Godzilla (2014) Trailer Leaked!

• 86 results
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I didn't see a previous forum topic anywhere on this, and I used the search but...it never seems to work.

Anyways, the trailer from Comic-Con popped up on the YouTubes, but copyright claims have taken them down left and right. However, someone has it uploaded onto Vimeo, so check it out while it's still available!

What do you guys think? As someone who grew up loving Godzilla movies (to the point that I had an unhealthy obsession with Kaiju films as well as Kaiju toys as an adolescent), I don't know how to feel about this trailer.

On the one hand, it's cool to see someone bringing it back to the tone of the original Gojira, trying to take the material as seriously as possible.

On the other hand, that's not the majority of Godzilla that I know. Part of the reason we love Godzilla is because he gets to wreck the shit out of things, and eventually, Kaiju movies featuring Godzilla became more about these ultimate power matches against other creatures. It's one of the things that my inner child wants to see on-screen. However, how does one take pure bliss in the destruction on-screen when...ya know, there's a massive amount of dead people laying around like they are in this trailer?

It's a bit of a conundrum for my brain. Nonetheless, the film is directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters) and stars Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass). It comes out in seven months.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Awesome!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They went back to its original design!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Monkeyman04

Can't wait!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it's not as plodding and boring as "Monsters" was.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It really gave me goosebumps. I love that at one point you can see ships and buildings just sitting on his tail, as though he has dragged up debris from his path of destruction.

Considering hints that this is almost a reimagining of the original, I look forward to a more brutal, darker Godzilla movie. If we can have ten minutes of Tokyo just burning to the ground as someone describes the death and destruction like in the original, it would be amazing. I'm not sure that's possible for a director to get away with today, but I think a despairing movie of destructive spectacle and commentary on natural disasters and war could be fantastic.

I love hokey Godzilla, as well, but a serious, plodding Godzilla would just be so surprising and delightful in today's modern movie environment. The director of Monsters could pull it off.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah! 2001 music.

I dunno, that looked alright. But will there be a great song with it?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really gave me goosebumps. I love that at one point you can see ships and buildings just sitting on his tail, as though he has dragged up debris from his path of destruction.

Considering hints that this is almost a reimagining of the original, I look forward to a more brutal, darker Godzilla movie. If we can have ten minutes of Tokyo just burning to the ground as someone describes the death and destruction like in the original, it would be amazing. I'm not sure that's possible for a director to get away with today, but I think a despairing movie of destructive spectacle and commentary on natural disasters and war could be fantastic.

I love hokey Godzilla, as well, but a serious, plodding Godzilla would just be so surprising and delightful in today's modern movie environment. The director of Monsters could pull it off.

What if they flip it and hes only here to defend us?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm up for a gritty Godzilla. I got Pacific Rim for my over-the-top craziness now.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Man, that was a damn good trailer. Really liked the focus on the destruction to the city.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

Then the thousands or millions of people that he killed in the process might cause an issue.

Though, I'm guessing they may go with the original premise of him destroying things but people slowly realizing that it's a monster they have created. In that way, Godzilla is more of a symbol than a simple threat in a run-of-the-mill monster movie.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks like it could be pretty gooooood.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheFreeMan

That was super menacing and I loved it. Seeing a serious, mean-ass, gritty Godzilla film would make me pretty happy, provided they strike the right tone. I mean, it is still about a giant lizard monster stomping on stuff.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If you guys have never seen this...to tie it all in:

Loading Video...

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really good trailer. Godzilla ain't no muthafuckin joke homie!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

You've come a long way, Godzilla.

Though, like in the original movie, I hope they just have straight hopeless destruction for some twenty minutes of the film. Perhaps with music and narration like this clip from the first one. Spoilers for the original english Godzilla film, but if they can strike a similar tone but with newer technology and better acting, I think it could be something special. It's just a kind of lingering destruction and suffering you don't often see outside of some war and post-apocalyptic movies. Some of the screams heard in this scene still stick with me.

Loading Video...

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Turambar

@mb said:

If you guys have never seen this...to tie it all in:

Loading Video...

To give everyone some more context, that's Robert Oppenheimer, upon seeing the first atomic bomb test, a weapon he helped create. It's a nice connector to the anti-nuclear weapons sentiments of the original Godzilla movie.

kalnet101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not gonna lie, I'm excited about it! I wonder who was that multiple armed monster..

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Disaya

As much as I love big ol' monster movies, Godzilla has never really been my thing. But that looked really amazing, it would be cool to see a more gritty or serious Godzilla.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By MEATBALL

That was fucking awesome.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Yes but...will Godzilla have an updated victory dance??

Loading Video...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TruthTellah

@mb said:

Yes but...will Godzilla have an updated victory dance??

Loading Video...

Pshh. Those moves are timeless.

http://joshblackman.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2-godzilla-funny.gif

Godzilla will dance however he dang well pleases.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8ea823e5d57fb51d02c755b2f959dc9c/tumblr_mi6vbkd5og1qbcq3wo1_500.gif

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been drooling for this since Comic Con.

@truthtellah The bottom one... what in the.... No fuck it. I don't want to know.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Raethen

If the full film keeps the tone of that teaser I am fully in. It would be amazing for a Kaiju film get back to the roots but with a modern sensibility. Pacific Rim captured the more ridiculous tones of later Kaiju films quite well in my view, but this teaser hits a tone of real devastation that is only matched by the horrors of nuclear war, just as the original Gojira was attempting when it was made and released. I cannot wait to see this now.

I also need to seek out Monsters as well now. I want to see the film that set the director down this path.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Niceanims

YEEEEES! Oh how did I almost miss this today.... Godzilla made up part of my childhood way back when. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for this!

@the_laughing_man said:
@truthtellah said:

Then the thousands or millions of people that he killed in the process might cause an issue.

Though, I'm guessing they may go with the original premise of him destroying things but people slowly realizing that it's a monster they have created. In that way, Godzilla is more of a symbol than a simple threat in a run-of-the-mill monster movie.

The director's said they intend the movie to be all about Godzilla smashing the hell out of humanity and whatever other monsters get in its way, similar to the original 1954 film. Unless they've changed that, you'll get your serious Godzilla.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

It's good that they're trying to make a serious film, like the original Gojira was. I just worry that Hollywood will fuck up their understanding of the creature and the themes behind it. But hopefully it's at least better than that Roland Emmerich atrocity.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

GOOSEBUMPS.

And man, I will never get tired of Godzilla's roar. So, so good.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ごじら!

I didn't even know they were making this. Pretty cool.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

It's good that they're trying to make a serious film, like the original Gojira was. I just worry that Hollywood will fuck up their understanding of the creature and the themes behind it. But hopefully it's at least better than that Roland Emmerich atrocity.

I worry about producers not understanding him that much, as well, but I do think the director Gareth Edwards understands the pressures to get Godzilla right. As he said when he started filming:

“I guess I will say I’m highly aware – and everyone involved is incredibly aware – of everyone’s opinions on what this film has to do and what it has to be. And no one will do anything but the right thing. Without addressing anything specific, everyone knows how important it is to get it right.”

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Well, now I want to see that movie. Good job trailer.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Raethen

@mariachimacabre: It is such an amazing example of sound design. I'm so glad it's back. I don't remember if it was used in the last remake because all I can remember was Mathew Broderick, the Puff Daddy video above, and baby godzilas and roller blades from the cartoon (this may be something from my imagination though... if so I have something to draw). That roar though is chill inducing in this trailer either way.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I worry about producers not understanding him that much, as well, but I do think the director Gareth Edwards understands the pressures to get Godzilla right. As he said when he started filming:

“I guess I will say I’m highly aware – and everyone involved is incredibly aware – of everyone’s opinions on what this film has to do and what it has to be. And no one will do anything but the right thing. Without addressing anything specific, everyone knows how important it is to get it right.”

I remember reading that Toho, the company behind Gojira, is much more involved in this film than in the last one, so I'm confident they won't mess it up. These are the same people who bought the rights to the '98 Godzilla (whom they renamed Zilla) just so they could kill it, allegedly. I don't know if they'd sign off on a film they didn't think was true to the original.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TruthTellah

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

I remember reading that Toho, the company behind Gojira, is much more involved in this film than in the last one, so I'm confident they won't mess it up. These are the same people who bought the rights to the '98 Godzilla (whom they renamed Zilla) just so they could kill it, allegedly. I don't know if they'd sign off on a film they didn't think was true to the original.

Exactly. And while he gave some hints that it was returning to the early Godzilla, it wasn't completely clear whether that meant the "Gojira" original or the more "fight monster of the week" Godzilla. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but this trailer makes a decent case for the Gojira original. Plus some of the production shots suggesting some analogs to the original film, but we'll see how it really turns out. The first full trailer will likely tell the tale.

I'd love the first trailer to just be someone on the radio describing the destruction. It'd get the point across.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@truthtellah said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

Exactly. And while he gave some hints that it was returning to the early Godzilla, it wasn't completely clear whether that meant the "Gojira" original or the more "fight monster of the week" Godzilla. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but this trailer makes a decent case for the Gojira original. Plus some of the production shots suggesting analogs to the original film, but we'll see.

If Godzilla goes down that path, I'd be happy. I'd be happy either way but Pacific Rim has me covered in the Fight Monster Of The Week category.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

Exactly. And while he gave some hints that it was returning to the early Godzilla, it wasn't completely clear whether that meant the "Gojira" original or the more "fight monster of the week" Godzilla. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but this trailer makes a decent case for the Gojira original. Plus some of the production shots suggesting analogs to the original film, but we'll see.

If Godzilla goes down that path, I'd be happy. I'd be happy either way but Pacific Rim has me covered in the Fight Monster Of The Week category.

I'm all for Pacific Rim doing its thing and Godzilla doing its own.

Until 2016's Pacific Rim vs Godzilla collaboration, of course.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

I'm all for Pacific Rim doing its thing and Godzilla doing its own.

Until 2016's Pacific Rim vs Godzilla collaboration, of course.

Guillermo Del Toro has expressed great enthusiasm for such a thing, actually. Because he's the best. He clearly knows what his fans want because he's a passionate fan of all the same things.

Be right back, watching Pan's Labyrinth again...

madcapmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I can say is I am freaking pumped for this movie... finally, someone is doing how it should be done... In my opinion it is going to be a combination of the "Gojira" Godzilla, with a dash of the "fighting" Godzilla... (that way you appease both camps, those who want to see a serious tone, and those that want to see two big giant monsters duke it out). I'm confident that this will be awesome. I will absolutely be going to see the midnight showing when it comes out... The Godzilla universe owes me for convincing my dad to take me and a friend to the 1998 midnight showing... and seeing how that turned out... I think it is going to be awesome!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was great, but this is what sold me:

the film is directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters) and stars Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass)

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Garfield518

So is this Kaiju-stomping Godzilla, city-stomping Godzilla, or a mixture of both?

Because I can clearly see a multi-legged monster at :43.

Ennosuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it that they try to make him look more like the original Godzilla. I really hate how Godzilla from the movie in 98 looked like.

In general I found with Pacific Rim my passion for Kaiju movies again, so I am really looking forward to this movie.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hold on a second, this isn't a sequel to the Roland Emmerich film? Well forget it then.

Well then hopefully this is just the long awaited sequel to Godzilla 2000

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As promising as this trailer makes it look, it's still going to take a miracle for this not to get screwed up.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By abendlaender

Awww...they did such a good job NOT showing Godzilla till the end. Don't do that. You shouldn't do that. Looks like a movie I'd watch though.

Also, I liked Emmerich's Godzilla for what it was. You may now start killing me.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By morningstar

I like the trailer. I've no prior interest in Godzilla movies though. Maybe this will be my first.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOJIRA!!!

I thought it looked quite cool, I like the tone and atmosphere. Also it's pretty awesome how they've gone back to the old school design. :D

Avatar image for kung_fu_cheesus
Kung_Fu_Cheesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kung_Fu_Cheesus

So at about 45 seconds in they start talking about the multiple arms of Vishnu while they are showing a giant creature with multiple arms. Does this mean Godzilla will be fighting other monsters? Because that isn't in line with the original movie but man it would be kind of crazy.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might turn out to be really terrible and joyless but I'm gonna give it a chance.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a huge Godzilla fan when I was younger I've got to at least see this.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By kindgineer

The amount of cynicism in this thread is actually kind of discouraging. Fantastic trailer, though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Justin258

That was extremely effective, at least for me. Actually kind of scary, and not in fun jump scares sort of way.