GotG Round 2: Fallout 3 vs. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 2: Fallout 3 vs. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (809 votes)

Fallout 3 54%
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings 47%

Main thread

Full bracket

This is a really doozy. Maybe the toughest battle so far especially for fans of open world RPG games.

Fallout 3 (2008)

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4am PST Saturday.

• 
dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I loved Fallout 3, but I think Witcher 2 was better.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is too close for comfort. Fallout 3 pretty much has my vote for best game of this generation. I might seriously even choose it over GTAIV. Can't fairly judge GTAV yet since I'm not very far, but it seems like it could just end up winning my vote for the whole darn thing.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bought Witcher 2 from Amazon, played it for about an hour and sent that shit back. Fallout 3 for me.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Never understood how people liked FO3 more than NV. Everything about the sequel was better, from the story to the design of the world (no more horrible underground sections).

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm,both games have their flaws, but I really didn't think the mechanics and systems worked in Fallout (The shooting is terrible! The level up system is a bad fit! Sneaking is broken and boring!). Also a lot of my problems with The Witcher got fixed later by the developers, Fallout can't really say the same.

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#56  Edited By omghisam

Beat both. I love The Witcher, it had the better story but Fallout had better mechanics. If the Witcher had a better leveling and crafting system it would be GotG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is unfortunate. The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs and well-written games of this generation. Fallout 3, while having a fantastic setting and amazing sense of exploration just had far too many shortcomings for me to say it was a better game than TW2.

If you voted for Fallout 3 without having played The Witcher 2, shame on you - go buy that shit and play it right now. If you've played both and prefer Fallout 3, that's perfectly fine, even though I think you're insane.

outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

never bothered to finish witcher 2, didn't think it was that interesting. Fallout on the other hand was one of those games i played until there was nothing left to do.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never understood how people liked FO3 more than NV. Everything about the sequel was better, from the story to the design of the world (no more horrible underground sections).

I think it mainly won out because it came first, New Vegas basically just built upon what it created. Although yeah, as far as I'm concerned, NV was Fallout 3.

The Witcher 2 is a better game than either in any case anyway.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By TobbRobb

How is Fallout even close to winning this

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Jimbo

Witcher 1 > Witcher 2 > New Vegas > Fallout 3

All great games though. I'm happy just to see Witcher 2 holding its own considering how many copies Fallout 3 sold.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

People sure seem to like greenish brown and boredom...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Witcher 2 is one of the best games I ever played. Fallout 3 had its moments, but the buggy as hell Fallout: New Vegas was better. If the Witcher 2 loses to Fallout 3, well, fuck you guys.

Theassman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Theassman

Fallout 3 because atmosphere

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65  Edited By mclargepants

The Witcher 2 is my favorite RPG of the generation, if it loses I will be sad. Come on people! We can save it!

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#66  Edited By RawknRo11a

One of the toughest choices yet...

as most have guessed I'm thinking simply more people have played Fallout 3 than the Witcher 2. I loved both games, but damn Witcher 2 was amazing...

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

The Witcher 2, in my opinion, is arguably one of the best RPG's of the last generation. Superb combat, fantastic narrative, gorgeous visuals, the works. I couldn't stand Fallout's combat system.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you have never played Witcher 2 and voted for fallout, you have committed a great sin. Witcher 2 does pretty much everything right. The combat, story and world feels so well crafted. No part of that game felt like it was tacked on. It was one of the few games where every single gameplay option they gave you was useful and in some cases incredibly necessary. To top it all off, there is an awesome sense of satisfaction when you finally figure out how to get past an encounter.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By weegieanawrench

I will vote for Fallout 3 until I can't.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consolitis is strong with these forums.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I thought Fallout 3 would win by a landslide, I had no idea people feel so strongly about Witcher 2. I also feel strongly about Witcher 2.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By artelinarose

@claude said:

Witcher 2 is one of the best games I ever played. Fallout 3 had its moments, but the buggy as hell Fallout: New Vegas was better. If the Witcher 2 loses to Fallout 3, well, fuck you guys.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah who cares if Fallout wins here. We all know Mass Effect 2 is gonna win the whole thing in the end but whatever, this is for fun and gets people discussing a bunch of the games they really liked this past generation.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lack of Witcher 2 in further polls makes me sad and want to play that game again. I can never go back to fallout due to the bad combat and it looks like a turd even for its time. Mods help though

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MarkWahlberg

The Witcher is more interesting, Fallout is more fun.

Fallout's grey-brown monotone kind of always gave me a headache though. So Witcher... I guess?

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If you have never played Witcher 2 and voted for fallout, you have committed a great sin. Witcher 2 does pretty much everything right. The combat, story and world feels so well crafted. No part of that game felt like it was tacked on. It was one of the few games where every single gameplay option they gave you was useful and in some cases incredibly necessary. To top it all off, there is an awesome sense of satisfaction when you finally figure out how to get past an encounter.

Really? Because I played The Witcher 2 like last week and man was that ending totally unsatisfying. It didn't feel like it was really a culmination of anything, I just found a dude and then he gave me some exposition for the next game. That entire last chapter just really bummed me out, in a "Man, this is whole area and the quests surrounding it are super dull compared to everything before it" kind of way. Opinions are opinions obviously, but I just can't see it being perceived as flawless myself.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#78  Edited By beard_of_zeus

@ulquiokani said:

Really? Because I played The Witcher 2 like last week and man was that ending totally unsatisfying. It didn't feel like it was really a culmination of anything, I just found a dude and then he gave me some exposition for the next game. That entire last chapter just really bummed me out, in a "Man, this is whole area and the quests surrounding it are super dull compared to everything before it" kind of way. Opinions are opinions obviously, but I just can't see it being perceived as flawless myself.

I ended up voting for Witcher 2 myself, but you are right, the ending to that game is just a dumptruck full of exposition and kinda bad. However, Fallout 3's ending is somehow even worse (especially if you happen to have the dude immune from radiation in your party), so they kinda cancel each other out in that aspect.

The first 2/3rds of W2 are pretty amazing from top to bottom, but I think I'd tend to agree the last stretch of the game isn't as good. Still really loved it overall.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#79  Edited By Sessh

This is the first vote that is kinda pissing me off, because Witcher 2 is just a way better game. Yes, Fallout 3, was good, and yes it was an important game, but Witcher 2 still tops it easily.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 is one of my all time favorite games, my game of the generation. Bugs? I played the game for two hundred hours and had maybe three lock-ups. In terms of atmosphere and building a creepy, dreary, and scary world, this game hit me the hardest. People shit on the story, but I loved it. Maybe it was because my dad had died the year previously, but following your dad across the wasteland and piecing together what he was doing was really awesome to me. Also, all the side quests and locations were unique and interesting, far better than what Bethesda has done in Skyrim, for instance. Also, the game has a fucking amazing soundtrack.

Loading Video...

Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Coming into this one I thought it'd be closer for me and the toughest choice so far in this tourney. Then I remembered how good the writing is in The Witcher. Caveat incoming: I'm only a chapter into the Witcher 2 but the original (which I played in May) is any way indicative of what CDPR did with the Witcher 2 then I know it'll easily surpass anything story-wise of FO3.

I also forgot how meaningful and truly grey the choices in TW are vs. FO. FO like many games boils down its choice system to red and blue, good and evil, "kill this box full of puppies or start an animal shelter" type of decisions.

TW made me take long pauses when deciding between key decisions. The pen-ultimate decision of that game had me doing some real introspective analysis of who I wanted to be and represent. It wasn't a clear choice of this option is clearly evil and this one isn't or vice-versa both had their positives and negatives. The decision had real weight and gravity to it. Something that is clearly missing in FO3 (New Vegas however...would be an interesting and tougher comparison) and just cannot hold up to what TW is offering in terms of player agency.

There are many other reasons why one could argue for TW or TW2 vs. FO3 but I don't think any matter as much.

Witcher Geralt also slays men and beast with ease and gets laid on the regular, hard to vote against a guy like that, amirite?

TW2 by a Wild Hunt.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fallout 3 is one of the most disappointing games of the generation, so if that's what this is for then yeah I'll vote for it. Since this poll is related to actually enjoyable games then I'll go with Witcher 2.

I'd much rather take a game with interesting characters, great world-building, fun combat, and phenomenal visuals over something that's pretty much the antithesis to all of that but "open world."

magicwalnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Fallout 3 was awesome, despite not being what Fallout fans were looking for. However, I think Witcher 2 set a much higher bar in terms of RPG player choice and mature storytelling.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#84  Edited By tearhead

I loved both of these games, however, Fallout's world is so much more unique. Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy, and Fallout 3's main story was weak, but the side quest/stories and that open world was something I never saw before, in any medium.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

This would have gone differently for me if this was about New Vegas. Not that my vote for Witcher 2 matters. Fallout 3 will win anyway. I thought it was good, too, when it came out.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By sissylion

I'm not entirely sure I even liked Fallout 3, but I voted for it because I think it's one of the more important games to have happened this generation. Also I didn't, you know, play The Witcher.

Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Swaboo

@zeik said:

It would have been a harder choice if it was New Vegas.

Witcher 2.

But New Vegas wouldnt exist without Fallout 3. Having played Fallout 3 i have better memories of it even though i enjoyed NV more and played more of it. Fallout 3 is probably my number one game of the generation.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are great but Fallout 3 interested me just a bit more.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

C'mon doods, Witcher 2!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Zeik

@swaboo said:

@zeik said:

It would have been a harder choice if it was New Vegas.

Witcher 2.

But New Vegas wouldnt exist without Fallout 3. Having played Fallout 3 i have better memories of it even though i enjoyed NV more and played more of it. Fallout 3 is probably my number one game of the generation.

That's kind of irrelevant to game quality. If legacy is all that matters then nothing would exist without Pong so that's the best game ever made.

Fallout 3 wasn't a bad game or anything, but I enjoyed New Vegas way more, so it ranks higher.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By falling_fast

if it were new vegas it might a tough choice, but I didn't like Fallout 3 except for the brilliant art style. I don't know that I would call witcher 2 an open world game. not in the bethesda sense of the word, anyway. but whatever...

Witcher 2!

RobotSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story and characters are important to me in an RPG. Fallout is great because of its exploration, but it has nothing on The Witcher's nuanced plot populated by characters of a spectrum of morality.

TheNightWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree with the people saying that if it were a match-up between New Vegas and The Witcher 2, it would be a much more difficult decision. Fallout 3 was a poorly written game with a lot of repetitive environments and poor graphics/animations. I guess it has a pretty good atmosphere, but I feel that overall it just shows how lazy Bethesda has become. The Witcher 2 on the other hand is mostly well written and is extremely visually impressive in pretty much every way. Huge improvement over the first Witcher game, especially considering that it comes from Polish developers that probably have a tenth of the resources that Bethesda have (not that this has anything to do with the game's quality, but is interesting nonetheless).

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@mb said:

Has anyone who has played both of these games actually voted for Fallout 3?

Yes, I have played both and I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot more.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#95  Edited By LackingSaint

@bulby33 said:
@mb said:

Has anyone who has played both of these games actually voted for Fallout 3?

Yes, I have played both and I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot more.

Same here. Sucks that some of the Witcher voters are coming off as massively elitist.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It was close all the way but Fallout 3 had enough AP to take the win with 54% of the and 795 votes cast.