Has an uncompleted game ever been considered a favorite?

• 82 results
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoG

In my earlier years as I gamer, when I was beginning to get involved with the game community, the question of "what are your favorite games?" often came up. Being young, naive, and inexperienced, I often named games I had yet to complete as favorites. For example, Final Fantasy VI has had a spot on my favorites list for as long as I can remember. I never actually finished the game until my Junior year of high school, when I decided it was silly of me to call it a favorite if I couldn't even endure to see the end of the game. Before this, I had only ever progressed as far as the second world (after Kefka destroys everything.)  
I know I'm not alone in this, either. In the many conversations I've had about games, I've encountered many people who have done the same thing. Popular RPGs seem to be most common. People fall in love with the game, but can't seem to finish it, and rarely due to difficulty.   
I've also wondered why we do this. I've considered the case I mentioned before, with Final Fantasy VI. In middle school, I had played many FF games, not one to completion. I liked the series, and FFVI was the one that I had enjoyed the most. I think that my enjoying the game, combined with it's great reputation, influenced me to name it as one of my favorites. On the other hand, at the time I had put more time into the game Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, and had achieved 100% completion in the game. I never called it a favorite, and I wonder if it's due to the game being less critically acclaimed, or less popular.
So, have you ever done this? And why did you do it?
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I've never done it, but sure, I think someone can call an uncompleted game a favorite. I'm of the opinion, though, that no one can seriously call themselves a "fan" of a game they haven't even bothered to finish.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hell no.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Goly
@Video_Game_King said:
Hell no.
Yeah. Would you consider a book you haven't finished your favorite, or a movie? It doesn't make sense.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Goly said:
@Video_Game_King said:
Hell no.
Yeah. Would you consider a book you haven't finished your favorite, or a movie? It doesn't make sense.
But those mediums are completely based on storytelling. When talking about video games, someone could say that Tetris is their favorite game of all time, for example, but Tetris can't be finished.
sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sirdesmond

@FluxWaveZ said:

When talking about video games, someone could say that Tetris is their favorite game of all time, for example, but Tetris can't be finished.

This.

If someone said that L.A. Noire was there favorite game a year from now and they hadn't finished it then I would think that was a little odd, but if their favorite game is Bejeweled or something of that sort and they had only played one mode I'd be fine with it.

Plus, it is their favorite, not yours so it can still be their favorite even if they haven't finished it although you may have different personal standards.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
@FluxWaveZ

Didn't the original Tetris have levels and shit? In fact... yea, it can be finished.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Video_Game_King: There are many variations of Tetris and I'm sure not all of them can't be finished. And, in any case, my example can be substituted with whatever else arcade game that can't be finished.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Karl_Boss

I don't think so....I did fail to beat Super Metroid many times when I was a kid even though I loved it, but I eventually got around to beating when my skills increased....same with FFV.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By xpgamer7

I think it's possible, but not something for me.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Goly
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Goly said:
@Video_Game_King said:
Hell no.
But those mediums are completely based on storytelling. When talking about video games, someone could say that Tetris is their favorite game of all time, for example, but Tetris can't be finished.
I think OP was refering to games which have a story, since he was talking about Final Fantasy and all. Not games which are more arcadey or based on scores.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Goly said: 
I think OP was refering to games which have a story, since he was talking about Final Fantasy and all. Not games which are more arcadey or based on scores.
If that's what he meant, my stance on the matter still stays the same because even if the opinion on what someone can call a "favorite" differs from one person to the next, it doesn't matter to the person saying that an unfinished game is their favorite.
NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By NickBOTT

I've never called a game I didn't finish a favorite but I can see how somebody would.  In the OP case I can see where he's coming from bc an RPG like FF can take many more hrs to complete than your average action/adventure game so the chances of not being able to complete it is higher.  Plus, if someone wants to call a game, or anything for that matter their favorite, then who the hell is anybody to say no it's not.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Goly
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Goly said: 
If that's what he meant, my stance on the matter still stays the same because even if the opinion on what someone can call a "favorite" differs from one person to the next, it doesn't matter to the person saying that an unfinished game is their favorite.
I agree, everyone has a right to say what their favorite things are or not. But to me it wouldn't make sense, if it's your favorite and you like it so much, wouldn't you want to know how it ends? 
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Akrid

One moment can potentially make the game. Maybe the next 5 hrs after that moment are shit! 

Also, it can be super difficult to jump back into a game after a long wait, no matter how good it is.

GameReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By GameReviews

Yes, actually. I love Contra hard Corps on the sega genesis but never have beaten the last level. I've only gotten to the final boss once. 

For anyone interested in Call of Duty youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigManno66
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

Well I've put more hours into Oblivion than I'd care to admit, but I've never really finished the main quest-line. Just playing side-quests and mods has satisfied me enough, and I'd consider Oblivion (and also Morrowind, which same deal, I never finished) to be some of my favorites.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By soldierg654342

What about the fighting game fans? While many do contain singleplayer content, I'm sure there are plenty of people who can claim that any particular fighting game is their favorite game without having beaten the story or challenge modes. 

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By coaxmetal

At first I thought you meant a game for which the development wasn't completed, and I was going to say hell yes. Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines is one of my all time favorite games.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BoG

A lot of interesting points have been brought up. Personally, I think the Tetris and Contra examples are interesting. I don't think you necessarily have to be a good at a game to enjoy it. If this were the case, I would hate most multiplayer FPS games. One example for me would be Lumines. If you browse my blog, you'll find that I made a "top thirty games" back when that was the cool thing to do. Lumines is #30, yet I've  never reached the final level of any Lumines title. I think, in the case of puzzle games, you don't need to get to the final level to get the full experience. The only things that really change are speed and background colors. If you suck at Lumines, like me, you'll never see every level. 
Another one for me is Ghouls n' Ghosts, which I love, but have never progressed past the third level. Note that, in each of these games, story really isn't an issue, though in GnG, you experience less by not progressing as far. 

Story driven JRPGs on the other hand are rarely so difficult that you can't see the game to it's end with a little bit of effort. If you're annoyed by grinding or gathering equipment, yet need to do it to beat a game you love, how can you really enjoy the game? 

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Vice City. Think I finished a couple of years ago, but that was years after I had finished even San Andreas. That game was just so fun to mess around with.

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oblivion. Never beaten the main story, still one of my favorite games (don't really have a SUPER DUPER SPECIAL ALLTIME FAVORITE though).

Also, cue the "herp derp Oblivion is shit go die" comments.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#23  Edited By sammo21

People say Final Fantasy all the time and never get near to completing them (I'm not saying that's you). I would venture to say up until the last couple of years where games have gotten shorter and easier, most people didn't finish games they loved. How many people do you know who actually completed SMB1?

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Badhands

I think that if while you are playing a game you say this is your favorite game and you have the full intent of beating that is fine. I am currently playing through the starcraft 2 campaign and although I have not finished it yet I can honestly say it is my favorite new game.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By TehFlan

Yeah, totally. As long as it isn't your favorite because of the story, cause I feel like you should probably experience the whole story before saying that. As an example, Super Mario 64 is still one of my favorite games, but I wasn't really good enough at it as a kid to finish it. (I should probably go back and do that, though, if only to play more Super Mario 64.)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

I did a poll a while back similar to this subject. I've never finished a Metal Gear game, but consider myself a fan.

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#27  Edited By liquidmatt

Most of the posts here sum up my general opinion but just to add my own little piece, it depends on the style of game. If it's a particularly story-dependent game then I wouldn't really consider it possible to call it a favourite if the ending is disappointing for the player. However, if the player finds the gameplay that rewarding on its own then all the more for it, as long as they don't call it a favourite just to fit in or other ridiculous reasons like that. On the other hand, I know many people that would easily call Halo or Call of Duty their favourite game based solely on the experience they have in the multiplayer, but either haven't completed or even touched the single-player. 

TLDR; People like what people like.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Devil240Z

I have never gotten 100% in a gran turismo game and thats my favorite series of all time.

Same goes for Tokyo Xtreme Racer. Never gotten 100% there either.

I never finished Earth Defense Force 2017 on Inferno difficulty and its in my top 10 games of all time.

Though I did beat Metal Gear Solid 3 twice in one day...

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bumpton

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I never finished Chrono Trigger despite really enjoying my time with it. I was playing it on the DS and lost the cartridge. Those damn things are tiny and like to hide! I just haven't convinced myself to pick it up again... I was so far and surely it'll pop up somewhere while cleaning, right?! ...right? 

I don't know if I can call it one of my favorites though. I'm not a huge RPG player so it's high on my list of RPGs, but probably further down on the list of just favorite games.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho

Yes. I very often don't complete games I'm enjoying when I reach a point where it seems like they're adding filler. I don't want to taint the experience, and they won't let me just skip over it, so I stop playing before I ruin my experience. Happens very often. Happens with most Rockstar games for sure. I've enjoyed every Advance Wars game but I couldn't beat the last 2. Its really not a hard thing to reconcile, enjoying a game you didn't complete, unless you're some weird obsessive compulsive freak.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uniform

Demon's Souls is my favorite PS3 release, and I have yet to complete Demon's Souls. Old King Allant turned out to be just too much for me.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BombKareshi
@FluxWaveZ said:
I'm of the opinion, though, that no one can seriously call themselves a "fan" of a game they haven't even bothered to finish.
I'm a fan of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, yet I could never finish that final escape sequence. So, what now? Does that make me not really a fan?
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By valrog

Yes.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Akeldama

@uniform said:

Demon's Souls is my favorite PS3 release, and I have yet to complete Demon's Souls. Old King Allant turned out to be just too much for me.

May I ask why?

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By Tordah

Yes, FF6 is a favourite of mine as well even though I've never finished it. I just get tired of the game mechanics in jRPGs before I reach the end.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@BombKareshi said: 
I'm a fan of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, yet I could never finish that final escape sequence. So, what now? Does that make me not really a fan?
You can call yourself a fan of a game if you'd like, but I won't take your stance on the game seriously. Just like I wouldn't take anyone who called themselves a fan of the Harry Potter series but only watched the first two movies seriously. To me, a fan of a game is one who is devoted to it and very much enjoyed all it has to offer.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I'd say so, a lot of games have no end. So it could very easily be used. 
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I consider Fallout 3 to be one of my all-time favorite games, and I've never completed it. I still intend to, and I've seen enough of it to know that even a bad ending won't change my mind about how much I love it. I've put probably a good 300 hours into it, and just haven't finished it yet because I explore the world so thoroughly.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Bass

I think that a lot of the people that have or do hold a game in high regard that they never finished are normally people that played that game when they were young. When I was 7 years old, I played Ocarina of Time. I thought that was an amazing game, even my favorite. However, I was unable to beat one of the bosses (Bongo Bongo) at the time, and put the game on the shelf for another three years, when I revisited the game and beat it easily.

During those three years of break time, Ocarina of Time was still my favorite games, despite not being good enough to beat the entire game.

I think most older people won't have a favorite that they haven't finished (unless the game cannot be finished) simply because they are capable of beating the game.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BoG
@FluxWaveZ said:
@BombKareshi said: 
You can call yourself a fan of a game if you'd like, but I won't take your stance on the game seriously. Just like I wouldn't take anyone who called themselves a fan of the Harry Potter series but only watched the first two movies seriously. To me, a fan of a game is one who is devoted to it and very much enjoyed all it has to offer.  
I kind of have to agree with you here. One of the reasons i went back and played all the FF games from beginning to end when I was a junior was so i could take my own self seriously. I said I was a FF fan, yet couldn't get through one of the games. Now, I feel comfortable as a fan of the series becasue I've beaten more than half of the games.

@Tordah said:
Yes, FF6 is a favourite of mine as well even though I've never finished it. I just get tired of the game mechanics in jRPGs before I reach the end.

I guess one of my questions would be, can you consider it a favorite if you get tired of it before the end? If you like it as much as you say you do, what about the game makes it one of your favorites? 

I guess one of the major questions on my mind is, if you enjoy a game enough to call it an all time favorite, how can you not enjoy it enough to at least finish the main campaign? Note, I feel that attaining 100% completion is TOTALLY different, though I'm still trying to decide why.
Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Cwaff

Final Fantasy 4 is one of my favourite FF games, though I never finished it. I was severely underlevelled by the time I got to the last boss and I just could not beat him. Gonna have to break out the cartridge again and start grinding!

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SadPatrol

Super Mario world comes to mind

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Choffy

All the time as a kid. Banjo-Kazooie immediately springs to mind. It was a fun game, but I wasn't very old and started other games, never finishing it.

Come to think about it, I don't finish a lot of games anymore. Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Turambar

I have played FFVI about 7 or 8 times up to the final boss fight with Kefka on the SNES, pc emulators, and the GBA.  Never actually finished it.  It's also my favorite game.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By uniform
@Akeldama said:

@uniform said:

May I ask why?

Many reasons. The ambience was the first aspect that drew me to the game. Demon's Souls grim nature is very appealing to me. I took great delight inching my way forward with the knowledge that letting my guard down would often result in a swift death. I often play this way, as well as playing this way for many games that do not require it. Approaching the game in the way I did seemed to alleviate the punishing difficulty that seems to get all the attention, but it's always present and there's a definite thrill to it. There's also a small rush knowing that your game can be invaded by another player. Advancement in Demon's Souls gives me a real feeling of accomplishment, a feeling absent with harder difficulty settings in most other games which seem to always come across as artificial. That's the basis of my love for Demon's Souls. I honestly never had a current generation console game that made me want to rush home from work each day to play it.

As for Old King Allant, there's a couple reasons for his triumph. He was the first taste of repetitious death I had in Demon's Souls. In most cases I learn from my mistakes, come back, and make the required adjustments. However, with this particular boss, I was experiencing an abnormal amount of deaths. Around the fifteenth death I realized I was using some cursed sword that seemed to deplete the wielders health. At this point I felt stupid, frustrated, and my confidence level was at a new low. I tried to play out the battle in my head with a better weapon, but unfortunately I still didn't think I had the fight learned. I plan on giving it another go before the release of Dark Souls. Heck, just typing about this makes me want to overcome that obstacle right now.
Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cathryn

Hmmm, like a lot of other posters, I'd have to say that a lot of this depends on what type of game you're talking about.

For example, I generally list WTF (Work Time Fun) as one of my favourite games, but I have not totally completed it. You can see enough of that game to know whether or not you like its crazy Japaneseness without actually getting every possible item from the vending machines etc... Just like there are lots of puzzle games, such as Bejeweled that are pretty difficult to finish.

I have a hard time with someone calling a more story-heavy game a favourite, though. Of course, gameplay is important, but what if there's some ridiculous story twist you don't know about at the end of that game that could possibly change your opinion about it? What if there's an enormous difficulty leap that drives you crazy like the last level in Psychonauts did for me?

I just feel like endings are important enough that if you're going to list a game that has an ending as one of your favourites, you should just lock it up and get 'er done unless, for some reason, you no longer have access to the game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@uniform: I remember that time Old King Allant made me lose 150k souls. Fun times. Though, as a magician, the game was pretty easy so it took 3 tries, I think, to kill him for me.
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By Tylea002

Yes. I played the shit out of JSRF as a kid, never got to the end. Data always got deleted. But because of the age that I played it at, because of the fun I remember having with it, it holds a special place in the 'favourite' section of my heart.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By uniform
@FluxWaveZ

I built my Royal as a swordsman..woman? Female with a sword. Perhaps my error was not enough focus on magic. Discussing the game makes me want to give it another go with a fresh start. Magic may be even more to my liking. Thank you for the tip.
Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#50  Edited By Popskinz

I never beat Oblivion's main quest line (mainly because it was rather tedious) but i still consider it to be one of my favourite games of all time.