GUI: "Gooey" or "Gee-You-Ai"?

• 127 results
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Poll GUI: "Gooey" or "Gee-You-Ai"? (349 votes)

"Gooey" 46%
"Gee-You-Ai" 54%

I've always thought "G-U-I" was the proper way to pronounce it, saying it like "gooey" just sounds silly to me. Apparently quite a few people prefer a latter though. Like Peter Molyneux.

Where do you stand?

• 
gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@alexw00d said:

@scrawnto said:

@alexw00d said:

@tycobb said:

@sergio: Does that mean you pronounce "character" as "caracter" or "char" as "car"? Varchar = Variable Character -- therefore it is vare-care. =)

Wait are you saying you pronounce character as careactor? Wtf.

I think it's more like care-ick-ter. No one says char-ick-ter or car-ick-ter, and no one says char-actor. I don't know where you got the 'actor' part.

I don't know what kind of crazy foreign English you speak, but it's most definitely pronounced char-actor. Actor and Acter are pronouced the same.

Wait, are you a cowboy? That's what a really bad impression of a cowboy would sound like if they said character.

Wait, wait, wait... so if you were to say "I think Booker DeWitt is a really interesting character", you would pronounce the "ch" as an aspirated fricative, not a stop consonant? I.e., you would pronounce the "ch" in "character" like you would pronounce the "ch" in "chair", not like the "ch" in "chaos"?

Dude, you're a weirdo.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

ka-rak-ta

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Canteu

@alexw00d: You're thinking of this from an English accent perspective. Americans can't say words with A in them properly remember?

Kar-ack-ter to us would be care-ick-ter to their crazy accent.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By AlexW00d

@gkhan: No, I would have figured people here were intelligent enough to understand that the CH in Character isn't pronounced like CH in chair. Sorry if you don't fit that description.

@canteu Sounds about right. :/

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105  Edited By musclerider

I'm a CS major and I think gooey sounds ridiculous.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@gkhan: No, I would have figured people here were intelligent enough to understand that the CH in Character isn't pronounced like CH in chair. Sorry if you don't fit that description.

This whole discussion started with TyCobb complaining that most people mispronounce Varchar (the SQL datatype) as /'vɒrtʃar/ (i.e. with the "ch" as an aspirated fricative, as in "charred", or "chair" or the "t" in "nature"), and not the (supposedly) correct way of pronounciation /'værkɛər/ (i.e. with "ch" as a stop consonant, as in "chaos", and the whole of "char" being pronounced as "care", as in the beginning of "character")! But you've been going around saying constantly that you don't pronounce "character" that way, you pronounce it "char-actor", and not as "care-actor" or "car-actor".

Do you see the confusion here? The first person argued that "char" should be pronounced with a stop consonant, and you said that he was wrong. Maybe you should read your comments before posting them.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised anyone pronounces it gooey, more surprised that it's an even split in the polls.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By Scrawnto

@canteu said:

@alexw00d: You're thinking of this from an English accent perspective. Americans can't say words with A in them properly remember?

Kar-ack-ter to us would be care-ick-ter to their crazy accent.

I cannot even imagine an English person pronouncing the middle syllable as "ack". I only used an 'i' because I don't know how to type that upside down 'e' (ə) used in pronunciation guides. Am I mistaken as reading "Ack" as the first syllable in "accent" for example? I just can't get that to fit in the middle of character in any way that makes sense.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto: Well here you go. I am an English person. Everyone I have ever met who is English says it like that. You cant do it because you say the char as care, because of your accent.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

im a cs major and ive never heard someone say gooey, i suspect its a regional thing, like pop vs soda or bubbler vs water fountain

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@scrawnto: You cant do it because you say the char as care, because of your accent.

That's how you pronounce it!

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb: Not if you don't speak with an American accent.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerse said:

im a cs major and ive never heard someone say gooey, i suspect its a regional thing, like pop vs soda or bubbler vs water fountain

I'm a cs major and i've never heard a teacher NOT say gooey. Weird.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nickl said:

@kerse said:

Same here. Every professor I've had so far has said gooey.

I think computing-related abbreviations sound cool and futuristic when you spell them out, though, so Gee You Eye it shall remain!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Snail

@nickl said:

@kerse said:

I really don't understand how this can be so split and how so many people can be like "What? I've never heard it pronounced differently!"

Maybe it's a UK/US thing? Or maybe it actually just randomly depends from school to school. Anyway, "gooey" already is a word and it is frequently used to describe something sticky and of an often adhesive nature. So why would I want to say this word when talking about software design? That is so so silly.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By audiosnow

Pick and choose. Whether you want to pronounce each letter of an abbreviation or pronounce it as a word, it's up to you.

I say G-U-I.

I also pronounce "ISO," both the image setting and the file format, as "EYE-SO."

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By NickL

@snail said:

@nickl said:

@kerse said:

I really don't understand how this can be so split and how so many people can be like "What? I've never heard it pronounced differently!"

Maybe it's a UK/US thing? Or maybe it actually just randomly depends from school to school. Anyway, "gooey" already is a word and it is frequently used to describe something sticky and of an often adhesive nature. So why would I want to say this word when talking about software design? That is so so silly.

My school has a pretty multicultural staff so I don't think it's something like UK vs US. I've heard a lot of guest lectures from a lot of people in different companies and every time they have always said gooey so I'm fairly certain it is the standard within the CS world.

Edit: even the stack overflow site agrees on gooey so i'd guarantee it is the standard. (Every cs major will learn to become best friends with that site and it usually has pretty trustworthy answers.)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickl said:

@snail said:

@nickl said:

@kerse said:

My school has a pretty multicultural staff so I don't think it's something like UK vs US. I've heard a lot of guest lectures from a lot of people in different companies and every time they have always said gooey so I'm fairly certain it is the standard within the CS world.

Edit: even the stack overflow site agrees on gooey so i'd guarantee it is the standard. (Every cs major will learn to become best friends with that site and it usually has pretty trustworthy answers.)

I studied computer science for three years and only my high-school teacher rarely pronounced it as "gooey", and he eventually seemingly quit that habit. There's a guy in this thread who claims to be a CS major and he said he has never heard it pronounced like that.

galloughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By galloughs

I've met a few people who say "gooey", and immediately do everything I can to ensure I'll never see them again.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By supamon

Studied Computer Science and heard it both ways from lecturers and students alike. "Gooey" sounds silly to me so I prefer saying UI "you eye".

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way more people say "gooey" than I am comfortable with accepting.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gooey, although before I heard people call it gooey I said G.U.I.

game-over

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By game-over

Most of the people I work with say "Gooey", and on that note I also say "Gooey".

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#126  Edited By LiquidPrince

Gooey.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

Heads up: an acronym is something initialized which you say like a word, such as NASA. Otherwise it's called an initialism.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

I've always said it G.U.I but everyone in my office says Gooey. Damn annoying but I guess I'll have to adapt!

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gooey always...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#130  Edited By monkeyking1969

The creation of an acronym is to simply communication. You don't simplify G-U-I by saying each better and making it a multisyllabic construction. So 'Gooey' for two reasons, because an acronym 'should' be pronounced as a word, and 'gooey' because it is is less syllables.