Gear was often very boring), so is that really a bad thing? Again, if you don't like it, fine. But I absolutely do not know where you got the idea it's changed dramatically.