Has there ever been a game that has actually impacted you?

• 106 results
Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#51  Edited By Draugen

Yup. All the time. I'm a sensitive soul, me.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By impartialgecko

I was impacted by Joe Esposito and Bonnie Tyler in Saints Row the Third. If we're talking emotions it doesn't get more joyful than that.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By xymox

I've teared up while playing Dreamfall and Persona 4. I tear up during endings, too... Most notably Half-Life Episode 2, or more recently and perhaps less obvious, the Bioshock 2 ending. In fact, I'm tearing up right now. Actually no, I made that last part up, but I do allow myself to be immersed while playing games and pay for it by taking emotional hits. Persona 4 probably remains to this day the most impactful. and yes, I teared at the ending as well. As for fear, Amnesia and the water splashing scene right in the beginning. Truly horrifying experience.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By penguindust

The end of Persona 3 is the only game that's moved me emotionally. I tear up from anime and movies all the time, but games don't seem to have the same effect. It might be the lack of fluid characterization or just the interactive nature of the medium, but for whatever reason, they don't similarly affect me. Persona 4 didn't touch me the same way Persona 3 did probably because the whole tone was lighter.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By two_socks

Journey and MGS3. I didn't tear up, but they're the ones that affected me the most. MGS3 because of The Boss, and Journey because it's Journey.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Ghostiet

Of course. And by a lot of titles. Bastion, Mother 3, Planescape Torment, Red Dead Redemption, Nier, Katawa Shoujo. I don't remember crying, but I rarely cry when reading books or watching movies, but I did feel a certain weight during a lot of scenes. The endings of Nier and Mother 3 are one of the most emotionally taxing things I've ever seen.

Max422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Max422

The Company of Myself, it's a flash game by 2DArray.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Turambar
@Hailinel said:

@RedCream said:

Persona 4 particularly the hospital scene. It reduced me to manly tears.

I really, really had to take a break at that point. Oh, man.

I rewatch that episode of the Endurance run because Jesus Christ.  I know that my girlfriend actively stopped playing the game for a few days at that point.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Animasta

@Ghostiet said:

Of course. And by a lot of titles. Bastion, Mother 3, Planescape Torment, Red Dead Redemption, Nier, Katawa Shoujo. I don't remember crying, but I rarely cry when reading books or watching movies, but I did feel a certain weight during a lot of scenes. The endings of Nier and Mother 3 are one of the most emotionally taxing things I've ever seen.

I sometimes rewatch the final boss in mother 3, that's probably the most depressing final boss of all time

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#60  Edited By Little_Socrates

Yes, many times.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#61  Edited By shinboy630

@Nightriff said:

Journey

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By sean2206

Mass effect 3, not the ending but several times throughout the campaign. When Thane died, when I thought Grunt had died, Legion's final scene and Mordin's death all really sad and emotional scenes but also a lot of fuck yeah moments throughout the campaign. I swear that game knew who my favorite characters were and set out to kill them all, controllers were thrown when thane died. Bar the mediocre ending that game was a good final chapter.

I just finished Dead Space late last night and that game can be absolutely terrifying at times and edge of your seat tense, especially when those invincible necromorphs show up. I'm looking forward to playing Dead Space 2 to see if its as good.

The death of Dom in GoW3 I thought was pretty emotional although most people seem to have thought it was a bit overdone and cheesy but I liked it.. That is all that comes to mind right now, but I'm sure there is more. So I guess the answer is Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No game has ever made me cry. A few came close though.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Capum15

Mass Effect 3 made me tear up, but not start crying. Damn close though.

Gets me every time.

And to a lesser extent -
ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ervonymous

I'm easily moved by anything that resembles a plot so absolutely.

crimsinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By crimsinf

I'll echo everyone listing moments from Mass Effect 3. I'm not very good at saying goodbye, though.

Also, the last few "trials" in Heavy Rain. There were a couple of messed up situations in there. It was legitimately stressful to finish that game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Ghostiet
@Animasta said:

@Ghostiet said:

I sometimes rewatch the final boss in mother 3, that's probably the most depressing final boss of all time

Yeah, exactly. Either this or Red Dead Redemption, and I really appreciate that both are such downers because of completely different reasons.

Nothing, however, tops the way the Nier developers fuck with the player's emotionality when it comes to the final, fourth ending. Nothing. I don't think even Kojima would have the stomach to do that.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By amir90

Yes, mostly in RPGs thou

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BRich

I don't think a game has made me tear up, but Bastion, Braid, KOTOR and Mass Effect definitely impacted me.

Only a couple movies have actually hit me to the point of tears and they were both Pixar (Up and Toy Story 3).

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70  Edited By demontium

@skyline7284: Yeah, for me it was Earthbound, and I'm pretty sure no game comes close to how that game stands with me emotionally.

Its not just nostalgia, cause I've replayed it recently and I feel the same way. Such a great experience and so different from any game you play, I recommend everyone to try it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#71  Edited By musubi

Metal Gear Solid 4 was an oddly personal journey for me. The first MGS was the first time I ever felt empathy for a video game character. For whatever reason Sniper Wolf and Grey Fox's deaths really got to me.
Most recently I'd say Max Payne 3. The late game scene im the airport terminal got to me. I forgot about everything for a brief time I was max Payne I was going to get my revenge. Rockstar really knows how to punctuate scenes with music. That health song pumping during that scene just absolutely drove me to finish that. Red Dead also had a similar affect on me. I think Marstons fate was pretty obvious from the get go but seeing it unfold made the ending stick with me for days afterward.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By rorie

@skyline7284: End of FFX got me pretty good. I know a lot of people found it to be pretty silly, but man, I liked it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#73  Edited By Phatmac

Recently certain parts of Mass Effect 3 got me. Specifically the main part in Tutchanka and the end choice of the Geth/Quarian war. Also Journey and the ending sections got to me.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By bunnymud

Bioshock and RE back in the day

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Whitestripes09

MGS4 was an awesome journey, tugs on the heart strings seeing a hero so old and fragile.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#76  Edited By MooseyMcMan

There have certainly moments in games that have gotten emotions out of me (other than anger at dying/failing objectives, which doesn't count), but "impacted me?" Hm...

Fable II, Deadly Premonition, and Uncharted 3 come to mind. Mass Effect 3, I guess. There's some great stuff in there. Uh...I don't know, I'm not that emotional a person, other than anger/happiness. What I'm saying is that I've never cried during a game.

Persona 4 kinda counts, but I never actually played it, just watched the Endurance Run.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By 49th

The Heavy Rain soundtrack always makes me something.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By splodge

The first Resident evil game hit me in a strange way. When I was growing up, scary movies never frightened me one bit. I guess I just never felt immersed, because to me it was always 'just a movie'. When I was 14 I played RE and I'll never forget the chill of fear when I encountered that first zombie. It blew my brains out. I was a gamer growing up, but after that it became a truly consistent habit (dunno if thats a good or bad thing)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Animasta

@Ghostiet said:

@Animasta said:

@Ghostiet said:

Yeah, exactly. Either this or Red Dead Redemption, and I really appreciate that both are such downers because of completely different reasons.

Nothing, however, tops the way the Nier developers fuck with the player's emotionality when it comes to the final, fourth ending. Nothing. I don't think even Kojima would have the stomach to do that.

this is true. I specifically didn't get ending D because of this

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By splodge

@Soapy86: Have to say, I shed a manly tear or two during Shadow of the Colossus. Anyone who has played will know which part :(

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, I'm probably going to sound like a complete loser, but the only game to ever make me tear up even a little bit was the ending of Little Busters.

Shadow of the Colossus was also kind of sad I guess.

Other than that, I can't really think of any other game that has impacted me really.

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By rosebud04

Bioshock made me hate Frank Fontaine, and not like other video game bad guys. I was made angry every time i thought of him, after finishing the game. I almost hated him the same as I would a real life asshole!

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#83  Edited By daiphyer

All Mass Effect games.

Red Dead Redemption. Dat ending.

Max Payne 1 and 2.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By LikeaSsur

Nier, Nier, and more Nier. It's the only game that's ever made me cry a full on cry. Sure, Shadow of the Colossus and FFVII made me tear up, but Nier is just sad.

Heavy Rain inspired me to drink orange juice in the morning. I have no idea why.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jerseyscum

To The Moon. It's honestly a bit difficult not to burst out into tears during a few scenes. It's on Good Old Games and well worth checking out.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Something about the end of Limbo really struck a chord with me. Not totally sure why.

And this one may be a bit obvious but Red Dead Redemption. That ending man....damn.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By iam3green

metal gear solid 3. the ending put a little tear in my heart.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Robot_Moses

If the game can get me to connect with the characters it can effect me immensely. Games that come to mind are Red Dead Redemption(dat ending), Persona 4(NO I'M NOT IN LOVE WITH A VIDEOGAME ANIME HIGHSCHOOL GIRL), Deadly Premonition(bizarrely), Mass Effect(kinda only for Garrus+Wrex+Anderson), GTA4(felt so bad for Niko by the end), Fable 2(dog death), and Bastion(Fuck you Rucks and your goddamn voice making me cry every time).

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#89  Edited By falling_fast

mm, planescape: torment and the longest journey. oh, and braid. and skyrim.

Planescape: Torment was the first rpg that I'd ever played that actually engaged me emotionally. For instance, some of the evil choices were just too evil for me. not cartoonish bioware evil, this, but committing really evil acts against characters I'd grown to care about. and the writing/storytelling blew my mind. I never knew a videogame could affect me that way.

the longest journey has probably my favourite character in any game ever. April Ryan inspired me to change the way I live my life.

Braid has probably my favourite soundtrack in any videogame ever. Also, I'm pretty sure it's insidiously changed the way I perceive stuff.

Skyrim is so very close to being the perfect game in my opinion. it's inspiring to me as a wannabe maker of games.

fantasyfreak07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By fantasyfreak07

Mass Effect 3 got me pretty good during the Tuchanka mission. Also, Ghost Trick hit me pretty hard towards the end of it... man what a great game that was.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By myniceicelife

Persona 4 had me tearing up at points for different reasons. The Walking Dead has also been hitting a few notes here and there. Also ME3 had a few rough moments that were expected to happen after the time spent playing the series.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Gruff182

That Metal Gear 4 tunnel.

Infact I think at some point in all the Metal Gear games, theres a point where I stop and go 'fuck'. Which is coll considering all the silly nonsense they also have in them.

I think th Max Payne games usually have similar moments.

TheSheepherder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TheSheepherder

The ending of Persona 3 reduced me to tears. :'(

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently The Walking Dead is a big one. Clementine is just there to make me feel like shit.

The regeneradors in Resident Evil 4 scared the shit out of me, I can still hear the faint breathing sounds those things make.

Persona 4 is another, i got really attached to the characters.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ftomato

A fair chunk of the games in my backlog are emotional games, but of the games I've played, Cave Story and Alpha Protocol come to mind. The few legitimately interesting moral choices in Mass Effect 2 (genophage and Geth) took me a long time to decide as well.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#96  Edited By HH

fable 2, i had an evil fat pirate character, then late in the game i started a family with a whore in that last town on the map, and fell completely in love with the voice acting from the five children we had, i used to go questing, all the while looking forward to hearing them run up to me as i rolled back into town.

at the end - no question, i chose love, and set about living happily ever after. while wrapping up unfinished quests, i unleashed some kind of a wraith or something from a previous area, a message came up on screen just after the damned autosave flashed - the wraith just happened to hit my home town, my wife had been killed, and my kids packed off to an orphanage.

i will never get over it, and lionhead, I will never ever ever forgive you.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ShaggE

Mass Effect and Walking Dead. Especially Walking Dead. A certain scene in Episode 2 could easily stand alongside the all-time great moments in horror.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Walking Dead is right up there for me, as both episodes so far have been played according to my own moral compass, and that has made me realise some uncomfortable truths about myself and the lengths I would be willing to go to if pushed. It's an interesting experience.

Baldur's Gate 2 is definitely another one. Irenicus is the greatest video game villain of all time, possessed of a nuanced, understandable and yet not even remotely sympathetic character arc, and with fantastic writing and voice acting.

Then you have things like getting you invested in your half-sister (via god rape) and the lives and problems of your party members. Fighting alongside Jaheira and her husband in the first game, only to find him dead in the second and subsequently support her and watch a new romance blossom from her mourning was absolutely fascinating and often quite heart wrenching. The romances with Aerie and Viconia also had some real emotional heft to them.

Planescape is another; that entire game was an emotional rollercoaster.

Bastion, Limbo, and Braid all had their moments (Limbo in particular left me with a melancholic feeling as my own interpretation of the ending made me especially sad).

And Gears 3 was emotionally manipulative and executed with about as much finesse as you'd expect from a Gears game, but I'll be damned if my wife and I still didn't look at each other after Mad World finished playing and just went "...fuck"

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#99  Edited By guiseppe

Many. The Darkness, FFX, The Mass Effect series, Half-Life, Half-life 2 (and it's episodes), Portal, Portal 2, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Guitar Hero 1-3, Fallout 3. And the list goes on.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By CaLe

To the Moon made me tear up, but I wouldn't say it impacted me. Nothing has ever impacted me in a way that changes my thinking or anything like that.