Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Catarrhal

@Daiphyer said:

I just wanted to add, the only way this video would've been better is if Brown and McShea were wearing Fuck Ryan Davis shirts.

Maybe next episode… without Ryan Davis. Otherwise, they should not dare.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By RE_Player1

I feel bad for the Gamespot dudes because it's clear they aren't really well informed about anything and than you have Ryan who is very in the know about everything in the industry to some degree. It may seem from a glance that the Giant Bomb crew are a bunch of jokers from the bombcast and general antics but they are pretty much the most informed when it comes to this shit show known as the video game industry,

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#103  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I wish they'd do this kind of thing more often on this site. That whole video reminded me why I like the Giant Bomb guys so much, but it's been a while since I've heard them get serious about... well, anything.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Spoonman671

Yo, I'm not going to listen to Tom McShea for an hour.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By Jrinswand

Ok, I fucked up my question the first time around and I still haven't gotten an answer to what I meant to ask: Why do so many people dislike Tom McShea? It can't just be that he's annoying, can it? I mean, what else is at work there?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#106  Edited By tourgen

@tineyoghurt said:

Man, I think Ryan is totally wrong about the "SteamBox". Why would Valve get into Linux if not to build their own system? I think the bearded guy pretty much nailed what it will be (an open source PC that runs "SteamBuntu" by default).

Other than that Ryan was pretty awesome after he got going.

margins are super thin. selling prebuilt PC boxes is a cut-throat business. Even the big guy (Dell) is having serious trouble selling to consumers. Selling prebuilt PC boxes with Unbuntu installed is outright suicide. There is no way in hell Valve is getting into the business of selling linux boxes.

Ryan is right, their unannounced piece of hardware is almost certainly going to be some sort of PC input device or possibly a low-latency streaming box.

Ryan even tried to hand-hold the guy down the logical path - what would that box be? what would be inside it? what could you use it for? exactly what software would run on it? how open would the platform be? The guy just shut down and became even more obstinate. Pretty funny to watch.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#107  Edited By ajamafalous

Man, Ryan totally shit all over those guys. Reminds me of why I can't stand any video game shows or podcasts that aren't GB. Everything else just seems so tame, pandering, and uninformed. It's lowest common denominator bullshit.

I would really enjoy it when Jeff and Ryan would get deep into industry discussion for 30 minutes on the Bombcast in years past. I wish they'd still do that, but I guess that's what Jar Time is for now.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By Shaka999

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Shaka999 said:

Just finished, and man, props to Ryan, although I feel like he was a little too harsh on these guys. And as a first time viewer of Todd McShea, I'm not a fan of his style (he was way too passive and seemed too eager to agree with Ryan unconditionally), but no need to jump on & needlessly attack him. Dude's a little socially awkward, so what. If you don't enjoy what he does, then don't read/view it. Simple as that.

He wasn't too bad in this one, but there is plenty of audio or video where him being a smug prick is a bit more evident. Just watch that video with him and the producer of Medal of Honor Warfighter or maybe listen to a few episodes of the podcast to get what people mean when they say they don't care for him.

Alright, I'll check it out sometime if I got nothing else to do. @Jrinswand: See above, I guess.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By toowalrus

Watching it now, I love his bluntness (even if it is often sarcastic). Like, his first input into the debate was like "First off, you people are idiots".

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By vikingdeath1

Do all current Gamespot staff just come off as lifeless human twitter feeds because I just don't know them top to bottom like I do the Giantbomb staff? I don't know a damn thing about those two guys but they seemed like a prissy overconfident hipster, and an idiot who doesn't understand how businesses work. (Guess who's who!)

Though i'm sure there are some Fine people working over at Gamespot, I only ever want to watch those two again if Ryan Davis is in the room to deliver Sick Burns!

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Jrinswand said:

Ok, I fucked up my question the first time around and I still haven't gotten an answer to what I meant to ask: Why do so many people dislike Tom McShea? It can't just be that he's annoying, can it? I mean, what else is at work there?

He stinks. Next question

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By wjb

@Jrinswand said:

Like I said already, I'm not a GS regular, but the handful of content I've seen him in, he comes off smug or easily dismissive. I can deal with smugness if the person can back it up, but he always seems like he's in over his head if someone challenges him. Maybe I'm wrong, but from the impression that I get, he seems like the socially awkward guy who works for a major website and his face is constantly out there, so he feels like he has to act a certain way. In the video, Ryan seemed to be more knowledgeable than the other two guys combined.

No big deal because I don't frequent GS at all except for the occasional Van Ord review.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By Jams

@tourgen said:

@tineyoghurt said:

Man, I think Ryan is totally wrong about the "SteamBox". Why would Valve get into Linux if not to build their own system? I think the bearded guy pretty much nailed what it will be (an open source PC that runs "SteamBuntu" by default).

Other than that Ryan was pretty awesome after he got going.

margins are super thin. selling prebuilt PC boxes is a cut-throat business. Even the big guy (Dell) is having serious trouble selling to consumers. Selling prebuilt PC boxes with Unbuntu installed is outright suicide. There is no way in hell Valve is getting into the business of selling linux boxes.

Ryan is right, their unannounced piece of hardware is almost certainly going to be some sort of PC input device or possibly a low-latency streaming box.

Ryan even tried to hand-hold the guy down the logical path - what would that box be? what would be inside it? what could you use it for? exactly what software would run on it? how open would the platform be? The guy just shut down and became even more obstinate. Pretty funny to watch.

Exactly! The only thing it could be (in my mind) is an onlive like device. But instead of it going to a warehouse full of computers, it runs over your network and connects to your PC. That way, they aren't competing with themselves. It's the perfect solution to wanting to play your PC games on your TV without all the hassle. Because some people don't want a computer in their living rooms. Some people don't have their computers anywhere near where their TV is. I looked into wireless HDMI and that would solve my problem of being too far away, but then how would I get a mouse, keyboard and controller to work 100 feet away from my computer? Wasn't the OnLive box plus a controller only like $99? That's almost nothing.

The Steam Box could run it's own version of big picture. It would read your games list over your network and when you play one, it'd stream the video and controls to you in the living room. $100 gets you the box and a controller with maybe an HDMI and Cat5e cable. The Steam box will run over your network with a wired or wireless connection, but you should use gigabit Ethernet for best results. The software to run it on your computer is built into Steam already. MILLION BUCKS

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Shaka999

@ArbitraryWater: Sorry to spam your inbox, but I'm watching the Warfighter video... ok, now I see what you're talking about. For anyone who cares, click here.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By napalm

@ajamafalous said:

Man, Ryan totally shit all over those guys. Reminds me of why I can't stand any video game shows or podcasts that aren't GB. Everything else just seems so tame, pandering, and uninformed. It's lowest common denominator bullshit. I would really enjoy it when Jeff and Ryan would get deep into industry discussion for 30 minutes on the Bombcast in years past. I wish they'd still do that, but I guess that's what Jar Time is for now.

That's interesting, considering the video linked in this thread is pretty much the antithesis of the Giant Bombcast. What I saw there is far more akin to what Garnett Lee and Jeff Cannata are doing on Weekened Confirmed. It's far more engaging and lends to topics worthy of discussion and debate.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By handlas

@vikingdeath1 said:

Do all current Gamespot staff just come off as lifeless human twitter feeds because I just don't know them top to bottom like I do the Giantbomb staff? I don't know a damn thing about those two guys but they seemed like a prissy overconfident hipster, and an idiot who doesn't understand how businesses work. (Guess who's who!)

Though i'm sure there are some Fine people working over at Gamespot, I only ever want to watch those two again if Ryan Davis is in the room to deliver Sick Burns!

mmmm I like Kevin VanOrd and that Chris Watters chap seems fine.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Portis

Watched it awhile back. It was awesome, they need to get Jeff on there too.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By kishinfoulux

Why does everyone hate Tom McShea? Just curious. I'm completely indifferent to him since I'm not super familiar with his work.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#119  Edited By Daneian

@Shaka999 said:

@ArbitraryWater: Sorry to spam your inbox, but I'm watching the Warfighter video... ok, now I see what you're talking about. For anyone who cares, click here.

Two things I regret: (1) clicking that link and (2) watching that video.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By aceofspudz

The part at 21 minutes or so when Ryan is calling one of the hosts out on incandescent vita bullshit is brilliant.

Edit: And around 28 when he lances their dreams of a steam console like an infected zit.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#121  Edited By Tennmuerti

Ryan spitting hot fire.

50 mins well spent

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#122  Edited By csl316

@aceofspudz said:

The part at 21 minutes or so when Ryan is calling one of the hosts out on incandescent vita bullshit is brilliant.

Edit: And around 28 when he lances their dreams of a steam console like an infected zit.

I was just about to post the same thing. Just knocked down Hot Shots Golf.

Poor Tom. He doesn't stand a chance.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By ajamafalous
@Napalm said:

@ajamafalous said:

Man, Ryan totally shit all over those guys. Reminds me of why I can't stand any video game shows or podcasts that aren't GB. Everything else just seems so tame, pandering, and uninformed. It's lowest common denominator bullshit. I would really enjoy it when Jeff and Ryan would get deep into industry discussion for 30 minutes on the Bombcast in years past. I wish they'd still do that, but I guess that's what Jar Time is for now.

That's interesting, considering the video linked in this thread is pretty much the antithesis of the Giant Bombcast. What I saw there is far more akin to what Garnett Lee and Jeff Cannata are doing on Weekened Confirmed. It's far more engaging and lends to topics worthy of discussion and debate.

I didn't mean it in the 'discussion/debate' format (because I'm personally not at all a fan of it), but more in the way that Jeff and Ryan would sometimes go really deep into what they thought about the direction of the industry and other behind the curtain stuff. I'm five months behind on the Bombcast, though (college'll do that to you), so I'm not sure if they've started getting back into it as a topic of discussion since May, but I feel like it'd been forever since I'd heard them weigh in with opinions like what Ryan did.
algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By algertman

Good Lord at that blind Sony fanboy.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By algertman

@Baillie said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

@CannonGoose said:

@Baillie said:

I honestly cannot stand Tom Mcshea. I would normally say no offence, but it's really not something I can help.

I'm in the same boat.

Was he the dude that was arguing with the Medal of Honor developer around E3 time? That guy was a major dork.

That's him.

It is completely ridiculous that man still has a job. If it's the video I'm thinking of he was horribly unprofessional about the whole thing.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By wjb

@ajamafalous: Nope. Have fun with the Summer of Off-Topic Discussion on the Bombcast.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By algertman

@BirdkeeperDan said:

I love it when Ryan said he walks out whenever he is asked if he preordered the game. Would love to more people act sensibly to that rediculous and infuriating question. The other guys in video seemed kindof clueless to me.

If you walk in a Gamestop on release date of a new game you are a idiot if you get offended or pissed at them asking you that question.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By napalm

@ajamafalous said:

@Napalm said:

@ajamafalous said:

I didn't mean it in the 'discussion/debate' format (because I'm personally not at all a fan of it), but more in the way that Jeff and Ryan would sometimes go really deep into what they thought about the direction of the industry and other behind the curtain stuff. I'm five months behind on the Bombcast, though (college'll do that to you), so I'm not sure if they've started getting back into it as a topic of discussion since May, but I feel like it'd been forever since I'd heard them weigh in with opinions like what Ryan did.

I've been listening to the Bombcast since the beginning, and I've yet to hear this hard-nosed industry opinion that you mention. Yeah, they'll definitely talk about industry trends and what's great, or what's terrible, but what I'm getting at, is you typically don't get this sort of super raw format when it comes to news and challenging opinions. That isn't a bad thing, and I don't want to make it seem like it is. A bit of discussion is what you get on the Bombcast, and that's fine, because there are other outlets for those raw debates.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By csl316

@algertman said:

@Baillie said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

@CannonGoose said:

@Baillie said:

I honestly cannot stand Tom Mcshea. I would normally say no offence, but it's really not something I can help.

I'm in the same boat.

Was he the dude that was arguing with the Medal of Honor developer around E3 time? That guy was a major dork.

That's him.

It is completely ridiculous that man still has a job. If it's the video I'm thinking of he was horribly unprofessional about the whole thing.

That was my first exposure to Tom McShea and it's unfortunately killed my interest in anything he says. My second exposure was Jeff on their podcast catching Tom contradicting himself on Bioware.

Speaking of which, Jeff would be great on this. Grumpy gaming vet toying with the newcomers. Break them in a bit.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Turambar

I went in there expecting some angry staring and yelling.  You guys have left me sorely disappointed.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Turambar
@Napalm said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Napalm said:

@ajamafalous said:

I've been listening to the Bombcast since the beginning, and I've yet to hear this hard-nosed industry opinion that you mention. Yeah, they'll definitely talk about industry trends and what's great, or what's terrible, but what I'm getting at, is you typically don't get this sort of super raw format when it comes to news and challenging opinions. That isn't a bad thing, and I don't want to make it seem like it is. A bit of discussion is what you get on the Bombcast, and that's fine, because there are other outlets for those raw debates.

More than anything else, Jeff and Ryan knows how ultimately lacking their knowledge is in the grand scheme of things.  They are able to form very informed concerns.  But they don't have solutions, and they admit to that every time they say the line "I don't know, because I don't make games."
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ajamafalous
@wjb said:

@ajamafalous: Nope. Have fun with the Summer of Off-Topic Discussion on the Bombcast.

Oh man, I can't wait
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Tennmuerti

@csl316: link? I tried looking for podcasts on gamespot but it's a fucking mess to navigate

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By csl316

@Tennmuerti: Yeah, it's not great but I tracked it down to this page.This one was pretty good, though I haven't checked out the other episodes. Brad was on ep. 4.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#136  Edited By evanbower

@Atlas said:

I was nearly falling asleep listening to the two Gamespot guys, then when Ryan jumped in it really kicked the show up several notches; I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying it a fair bit. Weird to see them using that studio for something other than the Whiskey Media/Giant Bomb Radio Show/Call in With Dave.

Also been reading the comments. Much more reasonable and level-headed than I remember GS comments being in the past, and seems like a very warm reception for Ryan's appearance, despite some people having a problem with his swearing and his exuberance. It's actually worked out pretty well having the two sites serving their own audiences so far; Gamespot is like Video Game Facebook, Giant Bomb is like Video Game Reddit. If Giant Bomb guys show up on Gamespot shows I'll definitely watch, but I think that too much cross pollination would probably be bad for Gamespot.

Another comparison; Gamespot as a television show would be aired at 7pm, while Giant Bomb TV would be late night 12am.

EDIT: This is a really good way to demonstrate just how much more personality and charisma the Giant Bomb crew has compared to most other video game journalists; Ryan generally makes better points than the other two guests, but he's also so much more interesting to listen to. Maybe they should get Patrick on one time, maybe people would stop hating on him and would realise he's actually great at his job and a very good fifth man on the crew.

The part about Patrick is spot on. It's very easy to take him for granted when he is just one member of what I consider the best gaming critics going. But if you compare his work to other video game journalism, it's easy to see what an asset he is to the team. (Love you Tricky.)

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#137  Edited By evanbower

@PeasantAbuse said:

@CannonGoose said:

@Baillie said:

I'm in the same boat.

Yep, that was him. And yeah, thats what bad video game journalists can get up to when Ryan isn't in the same room to stop them. All of those horrible, out of touch opinions they expressed during that show could easily have ended up as really bad features on Game Spot.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By HerbieBug

Ryan's shirt camouflages with the wall. :D

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By matthew

@CaLe said:

We need some kind of tracker for when the Giant Bomb people appear in GameSpot stuff. I miss these easily..

Yes. This please.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By iam3green

that was pretty good. i was expecting him to be yelling. o well it was good.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By kishinfoulux

"Tell me you're wrong"

"TELL ME YOU'RE WRONG!!!!".

Oh Ryan <3

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By HerbieBug

15 minutes in. Yep, this show is entertaining solely due to Ryan's radiant glow of charisma and truth. ♥

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#143  Edited By apathylad

I was pretty indifferent to Tom McShea, but his coverage of the new Medal of Honor game was one of the most painful things I've ever seen. For him to make comments about the trivialization of war but then admit to not playing any of the games was really unprofessional. I was a bit disappointed that he was the first person that appeared in the video. Maybe I'll watch it later. >.>

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By HerbieBug

"taking advantage of fandom"

What? How? What is that man even trying to say? What does that mean?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tom McShea status

[X] Told

[X] Bitch made and told

[X] BAH GAWD! IT'S STONE TOLD STEVE AUSTIN

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#146  Edited By Undeadpool

@TeflonBilly said:

Tom McShea status

[X] Told

[X] Bitch made and told

Oooooh, that third one is making me throw up from laughter a little bit.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Aegon

Looks like Ryan has some yang to say about Dishonored.

@Undeadpool said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Tom McShea status

[X] Told

[X] Bitch made and told

Oooooh, that third one is making me throw up from laughter a little bit.

Other than a Stone Cold Steve Austin reference, I don't get it.

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HerbieBug said:

"taking advantage of fandom"

What? How? What is that man even trying to say? What does that mean?

That because people are already fans they'll be willing to invest more. It's brand name recognition.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#149  Edited By Little_Socrates

@kishinfoulux said:

"Tell me you're wrong"

"TELL ME YOU'RE WRONG!!!!".

Oh Ryan <3

Great video. Ryan tore them UP on the Steam stuff. Not sure he's right about the solution, but I might buy that box for $150-200, and he's way more on base in terms of company ideals. Makes me wanna play some VIDEO GAMES.

EDIT: Also, wait, Ryan, Dishonored might not be good? You're killing me! Are Assassin's Creed and Halo gonna really be the games I'm gonna like this holiday? (X-Com looks great, but I have a feeling it's not for me. Gonna play the demo sometime soon.)

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By laussica

That was fantastic! Thanks for sharing that
Between this and Jeff on gamespot gameplay podcast the boy have really been showing that the guys at gamespot have no idea half the time